I think it somewhat unrealistic to expect K1 to be any type of "direct replacement" for 99. Imo. Quite a few folks were touting Classic as 99's "upgrade". Great as the Classic is, it represents a different product line, targeting a different market, imo. Even if they didn't really understand the intended target enough to even identify it. Lol.

As an automotive parallel, if someone tells me they're driving a Chevy, I pretty much assume it likely has four wheels and a steering wheel. Otherwise, the next predominant feature my brain seeks to catalog is size of that Chevy... is it a K30? A Van? A Vette??? Lol. All are Chevy's but vary drastically in form factor size. Different missions aimed at different targets. A van, useful as it can be, is no direct substitute for a Vette. Lol. Especially when maneuvering and parking. Classic and 9900 are both BlackBerry's but vary drastically in form factor size. Classic is no direct substitute for 9900, imo. Especially when maneuvering and "pocketing". Lol. Imo.

I'm not realistically expecting K1 to ever fully replace 99's compact comfort. I do expect it will fill in nicely for some activities. As a secondary carry. The ONLY way i'll retire 99 is if a TRUE upgrade to the form factor ever materializes. OR if 99 passes away... and I'm forced to press a Chevy Van into service as a Vette substitute... lol.
    09-16-17 08:15 AM
    Who here would buy another 9900 if there was a new production run of the device post-2017? Fantasy, sure, but BB has done it before and if it did happened again... I wouldn't bother with the K1, I'd just get another 9900 because it would be new with a new battery.

Most 9900 users today double device anyway, so the 9900, as it is, serves as a communication device that still does exactly what it needs to do!

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    09-18-17 05:47 PM
    ...Most 9900 users today double device anyway, so the 9900, as it is, serves as a communication device that still does exactly what it needs to do!
    Speaking of: I "double-device," with a separate SIM for my 9900. When I'm using it, I forward calls to my Passport on to the Bold, and that works just fine for me. I also change Passport BBM status somy contacts know I'm at "David Tyler Bold."

Occasionally, though, I'll come back to the Passport to find text messages from important contacts (my boss) that have been simmering while was off using the Ol' 99.

Enter Runisoft's "SMS to Email" app. Now text messages from the four people on my contact list a.) who don't have BBM and b.) whom i don't want to keep waiting get forwarded to one of the email accounts the Bold sees! Not only that, but -- wait for it -- their support was actually very prompt and helpful! >gasp!!<
    Check it out if you have a pair... of phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve and Parker_Lewis like this.
    09-18-17 07:56 PM
    Who here would buy another 9900 if there was a new production run of the device post-2017? Fantasy, sure, but BB has done it before and if it did happened again... I wouldn't bother with the K1, I'd just get another 9900 because it would be new with a new battery.

Most 9900 users today double device anyway, so the 9900, as it is, serves as a communication device that still does exactly what it needs to do!

I would but the problem is I don't like Android, in fact I detest it! I keep reading all these cyber security sites and so many problems are because Android does not retain tight control of their third party apps and there are holes, for example in the banking apps. I would honestly feel more secure using the 9900 for banking TODAY then a new android anything. I am just not reading much in the way to convince me that Android is that safe. Not to mention all the compromised apps Android just pulled because many were malware or key loggers. Sure ios has some issues but not like I am reading for Android. I find it fascinating that the adoption rate for ios is around 80%+ for updating to the newest software and the adoption rate for Android is something like 30% if that. So my question is, why does it seem like Android users dont care about security when obviously hackers target it more?

The size of the 9900 is perfect, and I wish Blackberry still did their own software but that is some major "dreaming" on my part too

I think I just read last week that there was another US company that stopped using or issueing Blackberry and a big part of that is because they think the Chinese (Alcatel) MIGHT have put backdoors into their chips. Now this might just be more of a fear that reality, but it was enough to stop recommending BB's.

It's just hard for me to get behind any of the new Blackberries.

EDIT: just realized I said BB should do their own software, my mistake

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-19-17 at 11:31 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-18-17 08:13 PM
    Speaking of: I "double-device," with a separate SIM for my 9900. When I'm using it, I forward calls to my Passport on to the Bold, and that works just fine for me. I also change Passport BBM status somy contacts know I'm at "David Tyler Bold."

Occasionally, though, I'll come back to the Passport to find text messages from important contacts (my boss) that have been simmering while was off using the Ol' 99.

Enter Runisoft's "SMS to Email" app. Now text messages from the four people on my contact list a.) who don't have BBM and b.) whom i don't want to keep waiting get forwarded to one of the email accounts the Bold sees! Not only that, but -- wait for it -- their support was actually very prompt and helpful! >gasp!!<
    Check it out if you have a pair... of phones.

I still wish I could get another sim on the same plan/number. I just don't get it, we pay over $100 for plans here and it's not like the cellular provider won't be getting my $, so why not allow 2 sims on the same plan here. Really irks me!

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    09-18-17 08:15 PM
    I think it somewhat unrealistic to expect K1 to be any type of "direct replacement" for 99. Imo. Quite a few folks were touting Classic as 99's "upgrade". Great as the Classic is, it represents a different product line, targeting a different market, imo. Even if they didn't really understand the intended target enough to even identify it. Lol.

As an automotive parallel, if someone tells me they're driving a Chevy, I pretty much assume it likely has four wheels and a steering wheel. Otherwise, the next predominant feature my brain seeks to catalog is size of that Chevy... is it a K30? A Van? A Vette??? Lol. All are Chevy's but vary drastically in form factor size. Different missions aimed at different targets. A van, useful as it can be, is no direct substitute for a Vette. Lol. Especially when maneuvering and parking. Classic and 9900 are both BlackBerry's but vary drastically in form factor size. Classic is no direct substitute for 9900, imo. Especially when maneuvering and "pocketing". Lol. Imo.

I'm not realistically expecting K1 to ever fully replace 99's compact comfort. I do expect it will fill in nicely for some activities. As a secondary carry. The ONLY way i'll retire 99 is if a TRUE upgrade to the form factor ever materializes. OR if 99 passes away... and I'm forced to press a Chevy Van into service as a Vette substitute... lol.
    I greatly admire your tenacity. You know what you want. You know what works for you. And by golly you're going to use what works for you until it's unusable.

I'm sure many might mistake that for stubbornness, but those of us who have had the privilege of wielding a 9900 for any amount of time understand your reasons. The typing/editing/OS and app navigating experience on a 9900 is still unmatched, in my experience.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-19-17 04:29 PM
    I greatly admire your tenacity. You know what you want. You know what works for you. And by golly you're going to use what works for you until it's unusable.

I'm sure many might mistake that for stubbornness, but those of us who have had the privilege of wielding a 9900 for any amount of time understand your reasons. The typing/editing/OS and app navigating experience on a 9900 is still unmatched, in my experience.
    Haha... wish I had a dime for every time I've been called "stubborn"... lol. Several here in the breakroom are chuckling over that one... lol.

Actually, I consider myself quite flexible when a truly better idea is presented and proven. Or, if situations change that might indicate a change toward other methods can improve productivity...

As an engineer, I'm well compensated for applying science to real world scenarios. If a particular tool demonstrates optimal performance for a given task, claiming a demonstrably less optimal tool is "as good" would demand dishonesty. Starting to myself. It might be that other considerations might demand a compromise in the optimized task, but that compromise must be honestly weighed and evaluated as applied to over-all suitability. Can't do that if we're lying to ourselves about how a tool fits each performance criteria, imo.

I do a LOT of typing each day. Some days two handsets aren't enough to keep multiple projects moving while trouble shooting multiple problems for sometimes frantic clients. The sun never sets on my global client base. NO way I'd get half as much done each day using voice only. Or with a single two handed handset. Or even with a PC and model M keyboard. Lol.

I own, and company also provides, the best of the best, afaik. That includes Classic, Passport, Z30, D60, 9650, 9900 and 9930. I'm constantly seeking to improve personal, and department, productivity. To date, NOthing keeps me in 24/7 contact better than the 9930/Classic combo. I'm surrounded by a couple dozen of some of the sharpest humans alive. Imo. They unanimously agree.

Whether by design, or accident, 9900 just provides an unmatched typing and navigational experience. Yes, it's no movie machine, but until something can DEMONSTRATE a more productive experience, or until that productivity gets re-prioritized, accepting anything less productive would demand unacceptable dishonesty to myself. Honesty can be a stubborn thing, sometimes... Lol.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-19-17 05:27 PM

I have loved the 9900 since i got it in 2011, i think OS7 really is such a good OS i wish that other app developers had the guts to stand up to the other OS's and tell them that they would also make their apps available for BBOS. The native Twitter app for blackberry works perfectly and so smoothly, like how it works on iphone and android, i think it's unfair that the other apps were so dismissive of BBOS because i think Instagram would have worked so good on the BBOS devices. Other than that, i think the editing, copying and pasting and using Docs To Go/Memopad on the 9900 is an amazing experience, my convenience key is set to Memopad so if i'm doing something in the Docs To Go and need to take a note of something i just hit that convenience key, i know in BB10 you can just swipe out of the Docs To Go app and into the Memopad but it doesn't feel the same, i think it might be a bit different on the Classic but i had the Q10 so i always had an issue with the copy/paste feature and even moving back in a sentence to add a word or change something it was so frustrating, they really messed up by removing the trackpad on the Q10, i'm committed to using the 9900 until BIS is not supported on any cell network in my country, then i'll switch to the Classic.

anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    09-19-17 06:05 PM
    I went to local Sprint store today and got to play with Note8, Essential, and KeyOne. Note8 is gorgeous, fast, but much too large and too expensive. Essential has an awesome screen, better size, fast speed, better price, sturdy construction (but impossible to repair so don't ever break it... ever). Key1... I disliked the slippery glass keyboard, the OS felt a bit sluggish compared to Essential or even *cough* my 9900! Key1 was also too tall and the screen...sucked. Sorry, but colors were just ghostly and low res compared to Note or Essential. The Hub? Where was it? I stumbled around the homescreen trying to find the bloody thing. Junk. Sorry, TCL, but Android is not BB10. Or even BB7. Thanks for trying. My Passport is better for me.

I'll stick with my 9900 as my primary (and often solely carried) phone. For apps, I'll stick with my nextbit at home.

09-19-17 07:57 PM
    I can't seem to "like" posts, anymore. Neither on 99 nor Classic. Pressing "like" just comes back as "JavaScript Alert. An error occurred" ... Ug! Am I going to be forced to install an app just to "like" posts??!!! Still researching...
    09-20-17 05:18 AM
    I can't seem to "like" posts, anymore. Neither on 99 nor Classic. Pressing "like" just comes back as "JavaScript Alert. An error occurred" ... Ug! Am I going to be forced to install an app just to "like" posts??!!! Still researching...
    It's been that way for a while on my BlackBerry 10 CB app. It seems you can only "like" posts on the CrackBerry web site.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-20-17 09:49 AM
    Originally Posted by idssteve

It's been that way for a while on my BlackBerry 10 CB app. It seems you can only "like" posts on the CrackBerry web site.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    That's weird. You can still like posts with Forum Fiend, but it's a third-party Android app.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-20-17 09:56 AM
    Just 'like' your post from CB app on my Passport

Posted via CB10
    09-20-17 10:09 AM
    And no, no button nor function for 'like' on my Bold.

09-20-17 10:18 AM
    Just 'like' your post from CB app on my Passport

Posted via CB10
    Haha... your Passport is a long reach from here, i'd bet. Lol. Thanks, but there are several posts from various contributors in several threads i'd like to "like"... only have 99 and Classic with me, right now. Might have to wait till I get home.

AND motel room light switch killed power to my Classic's wall wart last night. AGAIN! Ug. Obviously intended to control a floor lamp at one time. I've done this before but got lax about checking... woke up do dead Classic. Grr... no matter, quick batt swap with spare from charger in truck put Ol' 99 back to 100% in under 3 minutes... lol. Classic might be charged, by now... planning to check it over lunch hr...

BUT, i'd sure like to "like" a few posts, tho... go figure... lol.
    goodayeh likes this.
    09-20-17 10:27 AM
    Haha... your Passport is a long reach from here, i'd bet. Lol. Thanks, but there are several posts from various contributors in several threads i'd like to "like"... only have 99 and Classic with me, right now. Might have to wait till I get home.

AND motel room light switch killed power to my Classic's wall wart last night. AGAIN! Ug. Obviously intended to control a floor lamp at one time. I've done this before but got lax about checking... woke up do dead Classic. Grr... no matter, quick batt swap with spare from charger in truck put Ol' 99 back to 100% in under 3 minutes... lol. Classic might be charged, by now... planning to check it over lunch hr...

BUT, i'd sure like to "like" a few posts, tho... go figure... lol.
    Behold the power (pun intended) of the battery swap.

Posted from my  Classic
    idssteve likes this.
    09-20-17 10:33 AM
    And no, no button nor function for 'like' on my Bold.

Hmm... here's a screenshot from 99 of your post... shows the heart shaped button. It even reacts and adds to the "like count" before popping up the JavaScript Alert. Refresh then shows no "likes" were really added to the count... strange. Classic does the same exact thing. Haven't tried with laptop or droid, yet.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-s179509952095951195319520.jpg  
    09-20-17 10:39 AM
    Hmm... here's a screenshot from 99 of your post... shows the heart shaped button. It even reacts and adds to the "like count" before popping up the JavaScript Alert. Refresh then shows no "likes" were really added to the count... strange. Classic does the same exact thing. Haven't tried with laptop or droid, yet.
    You're not the only one having this issue. I've seen several threads elsewhere in the forums from others experiencing the same problem. Something to do with recent changes they've made to the website and forums.
    09-20-17 10:55 AM

Posted from my  Classic
    Yep, can't count the number of wall warts I've forgotten in lodging around the planet. Charger for 99's spare batteries is ALWAYS in truck. Haven't yet forgotten truck, so far... lol.
    09-20-17 11:06 AM

Thanks, i'll try laptop and maybe force CB into desktop mode, if that's still available... ? Not a BIG deal but hate seeing functionality evaporate...
    09-20-17 11:09 AM

Posted from my  Classic
    Also, thanks to freedom to power the thing without wires, I sometimes fall asleep with 99 clutched in hand, when expecting message or call... vibrate will wake and alert me... wondrous 24/7 availability. Availability my clients, coworkers and family rarely fail to express appreciation for. I've noticed response times have grown longer from many corners, in recent years.

Btw, no telling WHAT that almost continuous RF dose is doing to my left hand... lol. Something to ponder, at least.
    09-20-17 11:56 AM
    Grrr... Classic's iOttie contactless charge cradle has only pulled its charge up to about 22%, out in the hot truck. Classic was displaying its classic overheat message... don't even recall how it goes, anymore. Just know it by sight. Lol.

Now I'm stuck with deciding which pocket and how to arrange the wiring on my person to charge it from a power brick... Ug. Fortunately, I also plugged in old PlayBook this morning and it & Ol' 99 will get me thru another presentation this afternoon.

Seems like EVERY time I start getting comfortable with ANY thing but 99... it bites me. WHAT will I replace this thing with? Who makes a handset for real-life USE anymore? SOooo sick of trying to re-purpose toys as tools! GRrrr... ok, rant over. For now... lol.

BB just had things SO near perfection in 9900. Yes, it needed some upgrading... starting with camera...lol. They sure missed some sales by failing to offer an upgraded 9900-C with improved camera, imo. Lol. EVERY thing they've done since has strayed further and further from 9900's recipe that made it, arguably, BB's most successful of handsets! Yet they seem convinced there's some secret path to success thru abandoning 9900's every attribute. Go figure.

You can put 9900's exquisite PKB onto Classic, or larger, but the KB itself is only part of the typing experience... the REST of 99's compact form factor contributes to the secure grasp in hand that stabilizes that KB. It's a PACKAGE that very nearly approached perfection. Perfection they seem committed to "improving" on by making it BIGger, among other things.

I learned at a tender age: Attempts to "improve" on perfection can TOO inevitably result in less perfection... lol.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-20-17 01:25 PM
    Dag nabbit, idssteve. Every time I come in here and read your posts (more like essays), I get all nostalgic and want to use a 9900 again. I know it won't do most of what I expect a smartphone to do in 2017, but I still miss it.

Posted from my  Classic
    09-20-17 03:42 PM
    I only recently realized that with battery swaps, I didn't have to push the power button. All I needed to do was swap, wait a minute or two, and the 9900 would do the rest and power on by itself. Before, I kept tapping the power button and confusing it.

I don't know why people complain about the camera. By 2011 standards, it's above average. It still takes good pictures even now, one just needs to set up the conditions properly.

09-20-17 04:17 PM
    Dag nabbit, idssteve. Every time I come in here and read your posts (more like essays), I get all nostalgic and want to use a 9900 again. I know it won't do most of what I expect a smartphone to do in 2017, but I still miss it.

Posted from my  Classic
    Haha... its charms rest with how well it does the handful of things it does do. I concluded a long time ago that I'd never be satisfied with compromised solutions. Maintaining real time 24/7 availability is a BIG deal to me. Even after 6 years of trying quite a few options, 9900 is still THE old friend that manages to most competently collaborate WITH me and my priorities. Obviously, SOMEone at RIM comprehended what a grueling work day could be like. Maybe ML? Maybe feedback from 10s of millions of enterprise users? ??? Idk.

I do know that the compromises demanded by other solutions that "do more 2017 things" are unacceptable. Imo. Therefore, I find, and recommend at every chance, dual carry. I can carry "modern stuff" for "2017 things", on one hand. AND retain the superbly optimized communications masterpiece 99 represents in the other hand. Best of both worlds, imo. In fact, a certain politician might have been better advised to dual carry... lol.

While covering for half a dozen coworkers assisting with repairs in TX, FL, etc I've been toying with triple carry... a dedicated voice handset in pocket along with Classic in right hand and text master 99 in left... lol. Never too old for mental expansion... lol.
    Looks a lot like multitasking but is really a form of time sharing. If that makes sense. I might be "over the hill" but that downhill grade on the far side just helps get more done!!!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-20-17 05:39 PM
8,754 ... 247248249250251 ...