Haha, yep, something about charging a battery with a battery just seems inefficient. Battery charging is never 100% efficient. Neither is discharge. From the point power leaves the wall outlet, getting the phone battery charged involves charging the power brick, and then discharging it before phone batt is charged. A complete charge and a discharge cycle just getting the energy to your handset. Possibly as much as 20 to 50+% loss! Multiply that inefficiency by 100s of M of users worldwide and I'm really shocked Al Gore isn't scolding us about it. Excepting himself, of course. Lol.

On top of that, I have several handsets staring at me from my desk rejecting heat from their Qi charge pods. AND that heat must be extracted from the building via HVAC. More non-green nonsense our charge contact equipped 9900s can't be blamed for... lol.

Like I said, tho, I do frequently carry a charge pod for my Classic, or what ever embedded battery nonsense I'm carrying. I DO use it on my 9900 when batt is getting low, mid call. It can be plugged in to prolong endurance without interrupting the call. Otherwise, after the second low batt warning, I simply tell the caller i'll call them back in three minutes. Swap in a fresh JM1 (or Monster) and call them back 3 minutes later. Typically within an impressive few seconds of three minutes. Lol. We're both usually grateful for the break. Lol.
    09-10-17 05:11 AM
    Or, alternatively, i'll dial that caller from my secondary phone. Easily looked up & dialed using the other single hand on Classic. I'll hear a pause in conversation while caller excuses himself to accept another call. Only to find me as the other caller... lol. Works more seamlessly than it sounds. Lol.
    09-10-17 05:25 AM
    Absolutely, but I'll tell you this, if there's ever a power outage I'll take that 25% loss if it means a life-saving call to an ambulance or something like that. It's nice having three batteries for the BlackBerry but I don't have that option on the iPhone.
    09-10-17 06:25 PM
    Absolutely, but I'll tell you this, if there's ever a power outage I'll take that 25% loss if it means a life-saving call to an ambulance or something like that. It's nice having three batteries for the BlackBerry but I don't have that option on the iPhone.
    Yep, I carry one more often than not. A PITA for routine use but an invaluable PITA when really needed. Such as after hurricanes. My "smart guys" fabbed up some power bricks powered with swappable JM1 (or bigger). Works fabulously but they've all "gotten away" to other parts of our larger organization... lol.

As far as "efficiency" goes... if powered by renewables, who cares? Our "home facility" has zeroed out our light bill with solar for several years. My home is set up likewise so Al G can scold all he wants... we're SO far ahead of him... in "green"... "Green" to me is the $$$ saved by the grid tie solar. My home stays lit up and we heat and cool with windows open and couldn't care less... because it's free energy from Old Sol and just going back into the universe where it came. Lol.

About 5 or 6 of our clients are deep into renewables... and just getting started. An exciting future to behold.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-11-17 08:23 AM
    Well, I am finally back to my 9900. I am on TMO in USA. I have both the ATT bolds (bands 1,2,5,6) and the TMO bolds (bands 1,4,8). About 6 months ago I was switching between both versions of My bold 9900 and found that the Att versions were getting up to 18 Mb download speeds! The TMO version was only getting 3-5 Mb download speeds so I stayed with the Att version. Meanwhile over time my dl speeds on my ATT bold dropped to the point where I could barely get EDGE speeds and most times I had to (while in my home) stand on one leg while the other had to be at 90' , hold up my left arm with palm facing the window, hold my bold in my right hand straight forwards and then and maybe then I could catch an EDGE signal at home (ATT bold). Yuk, I did not want to do this every time in order to get a signal. So, I assumed the same scenario would happen if I switched to my TMO Bold and promptly put away my 9900. I really missed it. So yesterday I retried my att bold and same problem with the same pose I would have to assume to get a signal. I then put the sim into my TMO bold and VOILA I immediately had 4g with full bars!! No posing needed! lol. Seems to me that with TMO upgrading towers to LTE also had a negative affect on one of the ATT bands on my ATT bold. Any way, I am back with my Bold 9900.
    I also, still, carry a big phone mainly for web stuff and camera with is most important to me as I take tons of photos especially of my Yorkshire Terriers (2). MegPixel is most important to me in a camera as I like to see my photos on larger screens (9-10" tablets, up to 36" pc screens and of course my 70" HD tv). BS to those that say megapixel don't matter. So I tried to get the best camera phone with high MP (only the older Lumia 1020 has the size I want (41Mp). I have the S8 (ok camera but a phone that went on a diet (toooo skinny), the one+five ( phone cam just as good as the S8 and the device is wider), LG v10 (okay). I only carry one big device with my Bold 9900 (which is the best communication device period!). And the big device I like to carry is my Nexus6-perfect size and as the screen is wider I can get better views of my photos although the camera is good it does not match my newer phones (S8, one+5) camera. Lumia 1020 best camera for me but device is way too slow and I can't get my favourite news site apps on it.
    And as surprising as it is, my Bold 9900 does indeed take good photos in a pinch but due to low Mp rating of camera, I cannot really view 9900 pics on a big screen without losing clarity.
    anon(9721108) and petertinh like this.
    09-12-17 06:27 AM
    Well, I am finally back to my 9900. I am on TMO in USA. I have both the ATT bolds (bands 1,2,5,6) and the TMO bolds (bands 1,4,8). About 6 months ago I was switching between both versions of My bold 9900 and found that the Att versions were getting up to 18 Mb download speeds! The TMO version was only getting 3-5 Mb download speeds so I stayed with the Att version. Meanwhile over time my dl speeds on my ATT bold dropped to the point where I could barely get EDGE speeds and most times I had to (while in my home) stand on one leg while the other had to be at 90' , hold up my left arm with palm facing the window, hold my bold in my right hand straight forwards and then and maybe then I could catch an EDGE signal at home (ATT bold). Yuk, I did not want to do this every time in order to get a signal. So, I assumed the same scenario would happen if I switched to my TMO Bold and promptly put away my 9900. I really missed it. So yesterday I retried my att bold and same problem with the same pose I would have to assume to get a signal. I then put the sim into my TMO bold and VOILA I immediately had 4g with full bars!! No posing needed! lol. Seems to me that with TMO upgrading towers to LTE also had a negative affect on one of the ATT bands on my ATT bold. Any way, I am back with my Bold 9900.
    I also, still, carry a big phone mainly for web stuff and camera with is most important to me as I take tons of photos especially of my Yorkshire Terriers (2). MegPixel is most important to me in a camera as I like to see my photos on larger screens (9-10" tablets, up to 36" pc screens and of course my 70" HD tv). BS to those that say megapixel don't matter. So I tried to get the best camera phone with high MP (only the older Lumia 1020 has the size I want (41Mp). I have the S8 (ok camera but a phone that went on a diet (toooo skinny), the one+five ( phone cam just as good as the S8 and the device is wider), LG v10 (okay). I only carry one big device with my Bold 9900 (which is the best communication device period!). And the big device I like to carry is my Nexus6-perfect size and as the screen is wider I can get better views of my photos although the camera is good it does not match my newer phones (S8, one+5) camera. Lumia 1020 best camera for me but device is way too slow and I can't get my favourite news site apps on it.
    And as surprising as it is, my Bold 9900 does indeed take good photos in a pinch but due to low Mp rating of camera, I cannot really view 9900 pics on a big screen without losing clarity.
    Cool. Are you doing email on the 9900?
    09-12-17 10:09 AM
    Yep, gmail is not an issue on my 9900. I have three gmails syncing to my 9900. Only problem I have is that calendar won't sync on one of my gmails which which I have setup with the two step authentical setup. I suspect that I may have to remove the two step authentication but I don't want to do this as my main gmail account has been compromised sometime back.
    09-12-17 03:01 PM
    Yep, gmail is not an issue on my 9900. I have three gmails syncing to my 9900. Only problem I have is that calendar won't sync on one of my gmails which which I have setup with the two step authentical setup. I suspect that I may have to remove the two step authentication but I don't want to do this as my main gmail account has been compromised sometime back.
    I remember setting up gmail and I had to "allow less secure devices" for the mail to take, but then once that is done you can turn it off in the desktop settings again.

I would still feel comfortable doing emails on the 9900 but as for phone banking, NO.
    09-12-17 03:48 PM
    Good info. Maybe I will give it a shot to see if I can get calendar to sync.
    09-12-17 04:35 PM
    Welcome back home! . I also typically "dual carry" a secondary big phone for occasional fill in. Best of both, imo. Compared with ANY thing else in my stable, including next best Classic, I get at least twice the messages processed per day when 99's my primary messaging handset. AND endure less than half the fatigue by day's end. In fact, messaging on 99 is SOooo efficient, I sometimes enjoy surplus time to post in these forums. Lol. Time I simply don't have available when trying to keep up on messages using my bigger, less efficient, phones. Gotta have the big stuff for a few essentials but just can't beat old 99 for communications. The combo makes for optimal daily efficiency. Imo.

Good to hear about TMO. Might have to give that 4G 99 a try. My ATT stuff has gotten almost useless in my locales. Thought it was just my locales but sounds more systemic? Hmm. I do miss my PP but have pretty well stopped carting it since ATT isn't reliable enough for me, where I'm working. TMO might be worth looking in to, tho. Lol.
    09-13-17 07:11 AM
    In today's news of the weird, Youtube is back up and running on the Bold 9900.

They must be working on the back end, because they broke Youtube on my old Tegra2-based Tablet this Spring. Then, about four months later, it was suddenly fixed. Now the Bold's Youtube has been broken and fixed.

Nice to know that they're still willing to work on legacy compatibility.
    09-13-17 08:53 AM

They must be working on the back end, because they broke Youtube on my old Tegra2-based Tablet this Spring. Then, about four months later, it was suddenly fixed. Now the Bold's Youtube has been broken and fixed.

With a sim installed or no sim?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    09-13-17 04:02 PM
    Originally Posted by Shuswap

With a sim installed or no sim?

Oh. No SIM. That matters?

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-13-17 04:22 PM
    I'm getting this on YouTube, no sim...

So I assumed that maybe you put the Sim back into your 9900.

09-13-17 04:42 PM
    Just noticed that my Voice Notes's dates have all been changed to last year when I put the Micro SD card into this device when in fact those voice notes I wanted to keep were from 2013 when I had the 9790/9780. For some reason the dates all changed. Its not a big deal but I kinda liked to know when those notes were received, too bad about this but I suppose it is the normal operation.

09-13-17 05:20 PM
    I'm getting this on YouTube, no sim...

So I assumed that maybe you put the Sim back into your 9900.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27161ae063.jpg
    Ralph, I had SSL turned off in my settings. Go into Options - Security - Advanced Security Settings - TLS. On that screen Permit SSL 3.0 and Permit Insecure Renegotiation are not checked. Also Encryption Strength and Digest Strength are both set to "Strong Only." Try that and see if it works. Record your settings first though, because you might want to change them back if changing the settings screws up something else.
    09-13-17 06:20 PM
    I’m waiting on my 9930 to come in the suspense is killing me my last blackberry was a z10 before that the Tour 9630 and countless curves I am foaming at the mouth for it to get here.
    09-13-17 06:47 PM
    Ralph, I had SSL turned off in my settings. Go into Options - Security - Advanced Security Settings - TLS. On that screen Permit SSL 3.0 and Permit Insecure Renegotiation are not checked. Also Encryption Strength and Digest Strength are both set to "Strong Only." Try that and see if it works. Record your settings first though, because you might want to change them back if changing the settings screws up something else.
    Tried it. Nope it doesn't work. No Biggie tho because with the Sim in it always worked and it will again.

09-13-17 07:35 PM
    I’m waiting on my 9930 to come in the suspense is killing me my last blackberry was a z10 before that the Tour 9630 and countless curves I am foaming at the mouth for it to get here.
    lols I think you will find it is the most solid and quality BB ever built. But be warned.......that Keyboard is addictive and you will be writing long essays to your friends to the point they will be saying "oh no not another novel from him"

09-13-17 07:38 PM
    Lol... some of us are known for "novels posing as posts" around here... my posts are at least twice as long on 99. Partly because I have more disposable time after getting twice the work done on my "tiny but mighty" 99. Lol.
    09-13-17 08:11 PM
    Lol... some of us are known for "novels posing as posts" around here... my posts are at least twice as long on 99. Partly because I have more disposable time after getting twice the work done on my "tiny but mighty" 99. Lol.
    But we like reading your novels so it's all good

Be honest, you like typing on that thing so much, that's why
    09-13-17 10:19 PM
    But we like reading your novels so it's all good

Be honest, you like typing on that thing so much, that's why
    Haha.... True, guilty as charged.... 99's exquisite charms seduces paragraphs from thumbs in irresistibly enchanting ways... lol.

Once caught up with work tasks, and impatiently waiting for replies from others doing their part, my left thumb instinctively turns to forums seeking more excuses to practice typing. A demonstrably valuable skill readily applied to all corners of life... lol. These things can become part of muscle memory seemingly extrapolated from parts of the brain directing vocal chords, etc... for speech. Except that THIS communication can happen easily in loud environments. Quiet environments. ... even while dining... lol. All in a single hand without EVER demanding input from right hand operating fork or coffee mug... lol.
    09-14-17 03:38 AM
    Haha.... True, guilty as charged.... 99's exquisite charms seduces paragraphs from thumbs in irresistibly enchanting ways... lol.

Once caught up with work tasks, and impatiently waiting for replies from others doing their part, my left thumb instinctively turns to forums seeking more excuses to practice typing. A demonstrably valuable skill readily applied to all corners of life... lol. These things can become part of muscle memory seemingly extrapolated from parts of the brain directing vocal chords, etc... for speech. Except that THIS communication can happen easily in loud environments. Quiet environments. ... even while dining... lol.
    I'm curious Steve, what do you think of the Key ones keyboard? You ordered one right?
    09-14-17 03:39 AM
    I'm curious Steve, what do you think of the Key ones keyboard? You ordered one right?
    Yep, sight unseen. I haven't even held one so can't say much. I guess I'm expecting a "Google-ized" cross between Dtek60 and Passport.??? But truly won't know till I work it a few days... or months... lol. I frequently "single hand" my Passport but that typically means finding places to lean a corner against. For optimal output speed & precision, at least. Likewise Classic, but a little less so. Classic's toolbelt is SO handy for single handing, tho.

I'm hopeful that maybe TCL is more adept at identifying niche roots than BBRY ever was. We'll see.

Either way, I've found uses for my monster D60 and hope a PKB droid can be slightly more useful, for my thumb, at least. Lol.
    09-14-17 04:03 AM
    Sure. There is more interest in 9900 aka KEYone
    atree.english likes this.
    09-16-17 06:49 AM
8,754 ... 246247248249250 ...