Doing my weekly battery maintenaance and sure great to hear that "clickiness."

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    08-31-17 12:40 AM
    The BB charging block running so hot I can't touch it where the BB logo is.

Normal?

I would say it is 5 times hotter than the aftermarket 12 watt block I use on my iphone. I don't think I ever compared them before or really noticed this.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 08-31-17 at 01:13 AM.
    08-31-17 01:02 AM
    Definitely not normal. It should be just a bit warm. Hot is for the like of Passport and Priv. Untouchable sounds like trouble.
    I would stop and disconnect everything from the power source, let everything cool down, then try again with different charger, cable, or power socket. But more likely the charging cube is the problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-17 05:11 AM
    Definitely not normal. It should be just a bit warm. Hot is for the like of Passport and Priv. Untouchable sounds like trouble.
    I would stop and disconnect everything from the power source, let everything cool down, then try again with different charger, cable, or power socket. But more likely the charging cube is the problem.

Posted via CB10
    The battery itself is actually cool to the touch, just slightly "warm" so I don't think it's going to pull a "Note 5" and light a campfire or anything .
    08-31-17 01:01 PM
    So it is the charging cube, or the socket. Or maybe the supplied power went a bit lower than normal and the charger was trying hard to pull enough to supply for the phone. Hope that it will not repeat when you retry the charger.

I've got two Priv chargers burnt in fairly similar situation, with the addition of eerie noise. The charges were hot, the phone was lightly warm as normal. after about a week, the charges were not only hot but came with this eerie noise like noise from an old light tube in those scary movie, just not as loud. Then after another week or more, the chargers were dead. My postmortem finding shows a kind of shot between the diodes with burnt mark.

I lost two Priv charger within about a month. They were NA model. The UK charger for my Passport has been used from first launch until now, which has an earth pin. I took it back from the office and have plugged it in the same socket for 3 months now without having a problem. Not sure what happened but I think a big part is the reduced quality of Blackberry's products in its last couple of years.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-priv-charger-burn.jpg
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    09-01-17 01:35 AM
    So it is the charging cube, or the socket. Or maybe the supplied power went a bit lower than normal and the charger was trying hard to pull enough to supply for the phone. Hope that it will not repeat when you retry the charger.

I've got two Priv chargers burnt in fairly similar situation, with the addition of eerie noise. The charges were hot, the phone was lightly warm as normal. after about a week, the charges were not only hot but came with this eerie noise like noise from an old light tube in those scary movie, just not as loud. Then after another week or more, the chargers were dead. My postmortem finding shows a kind of shot between the diodes with burnt mark.

I lost two Priv charger within about a month. They were NA model. The UK charger for my Passport has been used from first launch until now, which has an earth pin. I took it back from the office and have plugged it in the same socket for 3 months now without having a problem. Not sure what happened but I think a big part is the reduced quality of Blackberry's products in its last couple of years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Priv charger-burn.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	452.4 KB 
ID:	429356
    Hmm well sometimes I hear a tiny high pitched whine sound, but it is very faint. (It comes from the block if you put your ear right on it). I've noticed the whine since it was new so I never thought anything of it.

My charging cable is an official BB brand that came with the charging pod desktop charger I bought last year. I also have a wall charger for spare batteries so at least o have options to charge them I suppose.

Will keep an eye on it
    09-01-17 01:44 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Priv charger-burn.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	452.4 KB 
ID:	429356
    Haha... signs of heat elsewhere on that board, also. Too hot to touch can generally be considered >140*F=60*C. Definitely a problem with a consumer device. Possibly triggered by surge (lightning a mile away?) or surge (disconnecting DC side under load) or static from walking across carpet before handling or, like you said, low voltage conditions in AC supply????

All things that should have been designed around. And likely were designed around but for unexpected component tolerance stack ups. Or aging drift... I've experienced quite a variety in component tolerance in recent years. Lol. Heat frequently aggravates tolerance stack ups.

Failures like these typically just get popularly "blown off" as "age failure". Lol. Time for a new one, obviously. Rule of thumb: bigger=better for long term durability, imo. More thermal mass combined with added surface area for heat rejection... more margin, in general... I still favor my collection of PlayBook "yellow tail" chargers... Haven't seen those for sale for quite some time...
    09-01-17 07:59 AM
    Yep, the sign of heat is quite obvious in the original size pictures. There was a kind of insulation which turned into soft gooey stuff. Bits of it can be seen sticking on the parts n the lower right.

Not sure what happened in my case. Power here is usually a bit lower than standard but would still be within the range of the charger, 100V-240V. The second charger was fresh out of the box, but I had that box for about a year and a half, lol.

Anyway, back to the Passport UK charger which has been pretty reliable. And I still have that 2A yellow Playbook charger.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 06:14 AM
    Awesome. Your gang is probably solely responsible for BIS living on!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Lol... we might be blamed for hoarding KBs, at least...
    09-03-17 07:04 AM
    Someone else thinks extended battery adds grip, it seems... lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EW...UvbUpU13009295

Ordered a couple... we'll see...
    Update on Mugen 3600s... they seem at least as good as Seidio 3000s... same physical size. The same extended cover fits over both of them. Ordered up several for some of my crew down in the TX mess... no power, distant cell service but they report a SOLID day, if not two, under low signal conditions ... makes a very useful combo for the task...

Those guys floated to the client's plant and retrieved some of the more expensive "irreplaceables"... lol. They wound up helping out stranded folks, also... just too much water & no where for it to go... quite a mess, but both of these guys grew up in parts of the world where such flooding is expected annually. They happened to be on site just before the storm and disobeyed orders to abandon the plant's "irreplaceable" stuff we were installing. They already know it'll fall on me to "chew them out" but they're in-house heroes , none the less. .
    09-03-17 07:29 AM
    Update on Mugen 3600s... they seem at least as good as Seidio 3000s... same physical size. The same extended cover fits over both of them. Ordered up several for some of my crew down in the TX mess... no power, distant cell service but they report a SOLID day, if not two, under low signal conditions ... makes a very useful combo for the task...

Those guys floated to the client's plant and retrieved some of the more expensive "irreplaceables"... lol. They wound up helping out stranded folks, also... just too much water & no where for it to go... quite a mess, but both of these guys grew up in parts of the world where such flooding is expected annually. They happened to be on site just before the storm and disobeyed orders to abandon the plant's "irreplaceable" stuff we were installing. They already know it'll fall on me to "chew them out" but they're in-house heroes , none the less. .
    Couple of interesting Canadian related stories I read concerning Texas.....

http://www.925freshradio.ca/2017/08/...s-help-anyway/

And I think the world needs more stories like this right now!.....

http://m.torontosun.com/2017/09/01/c...harvey-victims

As long as the 9900's were saved
    09-03-17 11:20 AM
    Double post
    09-03-17 11:21 AM
    Couple of interesting Canadian related stories I read concerning Texas.....

Texas flood victim mistakenly calls Canada for help; gets help anyway! | 92.5 Fresh Radio Edmonton

And I think the world needs more stories like this right now!.....

Canada preparing to deliver aid shipments for Texas Harvey victims | News | Toronto Sun

As long as the 9900's were saved
    Lol, no 9900's at risk... lives are, tho. Sounds like quite a mess. Safe drinking water and communications are both critically short in spots. Those guys are both exquisitely resourceful and have gotten involved with efforts. Both are licensed engineers in TX. In fact, quite a few of my crew are talking about traveling down there to help... we discussed sending some phones for stranded folks and IT thinks a way can be found (prepaid?) but that BIS wouldn't be very stranger friendly. I've donated my old Q to the cause, tho. Lol.

After emptying the Coffee can on the break room table a couple times, our company set up a fund and quite a few clients are also donating. Goes to Red Cross, I've heard.

I'm doubling down on some projects to free up crew members. Old 99 is already getting a work out... lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-03-17 at 04:51 PM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-03-17 03:17 PM
    When you said some clients went to retrieve some "irreplaceables" I just assumed you meant any Blackberry device

09-04-17 02:46 AM
    Actually was concerned that I had a bad battery on my iphone 7 because I was only getting 4 hours out of a full charge as opposed to the usual 6-8 with relatively heavy use (exact same amount with the 99 when I used it daily) for the last few days. I think it was a bad app I recently installed so I removed it and did a few other tricks to maximize battery life and I think I took care of it.

I was actually looking foreward to having to put the sim back into the 9900 if I had to ship the iphone away. Apple has their meat-hooks into me allright, but it is amazing how relaxed and "home" I feel when I use the 9900 as opposed to any other device.

09-04-17 03:00 AM
    When you said some clients went to retrieve some "irreplaceables" I just assumed you meant any Blackberry device

Haha... The only thing irreplaceable (no quotes) are the people. Especially those two guys! Lol. I've joked that training their replacements would delay my retirement ANOTHER 15 yrs! Lol. As things turned out, the plant didn't really flood so bad but they've gotten involved in other efforts. Likely planned that way... Lol.
    09-04-17 07:01 AM
    Saw the K1 at Rogers....

The guy said they have heard of the screens falling off
    09-05-17 05:06 PM
    I'd be very reluctant to buy one. I once bought a Macbook Pro for my wife -- a model that had a history of GPU failures -- thinking that the GPU failure must not be as common as people made it out to be. Well, it failed. On the positive side, by the time hers failed, Apple had caved in to major public pressure, and fixed them for free under a special extended warranty. So we got lucky. But I'd want to see a manufacturing date before I'd drop that kind of cash on a KEYone.

You know, I hate glass slabs, but there's a lot less to go wrong on one. As long as it doesn't catch your house on fire!

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-05-17 07:37 PM
    True.... there's a lot less to go wrong with semaphore flags, also.... lol. My ancestors evolved vocal chords partly to free up hands from communications duties. Occupying either hand for communications interferes enough with other pursuits, imo. Occupying BOTH hands just to communicate just feels too unproductive to the old "super achiever" in me, I guess. Lol.

Too bad K1 had that issue. Really too bad so much hard won experience must be re-learned under the same name... I plan to get the 4/64 GB version, once (if?) available for VZW. Just as a secondary carry... hoping it's single handed possible...

Classic is still my fave for secondary carry, tho. If I'm going to occupy two hands communicating, it will be to hold TWO handsets so I can get TWICE as much done! Lol.

Old 99 still represents the Stradivarius of perfected single handed communications comfort! It so readily extends thoughts into muscle memory words, they'll likely have to pry it from my cold, dead, LEFT hand.... !!!! Lol.

At least a handful of us have been privileged to experience these wonderfully configured marvels. I finally encountered a too brief opportunity to hold and play a genuine Strad, last week. A "life altering" experience that I'm still recovering from! Room filling projection, response, clarity... !! It made even MY pathetic skills sound "pro". Lol. And three centuries after construction, our best modern attempts, in my collection at least, don't hold a candle... Knowledge lost. Possibly forever.

Will ANYone even remember BlackBerry or 9900 three centuries from now? Too bad THAT knowledge evaporated as it did. The masses will never know what they missed... ignorance IS bliss, sometimes.... lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-06-17 at 05:45 AM.
    09-06-17 05:18 AM

Will ANYone even remember BlackBerry or 9900 three centuries from now? Too bad THAT knowledge evaporated as it did. The masses will never know what they missed... ignorance IS bliss, sometimes.... lol.
    More like 3 years not 300 ;-). I still run into people and when I asked them about BlackBerry they say, didn't they go bankrupt because I haven't seen them around for a long time.
    09-06-17 10:29 AM
    Bought this today for like 13 bucks, a power bank I've never used one before. It looks like the cable that came with is a micro USB which might work on the BlackBerry? But I suppose I can use my own lightning cable if I need it for the iPhone also . I'm not really sure why they included a USB cable? Can someone advise me
    09-09-17 04:12 PM
    Cool, it is charging the blackberry.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-09-17 at 05:35 PM.
    09-09-17 04:15 PM
    I guess I find it curious why they would include a Micro USB and not a Lightning cable as well. Hmm, they must be implying that more people use Android/BB's than ios devices

EDIT: it charged my 9900 from 20% or so in an hour to FULL! Pretty impressed.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-09-17 at 05:55 PM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-09-17 05:37 PM
    Micro usb is pretty ubiquitous. Apple's always been odd on that. Afaik. That power brick is almost the size of a 9900! Lol. I got one back when I got my embedded battery Classic and soon learned they had to be pretty large to extend endurance meaningfully for me. About a couple weeks later I reasoned that I get more use out of a spare 99 than out of a spare battery. Lol. Still carry a smaller power brick for extending conversation without interruption. JM1s are VERY compact tho... lol.
    09-09-17 10:24 PM
    Micro usb is pretty ubiquitous. Apple's always been odd on that. Afaik. That power brick is almost the size of a 9900! Lol. I got one back when I got my embedded battery Classic and soon learned they had to be pretty large to extend endurance meaningfully for me. About a couple weeks later I reasoned that I get more use out of a spare 99 than out of a spare battery. Lol. Still carry a smaller power brick for extending conversation without interruption. JM1s are VERY compact tho... lol.
    Haha yeah it is SMALL! I was a little concerned while the bank was depleted after using up the factory charge on the 9900, because in charging the bank, the instructions are pretty vague, they did not say if it can be damaged if overcharged. The bank ran VERY HOT while charging. There are 3 colours for the light to indicate the charging status but it was "green" after only 15 minutes indicating "FULL" but I KNEW it could not be full because the instructions say 4.5 hours to fully charge the bank. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it cooled after 4 hours and the green light went out, indicating FULL (but no mention of this in the manual).

Also because I knew NOTHING about these power banks I tried charging the bank AND my iPad Air at the same time while plugged in. The iPad was WAAAAY too much for the tiny bank to charge and I have never seen my battery % gauge go backwards while it was plugged in at the same time .

Too funny.

The iPad battery must be around 6000 mah (just a guess) and the 3000 bank was just too weenie.

I read an interesting article about how you can only expect a bank to give you about 75% of the charge they claim. For example if you have a galaxy S7 with a 3000 mah battery, this 3000 mah power bank would only give you around 2300 mah or a 75% charge. This had something to do with watt or volt conversions from device to device.
    09-09-17 10:36 PM
8,754 ... 245246247248249 ...