It's become pretty common on Android phones, but none of them ever seem as clear or execute the notification function via LED as well as the original BlackBerry handsets
    Wish my iPhone had it.

And yeah it was pretty tiny. My 9780 was the best, if you were awake at 4 am trying to sleep and had sound alerts off, the red blinking light could light the entire room, in pitch blackness.
    08-17-17 02:47 AM
    Apps like Advance OS & Led can customize BB's notification led color, blink rate, etc ... for each contact and message type. I know at a peripheral glance whether it's a call, voice mail, email, sms, mms, BBM, ... AND if it's the wife, Boss, grandkids, coworkers, certain clients, ... even when the assignable ring tones are silenced.

Pretty obvious that SOMEone at BB had actually participated in business meetings themselves... Lol.

I'm far from expert on my D60 but sure haven't found anything in GoogleVerse within light years of 99's notification functionality. Afaik.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-17-17 07:51 AM
    08-18-17 12:06 PM
    Yep, that the first Bold. The chrome on the bezel of this one is coming off. Time to rub it with vinegar to completely remove the chrome, and it will be a full black bold. Would look great.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 08:27 PM
    Someone else thinks extended battery adds grip, it seems... lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EW...UvbUpU12993932

Ordered a couple... we'll see...
    08-19-17 08:52 PM
    Someone else thinks extended battery adds grip, it seems... lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EW...UvbUpU12994159

Ordered a couple... we'll see...
    THE BEAST
    08-20-17 01:59 AM
    Guilty as charged. Lol. The Beast Monster is my 5000mAh but I'm down to only one of those. The one we decided to call "Horse" a couple yrs ago. lol. Its siblings have long since perished but this single surviving example continues to impress. SOMEone got something too right with that one. Lol.

I've been using Seidio 3000s to great affect but they no longer seem available. Gonna try these Mugen 3000s. Will see.

I've grown to really like two-three day endurance. Really nice to just not have to worry with charging cables, wall warts, etc. The spare battery charger in my truck keeps one "Beast" charged and I typically swap it out each night after pulling in the driveway. Or motel parking lot, if in the field. Nice to know I can count on the 3000s for a typical week end. That 5000 gets popped in when expecting a 3 day weekend. Always a spare in pocket, tho.

Of course I've been powering this battle damaged 9930 with battery swaps for about half a year since its usb and charge contacts were damaged in "a great fall"... Poor Humpty... Lol. It sorta looks hump backed... Lol.

I've grown to really like the shelf on the back for the added grasp it provides. Pretty much beyond doubt that my singlehanded typing rate & precision improve significantly with the extended battery cover fitted. Even with OEM JM1 fitted under the extended cover...

Thin might be great for VKB where zero force and zero displacement are involved in typing. But, the forces and movement generated by PKB typing make a thicker handset more stable to type on. Imo. Something Mugen has chosen to advance as a sales pitch on Amazon... Lol. Go figure...
    08-20-17 04:26 AM
    Right now I am using a hand me down iPhone 5 and to me it has some endearing qualities. I like it in the same way I used to like my 9900. I think of the OS and being somewhat like BBOS. If a phone called friendly then I think that the 5 and 9900 seem to have that vibe. My android device lacks in personality .
    08-20-17 11:10 AM
    Right now I am using a hand me down iPhone 5 and to me it has some endearing qualities. I like it in the same way I used to like my 9900. I think of the OS and being somewhat like BBOS. If a phone called friendly then I think that the 5 and 9900 seem to have that vibe. My android device lacks in personality .
    Similar to the iPhone 5C I used for 3 years but right now I would be careful what you put on the iPhone (because yours cannot be updated now I think) because here is the latest.....

https://amp.ibtimes.co.uk/hacker-lea...curity-1635714

Fortunately for those of us that do phone banking, Apple has said the security is in "layers" but this exploit might not get fixed until ios11.

Ps ios 11 is going to be too much like Android and I am NOT looking foreword to it.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-20-17 11:46 AM
    Yeah, I play with my D60 when I feel adventurous but it really feels like an exhaustingly garbled mess... to MY brain, anyway. Lol. Can't imagine what sort of brain damage i'd have to inflict on myself to make efficient sense of it. Lol.

That said, my brain is flexible enough to handle just about any OS and GUI. Hardware is most important, to me. I'll get a K1, and still hope for a Key99 someday , but if ever forced to abandon PKB and/or toolbelt, i'll likely investigate iOS. Something to be said for the same company making their own software for the hardware they produce... lol.
    08-21-17 12:40 AM
    Something to be said for the same company making their own software for the hardware they produce... lol.
    Doesn't Google+ do that for the pixel ;-) yeah I am personally not looking forward to the garbled mess that ios11 is expected to be.

The beauty of Apple is its simplicity and ease of use and I don't like that they're trying to make iOS 11 software more android like and I think the idea is they want the iPad pros to be able to replace laptops with things like drag-and-drop etc.I have no idea how I'm going to teach my parents to do all that on their iPads it's already bad enough LOL
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 08-21-17 at 02:19 AM.
    08-21-17 12:54 AM
    Doesn't Google+ do that for the pixel ;-)
    Well, they're owned by the same parent company, afaik. Have to wonder if Google code "engineers" actually carry and use Pixel, or ANY droid, themselves? One would assume so but... I see scant indication of inter-department coordination, imo. I really know next to nothing about droid other than this D60, tho. Afaik, I assume BB's influence has pulled things together a little more coherently than regular droid??? Coherence isn't a word i'd associate with D60 but then I'm still steep in learning curve. Lol.

Personally using the products they sell is referred to as "eating Alpo" in some corners. Referring to an Alpo exec who publicly opened and ate a can of their product as a demonstration of confidence in the products they sell. It's easy to see plenty of "Alpo eating" in our Bolds. Someone, somewhere, actually carried and used the products. You'll NEVER convince me that BB10 devs carried and used Classic's calendar app in monthly mode, for example. BB10 clearly lost contact with "Alpo". Imo. From what I've seen in my newB explorations,,Google doesn't really do "Alpo", or at least some aspect of their structure is limiting their feedback loop. Imo. Fwiw.

I know quite a lot less about iOS but what others have shown & expressed indicates a coherence somewhat reminiscent of BBOS coherence. Coherence derived from healthy consumption of "Alpo"... lol.
    08-21-17 05:17 AM
    My iPhone 5 will not be eligible for iOS11. I am waiting for November when my Samsung contract runs out. That Samsung has not and likely will not been upgraded to the latest OS. The battery is already failing and the device is less than two years old.

The iPhone with a new battery runs great so there is no hurry. The best part of my Samsung is the Colbalt VKB.
    08-21-17 10:36 AM
    Finally performed "dry dock repairs" on my battle damaged 9930. Bent back into place and soldered charging contact, cleaned out limestone dust that was packed into usb port, and replaced keyboard! Yay! One might never know the old 99 took a second story tumble against scaffolding, skid steer, and graveled earth... about six months ago. Lol. New keyboard feels...well... New. Lol. Nothing really wrong with the old one, other than paint wear, but while she was undergoing repairs... .

Happy to report charging contacts now work and it's wonderful to charge in truck's SmoothTalker car cradle again. USB still requires a little jiggling to make contact but I don't use it for charging anyway. Connects to PC for backup fine.
    Took about an hr. Had to hunt down the right solder down on the third floor. Quite happy I finally took the time to get her back in shape.
    08-22-17 11:35 PM
    Finally performed "dry dock repairs" on my battle damaged 9930. Bent back into place and soldered charging contact, cleaned out limestone dust that was packed into usb port, and replaced keyboard! Yay! One might never know the old 99 took a second story tumble against scaffolding, skid steer, and graveled earth... about six months ago. Lol. New keyboard feels...well... New. Lol. Nothing really wrong with the old one, other than paint wear, but while she was undergoing repairs... .

Happy to report charging contacts now work and it's wonderful to charge in truck's SmoothTalker car cradle again. USB still requires a little jiggling to make contact but I don't use it for charging anyway. Connects to PC for backup fine.
    Took about an hr. Had to hunt down the right solder down on the third floor. Quite happy I finally took the time to get her back in shape.
    Where did you get a blackberry keyboard, or is it some aftermarket one?

Ps: try to treat your Blackberry a little nicer next time eh
    08-23-17 01:26 AM
    Where did you get a blackberry keyboard, or is it some aftermarket one?

Ps: try to treat your Blackberry a little nicer next time eh
    Lol... this poor thing's been abused, for sure. Says a LOT about the engineering "love" afforded the design that it required less than an hr to correct six years of abuse! Signs of hard earned experience are everywhere in this design. SOMEONE at RIM truly cared.

My company's IT guy procured a few hundred of genuine OEM keyboards packed in cases, back in early 2014. Management was so thrilled to see our productivity restored after returning to 9900 they had him stock up on spare everything to quite an extreme. For good reason, imo.

We once assigned "two techs and a Toughbook" to perform a very tedious QA validation service. I started using my old Pearl for this function, about a decade ago. About 8 yrs ago my company dominated this service niche by utilizing single techs with 9650s. A couple coworkers still like the 9650 better but our 9900s have largely replaced $3-5K Toughbooks while cutting manpower in half AND double doubling productivity per man-hr!

That productivity tanked in 2013 during our year long experiment with Z/Q10... long painful story... My department finally staged an insurrection in early 2014 back to our 99s. IT was beside themselves but productivity returned, client satisfaction restored, margins set records. Management was so thrilled, they had our poor IT guy ordering enough 9900s and parts to assure we never run out. Lol.

This particular keyboard was a "loose" one that had been briefly installed in another handset for troubleshooting months ago. I'm normally careful to avoid using company parts in my personal handset but this "battle damage" happened on the job, so...
    08-23-17 07:05 AM
    Can I still access email via BIS if I turn network off? I'm traveling and will have wifi but zero network where I'm going.

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    08-23-17 11:11 AM
    ...My company's IT guy procured a few hundred of genuine OEM keyboards packed in cases, back in early 2014. Management was so thrilled to see our productivity restored after returning to 9900 they had him stock up on spare everything to quite an extreme. For good reason, imo.
    Awesome. Your gang is probably solely responsible for BIS living on!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-26-17 07:34 PM
    Crappy day today. A "friend" dropped my iPad at a cafe and it smashed pretty good onto the floor, sure sounded like the glass smashed but that was ok, but the volume UP button is screwed.

And....

Ripped my calf muscle while running. Not too fun almost crawling home.

I might have appreciated hauling around the lighter weight of the 9900 as bending over is not "appropriate" with a tall iPhone 7 in your front pocket
    08-26-17 08:56 PM
    Having 9900 black since 2011 ... bought back a brand new one this years on ebay for myself and one for white for my spouse.
    She is having a second one from work as well, black this one.

We love our 9900. And yes by the way, we have a Passport SE but we don't use it with a simcard. Too massive, to big, to heavy. This is our kind of tablet.

Since the morning, my Yahoo mail account cannot synchronize with BIS. An issue with the password which never been changed in the past year.
    I will have to investigate, poste a new thread about it and eventually escalade the issue via my carrier to Blackberry support.

Cheers
    Jeremie
    08-29-17 02:24 AM
    Having 9900 black since 2011 ... bought back a brand new one this years on ebay for myself and one for white for my spouse.
    She is having a second one from work as well, black this one.

We love our 9900. And yes by the way, we have a Passport SE but we don't use it with a simcard. Too massive, to big, to heavy. This is our kind of tablet.

Since the morning, my Yahoo mail account cannot synchronize with BIS. An issue with the password which never been changed in the past year.
    I will have to investigate, poste a new thread about it and eventually escalade the issue via my carrier to Blackberry support.

Cheers
    Jeremie
    That's cool!

As for for the Yahoo I'm going to be frank with you, if you can I would switch to Gmail or even Hotmail outlook. There were a few massive hacks and people were actually warned to get away from Yahoo. Their security has been compromised so many times I didn't think honestly that anyone else was still using Yahoo. Might be something to consider. Just for your own safety.

If you get a Gmail, myself or several others can easily guide you in how to set that up, I know that I learned the hard way. I'm not sure if Yahoo sets up the same way or as easily but that's what probably more of us have experience in right now anyway.

https://amp.theguardian.com/technolo...data-2015-2016

But yeah definitely get a hold of your carrier and hopefully you can talk to someone that remembers how to do it with BlackBerries. I had to have the service books sent last year and I was fortunate enough to get a girl with Rogers that got started with Rogers in about 2011 and she remembers how to do it. She said I was the first one in a year to ask about BIS, so you might have to get lucky and get the right person on the line.
    jerybis likes this.
    08-29-17 02:32 AM
    Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your quick reply. I do have gmail accounts syncing on my 9900 :-) and I am aware of the massive leaks Yahoo experienced years ago and unveiled in the recent years.
    And yes I have the contact of the former Blackberry team manager at my carrier who is now in charge of the most advanced support team for business. He already helped me to carry on 2 escalated issues and let me be the main contact with Blackberry Support on his behalf. I was coordinating a general issue with Gmail calendar no longer syncing in all over the world on former Blackberry forum (+100 members involved sharing via PM their PINs, region, carrier, issues etc ... then Blackberry forum moderators pushed it even further than my simple escalation and all was resolved within 2 months).

I will investigate and then post on this forum my findings. It all will depend on my spare time since we are expecting twin boys this morning or perhaps this afternoon :-)
    08-29-17 02:46 AM
    Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your quick reply. I do have gmail accounts syncing on my 9900 :-) and I am aware of the massive leaks Yahoo experienced years ago and unveiled in the recent years.
    And yes I have the contact of the former Blackberry team manager at my carrier who is now in charge of the most advanced support team for business. He already helped me to carry on 2 escalated issues and let me be the main contact with Blackberry Support on his behalf. I was coordinating a general issue with Gmail calendar no longer syncing in all over the world on former Blackberry forum (+100 members involved sharing via PM their PINs, region, carrier, issues etc ... then Blackberry forum moderators pushed it even further than my simple escalation and all was resolved within 2 months).

I will investigate and then post on this forum my findings. It all will depend on my time since we are expecting twin boys this morning or perhaps this afternoon :-)
    People were having a lot of trouble with Calendar syncing in the last couple years since I got my dream 9900 almost 2 years ago but calendar syncing was nothing I bothered with or needed so there are some walk arounds that people know about in here.

But we have to accept that there are many things the 9900 cannot do now and I'm not sure if that is one of them still.
    08-29-17 02:50 AM
    G-calendar will sync bi-directionally with the 9900 (and BIS) just fine, BUT you can only sync a single calendar - there is no multiple calendar support.
    08-29-17 07:56 AM

I will investigate and then post on this forum my findings. It all will depend on my spare time since we are expecting twin boys this morning or perhaps this afternoon :-)
    Congrats on the twin. Looking at my 7 years old girl now and picturing how great it was seeing her for the very first time. You have it doubling up man.
    Forget the Bold and Yahoo! for now. You'll have plenty of sleepless night ahead to ponder about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 09:16 AM
8,754 ... 244245246247248 ...