Some of Li batt capacity is frequently achieved thru "overcharge". The batt tolerates the overcharge for a while but prolonged overcharge can lead to long term damage. Somewhere around 50-70% might be considered optimal for long term storage, in some applications. The industry is still mighty steep in learning curve, tho.

Classic hot rod compromise... make more power with more rpm or more boost... OR, perhaps most reliably, more cubic inches... lol.

More cubic inches=better battery, imo.
    07-17-17 10:50 AM
    Haha... ever find the slider release for that "Torch keyboard" ?? Lol. I remember thinking that a 3.7" screen "Torch slider" with 1.2GHz processor had possibilities... never understood why they'd call a sliderless slab a "Torch"...??? Lol.

9860 sported reasonably future proofed specs, like our 99s, and a ToolBelt!
    Probably because they acquired a small company around that time called Torch - they were acquired for their browser software that BlackBerry would come to use on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-17 12:37 PM
    Some of Li batt capacity is frequently achieved thru "overcharge". The batt tolerates the overcharge for a while but prolonged overcharge can lead to long term damage. Somewhere around 50-70% might be considered optimal for long term storage, in some applications. The industry is still mighty steep in learning curve, tho.

Classic hot rod compromise... make more power with more rpm or more boost... OR, perhaps most reliably, more cubic inches... lol.

More cubic inches=better battery, imo.
    Yes and it's interesting, I was reading about how a battery being plugged in all night long is sort of like a muscle always being flexed eventually it's just wear and tear on it and that's why it might be better to just unplug it when it hits 100%. I installed the battery doctor app on my iPhone and even though the gauge on the phone says 100% it still needs to trickle charge about 45 minutes every time. ( the app tells you exactly when TRUE 100% is reached) Most people that do not use an app like that probably unplug the battery is soon as They see it at 100 or in the case of a BlackBerry seeing the little charge icon in the battery thinking that it's full, but it may not be.
    07-19-17 12:35 AM
    BIS in Greece?

I'm planning some travel. Can I just buy a local SIM and slip it into my unlocked 9900?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!

I am not sure if you have already left for your travels to beautiful Greece but here's been my experience with the 9900.

There were some BlackBerry 9900's that were sold in Greece but I am not sure what carriers supported BIS.

When I went with my 9900 in 2013, I was able to get a signal and use on wi-fi but I wasn't connected to BIS. I think I needed to get a different package with the major carrier in Greece (Cosmote). At the time it wasn't a big deal and the sales agent at the electronics store (Germanos) wasn't quite sure what to do. She was willing to call her tech line but truthfully I was in a rush.

In my subsequent visits to Greece I have taken an unlocked Q10, Classic and I will be taking my Passport here soon. They have never had issues getting the BlackBerry signal in the corner.

In any event good luck, you should be able to get BIS service if it's still supported by a major Greek carrier like Cosmote but I am not sure. I doubt BlackBerry was a major market for them and from my travels there it was mostly limited to governments and some hardcore fans, even when BlackBerry was the top phone in the market.

Have fun and enjoy the food and sunshine!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 09:22 PM
    I am not sure if you have already left for your travels to beautiful Greece but here's been my experience with the 9900.

There were some BlackBerry 9900's that were sold in Greece but I am not sure what carriers supported BIS.

When I went with my 9900 in 2013, I was able to get a signal and use on wi-fi but I wasn't connected to BIS. I think I needed to get a different package with the major carrier in Greece (Cosmote). At the time it wasn't a big deal and the sales agent at the electronics store (Germanos) wasn't quite sure what to do. She was willing to call her tech line but truthfully I was in a rush.

In my subsequent visits to Greece I have taken an unlocked Q10, Classic and I will be taking my Passport here soon. They have never had issues getting the BlackBerry signal in the corner.

In any event good luck, you should be able to get BIS service if it's still supported by a major Greek carrier like Cosmote but I am not sure. I doubt BlackBerry was a major market for them and from my travels there it was mostly limited to governments and some hardcore fans, even when BlackBerry was the top phone in the market.

Have fun and enjoy the food and sunshine!

Posted via CB10
    When I was in Germany with my Bold 9900 I've just purchased roaming data about 100MB and I didn't have to change SIM cards. Just when I arrived to the airport and left the plane, my Bold connected to local carrier network, BIS connection was enabled in max 2min. And everything works!

Just watch out for immigrants - there are plenty of them in Europe... :/ On the south especially. :/
    07-20-17 01:09 AM
    THANKS! -- and no, I haven't yet; probably in the fall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-20-17 08:43 AM
    Thanks! -- that does seem to be the minimum-hassle approach. When i went to India in 2013, I was still rocking a locked Z10 (my last locked phone), and my host just gave me a local cell phone. Now both my phones are unlocked. I'll probably take the Bold and do as you suggest.

07-20-17 08:47 AM
    Feels so good tying on this thing.

Was updating some aps off my iphone and it looks like my Canadian bank still supports Blackberry. Yes there is the app in the App World for the 9900 but I don't think I would trust it (I should check to see, maybe it was updated) but I am assuming they are compatible with Android Blacknerries.

Ok now I have to check!

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    07-20-17 11:58 PM
    OK I'm kinda suprised, they pulled my bank's app from App World but it looks like all the other major Canadian banking apps are still there. (And my bank is also the most popular Canadian one for the US as well) I was curious when the last time some of them were last updated so I clicked "Full Description" and it only tells when the app was first launched now. I could have sworn that they had all that info for the updates before.

07-21-17 12:10 AM
    Here's a weird little find. I was on eBay one day and someone had a New-in-Box Motorola Flipout for sale. No one else bid on it so I won it for $5 + shipping. $19 total. It's on Android 2.1 'Eclair', so apps are scarce, but I found old versions of Opera Mini and Podtrapper that still work. Email and the calendar still sync via exchange activesync, but contacts did not. So I just sent my contacts to the phone via bluetooth. The keys on keyboard are harder to press than a BlackBerry, but quite good in any case. Kind of a fun little device.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-21-17 at 10:41 AM.
    Parker_Lewis likes this.
    07-21-17 10:09 AM
    Here's a weird little find. I was on eBay one day and someone had a New-in-Box Motorola Flipout for sale. No one else bid on it so I won it for $5 + shipping. $19 total. It's on Android 2.1 'Eclair', so apps are scarce, but I found old versions of Opera Mini and Podtrapper that still work. Email and the calendar still sync via exchange activesync, but contacts did not. So I just sent my contacts to the phone via bluetooth. The keys on keyboard are harder to press than a BlackBerry, but quite good in any case. Kind of a fun little device. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4c6f723282.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...afa2e7ca4a.jpg
    Ha! I remember seeing those, or reading about them. I wonder if with heavy use would the hinge get looser and looser, how does it feel?

Before 2011 I was big into Motorola.
    07-21-17 11:38 AM
    Ha! I remember seeing those, or reading about them. I wonder if with heavy use would the hinge get looser and looser, how does it feel?

Before 2011 I was big into Motorola.
    Actually, the hinge was quite a surprise. It feels like it was hand-made by a team of German machinists. It's very tight and turns so smoothly. I am totally impressed.

The flip action is slightly addictive
    07-21-17 11:50 AM
    Actually, the hinge was quite a surprise. It feels like it was hand-made by a team of German machinists. It's very tight and turns so smoothly. I am totally impressed.

I hope so! I seem to recall some store demos and the hinge was pretty loose.

I had 3 Motorolas and one Nokia before 2011 if I recall.

I remember wanting an HTC Dream. Those were pretty much the first Androids that I recall. The swivel hinge on that was so cool, and Thay was a pretty huge phone imo.

PS: can you answer a call on this thing without swivelling it open?

I say "recall" a lot.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-21-17 at 05:58 PM.
    07-21-17 04:22 PM

I found it under the name "Flipout."

http://motorola.mobilephonesbrands.c...pout-1318.html
    07-21-17 06:02 PM
    PS: can you answer a call on this thing without swivelling it open?
    No. You can't place or answer a call without opening it.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-21-17 08:20 PM
    There were some concept drawings of BlackBerry in similar design which started some quite heated discussion in one of the forum I used to visit. Quite an interesting design in the days when small phones were cool and phablets were laughed at as something you could play hide and seek with.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-17 12:06 PM
    Lols my buddy said his brother loves his Passport and he is desperately trying to keep it alive. He recently was installing "a part" he ordered off it from the internet so my bud said " I might be losing faith in Blackberry." He also asked "so BlackBerries are like Lada's, meant to be fixable?" To which I replied "isn't it better to be able to fix a small part than have to throw away the entire device?" Even my Cadillac needed a new water pump every once in a while.

EDIT: he jokingly said he would take this one instead .....

yes supposedly this is the first cell phone ad from 1989

anon(8063781) and rayporsche like this.
    07-22-17 03:24 PM
    i think flipouts are cool. I've always been curious about just getting one for fun... but my wife says I already have enough "junk" phones. She won't let me go to flea markets alone, hahaha...

She doesn't care much for my 9900, and she wanted to give my passport away to her brother who has already broken THREE smartphones we've given him. Hmph!

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-22-17 07:22 PM
    Had a heckler today. My response was not as polite.
    07-26-17 07:19 PM
    Had a heckler today. My response was not as polite. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b7ab8bb57f.png
    What i dont understand is why she is still searching for this phone if she has successfully switched to android and it's the best decision she ever made? People seem to lose their minds when it comes to blackberry, especially the older devices, nobody bought the Bold 9900 back in the day for its games, bringing that up just shows such a lack of understanding of what a blackberry phone is about. And as for social media apps, Twitter and Facebook work fine, i love the twitter app and Facebook works apart from messages, BBM and Whatsapp work perfect too, this phone still works exceptionally well, thats why i bought a white one knowing that whatsapp wasn't going to be supported. The heckler could have stopped at "its a good work phone but not a heavy multimedia powerhouse" but neither is a 2011 android or iPhone, i really dont understand the blackberry haters, they are still obsessed with this phone not having games or social media apps when none of their beloved iphones or androids from 2011 will work or do the same things, in fact i think an iPhone 4s or android from 2011 would run slower these days than the Bold 9900.

07-26-17 07:31 PM
    What i dont understand is why she is still searching for this phone if she has successfully switched to android and it's the best decision she ever made? People seem to lose their minds when it comes to blackberry, especially the older devices, nobody bought the Bold 9900 back in the day for its games, bringing that up just shows such a lack of understanding of what a blackberry phone is about. And as for social media apps, Twitter and Facebook work fine, i love the twitter app and Facebook works apart from messages, BBM and Whatsapp work perfect too, this phone still works exceptionally well, thats why i bought a white one knowing that whatsapp wasn't going to be supported. The heckler could have stopped at "its a good work phone but not a heavy multimedia powerhouse" but neither is a 2011 android or iPhone, i really dont understand the blackberry haters, they are still obsessed with this phone not having games or social media apps when none of their beloved iphones or androids from 2011 will work or do the same things, in fact i think an iPhone 4s or android from 2011 would run slower these days than the Bold 9900.

It's a "she?" No idea, but I was sure to make the point that at the time I made the video last year it was the device I was using for EVERYTHING and at THAT time everything worked, ie.... all the essential apps and for me even many NON-ESSENTIAL apps were "epic." Examples that instantly come to mind are the flashlight app (and I wish I had one this perfect in 2011) and the screen Dim app that is essential for Vampires that hate light, like me

But exactly, they don't apppreciate them for when they ruled the world AND I am willing to bet they never had one to begin with. People forget that the first iphone had no App Store. By this time Blackberry App World was still getting new apps and developers.

But I think the important thing for people like my Heckler in Youtube to remember is that Blackberry had all the ESSENTIAL apps and there wasn't or isn't as many worthless fluff apps like Apple had/has. 5 years ago if you wanted a certain app, you search App World and BAM there it is. But in Apple have fun weeding through countless worthless apps that do nothing but congest the App store. Still choice is good, but it is amazing what a difference a year makes regarding the 9900.

rayporsche likes this.
    07-26-17 08:10 PM
    I only carry a 9900. Works just fine for me, plus a single charge easily lasts me the whole day.

People put too much emphasis on apps. Ten years ago, everyone did just fine without apps. It's mass hypnosis, really. There is nothing, NOTHING, that is "essential" that even a 2011 phone and an ordinary laptop / desktop can't handle together.

If I really need an app (and that's probably a game or entertainment), I just wait until home and use the old ipad.

07-26-17 08:53 PM
    But I think the important thing for people like my Heckler in Youtube to remember is that Blackberry had all the ESSENTIAL apps and there wasn't or isn't as many worthless fluff apps like Apple had/has. 5 years ago if you wanted a certain app, you search App World and BAM there it is.

The one app the 9900 never had -- and that I wanted -- was a Reddit app. Someone started to make an open source app, but it was never finished.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    07-26-17 09:14 PM
    I only carry a 9900. Works just fine for me, plus a single charge easily lasts me the whole day.

People put too much emphasis on apps. Ten years ago, everyone did just fine without apps. It's mass hypnosis, really. There is nothing, NOTHING, that is "essential" that even a 2011 phone and an ordinary laptop / desktop can't handle together.

If I really need an app (and that's probably a game or entertainment), I just wait until home and use the old ipad.

and a great way to make more $. Essentially thats all any company wants.....the $ from your pocket.

07-26-17 09:21 PM
    The one app the 9900 never had -- and that I wanted -- was a Reddit app. Someone started to make an open source app, but it was never finished.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I put it on my iphone because a friend said "you have to have it." Its ok if you want to search a product, cell case or a device but I don't much care for how they are now pushing trends to the inbox, and that means more bothersome notifs. Also when you open the app now, you see the big red notif icon thinking someone responded to you.....oops nope.....it's just whats new But i think the update for it JUST TODAY was supposed to put more control in settings to turn this off but I don't see the setting.

So just curious, how do you use the app/site?

07-26-17 09:25 PM
8,754 ... 240241242243244 ...