Saw a cousin today I hadn't seen in a few years. To check what hotel he would be staying at on some app, he pulled out a white Passport to check. He said it has been "a great phone."
    07-05-17 01:47 AM
    Is anyone's 99 bold a little heat-sensitive? I find that if i'm reading outdoors (perfect visibility even in direct sunlight, btw), and if I drift my thumb too close to the trackpad without touching it on a VERY hot day, sometimes the page will flip anyways.

The fix is easy, keep my thumb further away. Otherwise, my 9930 is a beauty I love.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    Myself and coworkers call it "sun crazy". Happens to some trackpads. We attribute the effect to freznel refraction generated by sunlight acting thru accumulated micro-scratches on the trackpad surface. An interference pattern interacts with the micro-scratches once the gap under the thumb gets just right. CRAZY things ensue. Lol.

Some trackpads never seem to do this. We are unsure why. We have yet to see any of our Classic's do it, so far. Fwiw.

Polishing the scratches out helps sometimes. Replacement will likely be the ultimate cure.
    07-05-17 05:59 AM
    So i have noticed something over the last week since i got my White Bold 9900 with arabic keyboard, it is much faster than the black model for European market. I have all the same apps on it but everything seems to work better, even the camera is better especially with good lighting, so i was wondering if models for different regions are sometimes better? Or if its just that all Bolds are not created equally and some can be really good and others not so good? Or maybe where the phone's are manufactured can impact their performance and durability? the arab Bold was manufactured in Hungary which is in Europe, could that be a reason why it's working better?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-07-17 05:33 AM
    So i have noticed something over the last week since i got my White Bold 9900 with arabic keyboard, it is much faster than the black model for European market. I have all the same apps on it but everything seems to work better, even the camera is better especially with good lighting, so i was wondering if models for different regions are sometimes better? Or if its just that all Bolds are not created equally and some can be really good and others not so good? Or maybe where the phone's are manufactured can impact their performance and durability? the arab Bold was manufactured in Hungary which is in Europe, could that be a reason why it's working better?

Placebo effect. The same number of apps but on fresh model. Nothing more.
    07-07-17 05:37 AM
    Placebo effect. The same number of apps but on fresh model. Nothing more.
    Maybe, but the camera is actually better, i took a picture a few days ago and couldn't believe it was that good, it actually reminded me of my original Bold 9900, i think the one i bought last year may not have been the best even though its fully functional.

07-07-17 05:40 AM
    The only situation where you could have different spec of model was at BlackBerry Z10. In Europe you had 2 version. 1st version using processor Qualcomm Snapdragon with LTE called STL-100-2 and second version with processor from company Texas Instruments TI-OMAP with much worse software -hardware cooperation and with only 3G(H+).
    07-07-17 05:42 AM
    The only situation where you could have different spec of model was at BlackBerry Z10. In Europe you had 2 version. 1st version using processor Qualcomm Snapdragon with LTE called STL-100-2 and second version with processor from company Texas Instruments TI-OMAP with much worse software -hardware cooperation and with only 3G(H+).
    Oh ok, i only had the Q10, but definitely the network connectivity is better in the arab blackberry, especially with 2G when traveling, it's much better, i think it must have a better band frequency for the network that i'm using.

07-07-17 06:09 AM
    Yes, actually I've got two 9900s !
    (#1) my original 9900 bought as new in 2012 – but that no longer works because it has a corrupted keyboard socket on the motherboard
    Yes, my 9900 failed the same way. I just got a pristine 9900 at a yard sale for $10. Works perfectly. My daily driver is a Passport, but the 9900 is ideal on weekends.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-07-17 07:43 AM
    Maybe, but the camera is actually better, i took a picture a few days ago and couldn't believe it was that good, it actually reminded me of my original Bold 9900, i think the one i bought last year may not have been the best even though its fully functional.

When it comes to devices as old as the 9900, it could be that your last 9900 before the white version wore out hardware wise, whereas the white 9900 was lightly used. There was also a second production run after the corporate and government market rejected BB10 as an "upgrade". Perhaps your white model was part of that batch and had better build quality. By the time BlackBerry committed to the later production run, they were more focused on developing BB10 and the  C L A S S I C. Any enhancements (if any) to camera or hardware quality would have never been advertised. But honestly I lean towards your old 9900 getting tired.

Also, I have read that certain BBOS 7.1 builds were better than others. Ran cooler and more efficiently.

If you're used to BB10 on the Q10, Z10 or Qla99ic, BBOS seems instantaneous moving through the menus and OS. BB10 is smooth, but the transitions take up time. I notice it when I tinker with my 9900. I can understand why the market rejected the early versions of BB10.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    07-07-17 08:57 AM

I think over time now you're at a perfected state or sweet spot and you just basically became faster and more efficient with all the practice and time in...
    07-07-17 01:21 PM

All great phones in their day.
    07-07-17 02:57 PM
    BIS in Greece?

I'm planning some travel. Can I just buy a local SIM and slip it into my unlocked 9900?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-07-17 07:33 PM
    Just for ..... NVM , I had no good reason. I bought a new 9860 all touch for $30 and put another line on my plan... AT&T still has BIS and it came on automatically because store rep had no idea what I was even talking about...
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    07-07-17 07:41 PM
    Just for ..... NVM , I had no good reason. I bought a new 9860 all touch for $30 and put another line on my plan... AT&T still has BIS and it came on automatically because store rep had no idea what I was even talking about...
    Attachment 426707
    07-07-17 07:42 PM
    07-07-17 07:42 PM
    Still are. It would take at least 2 of those over any other phone out there today!
    Whoops! I actually already have all 3 and happily using them quite productively :-)
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    07-07-17 11:29 PM
    Just for ..... NVM , I had no good reason. I bought a new 9860 all touch for $30 and put another line on my plan... AT&T still has BIS and it came on automatically because store rep had no idea what I was even talking about...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1c3f666fb3.jpg
    Haha... ever find the slider release for that "Torch keyboard" ?? Lol. I remember thinking that a 3.7" screen "Torch slider" with 1.2GHz processor had possibilities... never understood why they'd call a sliderless slab a "Torch"...??? Lol.

9860 sported reasonably future proofed specs, like our 99s, and a ToolBelt!
    07-08-17 11:51 AM
    The torch 9860 uses 4G?? On AT&T? Is that right? I thought it was only 2g/3g...

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-08-17 01:17 PM
    I can see where the 9800/9810 was preferred because the PKB was easier to use than VKB only with the 9850/9860. Torch name just sounded cool. BB never had greatest branding skills.
    07-08-17 01:21 PM
    Well, I got tired of carrying around a big phone, although Passport isn't that big and my lumia 830 is slender. Nonetheless, I have decided to regress back in time and ignore all these iphone and samsung chatter.

I moved my sim card into a Pantech Pocket, an ancient gingerbread phone that nonetheless has 4g. That should last me a while; it's also quite small, barely larger than my 9930, which I will also carry around as my ereader and browser. Their combined weight and bulk don't even match that found in newer phones. The limitations don't concern me, as internet is still fine on both devices, battery life exceptional, pocketability unmatched, even with both together. Apps? I don't need them; there's nothing I want that I can't wait until home to check on my ipad. And if I want to type something really long, this 9930 of mine does just fine as a sub for my beloved passport.

My wife uses an iphone 6s+. My friend saw me using my 9930 and asked if I was downgrading. I told him no, I'd had the 9930 around all this time.

Sent from my Bold 9930!
    07-08-17 03:54 PM
    Well, I got tired of carrying around a big phone, although Passport isn't that big and my lumia 830 is slender. Nonetheless, I have decided to regress back in time and ignore all these iphone and samsung chatter.

I moved my sim card into a Pantech Pocket, an ancient gingerbread phone that nonetheless has 4g. That should last me a while; it's also quite small, barely larger than my 9930, which I will also carry around as my ereader and browser. Their combined weight and bulk don't even match that found in newer phones. The limitations don't concern me, as internet is still fine on both devices, battery life exceptional, pocketability unmatched, even with both together. Apps? I don't need them; there's nothing I want that I can't wait until home to check on my ipad. And if I want to type something really long, this 9930 of mine does just fine as a sub for my beloved passport.

My wife uses an iphone 6s+. My friend saw me using my 9930 and asked if I was downgrading. I told him no, I'd had the 9930 around all this time.

Sent from my Bold 9930!
    Never tried a Pantech Pocket but always thought they looked comfortable. Aren't they 4:3ar? As we've found with our 99s, 4:3 is pretty optimal for document work. Only thing I, myself, find 16:9 good for is wide screen movie watching... and taking up pocket space... lol. My thumbs just don't feel as free to glide key to key while top heavy "hand" sets threaten to topple. Lol.

I'll bet that Pantech Pocket feels comfortably secure with ability to grasp all four sides... like our 99s... . Probably a good "two fisted" combo... ??
    07-08-17 11:58 PM
    Much love to all the legacy devices BlackBerry made and are still used today

Posted via CB10
    07-09-17 12:35 AM
    Definitely! The Pocket can be held on all four sides, as it is just a little bigger than the 99 but weighs less. Two-fisted combo certainly possible!

I considered trying a Q10-99 combo, but the Q10 is a bit heavy and I also keep reaching for a toolbelt that isn't there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-09-17 12:41 AM
    Q10's a nice size but missing toolbelt makes it awkward for comfortable single handing, imo. I find toolbelt equipped Classic, despite its obnoxious dimensions, to be more single handed friendly. In fact, Classic and 9930 have become my favorite "double fisted" combo. They compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses in very powerful ways!

Some days, I back up my 99 with PP or Z30 or D60, but no double fisted option there. It's SO nice to look up map, or update calendar & contacts, or edit spreadsheets, or browse, etc in one hand while simultaneously talking or messaging in the other hand!
    07-09-17 01:43 AM
    Geez I'm not getting notifs for this anymore now!

If I'm not mistaken some years ago I saw a Pantech at RadioShack and it was the tiniest phone I've ever seen. Right now I'm looking into getting those credit card holder cell phone cases because with wallets and everything else it's just too much but then you really want to take the chance of losing your phone and your credit card debit card
    07-10-17 12:14 AM
8,754 ... 238239240241242 ...