Any of you Bold Ones got any ideas about why my 9900 is suddenly blazing through batteries..?

This morning, I turned it on to go for a bike ride and found that overnight, sitting on a shelf turned off, 3/4 of a charge (2-year-old, $40 JM1 from Batteries+) had vanished into the ether, leaving only the red battery outline -- and this happened with the phone OFF (not just the radio off, the device off).

Clues? Suggestions?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Solution: pull the battery
    I do this anytime my BlackBerry devices sit idle off. (I have to anyways because when it's off, I need to get the SIM out)

The obvious answer is because it is a "soft " off, something didn't get powered down properly. I have the same issue with a Passport SE, but unfortunately it doesn't have a removable battery so it will actually last longer while on/standby than it does off.

Have tried all sorts of tricks, Airplane mode first, removing SD, full charge then yanking power cable during power off, all sorts of odd tricks suggested by the 'net. Nothing works so far. If I find anything, I'll post.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-17-17 11:31 AM
    Solution: pull the battery
    I do this anytime my BlackBerry devices sit idle off. (I have to anyways because when it's off, I need to get the SIM out)

The obvious answer is because it is a "soft " off, something didn't get powered down properly. I have the same issue with a Passport SE, but unfortunately it doesn't have a removable battery so it will actually last longer while on/standby than it does off.

Have tried all sorts of tricks, Airplane mode first, removing SD, full charge then yanking power cable during power off, all sorts of odd tricks suggested by the 'net. Nothing works so far. If I find anything, I'll post.
    The only things I can add to this are:

1. The battery suddenly went bad and won't hold a charge overnight. That's easy to test by pulling it in the evening and seeing if it's dead in the morning after being out of the device.

2. Something is grounding out your battery. Highly unlikely. But it happens on cars, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If, as EFats suggests, something is not shutting down properly, it could be a software issue (although it could also be related to a newly developed hardware flaw). If it's software related and all else fails, reloading the OS may be the easiest solution. If you have a backup from before the issue arose, you might be able to restore it without replicating the issue, but I'd try it without a restore first.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-17-17 12:03 PM
    I have the same issue with a Passport SE...

We may have already discussed this elsewhere, but if you intend to store it long term, the surefire method is to remove the back cover and pull the battery cable. Fortunately, it's a quick and easy operation. I'm not sure that I would want to do it on a regular basis, though, since the parts were not made to be separated repeatedly.

If a charge lasts longer with the device turned on, as you've noted, you could also just grab one of those timers that plug into an electrical outlet, plug your device into it, set it to come on and charge the device every few days (or once a week if the battery will last that long with all of the radios off), and walk away. That could be simultaneously the worst-best solution. Completely Red Green duct tape worthy and better for the battery than running down to zero.
    06-17-17 12:24 PM
    Any of you Bold Ones got any ideas about why my 9900 is suddenly blazing through batteries..? -- and this happened with the phone OFF (not just the radio off, the device off).

Clues? Suggestions?

BBOS devices never really turn off unless the battery is removed. Not sure what still runs in its "off - standby" mode, but it could be actively draining or looking for signal. Otherwise it could be that all of your batteries have reached end of life, and they can drain on their own or not take a charge. Buying a lightly used battery might help but all of the JM1 batteries are probably past the 2 year shelf life and will not perform like they used to. If I were you I'd buy a extra JM1 and 9900 cradle off Ebay/Amazon for $10. Just personal preference. Love this thread and how you guys keep your Bolds alive and active. I could never fully activate BIS on my 9930 and feel too crippled without it.

Went through that with my Q10 and Z10 batteries. I kept a few extra spares while using those devices. 2 minute reboot time beats 40-60 minute tethered time for me any day.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    idssteve likes this.
    06-17-17 12:25 PM
    The device *should* last for weeks in the 'fake-off'/standby mode (when you press and hold the end call button until the three second message expires). I throw mine in 'fake-off' all the time and it hardly seems to drain the battery at all.
    06-17-17 12:40 PM
    Hmm... Two years to failure for LiIon isn't altogether unheard of. My "newer" Classic is now "short timing", like its predecessor did a few months before its final breath... but that's half expected and I WILL be backed up THIS time. Lol. But I digress... Lol...

Not sure what might still drain power while 99 is "powered down"... ?? Worst case, some kind of internal hardware failure? PS? At least our 99s provide enough access to hardware for a hope at troubleshooting. Does it behave similarly with a different battery? Does the battery drain itself when removed from handset overnight? Does battery behave any differently when charged inside a spare battery charger?

Poor battery contacts might mimic your description... Might try the old eraser cleaning. And/or maybe a drop of deoxit gold? Or? I've also developed a habit to "jiggle" the battery on its contacts while inserting.

Certain failure modes can self-drain LiIons. Best to rule out contacts first, tho. imo. Fwiw.
    06-17-17 12:59 PM
    I kept a few extra spares while using those devices. 2 minute reboot time beats 40-60 minute tethered time for me any day.
    +1000 !!! Life is too short to waste time "hugging a wall" with a WIRE attached to a so called "wireless" handset... lol. I typically just insert batt and holster device while living life. Device is back to 100% in less than three minutes. Battery suffers less stress by taking HOURS to slow charge while handset never leaves my person. Powering via batt swap provides TRUE wireless freedom!
    06-17-17 01:14 PM
    The device *should* last for weeks in the 'fake-off'/standby mode (when you press and hold the end call button until the three second message expires). I throw mine in 'fake-off' all the time and it hardly seems to drain the battery at all.
    Used to be that way with me, too. Could be that this Duracell JM1 -- "brand new" relative to the OEM batteries i have laying around -- is indeed on death's door.

I'm letting the phone lay around on wifi with one of the OEM batteries in to see what happens...

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-17-17 03:17 PM
    Poor battery contacts might mimic your description... Might try the old eraser cleaning.
    Thanks, Steve -- do you mean rub the contacts with a pencil eraser?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-17-17 03:18 PM
    Thanks, Steve -- do you mean rub the contacts with a pencil eraser?

Yep. Just "erase" what ever might be on the contacts. Some micrograph erasers fit nicely. Others, not so. Pretty easy to trim virtually any eraser with razor knife. Deoxit Gold "felt tip" applicator does some abraded cleaning as well. Maybe not really designed for that but...

I've had batteries show as red circle dead when the contacts were slightly resistive. Odds are it's something more expensive, lol, but just an "easy" first step at troubleshooting. Fwiw.
    06-17-17 03:37 PM
    Almost sounds like a short in the battery, remembered that there is a chip and supposedly circuits in the battery to prevent overcharging and something could have gone bad in the battery.

I check all 3 of my batteries after weeks at idle sometimes and there isn't much power loss/bleeding at all. The newest battery I have gets drained once a week whether it needs it or not to keep it "conditioned."

Also I read that if one is storing batteries for several days at a time it is better to drain them to around 35% or so and then they will not damage themselves from sitting too long.....day for a few weeks or more.
    06-17-17 06:55 PM
    +1000 !!! Life is too short to waste time "hugging a wall" with a WIRE attached to a so called "wireless" handset... lol. I typically just insert batt and holster device while living life. Device is back to 100% in less than three minutes. Battery suffers less stress by taking HOURS to slow charge while handset never leaves my person. Powering via batt swap provides TRUE wireless freedom!
    Agreed!! I don't know how people put up with the built-in batteries. I've had people say "I can charge it in the car" or "Just use an external battery pack" or "Charge it at work / Starbucks, etc".
    Well sometimes people are on bike, bus, train or foot. An external battery pack is just way too bulky and seriously, I want to be packing a charger everywhere I go? Those wall huggers are real things and it looks really silly to me.

I just toss a spare in my wallet if I suspect I'll be having a long day and that takes care of everything. It's the smallest and most convenient option of all.

Can you imagine if remote controls, cars, toys, etc all came with non-user-replaceable batteries? Only "smart"phone users put up with this nonsense.
    06-17-17 10:38 PM
    Agreed!! I don't know how people put up with the built-in batteries. I've had people say "I can charge it in the car" or "Just use an external battery pack" or "Charge it at work / Starbucks, etc".
    Well sometimes people are on bike, bus, train or foot. An external battery pack is just way too bulky and seriously, I want to be packing a charger everywhere I go? Those wall huggers are real things and it looks really silly to me.

I just toss a spare in my wallet if I suspect I'll be having a long day and that takes care of everything. It's the smallest and most convenient option of all.

Can you imagine if remote controls, cars, toys, etc all came with non-user-replaceable batteries? Only "smart"phone users put up with this nonsense.
    I had a beautiful remote controlled helicopter a couple years ago. I made sure to take care of it, didn't crash it or anything (if I could help it) Unfortunately the battery was exhausted after about 3 months and it was "hard-wired" and could not be replaced. I checked around and NO ONE offered a battery for it even if I wanted to do the replacement myself!

So yes there are major advantages for devices with user replaceable batteries fo sho.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    06-17-17 11:53 PM
    The newest battery I have gets drained once a week whether it needs it or not to keep it "conditioned."

Also I read that if one is storing batteries for several days at a time it is better to drain them to around 35% or so and then they will not damage themselves from sitting too long.....day for a few weeks or more.
    I would advise against discharging your 9900 battery fully, its likely to lead to a reduction in capacity.

Here's a couple of articles that I recall from my days with symbian (Nokia) phones, which describe Li ion chemistry, battery care, and (in the second) provide further arguments against sealed batteries.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...eries_work.php

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ceable_bat.php

Keep your battery topped up at every opportunity to reduce the impact of charging cycles. I have three JM1s and they all perform equally well, even the original 2012
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-18-17 at 09:16 AM.
    06-18-17 06:33 AM
    I would advise against discharging your 9900 battery fully, its likely to lead to a reduction in capacity.
    That's my understanding as well, from the on-line "Battery University."

The key to long battery life is to minimize the number and depth of charging cycles.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-18-17 07:17 AM

Here's a couple of articles that I recall from my days with symbian (Nokia) phones, which describe Li ion chemistry, battery care, and (in the second) provide further arguments against sealed batteries.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...eries_work.php

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ceable_bat.php

Keep your battery topped up at every opportunity to reduce the impact of charging cycles. I have three JM1s and they all perform equally well, even the original 2012
    No no I NEVER discharge it FULLY, I take it down to "red" and that is it. Believe me I read everything I could on lithium ion batteries, I found it interesting.
    06-18-17 10:24 AM
    Have you heard that Whatsapp is extending the deadline for BlackBerry until December 31st 2017? i read this on gsmarena, they said an update will be pushed out soon with the internal of the app to extended the death deadline, i'm hoping that means i can use whatsapp again as i have purchased a White Bold 9900 and would love for it to work on it.

06-20-17 06:23 AM
    The update has shown up for BB10 but in BBW it is still the 2.16.89 version from December 2016. Hopefully it will "drop" in a day or two.
    06-20-17 07:07 AM
    The update has shown up for BB10 but in BBW it is still the 2.16.89 version from December 2016. Hopefully it will "drop" in a day or two.
    Yes, i am hopeful that it will be available in the next few days or directly from their website. It is confirmed that BBOS 7, 7.1 and 10 will have this extension, i wonder if the realized just how many users were continuing to use it and didn't want to lose the customer share ?

06-20-17 07:11 AM
    Hmm. When logged into BBW on the web (on a desktop computer) and "displaying info for 9900" I see WhatsApp updated to version 2.17.1.2 as of yesterday. Though on my 9900 it isn't there. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, hoping for an update or for the new version to be in BBW on the device. Nothing. Next I tried deleting BBW cache (hold ALT and type RST while in BBW). While that "uncovered" an update for another program, WhatsApp is still showing as the old version.
    06-20-17 11:38 AM
    Hmm. When logged into BBW on the web (on a desktop computer) and "displaying info for 9900" I see WhatsApp updated to version 2.17.1.2 as of yesterday. Though on my 9900 it isn't there. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, hoping for an update or for the new version to be in BBW on the device. Nothing. Next I tried deleting BBW cache (hold ALT and type RST while in BBW). While that "uncovered" an update for another program, WhatsApp is still showing as the old version.
    Oh wow that's great, it will definitely come within this week especially if it's already visible in the desktop version. Also, it's gone from 2.16.88 to 2.17, that's really good, maybe it even has some extra changes to it

06-20-17 11:57 AM
    Can I ask a 9810 question here? It's more of an OS related question then hardware so I'm hoping to catch the attention of you 9900 diehards as I think you'll be able to help (looking at you, Ralph!). The 9810 forums are pretty dead compared to this one!

I just received my 9810 unit today and am super pumped to put it through its paces (been a loooooong time since I played with the legacy BB OS!). When I try to set up an email account, the first thing I see is an Enterprise Activation screen.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170620_1401267.jpg

This feels eerily similar to the experience I had with my 9900 when I fired it up for the first time in 5 years. I guess I've got a refurbished unit that was at one point registered to someone's BES server? I've tried wiping the phone but can't shake the Enterprise Activation screen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    06-20-17 01:06 PM
    Can I ask a 9810 question here? It's more of an OS related question then hardware so I'm hoping to catch the attention of you 9900 diehards as I think you'll be able to help (looking at you, Ralph!). The 9810 forums are pretty dead compared to this one!

I just received my 9810 unit today and am super pumped to put it through its paces (been a loooooong time since I played with the legacy BB OS!). When I try to set up an email account, the first thing I see is an Enterprise Activation screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170620_1401267.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	425573

This feels eerily similar to the experience I had with my 9900 when I fired it up for the first time in 5 years. I guess I've got a refurbished unit that was at one point registered to someone's BES server? I've tried wiping the phone but can't shake the Enterprise Activation screen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    This happens when you dont have BIS service activated on your phone plan, you may need to contact your network provider to see if they still offer the blackberry internet service, some might understand it as blackberry internet add on. i hope this helps.

06-20-17 01:13 PM
    This happens when you dont have BIS service activated on your phone plan, you may need to contact your network provider to see if they still offer the blackberry internet service, some might understand it as blackberry internet add on. i hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm with Rogers so I should be good with BIS. In fact, I'm guessing that I won't even have to call them? Just stick my SIM in and go?

Other hiccup is that the device looks like it's locked to O2 (so much for the seller's claims that this is an unlocked, brand new device!). I think unlock codes for these legacy BB devices are easy to come by at cheap prices right?
    06-20-17 01:54 PM
    Thanks! I'm with Rogers so I should be good with BIS. In fact, I'm guessing that I won't even have to call them? Just stick my SIM in and go?

Other hiccup is that the device looks like it's locked to O2 (so much for the seller's claims that this is an unlocked, brand new device!). I think unlock codes for these legacy BB devices are easy to come by at cheap prices right?
    Is there an issue when you put your sim in the phone that makes you think it is locked to O2? mine has a network branding from the network but it's unlocked. The unlocking codes are pretty cheap to find

06-20-17 01:56 PM
8,754 ... 234235236237238 ...