I would totally get a Bold 9900 as my 5th phone for nostalgia reasons (even though I have the Classic), but too bad my carrier, Public Mobile, doesn't offer BIS.
    BIS, for me, is the main reason to love the Bold. (And the glass weave back.)

I ran the phone recently for a while without it on the APN settings, LogicMail works (still?) the browser was fine, even BlackBerry World. No BBM or BISmail of course.

A guy in the BB10 section posted that UK cheapo provider Tesco Mobile was 'withdrawing BIS from June 2017, but the other providers here seem to be keeping it alive.

Bold updated twice when I got it, here's the current state:

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bbb.jpg
    06-08-17 03:12 AM
    Actually I watched this one yesterday because of that friend getting an S8 and I wanted to prove her wrong but you might be surprised at the outcome!!!! I was cheering for the iPhone ....

The guy said 'Alloominum' !

I read someplace that the latest iOS upgrade will break older iPhones, like the 5SE, (?) which is a pity if true as they are just about becoming affordable.
    06-08-17 03:25 AM
    The guy said 'Alloominum' !

I read someplace that the latest iOS upgrade will break older iPhones, like the 5SE, (?) which is a pity if true as they are just about becoming affordable.
    The 5 and the 5C.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 06-11-17 at 11:51 PM.
    06-08-17 03:38 AM
    Too bad about the Passport!! I've never had any issues with mine other than occasional double-typing with the "c."

Anyway, pull up a chair and welcome back to BoldenBurg!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Thanks David! Double typing letters can be annoying at times especially if that letter is specifically used a lot. Either way, passport is still a good device with two hands only lol. The bold on the other hand really is a special one handed device like no other for its compact size and awesome keyboard. The bold means business and gets the job done!

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    06-08-17 05:44 AM
    Thanks David! Double typing letters can be annoying at times especially if that letter is specifically used a lot. Either way, passport is still a good device with two hands only lol. The bold on the other hand really is a special one handed device like no other for its compact size and awesome keyboard. The bold means business and gets the job done!

Yep, Bold means business like no other! imo. Big BIG fan of single handed communications! Let's me maintain critical communications while pursuing life with at least one hand free... typing this "non-critical" message while shaving, btw... not gonna do this as comfortably with ANY other device. Lol.

Too bad about your PP. Infrequently as I begrudgingly use my two handed PP, I'd sure miss it if it fell ill. Assuming you're likely using latest OS?
    06-08-17 07:02 AM
    ...Either way, passport is still a good device with two hands only lol. The bold on the other hand really is a special one handed device like no other for its compact size and awesome keyboard.
    Agree! The Passport is a two-hander, for sure. I love the BlackBerry 10 OS and the Passport kb, and -- unlike the Bold -- the Passport browser allows me to access corporate webmail, BUT...

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    06-08-17 07:37 AM
    The guy in the attached image needs to be holding up a Bold in his hand... Lol

Edit... closer review by a coworker concluded that image might be perceived as inappropriate... deleted.

ANYway, anyone try "Crackberry Cider"??? Never heard of it till a coworker pointed it out this morning... lol.
    06-08-17 07:39 AM
    ...The bold means business and gets the job done!
    -- but there's a special elegance and functionality about the Bold. I use it almost every day, and find both the form factor and OS amazingly useful!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-08-17 07:41 AM
    Yep, Bold means business like no other! imo. Big BIG fan of single handed communications! Let's me maintain critical communications while pursuing life with at least one hand free... typing this "non-critical" message while shaving, btw... not gonna do this as comfortably with ANY other device. Lol.

Too bad about your PP. Infrequently as I begrudgingly use my two handed PP, I'd sure miss it if it fell ill. Assuming you're likely using latest OS?
    yes using the latest os and you're right about the passport, which sometimes I miss the wide square screen for reading or browsing the internet for my research. At the same time when I use my passport, I miss the bold! Either way, both are a joy to use and compliment each other well.

06-08-17 07:50 AM
    Agree! The Passport is a two-hander, for sure. I love the BlackBerry 10 OS and the Passport kb, and -- unlike the Bold -- the Passport browser allows me to access corporate webmail, BUT...

PP is THE BB10 flagship, afaik. Much like 9900 can be considered THE BBOS flagship. "Old99" gets 90% of my device time but BB10 stuff gets 100% of my banking, etc. Just too many moons since last BBOS update.
    06-08-17 07:58 AM
    PP is THE BB10 flagship, afaik. Much like 9900 can be considered THE BBOS flagship. "Old99" gets 90% of my device time but BB10 stuff gets 100% of my banking, etc. Just too many moons since last BBOS update.
    Agree all around, and every once in a while, I indulge in the fantasy of an updated BBOS. Heaven knows there are still enough of these guys in use...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-08-17 08:05 AM
    yes using the latest os and you're right about the passport, which sometimes I miss the wide square screen for reading or browsing the internet for my research. At the same time when I use my passport, I miss the bold! Either way, both are a joy to use and compliment each other well.

Big fan of dual carry. No possible way ANY single device can provide optimal functionality ALL the time. 9900 and PP strengths & weaknesses compliment each other nicely. Hard to get more total HMI surface area, imo.

I also find Classic makes a great companion to 9900. Oversized as it is (what handset isn't, these days? Lol) Classic's tool belt makes it the most single handed freindly of BB10, imo. Two single handed freindly handsets are a joy to use simultaneously, one in each hand. Wonderful for looking up or editing things on one handset while communicating with the other... As just one example.
    06-08-17 08:17 AM
    The 5 and the 5C. Yes that was the reason for my getting rid of my 5C and getting the new 7, because since I am doing banking I need a device that has the latest security updates.

I did feel pretty secure on the 9900 but then I wasn't doing what I am now. I also registered PayPal, eBay and Amazon all through apps on the new device. Let me tell you PayPal was quite a task. If you use the app to register they charge a small fee to send a 4 digit pin you must enter on the app to verify it is you, then they reimburse that fee 2 days later.

As for my bank app, it is in the Blackberry app world but I don't think I would risk it, not now anyway.

Also wondering if you have heard of a site where you can buy things called ETSY? I used that app also to purchase a gift for someone that I HAD to get for the person and apparently it was hacked once a couple years ago so it is likely NOT as secure as say......Apple's "military Grade encryption" I use for Apple Pay or my banks mobile app.

So I am pretty immersed into this brave new world now whether I like some aspects of it or not.
    Apple not allowing iOS on the older devices will at least prevent you from doing something stupid like installing incompatible OS. I don't think it means the older iOS will stop getting security updates though.

I am actually less worried (not that I'm not worried...) about what goes on between my phone & "the cloud". Who is going to spend their effort trying to hack us one at a time when you can just go hit up the big guys and scoop up millions at a time? Target? Etsy? Yahoo? Who else?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-17 03:07 PM
    Apple not allowing iOS on the older devices will at least prevent you from doing something stupid like installing incompatible OS. I don't think it means the older iOS will stop getting security updates though.

I am actually less worried (not that I'm not worried...) about what goes on between my phone & "the cloud". Who is going to spend their effort trying to hack us one at a time when you can just go hit up the big guys and scoop up millions at a time? Target? Etsy? Yahoo? Who else?

Posted via CB10
    I just do updates OTA, as I do not have a laptop or a PC to connect to, and I am OK with that. I think once you update an iOS device OTA there is no going back unless you cconnect it to a PC. The only problem I ever had with an iOS update is my 5C crashed and jammed with iOS 10, and I had to get it fixed professionally and still used it about another seven months after that. But 10.1 is what I waited for and I never had any problems after that other than the phone just getting slower. Planned obsolescence.

This guy seems a little pompous but he has a different opinion than you regarding the S8 it seems. As for a drop test I don't know but I would say it passed everything else flying colors. And I am no fan of Sammy phones. And trust me if you're a key one fan you don't want to see his torture video on that one.

06-08-17 05:48 PM
    ...And trust me if you're a key one fan you don't want to see his torture video on that one.
    FOR SURE. I wonder what excuses CrackBerry Kevin, traitorous swine that he is, will stammer out defending this cheap garbage.
    06-08-17 06:40 PM
    Hey, Ralph -- there was a Wall Street Journal article on iOS 11. Some nice BlackBerry 10 features.
    06-08-17 06:42 PM
    Big fan of dual carry. No possible way ANY single device can provide optimal functionality ..
    <snip>
    I used to enjoy having one of those Motorola 'brick' phones permanently wired into the car in the mid 80's. Had the transmitter in the boot ('trunk') and the handset on the dash. The ultimate status symbol, other than the huge call costs and having two numbers. People always called the wrong one.

Paris Hilton carries five handsets. This is a woman who has not figured out how to divert five numbers to one handset. :-) How the heck does she open doors?

I find carrying just one a nuisance. It's no good putting it in a bag, if it rings, by the time you found the thing the caller has hung up.

Attachment 424803
    06-09-17 12:13 AM
    Hey, Ralph -- there was a Wall Street Journal article on iOS 11. Some nice BlackBerry 10 features.
    What do you mean, like iOS 11 stole features from BlackBerry 10?
    06-09-17 01:27 AM
    [QUOTE=Sue-zz;12914597].

Paris Hilton carries five handsets. This is a woman who has not figured out how to divert five numbers to one handset. :-) How the heck does she open doors?

I remember her on Twitter when I joined in 2011, she was very loyal to BlackBerry then she had a pearl at the time. And I liked when on Twitter it actually showed what kind of phone everyone used when you tweeted, those days are gone.
    06-09-17 01:29 AM
    FOR SURE. I wonder what excuses CrackBerry Kevin, traitorous swine that he is, will stammer out defending this cheap garbage.
    06-09-17 01:30 AM
    I used to enjoy having one of those Motorola 'brick' phones permanently wired into the car in the mid 80's. Had the transmitter in the boot ('trunk') and the handset on the dash. The ultimate status symbol, other than the huge call costs and having two numbers. People always called the wrong one.

I find carrying just one a nuisance. It's no good putting it in a bag, if it rings, by the time you found the thing the caller has hung up.

Attachment 424803
    Haha.... I have six phones on two carriers... but only carry two at a time. In belt holsters. One on each hip, Wild Bill style... lol. . Gotten really well practiced at quick draw and typically have my 99's physical answer key pressed before it's cleared the holster. Likewise, most frequently called speed dial is programmed to readily found by feel "P" and easily pressed before 99 clears holster... do THAT with glass! Lol.

Considered packing 3 phones a couple days but... 5?? Maybe Conrad's distant progeny has possibly learned "how to open doors with just a smile"... ??? To lift Eagles' lyrics. Lol. Gotta keep a spare hand, myself, since NO one opens doors for THIS ugly old codger. Lol. No one carries my briefcase for me, either... go figure. Lol. Of course my biggest problem with two handed handsets is needing a desk to set the coffee mug on while operating the phone! Lol.

Really loved my old analog bag phone. That thing always found signal!! Especially when flying my 172! Probably no room to list regulatory violations on that. Lol. Analog was EXPENSIVE, tho. $$ per minute, if I recall. Calls were kept short. Lol. No text or data but I did manage to operate a portable fax machine thru a "phone coupler" that velcro'd to the bagphone handset... audible mic to speaker style... lol. Probably connected at about 50 baud, or something. And was GLAD it worked at all!! Ah, the good Ole days... .
    06-09-17 06:37 AM
    What do you mean, like iOS 11 stole features from BlackBerry 10?
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/ios-11-...-os-1496714508

"The features I’m most excited about, however, should let us get stuff done faster. The new revamped Control Center—that helpful menu of shortcuts you see when you flick up from the bottom of the screen—will be customizable. You’ll also be able to handily switch off just the cellular radio, and not go full Airplane Mode. "

06-09-17 10:19 PM
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/ios-11-...-os-1496714508

"The features I’m most excited about, however, should let us get stuff done faster. The new revamped Control Center—that helpful menu of shortcuts you see when you flick up from the bottom of the screen—will be customizable. You’ll also be able to handily switch off just the cellular radio, and not go full Airplane Mode. "

I'm actually NOT looking foreward to the revamping, and I also like the app Store the way it is. I hate learning new things, I always have to research stuff because I want to know every minute detail

It's like when my first nice car had power adjustable seats, I was ALWAYS fidgeting with them and never happy. Sometimes no choice is a good thing

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    06-09-17 10:43 PM
    Haha... face it, Ralph, you're afflicted with the "connect the dots" curse responsible for countless sleepless nights among countless engineers for countless millennia. Your fellow 99ers understand. We are here for you, Ralph. We feel your pain... lol...

It's possible to embrace your affliction and make it work FOR you... lol. So long as the new "dots" represent TRUE improvements...
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    06-10-17 10:33 AM
    A pity I don't have a PayPal account (bought as a 'guest') or I'd pick up a dozen and distribute them amongst the needy.

Seller also supplies wholesale packs of er, smoker's requisites, should you be fresh out of ZigZags. He's also got some Aston Martin iPhone 4 cases.

montana61 on eBay
    Back after another field trip and sent the seller a message. He would check the postage to Singapore, so one is going my way.
    BTW, if it genuine leather, it would take a while to loosen up a bit. And pushing from bottom may help.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 11:21 PM
8,754 ... 232233234235236 ...