A few things: Stainless steel is generally not magnetic but I've not tried this with my Bold yet to see what happens. Maybe there's something magnetic behind the frame
    I doubt it is cast, it takes seriously high temperatures and you'd not get the precision you need for this part.
    Forging, maybe, but also tough as many of these stainless steel alloys require a lot of pressure. My bet is on machining as you need to eventually do that anyways to get the tolerances you need.

The Q and Z have metal frames as well, I'm not sure why BlackBerry decided to hide it behind a paint job. It probably isn't stainless as it seems to be a much more malleable material. (inadvertently tested with drops...)

It's too bad recent BlackBerry phones have seemingly moved away from durability and repairability.
    Well, you are mostly right. All depends on the stainless. 400 series SS, for example, is pretty magnetic. These lack nickel, etc but provide some useful structural properties. 400s are pretty popular in "cheap" flatware, for example. Austenitic 300 series are what many folks think of as "non-magnetic" stainless. BUT, even austenitic stainless can form magnetic martensite when cold formed. Something to consider if designing around strictly non-magnetic criteria.

I've lifted bare 9900 frames with a powerful (magnaflux) magnet. They are slightly magnetic. 400 series magnetic? Or cold worked (forged) 300 series?? Or??? Idk.

Q and Z bare frames can also be lifted by powerful magnets. Always struck me odd that BB coated them. Go figure.
    06-02-17 06:31 PM
    I figured it was time to come down on one side of the fence or the other; Z10 versus Bold 9900 with BIS.

There isn't much about the phones which hasn't been said already, so it's down to aesthetics; Z10 is black glass slab, Bold 9900 is a sleek aluminium (aloominum if you're in the USA) highly engineered machine, with a heritage which goes back to erm, some time ago. And a PKB.

So we are on a fortnight of Bold-ing, after a couple of months on the Z10.

Naturally, it's important to add some Bold phone bling. So I picked up a genuine Aston Martin Bold case for two BME's (Big Mac Equivalent) with free postage.

I think it came from a clear-out at Q's underground headquarters, after James Bond moved to a Sony Experia in 'Spectre.'

New from Aston Martin, the case is £79, 26 Big Macs. I didn't pay £79 for my last car, never mind a phone case.

I'm going to try those service book hacks to bypass BIS, so we will see how it all spins out.

Meanwhile, here's my new Aston Martin. (Ebay Pic.)

Attachment 424388
    I've been drooling over that Aston Martin case. I would've be ready to transfer over more than 2 Big Mac but the guy I contacted with just refused to ship overseas.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 12:24 AM
    I've been drooling over that Aston Martin case. I would've be ready to transfer over more than 2 Big Mac but the guy I contacted with just refused to ship overseas.

Posted via CB10
    A pity I don't have a PayPal account (bought as a 'guest') or I'd pick up a dozen and distribute them amongst the needy.

Seller also supplies wholesale packs of er, smoker's requisites, should you be fresh out of ZigZags. He's also got some Aston Martin iPhone 4 cases.

montana61 on eBay
    06-03-17 01:53 AM
    A coworker who lurks these threads suggested I post this faq page about stainless steel: When was stainless steel discovered?

I can also report that Classic's frame is magnetically responsive, like 9900. 9650 frame, however, is magnetically "dead"... jfi.

At first reaction, the engineer in me might normally favor Al for this application... being lighter, cheaper, easier to fabricate, and generally better at heat dissipation than stainless. It must be thicker to provide equivalent strength, tho,... space was obviously a significant priority on 9900. Evidence the thin JM1 battery and use of fiberglass battery door along with non-focus camera... they pulled out all stops seeking compactness. The very thin fiberglass battery cover also affords superior heat rejection properties over polycarbonate alternatives. I've heard these covers referred to as "carbon fiber" but they are glass fiber, afaik. Carbon fiber might interfere with radios? Another significant downside to Al for this bright metal application would be its tendency to stain skin, etc. Having used Al tools for example, bare natural Al can leave grey stains on skin. Of course coatings can minimize this and I suspect it might be the approach selected for 9650. ??

As EFats pointed out, stainless steel presents manufacturing challenges that add considerably to cost. Clearly, 9900s weren't "economy" models.
    06-04-17 08:42 AM
    A coworker who lurks these threads suggested I post this faq page about stainless steel: When was stainless steel discovered?

I can also report that Classic's frame is magnetically responsive, like 9900. 9650 frame, however, is magnetically "dead"... jfi.

At first reaction, the engineer in me might normally favor Al for this application... being lighter, cheaper, easier to fabricate, and generally better at heat dissipation than stainless. It must be thicker to provide equivalent strength, tho,... space was obviously a significant priority on 9900. Evidence the thin JM1 battery and use of fiberglass battery door along with non-focus camera... they pulled out all stops seeking compactness. The very thin fiberglass battery cover also affords superior heat rejection properties over polycarbonate alternatives. I've heard these covers referred to as "carbon fiber" but they are glass fiber, afaik. Carbon fiber might interfere with radios? Another significant downside to Al for this bright metal application would be its tendency to stain skin, etc. Having used Al tools for example, bare natural Al can leave grey stains on skin. Of course coatings can minimize this and I suspect it might be the approach selected for 9650. ??

As EFats pointed out, stainless steel presents manufacturing challenges that add considerably to cost. Clearly, 9900s weren't "economy" models.
    Aah this is stuff I could really sink my teeth into! Stainless steel would be my choice if cost was not the primary objective.
    Most people aren't aware there isn't really anything like bare Aluminium. It's actually a highly reactive material but the thin oxide it quickly develops is transparent. (Same stuff as sapphire). You could hard anodized it to get a really hard finish, harder than even the steel but I think in the past you get stuck with a dark grey colour.

I wish someone would write up an article about the engineering and design that went into some of these "classic" BlackBerry's. Would be a fascinating read.
    06-04-17 10:53 AM
    Aah this is stuff I could really sink my teeth into! Stainless steel would be my choice if cost was not the primary objective.
    Most people aren't aware there isn't really anything like bare Aluminium. It's actually a highly reactive material but the thin oxide it quickly develops is transparent. (Same stuff as sapphire). You could hard anodized it to get a really hard finish, harder than even the steel but I think in the past you get stuck with a dark grey colour.

I wish someone would write up an article about the engineering and design that went into some of these "classic" BlackBerry's. Would be a fascinating read.
    Speaking of polycarbonate I got an interesting case for my iPhone that has an outer "stainless in appearance" band around the case to provide structural strength and rigidity BUT it is not stainless it is polycarbonate.

I know you don't care to see an iPhone but here is the case......

Now the thing I do like about the polycarbonate that looks like aluminium or stainless steel is that it does allow for some flexibility and this makes it much easier to put the device in the case, but still maintains the right amount of rigidity so no dust can get in under the case and possibly causing scratching on the device itself.

It certainly is no where near as solid or stiff feeling as the 9900 and it's solid stainless steel band but the only other advantage I can think of for polycarbonate is possibly some impact absorption and lighter weight.

Edit: and it looks like the polycarbonate is scratching VERY easily, where you lay it on a table.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 06-04-17 at 09:38 PM.
    06-04-17 03:56 PM
    One thing I have never like in cases for phones. Someone made an effort to create quite good looking device and then people put it into some "not good looking" cases"... :/
    06-05-17 01:53 AM
    One thing I have never like in cases for phones. Someone made an effort to create quite good looking device and then people put it into some "not good looking" cases"... :/
    The alternative is paying $950 when you drop it without a case ;-). But it also depends if the case is nice or not, but that is totally subjective to the person. If you've ever experienced how slippery one of the newer iPhones is without a case, well let's just say it's a scary scenario especially when new.

9900 never needed a case in my opinion, it sticks to your hand it sized perfectly and the buttons function better without a case in my experience.

How hard would it be for every cell phone manufacture to put a rubber band around it built into it similar to what the 9900 has. Of course then there would be some people that would hate that and then they would probably put a smooth case over it just so they didn't feel the silicone-type rubber.

I also I'm not sold on the rounded edges on iPhones and other newer cell phones, it's almost like they want you to drop it as it slips out of your hand because of the rounded edges. That's where cases can come in and gives you squared edges like this one, a place to rest your fingers more securely.

Edit: it's funny that have never liked using cases with my blackberries. Even when I bought the 9780 White new, I had purchased a case mate shiny hard backing case for $29 are used it for about three days and then I hated it. It made the BlackBerry just too thick and bulky feeling. 9900 was the same, I think the bevelled edges on the 9900 where the rubber is thinner actually tricks your hand into thinking the device is thinner than it is, because you feel the edges when you hold it.

The OtterBox commuter makes a device feel too thick, and that is the "thinner" serious protection case, but the trade-off is this new case is a slimline low profile case with probably not the same protection as something like an Otterbox.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 06-05-17 at 02:28 AM.
    06-05-17 02:14 AM
    Cases, schmases...

Who could not love the handcrafted feel of stitched brown leather with an orange interior, and Aston Martin embossed on the front by milk-white virgins in the misty shires of Olde Englandville ?

Who could not swoon at the tantalising glimpse of aloominum stainless steel peeking 'twixt the soft brown clasping embrace of dead cow skin?

Who could...

Never mind. For two BME's from Ebay it's endlessly classy. It's a bit tight to be of any practical use, but when dining with the gals, it's a tad more ritzy than a table cluttered with plastic Andruids.

Still wondering which is to be my daily driver. Bold re-enabled with BIS; that instant ding-dong of email arriving is so addictive, or the black post-modern slab of the Z10. I have similar capabilities/apps on both, so it's down to aesthetics.

If Fabergé ever made a phone it would be the Bold. So that's where I'm at, dudes. :-)

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-amcase.jpg
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    06-05-17 03:54 AM
    Does the AM case have an inbuilt magnet, like OEM BlackBerry cases? It looks neat but the magnet function is useful for saving battery (keeping screen off) and auto ending or answering calls. One of the many things I love about my 9900.
    06-05-17 02:57 PM
    ... or stainless steel is that it does allow for some flexibility and this makes it much easier to put the device in the case, but still maintains the right amount of rigidity so no dust can get in under the case and possibly causing scratching on the device itself.

It certainly is no where near as solid or stiff feeling as the 9900 and it's solid stainless steel band but the only other advantage I can think of for polycarbonate is possibly some impact absorption and lighter weight..
    Aah but the steel band around the Bold has more than just looks or durability.
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/09/24/pa...strial-design/

Some nice tidbits from the designer of our beloved Bold ( and the Z10, Passport) . The steel band is part of the antenna as well. They also confirm the back, though looking like carbon fibre, is glass weave.
    By the sounds of it, I think he really really enjoyed doing the Bold.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    06-06-17 12:28 AM
    The alternative is paying $950 when you drop it without a case ;-). But it also depends if the case is nice or not, but that is totally subjective to the person. If you've ever experienced how slippery one of the newer iPhones is without a case, well let's just say it's a scary scenario especially when new.

9900 never needed a case in my opinion, it sticks to your hand it sized perfectly and the buttons function better without a case in my experience.
    I heard the fixit shops are salivating over the Galaxy S8 phones as they are one of the most expensive, yet one of the most fragile. Sounds like practically every drop will result in a repair.

I prefer my BlackBerry's "naked" :-)
    The Bold & Q10 get a holster so I can safely toss it in a bag with other junk, but otherwise, I prefer to use what the designers intended.

The Bold & Q10 are really quite good, but Bold looks much more premium. Next up are my Passport pair OG & SE, both feel fantastic in hand. Z30 as well. Z10 ranks at the bottom but I still prefer that naked and edges out iPhone.

It's a weird test, but when you're not using your phone, do you find yourself holding it, flipping and just randomly handling it? If so, I think it's the mark of a great design.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-17 12:36 AM
    Does the AM case have an inbuilt magnet, like OEM BlackBerry cases? It looks neat but the magnet function is useful for saving battery (keeping screen off) and auto ending or answering calls. One of the many things I love about my 9900.
    Naturally. The internal magnet is made from special rocks mined on the Moon, hand shaped by elves, and then blessed in the Vatican by the Holy Father himself. Then they are shipped back to England on the Queen's private Air Force plane, where Aston Martin's oldest employee Fred Baskins, hand-crafts the final fitting into the case, using tools left to him by his grandfather. He actually engraves his initials in letters too small to see with the naked eye, onto each magnet.

It's a pity the case is too pretty to take out of the house, and too tight to actually use. By the time you've got the phone out of the case, the caller has disappeared. Just looking at it marks the soft leather.

I've put in a little wooden box, (with ivory inlay) with 'Do Not Touch' written on it, and it's now in a glass case with my Curve and other curios.
    06-06-17 12:54 AM
    Aah but the steel band around the Bold has more than just looks or durability.
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/09/24/pa...strial-design/

Some nice tidbits from the designer of our beloved Bold ( and the Z10, Passport) . The steel band is part of the antenna as well. They also confirm the back, though looking like carbon fibre, is glass weave.
    By the sounds of it, I think he really really enjoyed doing the Bold.

Posted via CB10
    Good read, nice find.
    06-06-17 01:02 AM
    I heard the fixit shops are salivating over the Galaxy S8 phones as they are one of the most expensive, yet one of the most fragile. Sounds like practically every drop will result in a repair.

I prefer my BlackBerry's "naked" :-)
    The Bold & Q10 get a holster so I can safely toss it in a bag with other junk, but otherwise, I prefer to use what the designers intended.

The Bold & Q10 are really quite good, but Bold looks much more premium. Next up are my Passport pair OG & SE, both feel fantastic in hand. Z30 as well. Z10 ranks at the bottom but I still prefer that naked and edges out iPhone.

It's a weird test, but when you're not using your phone, do you find yourself holding it, flipping and just randomly handling it? If so, I think it's the mark of a great design.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I certainly do handle my Bold everyday and I always keep all 3 batteries maintained and "exercised." This is something I never bothered to do in the past when I had other older devices not always being used sitting around.

Speaking of that S8, I have a friend who is big into Android and her current Samsung (I didn't ask which) is slowing down too much and she needs more space, so I think she is tempted to get the S8 and she's going to wait a month or so. I have a feeling it's S8 she wants because she's really big into Samsung. I'm so tempted to show a screenshot of what you said about the repair shops but it might cause some grief ;-)

You know it's kind of funny when I started this thread it was for a couple of different reasons for how I got into the blackberry 9900. First reason was I have always wanted a legendary 9900 with a slightly wider keyboard and the excellent clickiness of that keyboard with a much faster processor, etc. The second reason was to sort of get away from app overload that I was experiencing on my iPhone 5c for two years at that point, and it was a nice little break from many of the apps we think we need but really don't. But now I find myself in a situation again where I am constantly being tied up using a device and you sometimes need a break.

So I'm sure you've heard about these things so I bought something today to sort of get the iPhone out of my hands, much like the 9900 was for, but this is no smart device like a 9900 it's something else entirely different.....no apps needed

06-06-17 01:10 AM
    Naturally. The internal magnet is made from special rocks mined on the Moon, hand shaped by elves, and then blessed in the Vatican by the Holy Father himself. Then they are shipped back to England on the Queen's private Air Force plane, where Aston Martin's oldest employee Fred Baskins, hand-crafts the final fitting into the case, using tools left to him by his grandfather. He actually engraves his initials in letters too small to see with the naked eye, onto each magnet.
    I think you are actually JK Rowling but using an assumed name so that you can blend in with us mere mortals
    06-06-17 01:13 AM
    I think you are actually JK Rowling but using an assumed name so that you can blend in with us mere mortals
    Ms JK annoys me more than any other writer. I'll take Gore Vidal, Norman Mailer or Truman Capote any day. They write for 'grown-ups'. :-)

I enjoyed EFat's link (vielen danke) to the designers of the Bold, Z10 and Passport.

The big appeal of the Bold (hardware design) and the Z10 (software design) is in the thoughtful and polished way in which they 'do stuff'. It's a bit like driving a Mercedes.

What cheeses me off with Android, is that the OS feels like it's been thrown together by children. It's getting more powerful every day, and you can make it look like almost anything else, but it lacks the design elegance and finesse of the pre-Droid Blackberries, as does most 'Droid hardware.

I haven't driven or even sat in an Aston Martin, but I have owned Mercs and a Porsche, and those, along with the Bold and Z10 have the same purposefulness and evolution of design, with the pointless fripperies removed.

Waddever. I now drive a Renault. I spent the money I was saving for a new Porsche on food. :-)
    06-06-17 01:38 AM
    Gotta love driving Porsche. An exceptionally focused driving experience.
    Minimal "silly distractions". Imo. Much like our 99s, imo. Afaik, the first Porsche Styled BBs were based on 9900. No simple coincidence, imo.

Always had a sweet spot for Aston Martin. A part of me really wants to justify that many BigMacs for their very nice case, tho. Lol. Of course I'm one of those males who has a tough time justifying asking directions... (according to the wife, at least) so... lol.

Call it a cultural thing, maybe. I have a tough time justifying buying any new car. I've never once, thus far in life, purchased a brand new vehicle. Nor hired an oil change done. Certainly not a "cheapskate" thing. Nor a "food for Porsche" choice, in my case. More of a self sufficiency thing, I suppose. Old high school habit. Back in my "good Ole days" time, unflattering adjectives were applied to highschool boys who spent more than $15 on a vehicle and/or took less than two weeks to get the thing running! Lol. Some vehicle designs developed reputations for being worth the trouble. Our 99s share that reputation, imo.

Right or wrong, I've long felt that several folks throughout Aston Martin history "got it". Just like Dr Porsche, BMW's Alex von Falkenhausen, Boss Ket, Carroll Shelby, John Delorian, etc... also "got it". Imo. Gotta wonder what sort of stainless case Delorian might have fashioned for our stainless Bolds...??? Of course THAT's an odd topic to ponder on a website named "CRACKberry".... lol.

I believe SOMEone at RIM/BBRY also "got it"... Mike? Jim?? Joseph??. Another case of: "those who get it, get it. Those who don't, won't." ...

Keeping an almost 6 year old smartphone working can only be justified because it's worth the trouble. It's a "Bold thing". Those who must ask, might not understand the answer... lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-07-17 at 10:06 AM.
    06-07-17 05:54 AM
    Hello everyone! I am back using my trusted thats keeps on ticking bold 9900. My Blackberry Passport has the dreaded screen lift and had to regulate it to home use only. Want to get a KEYone but sold out at best buy and Amazon, which there is a 1-2 month shipping delay on Amazon. I most likely will get it come Christmas but until then it is the little guy that will help keep me in communication with family and friends, which is does the best at!

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    06-07-17 03:28 PM
    Speaking of that S8, I have a friend who is big into Android and her current Samsung (I didn't ask which) is slowing down too much and she needs more space, so I think she is tempted to get the S8 and she's going to wait a month or so. I have a feeling it's S8 she wants because she's really big into Samsung. I'm so tempted to show a screenshot of what you said about the repair shops but it might cause some grief ;-)

I'm not just making stuff up today. (Though sometimes it does happen :-)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...en-replacement

You might want to send that link...or not...:-)
    I rather like this quote from the article:
    "...It was deemed the most breakable phone of all time: "S8 is the first phone we've tested that's cracked on the first drop on ALL sides,"

Posted via CB10
    06-07-17 06:28 PM

"...It was deemed the most breakable phone of all time: "S8 is the first phone we've tested that's cracked on the first drop on ALL sides,"

Posted via CB10
    Actually I watched this one yesterday because of that friend getting an S8 and I wanted to prove her wrong but you might be surprised at the outcome!!!! I was cheering for the iPhone ....

06-07-17 07:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I did post your article so she would be sure to see it tho
    06-07-17 07:11 PM
    What cheeses me off with Android, is that the OS feels like it's been thrown together by children.
    Well, it _was_ "thrown together by children" whose main concern was not the user experience or productivity, but a.) getting something "free" out the door to get picked up by hardware OEMs, and b.) building a framework for apps to hoover up all your personal data.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Sue-zz likes this.
    06-07-17 09:11 PM
    Hello everyone! I am back using my trusted thats keeps on ticking bold 9900. My Blackberry Passport has the dreaded screen lift and had to regulate it to home use only. Want to get a KEYone but sold out at best buy and Amazon, which there is a 1-2 month shipping delay on Amazon. I most likely will get it come Christmas but until then it is the little guy that will help keep me in communication with family and friends, which is does the best at!

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    Too bad about the Passport!! I've never had any issues with mine other than occasional double-typing with the "c."

Anyway, pull up a chair and welcome back to BoldenBurg!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-07-17 09:16 PM
    I would totally get a Bold 9900 as my 5th phone for nostalgia reasons (even though I have the Classic), but too bad my carrier, Public Mobile, doesn't offer BIS.
    06-08-17 12:10 AM
8,754 ... 231232233234235 ...