How about Viber for the 9900? What's the status on that
    Viber was one of the first apps i re-downloaded on my 9900 last May but they stopped their support around Jan-Feb 2016 and it doesn't allow users to create or re-activate accounts, only accounts that were active before that date continue to work, it was so unfortunate for me to have to re-load the OS on my 9900, its a shame backing up and restoring from the back up can't by-pass the reactivation of these apps like how the BBM app works.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-13-17 06:17 PM
    Line was going to be my whatsapp replacement, but i guess it wasn't meant to be
    I Don't know if this will be helpful, but Jabber/XMPP still works using the IM+ app. XMPP is a universal chat standard and there should be apps available on every platform. If you could convince people to use it (lol -- the big problem), you'd be set. That being said, I can't even convince my wife to use it, so...
    05-13-17 07:40 PM
    I Don't know if this will be helpful, but Jabber/XMPP still works using the IM+ app. XMPP is a universal chat standard and there should be apps available on every platform. If you could convince people to use it (lol -- the big problem), you'd be set. That being said, I can't even convince my wife to use it, so...
    Oh IM+ still works? i think it costs quite a lot to buy the app so i was always wary of it because of how many apps don't work once you've downloaded them. I think it would be easier to convince people to use BBM than XMPP. I wish people weren't so hung up on the idea of using BBM.

05-13-17 07:55 PM
    Oh IM+ still works? i think it costs quite a lot to buy the app so i was always wary of it because of how many apps don't work once you've downloaded them. I think it would be easier to convince people to use BBM than XMPP. I wish people weren't so hung up on the idea of using BBM.

Very little works on IM+, but XMPP is one of the few services that is still functioning. Google Talk, ICQ, and AIM may also still work. Trillian works for the same services and @kb7sqi likes it better.
    05-13-17 09:54 PM
    Some girl in Instagram had this, I would say it's Tweeteriffic

Sue-zz likes this.
    05-13-17 11:41 PM
    All the original I.M clients have been killed off for many years, which makes me believe that in a few years Whatsapp, Snap Chat and these type of apps will lose popularity, something better and improved will come out and they will be left struggling like what they did the original I.M clients.
    It does become impossible to stay in touch with people as they switch Carriers, get a new phone number, move away from Skype, Line, BBM, IM, er- fax, and so on.

One of the great features of the Bold/BBM epoch was the ease of messaging people, now, the more tech we have, the harder it becomes.

This thread should have a BBM group, anyone set one up yet?
    05-14-17 02:04 AM
    @ralph: "Some girl in Instagram had this, I would say it's Tweeteriffic"

True love. Only Bold can do this. :-)
    05-14-17 02:06 AM
    @ralph: "Some girl in Instagram had this, I would say it's Tweeteriffic"

True love. Only Bold can do this. :-)
    I believe that's a Q10
    05-14-17 03:26 AM
    I believe that's a Q10
    Oops! That's my cred down there in the gutter.
    05-14-17 04:17 AM
    Many will see all of us as stuck in the gutter if still using an old BlackBerry in 2017 ( be that a Bold or BB10 device)
    05-14-17 06:23 AM
    Many will see all of us as stuck in the gutter if still using an old BlackBerry in 2017 ( be that a Bold or BB10 device)
    Yeah, my Bold was seen as 'charmingly retro'. My Z10: 'Where do you wind it up?'

Let them laugh.
    05-14-17 06:28 AM
    Yup I kinda recognized it as a Q10 but it we see ANY Blackberry Physical key boarded device anywhere anymore in the wild we must consider it a rare find
    05-14-17 11:00 AM

This thread should have a BBM group, anyone set one up yet?
    There was one called Still Bold I believe. I wouldn't have called it a flaming success because people would come and go, many complained of the constant notifications and left, but when a BB10 group was created that pretty much killed the Bold group.

Probably beneficial to keep the flame going here in Crackberry so people still are aware this device is still in use.

But hey, maybe that's just me.
    05-14-17 11:04 AM
    There was one called Still Bold I believe. I wouldn't have called it a flaming success because people would come and go, many complained of the constant notifications and left, but when a BB10 group ....

If I recall I think the founder of the group actually gave up on the Bold and left BlackBerry altogether. That was a while ago, I think I was only on it for a week before that happened so that was that....

I agree at least here we stand a chance of this being archived in perpetuity :-)
    05-14-17 11:42 AM
    many complained of the constant notifications and left
    lol. I think that was me!
    05-14-17 12:55 PM
    The 'Still Bold' BBM group (started by Newfangled) remains available but is largely inactive. I think it remains a useful alternative to CB forums, there may be some infrequent discussions that we don't want open to all and/or don't want preserved.
    05-14-17 12:58 PM
    Where is Newfangled BTW? When is the last anyone heard from him? I do follow his page in BBM but haven't checked in quite a while.....
    05-14-17 04:11 PM

Experienced my first Windows phone today I had to help a friend of mine set up whatever this thing is I've never had experience with them before. Setting up Internet explorer for Wi-Fi was really easy as she does not have a data plan on this device. But the issue I had was the very low volume on every single ringtone they offer it was practically nonexistent and yes the volume was cranked up to 10 on every ringtone. Something like this really makes you appreciate The 9900s very loud volume and a multitude of ringtones to choose from built right into the device.

Not impressed and I would still use the 9900 over this.
    05-14-17 04:27 PM
    Where is Newfangled BTW? When is the last anyone heard from him? I do follow his page in BBM but haven't checked in quite a while.....
    How coincidental that you would ask and then mention a Windows phone. Last I saw of him was when I was lurking over in Windows Central about a month ago.
    05-14-17 06:24 PM
    How coincidental that you would ask and then mention a Windows phone. Last I saw of him was when I was lurking over in Windows Central about a month ago.
    I guess I am smarter than I look
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-14-17 06:29 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cd5be38052.jpg

Experienced my first Windows phone today I had to help a friend of mine set up whatever this thing is I've never had experience with them before.
    <snip>
    BLU is 'Bold Like Us' , so presumably they are going to be the perfect phone, for ex-Bolders, other than having the wrong form factor, the wrong O/S, and the wrong battery, :-)

We have Windows phones for work. They're pretty secure , other than MicroSoft keeps 'updating' them so nothing works, and all the apps are disappearing.

A bit like BB OS 7/10. I feel right at home.
    05-15-17 12:55 AM
    BLU is 'Bold Like Us' , so presumably they are going to be the perfect phone, for ex-Bolders, other than having the wrong form factor, the wrong O/S, and the wrong battery, :-)

We have Windows phones for work. They're pretty secure , other than MicroSoft keeps 'updating' them so nothing works, and all the apps are disappearing.

A bit like BB OS 7/10. I feel right at home.
    They're probably secure because I couldn't even find an App Store for this thing, in fact I don't even know if there is an App Store for this thing ;-)

EDIT: the other issue she has is the extremely LOW ringtones, so I did a quick search and discovered people complaining that they are forced to install apps so they can hear their text and calling notifications. Seems like a ridiculous device.

I mean, who could put up with that...
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-15-17 at 11:10 AM.
    05-15-17 01:27 AM
    They're probably secure because I couldn't even find an App Store for this thing, in fact I don't even know if there is an App Store for this thing ;-)

EDIT: the other issue she has is the extremely LOW ringtones, so I did a quick search and discovered people complaining that they are forced to install apps so they can hear their text and calling notifications. Seems like a ridiculous device.

I mean, who could put up with that...

Perhaps it is time for er, something with, say a light on the front which flashes when a call comes in. Who could invent such a device?

I've binned a couple of phones because they really didn't function as 'devices for the transmission and reception of speech', though all the BB's I've owned have been great including the little Curves.

"Hey Cortana! Turn the volume up."

<silence>
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 05-15-17 at 12:54 PM.
    05-15-17 12:34 PM
    Oh I have used Windows phones, specifically BLU one too. There's more wrong than just ringtone volume! Overall it is much more buggy than competitors and the app store is more empty then BB10 by a large margin.

I really don't know if there are any benefits to this thing. Microsoft may keep updating it, but it's got a long way to go before even catching up to BlackBerry.

I'll take my Bold any day.

anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-15-17 04:24 PM

Perhaps it is time for er, something with, say a light on the front which flashes when a call comes in. Who could invent such a device?

I've binned a couple of phones because they really didn't function as 'devices for the transmission and reception of speech', though all the BB's I've owned have been great including the little Curves.

"Hey Cortana! Turn the volume up."

<silence>
    lol ya it's pretty ridiculous tho. Thats one thing Blackberry Legacy never cheaped out on are the ringtones. They are designed to be heard in a noisy trading house with people yelling at the top of their lungs. My iphone 5C was pretty pathetic for ear piece volume and if a car went by on the street I often had to have the person repeat what they said.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-15-17 05:23 PM
8,754 ... 226227228229230 ...