So I got the Bold today: they accidentally sent a white one. I also forgot how small the device is. Probably sending it back and moving on to another Classic. I know, I'm a chump but even if BIS was fully operational like it should be I was surprised at how small the keys are.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6579f76565.png
    In this post on the other thread you said you liked the size.

Coming from a 9780 the KB size is perfect on the 9900. In fact, for many like myself, coming from an iPhone 5C of 3 years the width of the 9900 KB is a God sent.

In fact as I type this on my new iPhone 7 I realize the frustration with glass and still realize the 9900 KB is absolutely perfect....

But it's always a good thing to research products before you buy, if you are not sure
    05-08-17 10:34 PM
    It just didn't seem the way I remembered it. Guess I was riding the wave of enthusiasm of the thread and appreciate it until it was time to really use it. Still a sentimental favorite
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-08-17 11:01 PM
    Any of you guys love the Style? You know that clamshell BB? . Just kidding....

Now you're probably like "who let this guy in here?"
    05-09-17 12:09 AM
    So I got the Bold today: they accidentally sent a white one. I also forgot how small the device is. Probably sending it back and moving on to another Classic. I know, I'm a chump but even if BIS was fully operational like it should be I was surprised at how small the keys are.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6579f76565.png
    Ah, I like this accident. A white Bold always look good.

BTW, I'd like to have the Style for my collection. It's not usable here as CDMA had been gone long a go. But the look is great, the snapping sound when closing the clam shell, and it also make a great clock standing in its charging pod.

Posted from my  Passport
    05-09-17 06:48 AM
    "Regarding encryption and security, there was a woman in here a few months ago right in this thread who was working in IT.."

Well, I see I'm fondly remembered. :-)

Can't complain about BB Os7 with BIS. We got shifted to Windows Mobile here, but the amount of background data being collected increases with each update to WP10. Uh-Oh.

So, I'm back on the BB Z10, (and the two five-year old LS1 spare batteries. )

We've also just carried out similar checks on a new 'secure' Android. Came with TrueCaller as the default dialler. So that lit up all the red lights and Klaxons and we put it in a bucket of water till the animal control people get here.

Good to see The Great Bold Revival Thread still alive and kicking.

Stay Bold.

All the best.
    anon(9721108) and Mr Byte like this.
    05-09-17 10:56 AM
    "Regarding encryption and security, there was a woman in here a few months ago right in this thread who was working in IT.."

Well, I see I'm fondly remembered. :-)
    Indeed and you must never neglect your fans

Good to see ya
    05-09-17 11:57 AM
    Any of you guys love the Style? You know that clamshell BB? . Just kidding....

Now you're probably like "who let this guy in here?"
    I remember looking at them new. At the time I was still using a Motorola RAZR and the idea of a full keyboard was new to me.
    05-09-17 11:58 AM
    Haha... you like what you like. Nothing to apologize for.

Bigger keys = bigger device, tho. Reliably reaching the far column of Classic's keys is a stretch too far for my old thumb. Possible, but slower and too likely to hit "z" while reaching for "alt", for example. For me, anyway. 9900 keys are gigantic, compared with 9650. Not sure about when but sometime around the Pearl years I started typing with thumb nail, rather than thumb flesh. Bold's sculptured keys work nicely with thumb nails. Thumb nails are very precise and fast, even on tiny 9650. 9900 is wonderful with nails, imo. Rough on key paint, tho.
    05-09-17 03:28 PM
    Thanks for that, i downloaded it in Google Play store for my Priv, it really has such a simple design like the BBOS MemoPad, i'm happy about this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I prefer Noted, it's a native BB10 app I believe. Very simple, sort of like the Memo but does not normally sync to cloud (which is a plus in my opinion). It does have a backup feature, so I imagine if you have OneDrive or similar hooked up, it will do that too.

I actually don't mind Remember, there's many really good things about it, just a quick note app though it is a bit overkill

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 04:08 PM
    I prefer Noted, it's a native BB10 app I believe. Very simple, sort of like the Memo but does not normally sync to cloud (which is a plus in my opinion). It does have a backup feature, so I imagine if you have OneDrive or similar hooked up, it will do that too.

I actually don't mind Remember, there's many really good things about it, just a quick note app though it is a bit overkill

Posted via CB10
    You can use Simplenote's Android app without a cloud storage account if you like. I don't know if there is any way to backup or transfer the notes (besides cut and paste) without an account though.

Another bonus: dark theme.

Edit: So I checked out Noted and I like it. Nice suggestion. It definitely is native. If I was going to use an app with local storage only, it's the one I'd use. It even has a password protected secure note section. As EFats mentioned, you can export and import notes (one at a time, but at least the function is present, and it wouldn't take too long to export a couple of dozen notes), and it has a nice dark theme.

But at this point I really like having my notes available on all my devices (mostly notes from books I'm reading, shopping lists, etc.), and I follow Simplenote's suggestion that no sensitive information should be stored in the cloud.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 05-09-17 at 05:21 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-09-17 05:03 PM
    Indeed and you must never neglect your fans

Good to see ya

Yes, it's good to have friends, even if they're virtual.

Your Q&A's Answered:

1) Where the heck is your Bold?

Erm, it's complicated. But it involves portrait screens, a field-data collection database, and leaving my Bold in a restaurant after three Martinis. Post-Brexit, the price of new UK Bold 9900's has shot up, so my work phone as a network analyst is a W*nd*ws phone, and I've dug out my trusty Z10 for personal use.

2) Have you any updates on the security aspects of BB7/10/Android?

No. For some reason Monsieur Chen didn't send me a free DTEK, a Priv, or yet a KeyOne. But it's my birthday soon, so ya never know.

3) What's the weight of twenty-eight Brazilian Anacondas?

Wrong forum.

4) Do you miss your Bold?

Yes I do. Mostly, I miss the notification light and BIS. BIS is Good and Fast and Secure. But the world has moved on, which is to say, it hasn't got any better without BIS. But many will disagree. The Bold was, ya know, perfect.

5) What is the future for BB phones with keyboards?

It's impossible to forecast the future. The Bold seems to me to be an icon of usability, with an in-built comprehension of how to get things done for business users. It seems to me that social media is driving mobile development, with FaceBook and WhatsApp becoming 'The Internet' for many people. Software, and social apps, not hardware, are the winners, I think.

BlackBerry had to mesh with that shift, ending up with Android derivatives and a garnish of BlackBerry-ness. It's interesting how iPhone has continued to succeed, where BB hasn't. I haven't figured out the reason, other than the 'premium' and vanity aspect of iThings, and the cultural perceptions of BlackBerry as 'dead' despite the recent DTEK, Priv and KeyOne. But they are all expensive, though so is an iThing. Maybe KeyOne is the new Bold. But, there are buts.

And, now, work beckons. Back to your regular Bold viewing. :-)

~~~
    idssteve likes this.
    05-10-17 01:35 AM
    It's impossible to forecast the future. The Bold seems to me to be an icon of usability, with an in-built comprehension of how to get things done for business users. It seems to me that social media is driving mobile development, with FaceBook and WhatsApp becoming 'The Internet' for many people. Software, and social apps, not hardware, are the winners, I think.
    My prediction is a backlash against the very phenomenon you describe -- Facebook addicts will come to be regarded as suckers, who have only enriched WasteCrook and Google by giving away every aspect of their personal lives; and for what? -- so they can be advertised to. People will slowly come to realize that while they're standing there, staring at Facebook and "liking" a never-ending stream of trivial nonsense, LIFE is happening: Their kids are trying to talk to them, their spouses need their attention, there's a beautiful sunset...

Or not. Maybe we're all just as stupid as Zuckerberg thinks we are.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    ArbuckleWillis likes this.
    05-10-17 10:02 AM
    My prediction is a backlash against the very phenomenon you describe -- Facebook addicts will come to be regarded as suckers, who have only enriched WasteCrook and Google by giving away every aspect of their personal lives; and for what? -- so they can be advertised to. People will slowly come to realize that while they're standing there, staring at Facebook and "liking" a never-ending stream of trivial nonsense, LIFE is happening: Their kids are trying to talk to them, their spouses need their attention, there's a beautiful sunset...

Or not. Maybe we're all just as stupid as Zuckerberg thinks we are.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    A coworker & wife recently felt "publicly ostracized" at a parent's meeting for failing to post photos on fb of their child at a preschool graduation... !! Go figure... he reports that they acted like "we did it... what's your problem?". And someone apparently commented something like: "your daughter will be mad at you when she grows up and learns you didn't post her photo...". WTH!! ??? Are we facing a future where NOT posting on fb might represent "child abuse".??? Lol.
    05-10-17 12:00 PM
    A coworker & wife recently felt "publicly ostracized" at a parent's meeting for failing to post photos on fb of their child at a preschool graduation... !! Go figure... he reports that they acted like "we did it... what's your problem?". And someone apparently commented something like: "your daughter will be mad at you when she grows up and learns you didn't post her photo...". WTH!! ??? Are we facing a future where NOT posting on fb might represent "child abuse".??? Lol.
    I'm... I'm... Sorry; head still spinning. Wow.

05-10-17 12:08 PM
    I'm... I'm... Sorry; head still spinning. Wow.

Haha, that was pretty much the consensus reaction in the breakroom. I have grandkids possibly facing similar peer pressures. Sure pray it's really not what it quacks like...
    05-10-17 12:50 PM
    Haha, that was pretty much the consensus reaction in the breakroom. I have grandkids possibly facing similar peer pressures. Sure pray it's really not what it quacks like...
    I miss Usenet. Whatever happened to the good old days when the Internet was for nerds?

It's been September* for a very long time.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
    05-10-17 01:11 PM
    I miss Usenet. Whatever happened to the good old days when the Internet was for nerds?

It's been September* for a very long time.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
    Afaik, winter solstice once Chapel Hill is down. If not by now?? Lol. Great in its day. Commercialization was inevitable but got kinda weird in L8r yrs, for my tastes. Compuserve got pretty good for nighttime hourly rate personal use in later yrs. Compuserve's day time minute rates were prohibitive, tho.... except for H&R Block... lol.
    05-10-17 03:39 PM
    Wish the bold had the screen of the 9810 with and body/keyboard of the bold... hmmmmm

I miss when devices were smaller. My iPhone 7 plus is a great camera and I love the voice commands and speed of it but it's hideous and feels like I'm wearing plate armor... constantly swapping for my 9810 and 9930
    05-10-17 05:46 PM
    "I miss when devices were smaller"

The Truth has surfaced. Bold was in the Goldilocks area of size v. usability. Curve 9320 was smaller, but almost too small. KeyOne looks huge: 5.87 x 2.85 x 0.37 inches .

The crap essential electronic devices I have to carry around to do 'work' is becoming annoying. 10" tablet is too big, 6" tall phone like carrying a brick.

I also dislike touchscreens, which is like saying I should retire to a cave and get a Nokia 105.

The social media Tribalisation is a becoming a problem. I won't use FaceBook, friends won't 'phone' or even send texts, so non SocMed users become social pariahs. SocMed has developed into a collective madness, really. Bring back BBM.
    idssteve and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    05-11-17 01:45 AM
    "I miss when devices were smaller"

The Truth has surfaced. Bold was in the Goldilocks area of size v. usability. Curve 9320 was smaller, but almost too small. KeyOne looks huge: 5.87 x 2.85 x 0.37 inches .

The crap essential electronic devices I have to carry around to do 'work' is becoming annoying. 10" tablet is too big, 6" tall phone like carrying a brick.

I also dislike touchscreens, which is like saying I should retire to a cave and get a Nokia 105.

The social media Tribalisation is a becoming a problem. I won't use FaceBook, friends won't 'phone' or even send texts, so non SocMed users become social pariahs. SocMed has developed into a collective madness, really. Bring back BBM.
    I can barely get my mits around my new iPhone 7 with an OtterBox commuter case on it.

I think more people, the ones I know anyway, are actually using Facebook less and I find this ironic because Facebook is getting more useful for example the voice calling on messenger is actually very clear and static free. For long-distance calls it's great but everyone gets free Canada wide calling or whatever in our standard with their cell phone plans in 99% of cases. I am actually able now to pick up the phone and answer a call and I can tell the difference in sound quality between Wi-Fi calling on Facebook messenger, a regular phone call or whatsapp Wi-Fi calling. Each has their own characteristics and each are now equally impressive in quality. The old days of Skype with cutting out etc. were just terrible and nothing like what it is today on these apps.

I am guilty of using Facebook and Twitter and Snapchat and WhatsApp but I also use them to sell stuff so they can be of use. Of particular value are the multitude of Facebook garage sale groups where you can post anything and within minutes it can be sold. People are even putting their automobiles on there and I have to say it is pretty interesting.

Data collection is an issue, we know this. I don't think the vast multitude of people care about security or data mining. Apps have just become a huge part of people's lives and they really aren't too many that want to do without them. And that is a shame. It's almost like to have the most state-of-the-art device, and be able to do more with it, you have to give up the most of your privacy or security.

I recently started doing phone app banking besides the standard calling the bank line. I do feel relatively secure in this because most banks will guarantee to replace your money if there was a glitch or a hack, etc. and my bank is no exception. But this is also something I swore I would never do. But there I am doing it. I also use Apple Pay now, but that is basically the exact same thing as tapping your debit card like tap to pay.

I'm curious now to Google if any bank app has ever been hacked deliberately. These searches are often fun and interesting, but from my POV it might prove to be a little scary as well ;-)
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-11-17 at 03:26 AM.
    05-11-17 02:02 AM
    Just when I think it's probably OK, I find an article like this…

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/...-app-hack/amp/
    05-11-17 03:30 AM
    "Of particular value are the multitude of Facebook garage sale groups where you can post anything and within minutes it can be sold. People are even putting their automobiles on there and I have to say it is pretty interesting."

Yep, I can see how useful it is. My curiosity keeps pushing me to open an FB account, but my brain won't let me. I guess if I sold stuff it would be very useful.

One new-fangled gizmo I do use are NFC tags, there's one in the car to turn on BlueTooth, another on my keyring to auto-send an 'I'm on my way' text to the office with a dab of the tag.

The other rave-fave is BB Blend, so the phone messaging appears on the Desktop. Haven't seen anything as useful on the other platforms, though I haven't lived with an iPhone.

My bank still has a working BB10 app in BB World, seems very secure looking at the logs.

I'm also finding I can type faster on the Z10 virtual keyboard than on the Bold's PKB. But the Bold just feels 'right'.

Weird how we all differ. :-)
    05-11-17 05:57 AM
    Yep, I can see how useful it is. My curiosity keeps pushing me to open an FB account, but my brain won't let me. I guess if I sold stuff it would be very useful.
    Don't give in!

I just can't be on social networks. I read Super Sad True Love Story a few years ago. It's a satire in which everyone has a little device on which they can comment on everyone else and see their credit, personality, and f***ability scores when they walk into a room. In fact, there are lamp-post style poles on the streets that flash your scores as you walk beneath them. LOL. It still makes me laugh but it's way too close to the truth, as good satire should be.
    05-11-17 09:55 AM
    Don't give in!

I just can't be on social networks. I read Super Sad True Love Story a few years ago. It's a satire in which everyone has a little device on which they can comment on everyone else and see their credit, personality, and f***ability scores when they walk into a room. In fact, there are lamp-post style poles on the streets that flash your scores as you walk beneath them. LOL. It still makes me laugh but it's way too close to the truth, as good satire should be.
    Well if people allow their apps to share that kind of information then they deserve to be hacked ;-)
    05-11-17 10:21 AM
    Don't give in!

There is something similar in one of the 'Black Mirror' episodes on N*tFl*x in which social status ratings are used to ban 'unworthy' people from the more elite social gatherings. Er, um.

This thing about mobile phone brands and physical size now indicating social status is nuts. If I meet someone clutching a huge Android phone and compulsively thumbing it I try to avoid them, Contrarywise, if I see someone furtively clutching a BlackBerry, I'll instinctively know that they are either an IT savant or work at the White House, probably enjoy Dry Martinis and Kent Lights*, and generally don't give a damn. :-)

*smoking kills
    Berry Happy 2 likes this.
    05-11-17 11:46 AM
8,754 ... 224225226227228 ...