Well, I need to have ola/meeru/uber android apps to be able to book cab in India

There is no other way

And if I have to recharge my mobile, I have to use android paytm app. Paytm website doesn't work efficiently and I cant recharge through website

Im curious, how do you book cab or recharge mobile data through 9900?

Hmm... yeah, dual carry isn't for everyone. I'll leave my oversized stuff behind and carry only compact 99 any chance I get. Carrying the oversized extras depends on expected need for a given day. Many times, what ever my oversized stuff does can wait till I get back to them. 99 takes care of real time critical communications till then. For me. Everyone's use case is unique, tho.

I'm unclear what you mean by "book cab or recharge mobile" ??
    I have no trouble booking cabs, lodging, dining, etc on 99 in most US cities... if that's what you mean?? And 99 is easiest mobile there is to recharge... ? I sense maybe I'm misinterpreting something?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-01-17 02:49 AM
    Well, I need to have ola/meeru/uber android apps to be able to book cab in India

There is no other way

And if I have to recharge my mobile, I have to use android paytm app. Paytm website doesn't work efficiently and I cant recharge through website

Im curious, how do you book cab or recharge mobile data through 9900?

Ah! I was badly misinterpreting things... I think Uber is a great concept but have not tried it, yet. For regular routes, I have quite a few "Taxi" contact entries that generally gets me where I'm going. These include a few sms contacts... Sometimes directly to a particular driver... depending on which company & city policy. Lol. Otherwise, I've had little trouble finding taxi services in strange towns via 99's browser. Here in the US.

Also, simpleton that I am mistook "recharge" as something one does with a battery. Lol. Sorry I didn't get that. I do have a pay-as-you-go phone on VZW that I have, in the past, paid it forward over 99. BUT, since I elected to avoid using 9900 for financial activities a couple years ago (self imposed due to lack of security updates)(never heard of a bonafide breach, btw)(fwiw), can't claim to have done any "re-charging" over 99 lately. Lol. Sorry for confusion.

In fact, I haven't been to India, or out of the country, for quite a few years. Part of my third retirement agreement with the wife... lol. Carried a sat phone last time... LONG ago... lol.

What parts of India do you frequent? One of my crew's "smart guys" transferred back to his home town outside (north?) of Mumbai. He's doing great, we hear, but we sure miss him.
    05-01-17 08:07 AM
    Alright then. I was wondering if I had missed out some other tool/app for messaging. And yes, KISS is how I would like to keep it.

My son Iphone had a sudden death so he's been using my spare Bold. Two days ago, he rushed in and excitingly announce that his data cost has been only a fraction of what he used to pay with the deceased phone. He's on facebook all the time and is using the web base version, among various other things that kids use their phone for. He is not even on a BIS plan. I guess I am not going to get that Bold back.

Posted from my  Passport
    Yeah, I know my BIS 99 gets 90% of use, including ALL of LOTS of TuneIn radio every time I'm driving. It's rare to see 99 using a full GB of data. I left a newly acquired D60 charging in my desk, a few months ago, and had to get a coworker in the office to shut that data hog down!! 5+GB/month just sitting there. Still not sure WHAT that thing was doing but it wasn't doing it for ME! Lol.
    05-01-17 08:29 AM
    Hahah! Mistake is from my side as I'm a bit vague!! Sorry for the confusion. I'm from Hyderabad, south part of India.

Ah! I was badly misinterpreting things... I think Uber is a great concept but have not tried it, yet. For regular routes, I have quite a few "Taxi" contact entries that generally gets me where I'm going. These include a few sms contacts... Sometimes directly to a particular driver... depending on which company & city policy. Lol. Otherwise, I've had little trouble finding taxi services in strange towns via 99's browser. Here in the US.

Also, simpleton that I am mistook "recharge" as something one does with a battery. Lol. Sorry I didn't get that. I do have a pay-as-you-go phone on VZW that I have, in the past, paid it forward over 99. BUT, since I elected to avoid using 9900 for financial activities a couple years ago (self imposed due to lack of security updates)(never heard of a bonafide breach, btw)(fwiw), can't claim to have done any "re-charging" over 99 lately. Lol. Sorry for confusion.

In fact, I haven't been to India, or out of the country, for quite a few years. Part of my third retirement agreement with the wife... lol. Carried a sat phone last time... LONG ago... lol.

What parts of India do you frequent? One of my crew's "smart guys" transferred back to his home town outside (north?) of Mumbai. He's doing great, we hear, but we sure miss him.

05-01-17 10:01 AM
    This popped up on "memories" and I must have taken it with the iPad, and a few months before I put the new white KB on it. One year ago. Geez I'm hungry!

05-01-17 10:13 AM
    new 99 user here.. swapped the sim out from q10 to 99. let's see how it performs. sad, that my carrier does not offer BIS data plans.. however, logicmail is functioning alright.

05-02-17 08:35 AM
    new 99 user here.. swapped the sim out from q10 to 99. let's see how it performs. sad, that my carrier does not offer BIS data plans.. however, logicmail is functioning alright.

Cool. You might miss some apps though?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-02-17 04:54 PM
    How is battery life on your bb9900. Can you please let me know
    05-03-17 01:28 AM
    With hevavy browsing, battery lasts for 6 to 7 hrs for me. Do you think this is normal!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-03-17 02:21 PM
    With hevavy browsing, battery lasts for 6 to 7 hrs for me. Do you think this is normal!
    When on the road with heavy use , yeah it's possible.
    You carry around some spare batteries ?
    05-03-17 03:58 PM
    Very normal.
    05-03-17 07:50 PM
    Very normal.
    OK thanks
    05-04-17 12:56 AM
    When on the road with heavy use , yeah it's possible.
    You carry around some spare batteries ?
    No, I wont
    05-04-17 12:56 AM
    I got the dreaded "Phone not supported" message in whatsapp today, this is quite sad, I was hoping to let some contacts know and to also change my status to my other phone number for contacting purposes.
    05-04-17 08:27 AM
    Nice to see this thread is still going after all this time! As some might know, I was a big 9900 user for the longest time and still have much respect for the device. I ended up selling mine and switching to the DTEK50 back around Oct 2016. What did it for me in the end was that the email experience was starting to degrade from what I was used to. Too many of the HTML type emails I would receive started showing up blank. With Android, there's a software called AkrutoSync which allows you to sync all your Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes over WiFi to multiple Android smartphones/tablets. It's awesome.

However there's still one mother* feature that Android can't do (yet?), which BlackBerry was awesome for in both BBOS and BB10. And that is, the ability to use the volume up/down buttons to skip tracks during a long press. Simple concept, exceptionally executed. After all this time, I can't believe Android does not support this ability in the OS. Yes, there are a plethora of small tinker apps that claim to do this, but none of them work on my DTEK50. And from what I have read, it's a hit and miss for many users depending on the smartphone. This is the difference between a core OS feature, and something deferred to being implemented externally.

So if anyone asks about what BlackBerry does better, this is definitely one I will remember. Of course, with Android you get many great music player apps, like MediaMonkey which allows you to sync your entire music library over WiFi. With Android, you can also use other apps to sync things like your photos over Wifi, and I don't remember the last time I ever had to plug into my laptop via USB cable. I would never even think to use iOS instead of Android, but I would use BB10 or BBOS is I were forced to decide between those and iOS (don't like the walled garden and lack of flexibility/customization).

I do like the new BlackBerry Android devices over BB10 due to the wide selection of apps and standardized browsers (firefox/chrome). The added security (over stock Android), along with the bundled BlackBerry apps like the hub and DTEK security app, are great additions too.
    05-04-17 02:33 PM
    I got the dreaded "Phone not supported" message in whatsapp today, this is quite sad, I was hoping to let some contacts know and to also change my status to my other phone number for contacting purposes.
    So it's absolutely kaput now or?
    05-04-17 03:58 PM
    So it's absolutely kaput now or?
    Yes it's completely not working

When you click the whatsapp app it opens to this and doesn't give you any other options to bypass it.

I'm really considering getting a Classic, especially from the money when I sell the iPhone. That network issue still hasn't been fixed completely, many people are still affected and it's in it's second week already.
    05-04-17 04:03 PM
    Nice to see this thread is still going after all this time! As some might know, I was a big 9900 user for the longest time and still have much respect for the device. I ended up selling mine and switching to the DTEK50 back around Oct 2016. What did it for me in the end was that the email experience was starting to degrade from what I was used to. Too many of the HTML type emails I would receive started showing up blank. With Android, there's a software called AkrutoSync which allows you to sync all your Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes over WiFi to multiple Android smartphones/tablets. It's awesome.

However there's still one mother* feature that Android can't do (yet?), which BlackBerry was awesome for in both BBOS and BB10. And that is, the ability to use the volume up/down buttons to skip tracks during a long press. Simple concept, exceptionally executed. After all this time, I can't believe Android does not support this ability in the OS. Yes, there are a plethora of small tinker apps that claim to do this, but none of them work on my DTEK50. And from what I have read, it's a hit and miss for many users depending on the smartphone. This is the difference between a core OS feature, and something deferred to being implemented externally.

So if anyone asks about what BlackBerry does better, this is definitely one I will remember. Of course, with Android you get many great music player apps, like MediaMonkey which allows you to sync your entire music library over WiFi. With Android, you can also use other apps to sync things like your photos over Wifi, and I don't remember the last time I ever had to plug into my laptop via USB cable. I would never even think to use iOS instead of Android, but I would use BB10 or BBOS is I were forced to decide between those and iOS (don't like the walled garden and lack of flexibility/customization).

I do like the new BlackBerry Android devices over BB10 due to the wide selection of apps and standardized browsers (firefox/chrome). The added security (over stock Android), along with the bundled BlackBerry apps like the hub and DTEK security app, are great additions too.
    I remember you well, we talked a few times. I'm sure the others do as well.

I did not know about the track skipping but then I mostly used the 9900 for TuneIn radio and I only had a few songs sent via BBM on the 9900. I had dozens of songs when I had the 9780 because I knew more people using BBM and they would send me them when I asked

I still love the size of the 9900 and I can't believe we considered it a "larger" Blackberry at the time. Compared to my iPhone 7 (smaller 4.7 inch) it is downright TINY. But there is beauty in the size and form factor. I think it was sheer genius to taper off the outer edges of the 9900 because it tricks the hand into thinking the device is much thinner than it really is. The rubber for grip is also perfect and never wears away, virtually eliminating the need for a case.
    05-04-17 04:08 PM
    Hey Ralph, I hear you on those points about the size and form factor! One thing I forgot in my last post about the volume buttons, there's also the added mute button in between that also acted as a pause. Genius.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone for walks with my DTEK50 (or any other Android) and missed this functionality. Now in order to move a track, you have to take the phone out of your pocket, unlock the screen, view the app or widget, and manually press the back or forward button.

Bluetooth earphones work fine, because they usually have dedicated back/pause/forward buttons. But wired earphones for Android usually come with the default 1-button, which is used to answer/end calls and pause, and a double press advances the track. Some apps support a triple-press to reverse a track, but it's clumsy and often times doesn't work reliably.
    05-04-17 04:15 PM
    Yes it's completely not working https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...638733731c.jpg

When you click the whatsapp app it opens to this and doesn't give you any other options to bypass it.

I'm really considering getting a Classic, especially from the money when I sell the iPhone. That network issue still hasn't been fixed completely, many people are still affected and it's in it's second week already.
    If you were still using the beta version , you can upgrade.
    The latest version is still working.

The Classic is a great phone.
    ( I carry both )
    Unfortunately , it is at the same point with whatsapp.

There is talk now that Nemory has an app to bypass shutdown date.
    If whatsapp goes down at the end of June , I will certainly give it a try.
    ( worth the gamble at $3.00 )
    05-05-17 07:03 AM
    If you were still using the beta version , you can upgrade.
    The latest version is still working.

The Classic is a great phone.
    ( I carry both )
    Unfortunately , it is at the same point with whatsapp.

There is talk now that Nemory has an app to bypass shutdown date.
    If whatsapp goes down at the end of June , I will certainly give it a try.
    ( worth the gamble at $3.00 )
    I actually emailed Whatsapp about this and they told me in the email that after June 30th the sideloaded android Whatsapp will continue to work indefinitely as long as the android version is compatible, so the sideloaded whatsapp is always an option. I downloaded the beta version but it was the same message, should i delete the app from my phone and then download beta version?

05-05-17 07:07 AM
    I actually emailed Whatsapp about this and they told me in the email that after June 30th the sideloaded android Whatsapp will continue to work indefinitely as long as the android version is compatible, so the sideloaded whatsapp is always an option. I downloaded the beta version but it was the same message, should i delete the app from my phone and then download beta version?

That is good news for BB10 !

For the bold don't download the beta version.

https://www.whatsapp.com/ota/
    05-05-17 07:15 AM
    That is good news for BB10 !

For the bold don't download the beta version.

https://www.whatsapp.com/ota/
    Nothing works for my phone, also my network has been having issues for the last 2 weeks and it's really interfering with the emails on the 9900 so i'm really considering getting a Classic because the emails will work on wifi.

05-05-17 07:34 AM
    Nothing works for my phone, also my network has been having issues for the last 2 weeks and it's really interfering with the emails on the 9900 so i'm really considering getting a Classic because the emails will work on wifi.

Crap !
    Sorry to hear it won't work for you.

Definitely go for the Classic.
    Or how about the Key1 ?

( Sooner or later that is what I will go for ! )
    05-05-17 07:42 AM
    Crap !
    Sorry to hear it won't work for you.

Definitely go for the Classic.
    Or how about the Key1 ?

( Sooner or later that is what I will go for ! )
    I already have a Priv so i wouldn't upgrade to a KeyOne, i enjoy the slider layout. I need to have 2 separate phones, the one thing about the 9900 is the Memopad that will never be matched in BB10 and the memopad is something i use mutilple times per day, what i remember from using my Q10 was how small the writing was in the BB10 memopad and it was always harder reading it too with the red underline in non english words.

05-05-17 07:48 AM
8,754 ... 221222223224225 ...