Cool seeing some new "faces" in here....

For those of you that are dual carrying (and in many different countries it appears) I'd love to know if you swap the same sim, or 2 lines, also any issues or comments associated with this practice.....

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    I use two phones at the same time everyday, i have always used two phones probably for over a decade now, one of the main reasons is the cell network can go down or have some type of outage or even just not have as good coverage when traveling, the plan for my Bold 9900 is really cheap compared to other plans here, it's actually the cheapest because the phone can survive on 1GB of data per month, my Priv is pretty good too and i love using it. The network that my Bold is with went down for over a week, it's still getting intermittent data, i have checked with BlackBerry themselves and they confirmed that BIS is still active and without any issues on my phone. By the way, the signal in my Priv is better than in my iPhone 6, that is one thing i have noticed, going to the same places i seem to have better signal in the Priv compared to when i was using the iPhone 6 earlier this year and in 2016.
    04-28-17 08:03 AM
    I use two SIMs. The inconvenience bit is I don't sync through any mail service so any new contact have to be manually entered on both phones.

Posted from my  Passport
    I still wish Rogers would allow us to have 2! There are times I want to carry the 9900, and I don't always need all the apps I use on the iphone. I'm not too keen on swapping sims lately.

04-28-17 06:09 PM
    I use two phones at the same time everyday, i have always used two phones probably for over a decade now, one of the main reasons is the cell network can go down or have some type of outage or even just not have as good coverage when traveling, the plan for my Bold 9900 is really cheap compared to other plans here, it's actually the cheapest because the phone can survive on 1GB of data per month, my Priv is pretty good too and i love using it. The network that my Bold is with went down for over a week, it's still getting intermittent data, i have checked with BlackBerry themselves and they confirmed that BIS is still active and without any issues on my phone. By the way, the signal in my Priv is better than in my iPhone 6, that is one thing i have noticed, going to the same places i seem to have better signal in the Priv compared to when i was using the iPhone 6 earlier this year and in 2016.
    Good points, and I ALWAYS want to have 2 phones in case one dies or I drop one and it smashes into a thousand pieces and there is some critical call to make for life or death, etc. (as long as I have that ridiculous sim changge tool for the iphone to be able to swap in the first place)

Comparing cell tower signal strength I am noticing no differences between the 9900 and Iphone 7. BUT for Wifi signal strength I have done a lot of testing when I was travelling in the last few weeks and I am able to get slightly more range out of the iphone for wifi. There was always one room where the 9900 would not be able to pick up a wifi signal and the iphone had at least one bar at times BUT there were a couple of times when the iphone could not receive a signal as well.

04-28-17 06:30 PM
    What can I do to make Youversion bible app work on wifi without mobile data..I appreciate if there is any tip to make it work as I love this app very much especially on my beautiful 9900
    04-29-17 02:26 AM
    Anyway I have started to get onSearchError (106) in Spotify when I try to search for an artist, album or track. Otherwise the app works perfectly.
    My 9900 Spotify (nothing at all for my Passport, alas) has never loaded my songs. If I search for a song, I get it; but I usually use my iPad or laptop.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-29-17 02:58 AM
    I'll buy one more used 9900 on tomorrow as my current 9900 have some issues with volume/power buttons and mike

I will get around 15 mins time before I make my decision to buy or not

Can u pls give any tips that will be helpful to check phone condition in 15 mins
    04-29-17 10:36 AM
    My 9900 Spotify (nothing at all for my Passport, alas) has never loaded my songs. If I search for a song, I get it; but I usually use my iPad or laptop.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Update: After about 3 days of frustration Spotify is now working perfectly again on my 9900. I suspect it was a server side error as I did nothing to fix it.
    I believe Spotify uses BIS on the 9900 and hardly uses any data. I'm keen to keep it working on my Blackberry rather than using the app in my iPhone SE which is more data hungry.
    04-29-17 01:33 PM
    Maybe somewhat off topic but fellow Bold fans might find entertainment if not directly relate...

BIG field project completed yesterday! Finally! 3 weeks (22 days) ahead of schedule and embarrassingly under budget. And hey, it's a bid job... Lol. Bonuses in store for the crew! At least partly thanks to the exquisite productivity of our tool choices. Assigning the right resource to the given task pays off. Including our brilliantly evolved 9930s!

We were packing up, loading equipment, tidying up documentation, etc in preparation to head home tomorrow. Client's rep approached me, along with my "competing colleague", asking to discuss if my crew could stay & help out our "competitor" struggling on the other side of the jobsite. Hmm...

I'd originally declined to bid on that portion knowing we just couldn't do both within allotted time. I had, however, recommended this very capable and conscientious former employee for that project. All week, my crew had been anticipating a celebration meal, final night, at a very good local BBQ spot. I invited Client and competitor to join us and discuss. Also invited competitor's crew to join us. A great bunch of folks. Turned into quite the merry evening. Unlike us, tho, they still had work to do tomorrow... Learned decades ago, hangovers last longer with age, ime. Lol.

Once seated and ordered we exchanged some project details including drawings, spreadsheets, etc. Which I promptly forwarded to a few of my crew seated at another table. One observation prompted a chuckle as I reminisced Ralph's thread, etc... Sauced up BabyBacks are NOT compatible with cell phones but particularly oversized two handed Samsungs! Lol. Throughout the meal, I exchanged messages, data, etc, etc, with management, coworkers, family & other clients, client's personnel and competitor's personnel. All in left hand without ever touching "old" 99 with my sauced up right hand!

After receiving and replying to several messages himself, my former employee turned competitor became exasperated with cleaning both sauced up hands AND his Samsung, and proclaimed: "I see you're still a damned machine, Steve...". HaHa rotflmao! Of course he knew I'd take it as a compliment. MY childhood heroes were John Wayne, Charles Kettering AND Mr Spock!! He couldn't have uttered a finer compliment!!

Finally assembled an estimate, shot it over to Client's Classic, seated across the table. He cleaned off enough fingers to operate kb & trackpad with a napkin covered thumb to pull it up and nodded affirmative. Myself and four volunteers will stay an extra couple weeks to assist "competitor" with a QC/QA niche service we're known for in our industry. A service we clobber our competitors with... Thanks to our 99s!

My former employee's newer management just can't accept that five year old BlackBerry's might do ANYthing better than newest Samsungs. Lol. They're about to be shown otherwise, we think... Should be interesting couple weeks. Lol.

Justa update on how a small device still influences pretty big things...
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-29-17 at 03:45 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    04-29-17 02:27 PM
    I'll buy one more used 9900 on tomorrow as my current 9900 have some issues with volume/power buttons and mike

I will get around 15 mins time before I make my decision to buy or not

Can u pls give any tips that will be helpful to check phone condition in 15 mins
    Definately run the BUYR test to see how much useage it has

I would press every key and make sure the "clicks" are consistent and they spring back fully and not sticking.

Look at the condition of the battery and metal contact points, etc.

look for damage around the metal bezel and it might tell a story of it took a hard drop.

Are you getting it from a place that offers at least a month warrenty? like an electronics repair place?

04-30-17 03:28 AM
    Maybe somewhat off topic but fellow Bold fans might find entertainment if not directly relate...

BIG field project completed yesterday! Finally! 3 weeks (22 days) ahead of schedule and embarrassingly under budget. And hey, it's a bid job... Lol. Bonuses in store for the crew! At least partly thanks to the exquisite productivity of our tool choices. Assigning the right resource to the given task pays off. Including our brilliantly evolved 9930s!

We were packing up, loading equipment, tidying up documentation, etc in preparation to head home tomorrow. Client's rep approached me, along with my "competing colleague", asking to discuss if my crew could stay & help out our "competitor" struggling on the other side of the jobsite. Hmm...

I'd originally declined to bid on that portion knowing we just couldn't do both within allotted time. I had, however, recommended this very capable and conscientious former employee for that project. All week, my crew had been anticipating a celebration meal, final night, at a very good local BBQ spot. I invited Client and competitor to join us and discuss. Also invited competitor's crew to join us. A great bunch of folks. Turned into quite the merry evening. Unlike us, tho, they still had work to do tomorrow... Learned decades ago, hangovers last longer with age, ime. Lol.

Once seated and ordered we exchanged some project details including drawings, spreadsheets, etc. Which I promptly forwarded to a few of my crew seated at another table. One observation prompted a chuckle as I reminisced Ralph's thread, etc... Sauced up BabyBacks are NOT compatible with cell phones but particularly oversized two handed Samsungs! Lol. Throughout the meal, I exchanged messages, data, etc, etc, with management, coworkers, family & other clients, client's personnel and competitor's personnel. All in left hand without ever touching "old" 99 with my sauced up right hand!

After receiving and replying to several messages himself, my former employee turned competitor became exasperated with cleaning both sauced up hands AND his Samsung, and proclaimed: "I see you're still a damned machine, Steve...". HaHa rotflmao! Of course he knew I'd take it as a compliment. MY childhood heroes were John Wayne, Charles Kettering AND Mr Spock!! He couldn't have uttered a finer compliment!!

Finally assembled an estimate, shot it over to Client's Classic, seated across the table. He cleaned off enough fingers to operate kb & trackpad with a napkin covered thumb to pull it up and nodded affirmative. Myself and four volunteers will stay an extra couple weeks to assist "competitor" with a QC/QA niche service we're known for in our industry. A service we clobber our competitors with... Thanks to our 99s!

My former employee's newer management just can't accept that five year old BlackBerry's might do ANYthing better than newest Samsungs. Lol. They're about to be shown otherwise, we think... Should be interesting couple weeks. Lol.

For a second there I thought you meant to say your ex Employee MEANT to say "so you're still using that damned machine!?"

04-30-17 03:36 AM
    Back on Bold again, why did I ever leave? Stream music all day sometimes and see it counted in kilobytes! That's what keeps sending me back to my Bold is the data-sipping joy of using only the data it takes to get the job done. And those 'WTH' looks I get from people ; ). I know they're all really jealous, especially the brick-haulers.

While Yahoo isn't my main mail anymore, I do have it on the Bold as well as my favorite keyboard BB10s, which get it on wifi or when I switch the simcard to a BB10. So having multiple emails on BIS works fine (I only do two). Using IMAP keeps it simple for me as atnt and the simcard dont need to get involved. For those who dont know, you can delete each email from just the phone or from both the phone and the server.

And videos can work on the Bold when wanted, still work fine for me.
    04-30-17 04:05 AM
    Thank you, these tips are valuable!!

No, I'm buying from an individual who posted the add in on olx website.

It it works, fine. Else, gone case only

Definately run the BUYR test to see how much useage it has

I would press every key and make sure the "clicks" are consistent and they spring back fully and not sticking.

Look at the condition of the battery and metal contact points, etc.

look for damage around the metal bezel and it might tell a story of it took a hard drop.

Are you getting it from a place that offers at least a month warrenty? like an electronics repair place?

04-30-17 04:32 AM

Thank you for this nice case of Bold in great use. May I ask if you use any other messaging platform / app for such work, other than sms and BBM?

04-30-17 06:31 AM
    bought other 9900. checked everything and looks good. no issues at all. posting this message from same phone.

now my bb assets

1. q10
    2. 9900 -1
    3. 9900-2
    4. 9790 -1
    5. 9790-2

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-30-17 08:43 AM
    Thank you for this nice case of Bold in great use. May I ask if you use any other messaging platform / app for such work, other than sms and BBM?

Our Bolds are mostly sms/mms, BBM, pop/imap and voice. Observing KISS principal on 99 preserves critical communications simplicity. Minimizing confusion about which client might attempt initial contact over which platform.

Redundancy is also essential to 24/7 availability, tho. Dual (sometimes triple lol) carry permits easy enough access to other platforms, when needed. Clients quickly learn that sms, generally, provides fastest, and surest, initial response. Escalation to other stuff easily happens from there. When needed. Which is really not so often.

Of course a truly frantic client inevitably jumps to voice... Which demands keeping handset batteries charged up... lol

Last edited by idssteve; 04-30-17 at 09:01 AM.
    04-30-17 08:43 AM
    bought other 9900. checked everything and looks good. no issues at all. posting this message from same phone.

now my bb assets

1. q10
    2. 9900 -1
    3. 9900-2
    4. 9790 -1
    5. 9790-2

Yep. You're addicted... to operational efficiency! A GOOD addiction that, smartly leveraged, can eagerly collaborate, rather than compete, with good things elsewhere in life!
    04-30-17 09:31 AM
    For a second there I thought you meant to say your ex Employee MEANT to say "so you're still using that damned machine!?"

Haha... that "machine" has nearly grown into my left hand! Lol.

Those who know me have drawn parallels with "energizer bunny"... lol. This particular fellow had spent decades on Nuke powered USN "machines" that remain submerged and on the job 24/7 for months at a time.... including "mealtime". Lol.

Putting together a "mission creep" project expansion needed to happen right then and there. Just lodging planning itself was time critical, if nothing else. Also, I needed input from critical team members who's "fitness for duty" might be questionable, after washing down BBQ with a few mugs of brew... lol. Mealtime was THE time we had. 9900 is a WONDERFULLY single handed mealtime productivity "machine". Lol. Especially when one hand is sauced up with BBQ in a small mom&pop establishment with paper towel rolls at each seat. Lol.

One of my guys set him up with a 9900... his response after a few minutes back with it? ... "I sure MISS that thing!!"
    04-30-17 09:56 AM
    Back on Bold again, why did I ever leave? Stream music all day sometimes and see it counted in kilobytes! That's what keeps sending me back to my Bold is the data-sipping joy of using only the data it takes to get the job done. And those 'WTH' looks I get from people ; ). I know they're all really jealous, especially the brick-haulers.

While Yahoo isn't my main mail anymore, I do have it on the Bold as well as my favorite keyboard BB10s, which get it on wifi or when I switch the simcard to a BB10. So having multiple emails on BIS works fine (I only do two). Using IMAP keeps it simple for me as atnt and the simcard dont need to get involved. For those who dont know, you can delete each email from just the phone or from both the phone and the server.

And videos can work on the Bold when wanted, still work fine for me.
    Is your native Youtube App (shortcut really) still working good?

04-30-17 05:27 PM
    Haha... that "machine" has nearly grown into my left hand! Lol.

Those who know me have drawn parallels with "energizer bunny"... lol. This particular fellow had spent decades on Nuke powered USN "machines" that remain submerged and on the job 24/7 for months at a time.... including "mealtime". Lol.

Putting together a "mission creep" project expansion needed to happen right then and there. Just lodging planning itself was time critical, if nothing else. Also, I needed input from critical team members who's "fitness for duty" might be questionable, after washing down BBQ with a few mugs of brew... lol. Mealtime was THE time we had. 9900 is a WONDERFULLY single handed mealtime productivity "machine". Lol. Especially when one hand is sauced up with BBQ in a small mom&pop establishment with paper towel rolls at each seat. Lol.

One of my guys set him up with a 9900... his response after a few minutes back with it? ... "I sure MISS that thing!!"
    I always got longer life from Duracell personally, sorry Energizer Bunny

04-30-17 05:30 PM

Yep. Coppertops beat bunnies by a LOT!! Imo.
    04-30-17 06:32 PM

Yep. Coppertops beat bunnies by a LOT!! Imo.
    04-30-17 06:33 PM
    Is your native Youtube App (shortcut really) still working good?
    I actually just go to youtube from my browser.
    05-01-17 12:33 AM
    Thank you. I know I will miss whatsapp and fb messenger. But Im okay to miss them. No regrets.

Only issue to me is if I have to book cab or recharge mobile, I need to have an android. And I really dont want to carry two phones.

Yep. You're addicted... to operational efficiency! A GOOD addiction that, smartly leveraged, can eagerly collaborate, rather than compete, with good things elsewhere in life!

05-01-17 12:44 AM
    Thank you. I know I will miss whatsapp and fb messenger. But Im okay to miss them. No regrets.

Only issue to me is if I have to book cab or recharge mobile, I need to have an android. And I really dont want to carry two phones.

Hmm... yeah, dual carry isn't for everyone. I'll leave my oversized stuff behind and carry only compact 99 any chance I get. Carrying the oversized extras depends on expected need for a given day. Many times, what ever my oversized stuff does can wait till I get back to them. 99 takes care of real time critical communications till then. For me. Everyone's use case is unique, tho.

I'm unclear what you mean by "book cab or recharge mobile" ??
    I have no trouble booking cabs, lodging, dining, etc on 99 in most US cities... if that's what you mean?? And 99 is easiest mobile there is to recharge... ? I sense maybe I'm misinterpreting something?
    05-01-17 01:34 AM
    Our Bolds are mostly sms/mms, BBM, pop/imap and voice. Observing KISS principal on 99 preserves critical communications simplicity. Minimizing confusion about which client might attempt initial contact over which platform.

Redundancy is also essential to 24/7 availability, tho. Dual (sometimes triple lol) carry permits easy enough access to other platforms, when needed. Clients quickly learn that sms, generally, provides fastest, and surest, initial response. Escalation to other stuff easily happens from there. When needed. Which is really not so often.

Of course a truly frantic client inevitably jumps to voice... Which demands keeping handset batteries charged up... lol
    Alright then. I was wondering if I had missed out some other tool/app for messaging. And yes, KISS is how I would like to keep it.

My son Iphone had a sudden death so he's been using my spare Bold. Two days ago, he rushed in and excitingly announce that his data cost has been only a fraction of what he used to pay with the deceased phone. He's on facebook all the time and is using the web base version, among various other things that kids use their phone for. He is not even on a BIS plan. I guess I am not going to get that Bold back.

05-01-17 02:40 AM
8,754 ... 220221222223224 ...