I knew you could use an adapter w/ the Classic to provide HDMI. It was just always nice to have it built right into the Z10/Q10. I guess I should pick me up one of those adapters just in case. :-) Take care!

Steve, K4SQI
    Yep, Miracast works nicely from Classic, also, on surprisingly quite a few newer "smart TVs". I still favor 9900 thru Playbook for presentations, tho. 99's wireless bridge to PB let's me roam around the room to markerboards or to pass around props, etc. All while controlling cursor with 99's trackpad from pocket. AND, I like PlayBook's AR better than Classic/Passport 1:1.

Worst thing about PlayBook was its name, imo. Try explaining to questioning management why you're purchasing two dozen of something named "PLAY-book"... lol.
    03-24-17 10:32 AM
    No externally visible difference. Same usb port. Qi is a wireless inductive technology that charges thru the back cover. No physical contacts.

Pretty neat, since there's nothing to get dirty. Generates some heat, tho. Since you can't remove Classic, Passport or Z30 battery, it provides some charging redundancy. Essential enough to pay a little more for handsets that include it. Imo.
    Sounds like Blackberry should have mass focussed their energy into that technology years ago and they might have beat everyone to the wireless charging game.
    03-24-17 03:48 PM
    Sitting on a plane waiting to take off at the end of a two weeks trips. The sky is congested. The road is congested. It's a congested place.

Anyway, Event Sounds has been a pleasant new thing for this trip. I did not wait for the pod to arrive and it has still been great. On top of the nice sound notification when connect to charging and fully charge, the phone gives the same nice sounds when turning on and off. I have auto on-off set up for the night so when the phone turn off, I would know that it is time for bed.

Thanks Ralph. It was a great tip.

Posted from my  Passport
    It's pretty LOUD when the battery is low and turns red, so be aware if your bosses don't approve or you are in a meeting or something
    03-24-17 03:49 PM
    Hey, Steve -- I've found I also like the "fat back" battery cover. Do you use that cover with the JM1 battery as well as the heavy duty battery?

Sure, I could just _try_ it and see if the battery falls out of the socket, but my post count is closing in on 1,000...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-24-17 03:56 PM
    Hey, Steve -- I've found I also like the "fat back" battery cover. Do you use that cover with the JM1 battery as well as the heavy duty battery?

Sure, I could just _try_ it and see if the battery falls out of the socket, but my post count is closing in on 1,000...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yep, do it all the time. A little lighter that way. Battery stays put fine. Unless you drop the handset from scaffolding, then battery pops out pretty reliably either way... lol.

The Seidio cover doesn't have NFC antenna and doesn't provide thermal rejection of BB's OEM glass-matt cover but never a problem for me nor my coworkers. Several in my crew are equally convinced they type faster and more precisely with the extended cover. Especially for single handed out of position use.
    03-24-17 04:13 PM
    Yep, do it all the time. A little lighter that way. Battery stays put fine. Unless you drop the handset from scaffolding, then battery pops out pretty reliably either way... lol.
    Excellent! I think that's a practice I'm going to adapt (using the "fat back" cover -- not dropping the handset from scaffolding..!).

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    03-24-17 04:21 PM
    Sounds like Blackberry should have mass focussed their energy into that technology years ago and they might have beat everyone to the wireless charging game.
    They would have had a tough time being first to market. The Palm Pre had wireless charging in 2009. Sigh. Am I still allowed to hate HP?
    03-24-17 06:46 PM
    They would have had a tough time being first to market. The Palm Pre had wireless charging in 2009. Sigh. Am I still allowed to hate HP?
    I'm still getting over that they should have pursued the Liquid Keys twchnology.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-25-17 02:09 AM
    Ha! I'm still deciding if I'm madder at HP for discontinuing the 41 series, or for replacing it with lame & flawed products that do EVERYthing but work! Sound familiar? Lol.
    03-25-17 06:24 AM
    It's pretty LOUD when the battery is low and turns red, so be aware if your bosses don't approve or you are in a meeting or something
    Oh, I've never get to that low power during the past weeks but it's good to know. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks mate.

Posted from my  Passport
    03-25-17 07:25 AM
    Ha! I'm still deciding if I'm madder at HP for discontinuing the 41 series, or for replacing it with lame & flawed products that do EVERYthing but work! Sound familiar? Lol.
    Yes. Isn't that the way? So many good things get dropped.

The worst is Windows.

Microsoft sorely needs to release a Windows Classic version for business. I've run Linux at home and Windows at work for well over a decade, but I don't know what I'll do when my employer forces me to give up my Windows 7 laptop.

They bought me a surface tablet last year, and ... what an unholy, unfinished mess of tablet and desktop elements. How the heck did it ever get released with both Settings and Control Panel? Two sets of apps, neither of which works well if you change to the opposite mode? It's like they decided everyone would put up with this weird beta hybrid software while they finished it. I guess I'm working on the assumption that they will ever finish it.

/rant
    03-25-17 10:17 AM
    ...Microsoft sorely needs to release a Windows Classic version for business.
    My company still uses Windows 7 Pro. Windows 10 is littered with privacy holes as well being wildly dysfunctional for anything other than screwing around and self-entertaining.

The Android of the PC world.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-25-17 11:05 AM
    Here's a list of some of the apps I've been using the last few weeks on my 9900:

Cloud Explorer for OneDrive/Google Drive
    VNC
    Forseti RDP Windows Client
    BBSSH/Rove Mobile SSH
    Tapatalk
    Google Authenticator for all my 2FA accounts
    Mobipocket/Kindle App for E-Books
    PodTrapper
    WhatsApp
    Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn apps
    iSilo
    eWallet sync'ed to my desktop
    KeePass
    PhotoStudio Pro
    BBM of course!
    Police Radio Scanner
    TuneIn Radio Pro
    AT&T Navigator
    eBay

Steve, K4SQI
    Steve, I've added these apps to the working apps list, except the following four:

• BBSSH/Rove Mobile SSH
    • iSilo
    • KeePass
    • Police Radio Scanner

I either can't locate BB OS versions (which might mean they're geo-restricted and I'm being blocked from seeing them) or can't tell which version you mean. If you could send me links to the apps in BB World, or to the OTA sources, I'd appreciate it!
    03-25-17 02:09 PM
    Shus that Police Scanner app, can you show a pic of which one it is and also does it have any cities in Saskatchewan like Saskatoon or Yorkton??

03-25-17 04:32 PM
    I guess the next time someone calls our devices obsolete with a slow browser they can take a look at this thread .....

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que.../#post12752682

I'm thinking it is better to swap out batteries, it clears out all the slowdown bulk. Even on my iPhone I have slowdowns (not often though) and I have to do a hard reboot as well as using Battery Doctor to keep the memory free, but it is so much easier for most people just to pull the battery and swap it out when it is low.....

In this regard I think we should consider ourselves lucky and relatively stress free. If I have some issues on an older device I could live with it, I'm not so sure I could with a new device.
    03-25-17 05:08 PM
    Shus that Police Scanner app, can you show a pic of which one it is and also does it have any cities in Saskatchewan like Saskatoon or Yorkton??

No, because I don't know which one he meant!
    03-25-17 06:06 PM

Hey Ralph,
    Here's the app from the market place. I pulled up Saskatchewan in the app & the only thing it lists is "Moose Jaw Fire Dept." There's nothing else listed in the Saskatchewan area in Canada. Here's the url for it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

I can say for here in NC it's got quite a full listing that works. I use Scanner Radio Pro on Android/BB10 & it's listings are just as full as it. Hope that helps. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    03-25-17 06:06 PM
    Steve, I've added these apps to the working apps list, except the following four:

• BBSSH/Rove Mobile SSH
    • iSilo
    • KeePass
    • Police Radio Scanner

I either can't locate BB OS versions (which might mean they're geo-restricted and I'm being blocked from seeing them) or can't tell which version you mean. If you could send me links to the apps in BB World, or to the OTA sources, I'd appreciate it!
    I can post a listing for these later this evening. But from the top of my head, I downloaded iSilo from the website. They have 2 different versions. Here's the links for them:

iSilo™ for BlackBerry
    iSilo™ for BlackBerry Touch

The second link is for the Storm/Torch version of the app. I've purchased iSilo for every platform I use/have used. But when it comes to the BBOS version, the link the developer provides doesn't work. So, I'll leave it to your imagination how to get a serial. :-)

KeyPassBB2 is what I have installed on my 9900. You can grab it here:
    KeePassBB(2) Download Mirror - KeePass
    Just FYI, you have to use an older version of the desktop software to be able to transfer the database over to the BB device you are using. You need 2.0.17 on the desktop. The latest is 2.35. I exported the info from 2.3x to a text file & re-imported into the 2.x.17 version. Made sure everything was correct before transfering the database file over to my SD card in my 9900. The app works fine then.

Forgot to add Trillian to the list of working apps also. It's 0.99 in the BBW. See my previous post mentioning how I worked around creating a new account. :-) Later I can re-post it if needed.

I'll have to research where I got the BBSSH 2.1 Beta I found. It took a while since the developer website isn't current any longer. I'll post that later this evening. The Rove Mobile SSH client 4.5 version is the last version made. It was released FREE. I found in the BlackBerryRC site if I remember correctly. But I'll post the link for it later as well. See my post to Ralph about the Police Scanner Radio app. It came from BBW. :-) Hope that helps. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    Last edited by kb7sqi; 03-25-17 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added Trillian to the list
    anon(8063781) and idssteve like this.
    03-25-17 06:20 PM
    I guess the next time someone calls our devices obsolete with a slow browser they can take a look at this thread .....

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que.../#post12752682

I'm thinking it is better to swap out batteries, it clears out all the slowdown bulk. Even on my iPhone I have slowdowns (not often though) and I have to do a hard reboot as well as using Battery Doctor to keep the memory free, but it is so much easier for most people just to pull the battery and swap it out when it is low.....

In this regard I think we should consider ourselves lucky and relatively stress free. If I have some issues on an older device I could live with it, I'm not so sure I could with a new device.
    LOL. No device is perfect. I used to thrive on having the latest & greatest devices for years. Back in the Palm days, I had every Palm, Treo, LifeDrive, etc device made. Psions, Sharp Zaurus's, etc. Same way w/ Android for years, etc, etc. Finally I decided I was tired of wasting so much $$$ on a phones constantly. So here I am enjoying my 9900. :-) I did receive my awesome case & desktop charging cradle today though. My spare 9900 is sitting in it keeping charged as I type this. LOL. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    03-25-17 06:26 PM
    Hey Ralph,
    Here's the app from the market place. I pulled up Saskatchewan in the app & the only thing it lists is "Moose Jaw Fire Dept." There's nothing else listed in the Saskatchewan area in Canada. Here's the url for it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

I can say for here in NC it's got quite a full listing that works. I use Scanner Radio Pro on Android/BB10 & it's listings are just as full as it. Hope that helps. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    Ah ya thanks, I tried a couple and I have no idea why Moose Jaw is available when it is not even a major city here.

03-25-17 11:36 PM
    LOL. No device is perfect. I used to thrive on having the latest & greatest devices for years. Back in the Palm days, I had every Palm, Treo, LifeDrive, etc device made. Psions, Sharp Zaurus's, etc. Same way w/ Android for years, etc, etc. Finally I decided I was tired of wasting so much $$$ on a phones constantly. So here I am enjoying my 9900. :-) I did receive my awesome case & desktop charging cradle today though. My spare 9900 is sitting in it keeping charged as I type this. LOL. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    Awesome and yeah EVENT SOUNDS is REALLY a must when using the pod charger because it is a pain to look at the teeny tiny battery gauge in the top right corner to actually know that is is charging and sitting properly or not.

I still cannot believe you spelled "Saskatchewan" correctly

David Tyler likes this.
    03-25-17 11:42 PM
    Awesome and yeah EVENT SOUNDS is REALLY a must when using the pod charger because it is a pain to look at the teeny tiny battery gauge in the top right corner to actually know that is is charging and sitting properly or not.
    I have my 9900 set up so that the digital clock displays as soon as it drops into charge position, therefore I haven't found it necessary to use the event sound - just an alternative approach.

That large flip digital clock is one of the things I really like about my 9900. I find that 'always on' mode really useful as the Bold sits on my desk at work, enabling a cursory glance to easily check the time and/or date, and also ensuring my 9900 is well charged when I need to grab & go
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 03-27-17 at 05:37 AM. Reason: correction of typo errors
    03-26-17 03:59 AM
    I have my 9900 set up so that the digital clock displays as soon as it drops into charge position, therefore I haven't found it necessary to use the event sound - just an alternative approach.

That large flip digital clock is one of the things I really like about my 9900. I find that 'always one' mode really useful as the Bold sits on my desk at work, enabling a cursory glance to easily check the time and/or date, and also ensuring my 9900 is well charged when I need to grab & go
    Excellent advice! Although for me personally I found the clock too bright when trying to sleep because I had it facing me on my nightstand.

Has anyone actually ever had a screen failure or burnt out an LCD screen because of overuse?
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-26-17 04:22 AM
    Excellent advice! Although for me personally I found the clock too bright when trying to sleep because I had it facing me on my nightstand.
    The clock should dim (a little) if you put it in beside mode, which I do to automate turning off notifications. I sleep bad enough as it is without my 9900 letting me know what's going elsewhere in the world
    I agree however that the LCD clock remains bright and could intrude with sleep.
    My peculiar approach -- I don't use the dock on my beside table, preferring to plug in a micro USB cable, then I position my BB OEM wallet over the top of the 9900 allowing the in built magnet to turn off the display. It's easy enough the move the wallet should if I need to check time in the middle of the night, but it keeps the display light off my face while I'm sleeping.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 03-26-17 at 08:04 AM.
    03-26-17 07:30 AM
    hi all

im getting "this connection could not be verified" while browsing some websites due to expired certificates

may I know what can I do to fix this error?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    03-26-17 07:58 AM
8,754 ... 207208209210211 ...