Like anything, opinions are subjective. Until you quantify performance comparisons, at least. I've only tried 9790 briefly so can't offer valid comparison. I do know that there's no way I'd ever call my Passport a "comfortable single handed option". Some folks don't mind tying up both hands countless times per day. I never feel there are enough minutes in a day to occupy both hands simply communicating. Unless I'm doing semaphore. Lol.

Below's a photo of my ugly mit and the thumbnail easily reaching the far "enter" key on old 9930. The toughest reach, on my Classic. That nail's not crazy long but trimmed to protrude just enough to press the far side of the sculptured ridge while thumb flesh contacts near side of the key's ridge, providing essential tactile feedback. The key's ridge fits between thumb nail and flesh... if that makes sense.

My thumb is never truly lifted from contacting the keyboard (note paint wear lol) which means the ONLY vertical movement is that required to press the physical key. About 0.012", by my rough measurements. Also, our hands evolved with strongest muscles for thumb squeeze.

Virtual keyboads, in contrast, force me to lift thumb higher above the screen than any vertical displacement of 9900 pkb. It's just too easy to touch the wrong thing while reaching across a too large virtual screen device. Imo. Lifting the thumb that way involves far weaker muscles. My thumb literally shook with fatigue by the end of a hard day with all touch Z10, for example.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170317_104152.jpg  
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-17-17 at 11:31 AM.
    03-17-17 11:18 AM
    I'm thinking I just have tolearn to keep the lower fingers closer together and that might help a lot.
    Below's a photo showing my ugly mit (again. Lol) grasping extended battery cover. Fingers pretty close there. I really believe the 9900 is even more comfortable to grasp with extended battery. Never liked, nor understood, the fad toward thin, imo.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-grasp.jpg  
    03-17-17 12:15 PM
    Below's a photo showing my ugly mit (again. Lol) grasping extended battery cover. Fingers pretty close there. I really believe the 9900 is even more comfortable to grasp with extended battery. Never liked, nor understood, the fad toward thin, imo.
    You seems to have quite a big hand, just like me! You must retry a passport the original version SQW100-1... it will be your next love.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 12:34 PM
    Yep, got one. I'm out on a jobsite where ATT is a dim memory, tho... Lol. Would really like a VZW Passport! Lol.

Passport's a great device. THE flagship of BB10. As 9900 still represents THE flagship of BBOS. Spec wise and production duration, at least. Different tools for different tasks. When in ATT area, I carry PP on days when expecting PDF use, for example. But my left hand can crank out 5 sms replies on 9900 in the time my right hand gets a single one sent on PP, tho. Classic's at least a 1:2 ratio for me. Fwiw.

Not saying PP isn't a great tool for specific uses. Just not optimized as well as 9900 for my brain on sms, etc. Sort of like my F350 pickup is a far better tool for hauling a ton of lumber than my Porsche. Yet, my Porsche is first choice for driving to the office. Different tools optimized for different tasks.
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-17-17 12:58 PM
    I've got you.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 01:14 PM
    Mean I've got your point

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-17-17 01:15 PM
    Never liked, nor understood, the fad toward thin, imo.
    Please tell that to what's his name in Apple brass, will you? :-)
    03-17-17 01:36 PM
    Please tell that to what's his name in Apple brass, will you? :-)
    Haha... If Steve Jobs calls tonight, I WILL worry! Lol. Can't blame Apple for providing what Apple users want. I DO blame BB for refusing to provide what BB users want. Who, among BB users, were clamoring for "thin"??

Thin might be OK for VKB handsets where zero force generates an input. PKB, however, requires some minimal force to click the keys. That force must be met with "equal and opposite" counter from fingers on back side of handset. Too thin of device means edge support only. Thicker handset, properly contoured, permits more of curving finger surface to back up and stabilize handset during typing. I type measurably faster, and more precisely, with the extended battery cover fitted on my 9900. Enough so that I frequently leave the extended cover on even when using OEM JM1s.

I personally think BB got so caught up in chasing Apple that they forgot too much of what their decades of experience had taught them. That would've been ok if it had worked and Apple users came running to BB. It didn't. Apple users just weren't interested in any "sorta Apple" compromises. Traditional BB users weren't eagerly excited to purchase "sorta BlackBerry" compromises, also. Such is too frequently the plight of compromised solutions.

Sort of like Triumph/BSA's Trident/Rocket3 response to the "revolutionary" Honda four. Three cylinders were popularly perceived as a compromised solution. SOME of us cried for a modern uncompromisingly British Square Four variant that Turner, Hopwood and Page cut their engineering teeth on in their Ariel days. Properly done, that uncomprisingly British configuration stood a slim chance of surviving Honda, imo. Maybe. Lol. We see how the compromised solution turned out. Such is too frequently the plight of compromised solutions.
    Lol.

Hoping that Jobs NEVER calls but pretty safe bet Chen won't be asking MY opinion either. Lol.
    03-17-17 03:23 PM
    I would like to try symbian and webOS someday. Just to see what the fuss is all about. But they have to be 3g, as 2g functionality is dropping everywhere.

Was Brew any good?
    Be warned, there is Symbian and then there is Symbian. I had a couple of Sony Ericsson phones, they ran on Symbian UIQ, which I thought was great. Latest one was a SE G900 and it works on "3G" I believe. Very happy with it, would probably be still running it if my new carrier supported it. I did not know what the complaints about Symbian were all about until I had a "forced" upgrade to a Nokia with Symbian S40. That experience is burned in my memory and competes with Windows Mobile 6 as the worst mobile experiences ever. It drove me to try my first BlackBerry...

I had a BREW phone before, it is what it is. Handles calls & text and that's about it. No complaints about it considering what it was meant to do.

Mind you, I pulled them all out a few months ago to have a go and they felt incredibly slow, to the point of being unusable, even for basic stuff like navigating around the menu, looking at photos & playing music. Hard to imagine I was ever happy with that at one point! Spoiled by the incredible speed of my Bold! :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-17-17 03:50 PM
    Lots of blackberry stuff for sale locally here… I can't believe I got a VM 605 for five dollars and now look how much this guy wants…9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489792613.301874.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489792625.966925.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489792636.772697.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489792649.243580.jpg
    03-17-17 06:17 PM
    Oh and by the way does anyone know if they still make the VM 605's or are they discontinued?
    03-17-17 06:18 PM
    Be warned, there is Symbian and then there is Symbian. I had a couple of Sony Ericsson phones, they ran on Symbian UIQ, which I thought was great. Latest one was a SE G900 and it works on "3G" I believe. Very happy with it, would probably be still running it if my new carrier supported it. I did not know what the complaints about Symbian were all about until I had a "forced" upgrade to a Nokia with Symbian S40. That experience is burned in my memory and competes with Windows Mobile 6 as the worst mobile experiences ever. It drove me to try my first BlackBerry...

I had a BREW phone before, it is what it is. Handles calls & text and that's about it. No complaints about it considering what it was meant to do.

Mind you, I pulled them all out a few months ago to have a go and they felt incredibly slow, to the point of being unusable, even for basic stuff like navigating around the menu, looking at photos & playing music. Hard to imagine I was ever happy with that at one point! Spoiled by the incredible speed of my Bold! :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I hear the Nokia e71/e71x/e73 were great symbian phones. Probably the flagships of the symbian os of the day.

My bold has spoiled me, too. I can barely stand my android phone in comparison to the old Bold. That's saying something. That said, I just made an impulse buy and purchased any old pantech running ancient android. Should arrive soon. I'm curious to see how it runs on 3g/4g.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-17-17 06:29 PM
    Lots of blackberry stuff for sale locally here… I can't believe I got a VM 605 for five dollars and now look how much this guy wants…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489792613.301874.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	419624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489792625.966925.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	419625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489792636.772697.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	419626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489792649.243580.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	419627
    Hahaha the Bolds are selling for more then the Z10's !!
    Wasn't someone around here saying something about the older stuff being better than the newer stuff ?!
    Wink , wink , nudge , nudge !!
    03-17-17 06:56 PM
    Wasn't someone around here saying something about the older stuff being better than the newer stuff ?!
    Sometimes it is true.... but I don't thing old phone devices are so great it not like old watch or 1960 to 1995 Mercedes neither.
    Product are made differently in time always for some reasons.. the point is to find product that were made to meet some goalsthat is suitable for us at reasonable price .

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 08:22 PM
    In add: the phone payment's era is just start. In some city in the world is the only way to pay in alternate with paypass card. This just an exemple to say that phone device have now replace many old fashion way to do and for some people are now there main device out of the office and out of home.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 08:45 PM
    In add: the phone payment's era is just start. In some city in the world is the only way to pay in alternate with paypass card. This just an exemple to say that phone device have now replace many old fashion way to do and for some people are now there main device out of the office and out of home.
    Old (Legacy) device does not immediately equal to old fashion. If you lurk around here long enough, you will find that people know very well how to use each device, and many 9900 holdouts also use "newer" phones to supplement what's lacking in 9900. People are not using 99xx for any nostalgic or sentimental reasons. 99xx has certain attraction to certain kind of people who make the best use of the phone. So, I do not agree with the sweeping statement that old phone is obsolete (yes, some parts are becoming obsolete).

For example, if the whole purpose is phone call and perhaps rudimental texting, my favourite is Startac with its true palm size (tossing it around from pocket to pocket, and removable "external" battery on the back of the phone :-). I like the idea of external replaceable battery. What a novel idea! But it's not what is called smartphone.

BTW, Somebody recently uploaded a photo of 9900 that appeared to have buckled in half. The first thing came to my mind was that 9900 could be a novel flip phone, LOL. Oh, I sidetracked myself again.
    Anyway, 99xx phones are very efficient in some applications but I do not think anybody here is relying on 99xx for fast browsing, banking, NFC payment or even photo taking. They are done by another phone.
    03-17-17 09:07 PM
    Old (Legacy) device does not immediately equal to old fashion. If you lurk around here long enough, you will find that people know very well how to use each device, and many 9900 holdouts also use "newer" phones to supplement what's lacking in 9900. People are not using 99xx for any nostalgic or sentimental reasons. 99xx has certain attraction to certain kind of people who make the best use of the phone. So, I do not agree with the sweeping statement that old phone is obsolete (yes, some parts are becoming obsolete).

For example, if the whole purpose is phone call and perhaps rudimental texting, my favourite is Startac with its true palm size (tossing it around from pocket to pocket, and removable "external" battery on the back of the phone :-). I like the idea of external replaceable battery. What a novel idea! But it's not what is called smartphone.

BTW, Somebody recently uploaded a photo of 9900 that appeared to have buckled in half. The first thing came to my mind was that 9900 could be a novel flip phone, LOL. Oh, I sidetracked myself again.
    Anyway, 99xx phones are very efficient in some applications but I do not think anybody here is relying on 99xx for fast browsing, banking, NFC payment or even photo taking. They are done by another phone.
    I'm sure most of member knows but everybody have step-brother that he's just don't get it, sort of techno -survivalist.
    Let me do an analogy from my main device to mecanical'tools: when I go to my do-it-yourself garage I prefer have to manage less stuff( less trays, less boxes...) a lot of job can be do with a good rochet kit instead of a full storage of separed keys.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 09:26 PM
    I'm sure most of member knows but everybody have step-brother that he's just don't get it, sort of techno -survivalist.
    Let me do an analogy from my main device to mecanical'tools: when I go to my do-it-yourself garage I prefer have to manage less stuff( less trays, less boxes...) a lot of job can be do with a good rochet kit instead of a full storage of separed keys.
    Not quite the same as your analogy. We all want a do-it-all device. And in many ways, just one device, be it iPhone, Samsung or BB Passport, or you name it, would be just fine. They are all capable phones. In my case, there is nothing my iPhone 6s cannot do what the Bold 9900 can do, and I do not NEED the 9900 as my tool. But there are certain things that the 9900 does better than my iPhone 6s in my opinion, and when carrying 2 phones does not bother me a bit, I rather use 2 phones for each specific purpose. But again, each to his/her own, and people think differently for different things :-)
    03-17-17 09:37 PM
    ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 09:46 PM
    You sidetracked me too. Your post made me think of the BlackBerry Style (http://m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_style_9670-3326.php)
    03-17-17 09:53 PM
    How are you guys getting by with battery life?

I have two batteries with me and they don't last a full work day.

Any tips?
    03-17-17 10:05 PM
    LOL yeah totally I know I never even noticed until now.

But the 9900 is such a solid device, it oozes quality and drips it all over your hands and onto the floor! I had other phones that creek when you twist them a little or battery doors that are loose or a creaky keyboards, but the 9900 is just pleasing to use and they usually stay as tight as the day they're made.
    03-17-17 10:35 PM

Any tips?
    I get 6 to 8 hours of continuous nonstop heavy heavy Twitter and Facebook use messaging photos whatever. I get in around 10 to 11 hours maybe if the phone is not used much. I have three batteries so I don't mind swapping out and putting one on my wall charger, and the wall charger takes about five hours to charge it fully. Not an inconvenience at all or in any way.

I keep my factory screen dim brightness Setting a 10% and I find that even bright enough for being outside in the sun. I find it way too bright in the evenings if I'm on the couch watching a movie with the lights dim I get blinded by even 10% so what I did was I got a screen dim app from the App Store, and it really saves the day. You can go much lower than the 10% lowest factory setting and you can go till it's almost completely black screen. Here is what the app looks like. I actually did a video showing how it works I wonder if I could find it on YouTube. App is right under Twitter.9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489808757.692067.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489808834.287727.jpg

I think keeping the screen dim helps the battery quite a bit
    03-17-17 10:47 PM

Any tips?
    I never get below 75% when using the Bold 9900, but I don't have BIS. So all I have is phone, text, and regular internet. Most of the time my usage involves a couple of texts and a few hours of podcasts while driving.

How strong is your cell connection through the day? My Pre3 can only connect with my carrier on a single band (1900 MHz UMTS) and some days I experience severe battery drain if the signal is weak.
    03-17-17 10:48 PM

You mean when I posted this picture? That's not a 9900 my friend I would say that something like a 9300.

But I think we have different definitions of what a smart phone is. Even the box on my 9780 from six years ago said BlackBerry smart phone right on it. I would definitely classify any device that can do email and browse the Internet as well as apps a smart phone. Of course smart phones got smarter but I do think it was still a smart phone especially in the 9900 days.

I also have a completely different view about nostalgia. I think nostalgia does sell. Look at the dodge challenger that looks like a 1970 Dodge challenger or a new Volkswagen beetle it looks like the 1965 beetle or a brand-new Ford Mustang that looks like the early 70s mustangs. These things are HUGE sellers and they look like the old cars. I think that people like newer things that are designed to be retro because They have fond memories of those things. But of course it also helps when it's functional ;-)

That new Nokia phone coming out that looks exactly like the model almost from the year 2000. I predict it's going to be a huge seller because it's very retro and the price is very attractive at only $50 US. Nostalgia sells my friend.

.9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489809265.056829.jpg
    03-17-17 10:56 PM
8,754 ... 202203204205206 ...