Yep, iPhone is too tall for first finger to reach the top. Clasp between first finger on top and fourth on bottom is what provides all position grasp on 99. Lay on back and type a message with each device held overhead... Lol.
    I have a cheap Barska red dot 30mm scope on my 12ga, if that is also what you are referring to? Certainly it is MUCH easier to have a single "dot" than lining up a front and rear sight.

Haha even when holding the 9900 when walking I place the finger on top for stability, and ESPECIALLY when laying down or it would be in my face!

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-16-17 05:31 PM
    I'm thinking I just have tolearn to keep the lower fingers closer together and that might help a lot.
    03-16-17 05:35 PM
    I have a cheap Barska red dot 30mm scope on my 12ga, if that is also what you are referring to? Certainly it is MUCH easier to have a single "dot" than lining up a front and rear sight.

Haha even when holding the 9900 when walking I place the finger on top for stability, and ESPECIALLY when laying down or it would be in my face!

Typical "see thru" Red dot sights are fast & fun & don't occlude forward view. Armson OEG, tho, is occluded so it can't be seen thru. All you see with right eye is a red dot with black all around it. Target is acquired with left eye and mind superimposes dot onto target... Definitely a "both eyes open" configuration. BUT, only one eye is acquiring forward view. Fast & fun against paper but too limited view of targets that might bite, scratch or shoot back, imo. Lol. No batteries needed tho, thanks to tritium reticle. Definitely exercises unique portions of brain. I brought it up because I sensed similar "brain strain" during my 9 months on touch.

Ever try iPhone while laying down?
    03-16-17 06:19 PM
    The Bold 9900 is a masterpiece of ergonomic design, which is why its such a pleasure to type on that smiling keyboard
    +1000! Smiling KB nicely accommodates natural thumb articulation as it arcs from side to side. Earlier configurations wore a frown but then RIM learned smile was better. BB applied SO many years of hard won experience into 9900.
    03-16-17 06:34 PM
    Typical "see thru" Red dot sights are fast & fun & don't occlude forward view. Armson OEG, tho, is occluded so it can't be seen thru. All you see with right eye is a red dot with black all around it. Target is acquired with left eye and mind superimposes dot onto target... Definitely a "both eyes open" configuration. BUT, only one eye is acquiring forward view. Fast & fun against paper but too limited view of targets that might bite, scratch or shoot back, imo. Lol. No batteries needed tho, thanks to tritium reticle. Definitely exercises unique portions of brain. I brought it up because I sensed similar "brain strain" during my 9 months on touch.

Ever try iPhone while laying down?
    Ok I looked up that Armson OEG and I have never seen anything like that before. At first I thought maybe you meant a projected red dot like a laser but it is not a red dot in that regard. I know about the Trijicon the military uses and how it does not need batteries, etc. But the fact you need both eyes open for that to function is news to me.

When you said "occlude foreword" I thought you were referring to some sort of telescopic system used to magnify but this does not look like the case either. I think you were referring to a blockage of the site picture. This is still puzzling and I would have to do for the reading on that type of technology. I did however try to read and learn as much as I could on the holographic red dot technology.

I made a video in 2013 showing the view through my holographic red dot (with my white 9780) and I would like to email it to you so you can see what mine is about, so let me know if that is possible. It is actually a very good review of the new toy I got haha, 8 minutes long and I also showed something very strange that happened the day before with faulty ammo. It probably wouldn't be good to post it here, although I wish I could.

No as for how I hold the iPhone laying down I noticed something very interesting. My right forefinger is straight up along side the iPhone and my pinky finger is still under the iPhone cradling and supporting the weight of it but since the weight is right over my face, the second finger beside my pinky seems to be the one fighting gravity to keep it from falling into my nose. The 9900 as you say is much shorter and stubbier and I can wrap my forefinger right around the top but that certainly is not the case with the long thin iPhone. But this is holding it one-handed and I generally never like to type one-handed, I just feel like it slows me down, I am much faster with two thumbs so when I hold with two hands and both of my fore fingers are straight up in the air supporting the sides of the device up high and usually only my right pinky finger is solely supporting the weight of the device. I'll take a picture later when I switch to my BlackBerry.
    03-16-17 08:22 PM
    Oh and Steve check your inbox in here, I hope the link works
    03-16-17 08:24 PM
    One handed laying down hold.

One thing for sure is there is no lack of finger prints on this thing. Thats ANOTHER advantage for the PKB design!!!

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    03-16-17 08:43 PM
    When you really wish your iphone was a Blackberry

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    03-16-17 08:50 PM
    When you really wish your iphone was a Blackberry
    I've been using iPhones since it's inception, but I had a chance encounter with a Blackberry, and found its usefulness. since then (tail end of 9780), 9900 is my daily driver. At the time, I never thought I would use any other phones, let alone "Blackberry" of all brands :-).

Anyway, I am one of those people who are comfortable with and actually faster and more accurate with touch screen typing. I am sure many people swear by PKB, and I believe it. In my case, it is strictly a matter of getting used to VKB. I am faster skating on VKB because I have a sort of muscle memory on the slab just like you guys have on PKB. I am actually try to practice PKB more, so that I do not have to rely on my iPhone. I watched a YouTube wherein a young lady was magically fast on touch screen typing. Even though it was a special case, theoretically, the touch typing, if and when you mastered it, eliminates the "push" motion that will probably help in fast typing "once you become proficient" in it. But my appreciation of PKB is about keyboard shortcuts and a kind of "programmable" nature of the PKB. To call up apps or dig deeper into function.menu system, you can't beat the 9900's keyboard and tool belt. You do not have to search apps, touch and touch here and there like on touch screen phones in order to get to what you want. I really love it. 9900's menu system is an old school hierarchical system, but come to think of it, it is packing a lot of functions in it. iPhone's 3D touch is nowhere near 9900 menu system in which decades of user experiences are packed in. Too bad, BB threw it away in BB10 in their futile effort to catch up and emulate iPhones and Androids.
    9900 alone is certainly an inadequate device (browser, truncation and all that) but most people here uses another phone to complement it, the best of both worlds. So, the usual criticism coming from some other brigades do not bother me a bit.

By the way, I lurk this forum every single day, and always learn some thing. When I was recently lurking on one of the heresy sites, I bumped into Ralph, who sent me back here again :-)
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    03-16-17 10:12 PM
    +1000 for PKB shortcuts!! Also PKB phone speed dials!! A giant part of the BlackBerry PKB experience. I set "p" as speed dial for the most commonly called number. "P" being easily found by feel. Sight unseen. The little "teet" on "5" is also readily found.
    03-16-17 10:44 PM
    I've been using iPhones since it's inception, but I had a chance encounter with a Blackberry, and found its usefulness. since then (tail end of 9780), 9900 is my daily driver. At the time, I never thought I would use any other phones, let alone "Blackberry" of all brands :-).................

By the way, I lurk this forum every single day, and always learn some thing. When I was recently lurking on one of the heresy sites, I bumped into Ralph, who sent me back here again :-)
    Honnestly,The only things we regret from older OS than BB10 was the desktop setting program abilities, nothing about devices abilities.

You have to try a passport, or a Priv or a KEYone before one these
    OS will be out.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 01:05 AM
    I would like to try symbian and webOS someday. Just to see what the fuss is all about. But they have to be 3g, as 2g functionality is dropping everywhere.

Was Brew any good?

I'm still awaiting a GOOD sailfish os phone. Must plan ahead for the day when my 9930 and passport finally become obsolete for current networks.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-17-17 01:47 AM
    I've been using iPhones since it's inception, but I had a chance encounter with a Blackberry, and found its usefulness. since then (tail end of 9780), 9900 is my daily driver. At the time, I never thought I would use any other phones, let alone "Blackberry" of all brands :-).

Anyway, I am one of those people who are comfortable with and actually faster and more accurate with touch screen typing. I am sure many people swear by PKB, and I believe it. In my case, it is strictly a matter of getting used to VKB. I am faster skating on VKB because I have a sort of muscle memory on the slab just like you guys have on PKB. I am actually try to practice PKB more, so that I do not have to rely on my iPhone. I watched a YouTube wherein a young lady was magically fast on touch screen typing. Even though it was a special case, theoretically, the touch typing, if and when you mastered it, eliminates the "push" motion that will probably help in fast typing "once you become proficient" in it. But my appreciation of PKB is about keyboard shortcuts and a kind of "programmable" nature of the PKB. To call up apps or dig deeper into function.menu system, you can't beat the 9900's keyboard and tool belt. You do not have to search apps, touch and touch here and there like on touch screen phones in order to get to what you want. I really love it. 9900's menu system is an old school hierarchical system, but come to think of it, it is packing a lot of functions in it. iPhone's 3D touch is nowhere near 9900 menu system in which decades of user experiences are packed in. Too bad, BB threw it away in BB10 in their futile effort to catch up and emulate iPhones and Androids.
    9900 alone is certainly an inadequate device (browser, truncation and all that) but most people here uses another phone to complement it, the best of both worlds. So, the usual criticism coming from some other brigades do not bother me a bit.

I ran into someone in the imore forum, was that you? Either way good to hear from ya!

You definately have more mad skills than me.

I have NEVER got used to the iphone and in fact my friend was here tonite and I had to respond to something in a messenger and because I was distracted doing other things, I could not give the typing my FULL attention and it took me THREE attempts to get my short message right! I remember saying "now if only I had this app on my BLackberry!"

I have used iphone since Feb. 2014 and I have to say that it has been a great experience EXCEPT the typing frustration and that is a very important part of any smartphone. If I didn't need some of the apps I use to messege, sell stuff, blog and photo edit I would throw the iphone against the wall and feel a lot better So I use both but I do not like carrying 2 devices, but I have on occasion.

For the first time last week I tried a custom keyboard app that was recommended for the iphone from Apple itself and another tech site I read, the app is called TouchPal and you can select different KB's with colours, clicky sounds etc and even with bigger keys I still could not get used to it. It's like I hit my limit for what I can do on a VKB and I have never been happy about that aspect of it.

I am never getting rid of the 9900 even though I could trade it right now and get an iphone 7 4.7 inch with a KB that is about as wide as the 9900 and MIGHT aid in my typing frustration on VKB's but I won't hold my breath. I guess time will tell this fall, but I will be trading my iphone 5C if I do it. There likely will not be the ios 11 update for the 5C with 32 bit, but all the new 64 bit devices from the 5S and up should be ok.

It's funny how I do not want an iphone that cannot be updated but I have no problem keeping a Blackberry around that has had no OS updates for years! The only explanation I can think of has to be the design of the 9900, that amazing KB and the complete satisfaction of having a stress free typing experience.....

03-17-17 01:53 AM
    Honnestly,The only things we regret from older OS than BB10 was the desktop setting program abilities, nothing about devices abilities.

You have to try a passport, or a Priv or a KEYone before one these
    Hahaha, thank you kindly.

But my choice of the 9900 (of all other blackberry devices including new ones :-) goes much deeper than what BB10 attempted to provide us and failed. It's rather short demise speaks loudly. I have absolutely no intention to argue about the potential of BB10, and I am sure the list of device you listed are worth trying (some are Android devices). I tried early on Q10, Z10 and Z30 etc., and I know what they (and Android) attempted to offer. I was actually very looking forward to BB10 when it was being hyped up, but when it came out and I had it, I threw it away like a plague. It was not a Blackberry I appreciated. It's hard to describe why there are so many die-hard legacy holdouts out there, but "we" all know why. It's been explained to death and I have no reason o repeat it. The fact that I, as a default Apple user (6s now), and incurable gadget freak, am cherishing the old, and yes, obsolete 9900 should tell you something. You can understand this lunacy only when you use smartphone, any one for that matter, to appreciate its core functionality, do you begin to understand our seemingly madness of still cherishing the Bold, which is literally the last dying legacy of what was making a Blackberry a Blackberry.

So, no, I am not attracted to Passport or Priv etc. With due respect for those who use those devices, and there are many who use them even among those who frequent this particular forum. Literally each to his/her own. And as I said, many of us here are fully aware that the legacy devices are indeed legacy and old, and it's so obvious. But there are reasons why people still use them, and my understanding is that there are more legacy users than those who use newer BB devices for various reasons. Yes, you can say that we are wilful mad people who are still clinging to old, and very old, antiquity with passion and conviction, an incurable disease :-).

Enjoy this forum!
    idssteve likes this.
    03-17-17 02:00 AM
    Is it just me or are we getting another "Resurgence" around here lately

idssteve likes this.
    03-17-17 02:05 AM
    I would like to try symbian and webOS someday. Just to see what the fuss is all about. But they have to be 3g, as 2g functionality is dropping everywhere.

Was Brew any good?

I'm still awaiting a GOOD sailfish os phone. Must plan ahead for the day when my 9930 and passport finally become obsolete for current networks.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    Symbian! I knew that name from somewhere and checked and sure enough, I had it on my Nokia C3 in 2010-2011. Of course the C3 was like a budget device, I remember drooling over the N8? I think it was called. The one made to compete with the iphone and all glass screen. This was before I realized how nice PKB's are and I had 0 time on any full touch device.

I cannot remember what version of Symbian mine used but until last year a friend of mine was a REAL holdout with his C3 and still used his with no issues whatsoever. In fact he had no idea what the "WLAN" setting was for years on his Nokia and I set it up for him to use wifi and connect when we were at a cafe once!!!

03-17-17 02:12 AM
    I ran into someone in the imore forum, was that you? Either way good to hear from ya!

You definately have more mad skills than me.

<skipped for short>

It's funny how I do not want an iphone that cannot be updated but I have no problem keeping a Blackberry around that has had no OS updates for years! The only explanation I can think of has to be the design of the 9900, that amazing KB and the complete satisfaction of having a stress free typing experience.....

Yes, I am the one.

Re keyboard, as I said, it was a matter of which one I became used to, nothing more than that. And again, I use Bold 9900 for more than its typing ability (I am sure you do too). If I got used to PKB pecking, it is even more reason to cling to the Bold 9900. I have been using the iPhone since 2007 when Apple first introduced it. It's a long waiting since "Newton" days through many including Palm Treo etc. iPhone is obviously a fabulously capable device with buttery smooth OS. I am deeply into Apple eco system not so much by choice but simply by default. I was too much into it before I realized it :-). But all these touch screen devices are like flipping pages after pages to get to what I want. Nothing wrong with. But there is something to BB legacy devices and I simply appreciate it within the realm of the way I use mobile devices. I appreciate PKB for keyboard shortcuts and speed dialling etc more than typing, but I am trying to learn PKB pecking so that I could use the Bold more. Will see how it goes :-)
    03-17-17 02:16 AM
    For me the hole thing seems more about what you need to-do with your phone. If it's only to write SMS, answering push eamil and do calls... for those tasks: Bold 9900 was and could still very good but what could be a Bold 9901?

And for my point of of view: between BOLD 9900 and BOLD 9790, the 9790 was better.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 02:31 AM
    For me the hole thing seems more about what you need to-do with your phone. If it's only to write SMS, answering push eamil and do calls... for those tasks: Bold 9900 was and could still very good but what could be a Bold 9901?

And for my point of of view: between BOLD 9900 and BOLD 9790, the 9790 was better.

Posted via CB10
    I had a 9790 for 4 months before it died. For some reason it would not accept the latest version of OS7.1 and kept jamming. It was smaller than the 9900, in fact it was more like an improved 9780. It was nice while it lasted but the extra width of the 9900 keyboard makes it nicer to type on than the 9790. Also the 9790 KB did not have the "clickiness" in the KB that becomes addictive to some of us. The 9790 also had a slower processor at 1Ghz and the 9900 is 1.2Ghz.

I would have loved to find an ultra-rare 9790 in white. I wonder if there are any on Amazon or ebay.

03-17-17 02:40 AM
    Yes, I am the one.
    If in imore check my posts in the "The Jet Black Dilema" thread under iphone 7 Hardware section. I posted a bunch of pics of cases and stuff that I liked while at BestBuy today.

Also there is a guy here locally selling an unlocked 6S+ for $450, brand new but unfortunately in Rose Gold colour. Also the fact that who knows what happened to it and there would be no warrenty if something is bad on it, etc.

03-17-17 02:46 AM

Bold's usefulness goes much beyond just those you described. If that's the case, I certainly do not need the Bold 9900.

And yes, I have a 9790. I entered into the BB world via 9780 by accident. Then, I was hooked, and there was a long standing rumour of a slightly larger device, called Dakota at the time. When it finally came out, I naturally jumped on it, but it was riddled with software glitches and battery issue etc. And it felt so big in my hand at the time, and I did not like it. When 9790 was out, I jumped out and used it for a while, but by that time, I became interested in 9900 again (do not remember the reason). I actually prefer a more compact device and I love 9790 but its wireless chip is somewhat inferior to the 9900 and I could tell it. I have a new 9790 stashed in my drawer and might use it in the future. I have a penchant for a compact device, so I went to iPhone SE so many times back and forth, victimizing Apple :-). But my eyesight is not what it used to be, and I now accept slightly larger device. But the iPhone 6s is still too large for my taste. Smartphone to me should be a palm sized :tool", tossing in and out of pocket. For any contents viewing etc (I do not do gaming), I am never too far from my laptop or iPad.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-17-17 03:01 AM
    For me the hole thing seems more about what you need to-do with your phone. If it's only to write SMS, answering push eamil and do calls...
    And it's far more than that for me, If those were the only useful things for the 9900, I don't need the 9900 to do it. In many ways, modern iPhone can do everything and more, and far better. In order to prefer the 9900 as the daily driver to the latest and the greatest iPhone, one needs more convincing reasons to do so. Let's just say for now that it's about UI excellence and what is called "little moment of delights" hidden in menu system etc. It's a business person's tool.

But let me tell you. It took me a lot of time, and numerous back and forth before settling the current way of using smartphones, literally years. But once I am convinced this is the best way "for me", my mind is at ease and no more flirting :-).
    idssteve likes this.
    03-17-17 03:12 AM
    I complained of 9900 being slightly too large, back when I got this 9930... 5+yrs ago. My hand eventually "stretched" to accommodate it which really makes it the absolute limit in size, imo. Naturally, BB obviously thought: "they got used to 9900, we'll just keep making handsets larger and user hands will just keep stretching...". ...WRONG! Lol. My hand hasn't grown a millimeter in the last 5yrs. Whose has?? Lol.

My personal fave, sizewise, was 9650. But its mushy keyboard, tho fast (maybe faster?), never approached error free precision I've grown to expect out of 9900 under my single thumb.

AND, thanks to its 1.2gHz processor, 9900 beats all of BBOS for boot up time. Mine is back on the job 2 minutes and 40 seconds after battery insert. My Classic gets on its feet 2 minutes and 20 seconds after power button press. Can't insert battery into Classic for real oranges to oranges comparison. Soft, power button, power up has my 9900 on its feet in under 10 seconds, fwiw.

I frequently use 9900 in left hand simultaneous to Classic in right hand. Side by side comparison on almost daily basis for the past two years. Despite being right handed, I STILL accomplish twice+ on my 9900 than gets accomplished on my Classic. Classic has gotten noticeably better since last 10.3.3 update but that update didn't shrink the oversized thing even a mm. Go figure... Lol.

Classic's trackpad does, however, tame its size, to a degree. Thumb is rarely compelled to venture above toolbelt. There are still holes in BB10 demanding that crazy stretch. One of my major complaints with relatively compact Q10 was that too frequent stretch-too-far to reach "send", "save", etc. Demanding two handed attention too often for my tastes. I go DAYS at a time without ever involving my right hand in operating 9900, tho. Typing this over breakfast. Right hand dedicated only to fork.

I do really like Classic's trackpad for Miracast over large screen TV. A little smoother than 9900 bridged to PlayBook hdmi to large TV. Slightly.

I'm still a BIG fan of thumb NAIL typing. Provides unmatched precision & speed for me. Fwiw.
    03-17-17 08:39 AM
    You might like to add Aerize to the list of working apps (sticky). It does download and appears to work, but I can't make it any sense of it with respect to BeWeather ... my IT brain (and free time) is far too small

Good idea. Added to the list of apps that might work.
    03-17-17 10:17 AM
    The classic it is the very last BOLD. And I 'm not agree that the bold 9900 KB it so great. The KB of the 9790 is better in a very compact overall device. It certainly have something to do with keys shape. And for the feeling, the Passport'KB beat them all till now.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 10:39 AM
8,754 ... 201202203204205 ...