Ah yes, this one. Somehow whenever I see this one, I always feel there's something not right with it. I could not say exactly what it is but it is just not right.

BTW, thanks for the tip with event sound. I'll have to wait another month to try as the pod I had was taken by a friend and the new one is taking a de tour. What else should I expect having event sound on?

I've always have my phone on vibrate for like the last 10 years, so it's always been off with event sound when I set up the Blackberries. And hence I don't know what it would do. My company have a penalty policy for phone ringing during a meeting, internal or with customer. The penalty is about equivalent to U$ 20 each time. Being senior (never like this term as it sounds OLD) I have to pay double. All money goes into a piggy bank and when the pig is fat enough, we would have a nice dinner together. It's OK when I go to meet customers, but when in the office, I always rush from my desk to the meeting room and hardly have time to think of the phone's sound profile. So after paying for dinner a few times, I learned the lesson and phone now is most of the time on vibrate.
    IKR, it is almost like someone put a regular 9900 into a wooden box and charged $5K for it. I don't know what is so special about it.

If you use a personal 9900 and not one for work, then You would probably like Event Sounds as much as I do.

Basically all it does it make very subtle sound when you charge a device, when the battery is low and when the battery is full. You can barely hear the sound but it makes all the difference in my world because I use the pod charger by the bed, and as we know the 99 must sit PERFECTLY straight to align the charging contact points, and event sounds makes a tiny BEEP when it is charging. This way you do not have to look to see the tiny lightning bolt symbol on the battery icon to know it is charging. I also love the low battery alert and it occurs when the battery goes RED.

All the years I carried a 9780 and a 9790 I WISH I had Googled what Event sounds did.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-13-17 04:30 PM
    Interesting looking software, which I have no experience of.
    When I looked on their webpage it was interesting to note that BerryWeather was specifically mentioned. So this approach might well be worth a try - if I can find the time to work it out
    I'd be interested to hear the results. I haven't messed with that software forever.
    03-13-17 08:44 PM
    Bite me Apple, I love my new Blackbook Pro9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489462610.687043.jpg
    03-13-17 10:37 PM
    Bite me Apple, I love my new Blackbook Pro
    The BlackBerry Curve(d) 90° !?
    03-14-17 06:25 AM
    The BlackBerry Curve(d) 90° !?
    Apple "invent" TouchBar but BlackBerry use it many years ago!
    03-14-17 07:29 AM
    I'd be interested to hear the results. I haven't messed with that software forever.
    Don't hold your breath, I might never get around to it.
    (1) I'd have to buy the software, which I'm not totally against if it was to work, but would prefer a try before you buy model.
    (2) I don't fully understand how it will resolve my problems, I do get updates on WiFi but not (now) when on BIS and without an active WiFi connection. Is Aerize likely to fix that?

Edit: just realised that there is a 'Try' option on the website, have downloaded ....
    03-14-17 07:30 AM
    (2) I don't fully understand how it will resolve my problems, I do get updates on WiFi but not (now) when on BIS and without an active WiFi connection. Is Aerize likely to fix that?
    The app should allow you to make your BeWeather app use your cellular connection but direct it to BeWeather in a way that makes the BeWeather app think that it's a WiFi signal. Clear as mud, right? It's worth trying the trial version, but as I mentioned before, it does not work with SSL, so if BeWeather requires a login, or even permits logins, it probably won't work. There also might be some other reason -- out there in the internet rather than on your device -- why cellular has ceased working, and if so, Aerize would not help.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-14-17 08:10 AM
    Spot on! I just bought a BRAND NEW condition unlocked 9900, complete with protective films intact, for £19.99 with a mic fault which I fixed with a scalpel to some rubber - see my other thread.

Gorgeous phone!
    03-14-17 11:22 PM
    WHAT!!!!! You have a Passport! LETS GET HIM!!!!

But ya about the daily BB App World emails, I was like, it is 2011 still? I never got that much care from Blackberry back then, I do like seeing what's out there for apps. They still know we exist, unless its some random computer automated sender, it's still ok

And ya get ON my video! The challenge is trying to NOT fall asleep for the 11 minutes but others say that they felt 5 years younger after watching it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LMAO! You made me laugh hard and grin!
    03-14-17 11:27 PM
    LMAO! You made me laugh hard and grin!
    Responded to your new thread, and nice find.

03-15-17 01:28 AM
    So suddenly my Facebook app Chat started working again!! I could see all who was online and respond, etc.

However the Messages Inbox is not.

03-15-17 05:17 AM
    The app should allow you to make your BeWeather app use your cellular connection but direct it to BeWeather in a way that makes the BeWeather app think that it's a WiFi signal. Clear as mud, right? It's worth trying the trial version, but as I mentioned before, it does not work with SSL, so if BeWeather requires a login, or even permits logins, it probably won't work. There also might be some other reason -- out there in the internet rather than on your device -- why cellular has ceased working, and if so, Aerize would not help.
    You might like to add Aerize to the list of working apps (sticky). It does download and appears to work, but I can't make it any sense of it with respect to BeWeather ... my IT brain (and free time) is far too small
    03-15-17 07:17 AM
    You might like to add Aerize to the list of working apps (sticky). It does download and appears to work, but I can't make it any sense of it with respect to BeWeather ... my IT brain (and free time) is far too small

Haha... Here's another article describing research into brain alterations attributed to touch screen use... Lol. At least one of these studies has concluded that the portion of the brain associated with thumbs grows larger in touchscreen users, compared to us PKB users. Lol.

CBC News - Smartphone-touchscreen use altering brain activity

I'd be curious as to what surrounding portions of brain function got sacrificed to accommodate that enlargement... Lol. But, touchscreens do seem to be one way to make a portion of brain "larger". Fwiw. Lol.

I like my brain as it is. Others might disagree... Lol. More I read on this, the happier I am I've stayed with PKB. Especially 99's exquisite implementation of it. Lol. One study (can't find now) seemed to indicate that the effect can be somewhat reversed by return to pkb. There's still hope for recovering iPhoners!!! Haha.

As for BeWeather, your unfortunate experience seems maybe related to local networking issues? Unfortunate for you but encouraging for me that moving MoBo from this beat up 9930 might be worth the trouble, just to preserve favorite apps. I'll try other options like BBSAK, etc, first, tho. Like you, time is the obstacle. Lol.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-15-17 08:55 AM
    Does whatsapp still work on this thing?

#whatisclassic
    03-15-17 09:54 AM
    Does whatsapp still work on this thing?

#whatisclassic
    Yes.

beta.whatsapp.com/ota
    03-15-17 09:57 AM

I'd be curious as to what surrounding portions of brain function got sacrificed to accommodate that enlargement...
    A lot of people seem to have space to spare, so I wouldn't worry about them too much

03-15-17 08:36 PM
    A lot of people seem to have space to spare, so I wouldn't worry about them too much

Haha... Myself included...lol.

I, for one, would find it quite surprising if some sort of bridge between my left thumb and language centers weren't found... Lol. Given my use case, guess I'm wondering why thumb centers for PKB users aren't also enlarged?? Quite a lot of material for research with such ubiquitous contraptions. Lol.

In retrospect, it's interesting to ponder that most of my crew, including myself, complained of "mental fatigue" during our 9-12 month commitment to all touch Z10. We'd attributed that fatigue to learning a new, and then green, OS. As well as, new to us, touch interface. If these studies are indicative, perhaps growing brain "muscle" demanded resources that might've contribute to that fatigue? Idk.

The energizing relief we felt upon returning to our 99s, after that year, seemed inexplicably extreme. Our thoroughly quantified productivity, for a uniquely demanding niche service, shortly shot back up to quickly exceed the record setting productivity we'd experienced using 9900s the pre-Z year. We've set new records, for our niche service, each year since returning to 9900 but that first year back was almost explosive. Clearly, something about the ZQ year experience had improved our performance with 9900 in VERY amazing ways... No real explanation, at the time, other than attributing the phenomenon to "mental exercise". Maybe that year of touch "exercise" grew brain "muscle" that could be useful when applied to PKB 9900??

I'd also like to test possible correlation between these "growths" and the seemingly irrational defensiveness of device configuration that led to the growth?? Even outright antagonism toward non-growth inducing PKB?? Natural to defend resources invested?? Or???

Given the ubiquity of handhelds, there's no such thing as too much research, imo. I could sure list a LOT of possible research scenarios. Lol.
    03-16-17 02:36 AM
    Haha... Myself included...lol.

I, for one, would find it quite surprising if some sort of bridge between my left thumb and language centers weren't found... Lol. Given my use case, guess I'm wondering why thumb centers for PKB users aren't also enlarged?? Quite a lot of material for research with such ubiquitous contraptions. Lol.

In retrospect, it's interesting to ponder that most of my crew, including myself, complained of "mental fatigue" during our 9-12 month commitment to all touch Z10. We'd attributed that fatigue to learning a new, and then green, OS. As well as, new to us, touch interface. If these studies are indicative, perhaps growing brain "muscle" demanded resources that might've contribute to that fatigue? Idk.

The energizing relief we felt upon returning to our 99s, after that year, seemed inexplicably extreme. Our thoroughly quantified productivity, for a uniquely demanding niche service, shortly shot back up to quickly exceed the record setting productivity we'd experienced using 9900s the pre-Z year. We've set new records, for our niche service, each year since returning to 9900 but that first year back was almost explosive. Clearly, something about the ZQ year experience had improved our performance with 9900 in VERY amazing ways... No real explanation, at the time, other than attributing the phenomenon to "mental exercise". Maybe that year of touch "exercise" grew brain "muscle" that could be useful when applied to PKB 9900??

I'd also like to test possible correlation between these "growths" and the seemingly irrational defensiveness of device configuration that led to the growth?? Even outright antagonism toward non-growth inducing PKB?? Natural to defend resources invested?? Or???

Given the ubiquity of handhelds, there's no such thing as too much research, imo. I could sure list a LOT of possible research scenarios. Lol.
    Well I can attest to the mental fatigue aspect because typing on the iPhone is an absolute futility for concentrating on what you're doing and when typing on glass you cannot really relax. In fact it's not fun at all on glass when so much concentration is involved to NOT make errors. (Technology for auto correct included)

I really do believe it comes down to when we enjoy doing something we do it more. As for the records you set every year since then I would attribute that to practice and familiarity with the device, and the accuracy/fun of using a PKB that is so perfected on the famous 9900.

If I am understanding that correctly.

I'm still amazed how you can hold the 99 in your left hand and work it like it's in your right hand, and you are right-handed right? I can't do it I can't even hold it properly in my left hand. I seem to get a lot more cramping and carpal tunnel type symptoms in my right hand when I'm using the 9900 for some reason, it might be that it's much wider than my iPhone. I can't attribute that to anything else that I can think of. Perhaps the sharper squared edges of the metal band. It's not to the level of extreme pain and discomfort but that's why I sometimes try the 99 in my left hand and it's just awkward for me.
    03-16-17 02:49 AM
    Well I can attest to the mental fatigue aspect because typing on the iPhone is an absolute futility for concentrating on what you're doing and when typing on glass you cannot really relax. In fact it's not fun at all on glass when so much concentration is involved to NOT make errors. (Technology for auto correct included)

I really do believe it comes down to when we enjoy doing something we do it more. As for the records you set every year since then I would attribute that to practice and familiarity with the device. If I am understanding that correctly.

I'm still amazed how you can hold the 99 in your left hand and work it like it's in your right hand, and you are right-handed right? I can't do it I can't even hold it properly in my left hand. I seem to get a lot more cramping and carpal tunnel type symptoms in my right hand when I'm using the 9900 for some reason, it might be that it's much wider than my iPhone. I can't attribute that to anything else that I can think of. Perhaps the sharper squared edges of the metal band. It's not to the level of extreme pain and discomfort but that's why I sometimes try the 99 in my left hand and it's just awkward for me.
    We've set new records each year, mostly due to practice, like you say, but the real explosion in productivity happened that first year we went back to 99 from touch. No practice at all, on 9900, that previous year. Yet, after a year on glass, our PKB proficiency had somehow improved a LOT. Maybe development of certain brain centers? Maybe the best way to get better on a 9900 is to use a touch phone for a while? Lol.

Yes, I'm right handed. Left eye dominant, tho. Best rifle shooting left handed. Best pistol shooting right handed so... Go figure. My brain's probably crosswired strangely. Lol. Otherwise, maybe your left hand just needs a little practice?

Idk about carpal tunnel on 99. My 99 hand muscles are probably well developed. Try letting thumb rest on keyboard between presses. Sort of like the heart resting between beats. I find "touch screen typing" fatigues the back of my thumb from holding back between presses. Not sure how to explain. Carpal tunnel's nothing to fool with, tho. Pinky finger is not part of that, tho. My phones wrest on pinky and get rolled into position partly by it. Don't squeeze any harder than needed.
    03-16-17 03:27 AM
    We've set new records each year, mostly due to practice, like you say, but the real explosion in productivity happened that first year we went back to 99 from touch. No practice at all, on 9900, that previous year. Yet, after a year on glass, our PKB proficiency had somehow improved a LOT. Maybe development of certain brain centers? Maybe the best way to get better on a 9900 is to use a touch phone for a while? Lol.

Yes, I'm right handed. Left eye dominant, tho. Best rifle shooting left handed. Best pistol shooting right handed so... Go figure. My brain's probably crosswired strangely. Lol. Otherwise, maybe your left hand just needs a little practice?

Idk about carpal tunnel on 99. My 99 hand muscles are probably well developed. Try letting thumb rest on keyboard between presses. Sort of like the heart resting between beats. I find "touch screen typing" fatigues the back of my thumb from holding back between presses. Not sure how to explain. Carpal tunnel's nothing to fool with, tho. Pinky finger is not part of that, tho. My phones wrest on pinky and get rolled into position partly by it. Don't squeeze any harder than needed.
    Remember to keep both eyes open while shooting, at least that's what some of the competition guys are saying now. Swapping magazines on a Beretta is not well done with your left hand you have to shift your entire hand to press the magazine release button. Pistol I can shoot both hands but I am better on my right because I'm right-handed. Rifle I've only shot one way and that's normal right hand shooting where the bulk of the weight is in the left-hand, stock on the right shoulder. I can write my name backwards with my left hand LOL (and you think you are wired weird)which is "alien" but here is how I typically hold the 9900… I do use the pinky to support the device.

My pinky is really stretched far from the next finger and that might be a cause of the pain.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1489653883.836402.jpg
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-16-17 at 04:11 AM.
    03-16-17 03:47 AM
    looks like my fingers are closer together on the tiny iphone, that might be the issue.

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    03-16-17 03:58 AM
    Ah yes, both eyes always. There's a wide-wide world out there. And I should point out that quite a few auto loaders aren't well suited to lefty hold and I'm ok with right hand hold. Best standing precision with lefty hold, tho. Stronger right arm under forearm supports rifle weight steadier, imo. Especially when steadying an overpowered scope. Lol. One of my auto loaders sports an old Armson OEG (Occluded Eye Gunsight) that can't be seen thru. It projects a red dot on right eye while target is acquired with left eye. Very fast & fun, with a little practice. But you're missing half of the forward view. Maybe not good in life threatening engagement?? Lol.

Back to topic. Lol. 5+ years ago, I was put off by 9900's width & height. Do recall some discomfort while hand learned the "oversized thing". It's considered compact, by today's standards, but really represented maximum comfortable hand fit, imo. Looks like you hold your 99 just like mine. Good all position grasp between first finger and fourth finger. Tendons for pinky don't pass thru the carpal tunnel. Not always obvious to us mere humans but THE Original Engineer had some reason... Lol. BUT you can certainly hurt pinky tendons anyway... Lol.

My right hand is certainly stronger, which is why I reserve it for oversized & overweight Classic, or other secondary carry. Makes a great "double fisted" combo for simultaneous use.

Give your left hand a chance to practice and you might be amazed at how much more you might get done with its active assistance....
    03-16-17 09:22 AM
    looks like my fingers are closer together on the tiny iphone, that might be the issue.

Yep, iPhone is too tall for first finger to reach the top. Clasp between first finger on top and fourth on bottom is what provides all position grasp on 99. Lay on back and type a message with each device held overhead... Lol.
    03-16-17 09:36 AM
    The Bold 9900 is a masterpiece of ergonomic design, which is why its such a pleasure to type on that smiling keyboard
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    03-16-17 10:13 AM
    Note ceiling in background.
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-p1050165.jpg  
    03-16-17 10:55 AM
8,754 ... 200201202203204 ...