Yep. Guilty as charged.

Happy 5000! Hope you enjoy your VM-605... Be sure to get the shipping address right. Lol.

I'll continue to pursue a Tshirt but with your permission & approval. Always liked Tshirts no-one understands... Great conversation starter. Lol. One thought brought up in the breakroom here was a T-rex chasing a troll... Lol.

Seriously, tho, 5000 enjoyable posts! Great job to Ralph and all!
    lol of course dude, and thanks to everyone for contributing

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-12-17 04:08 PM
    One of the TuneIn Radio shows I love is "The Best Of Art Bell" Coast to Coast AM and once a guest was talking about how no one should put a cellular device right against their body because of the cellular effect from the microwaves. But then others talk about the radiation being so minimal that it makes no difference. Who knows.

Side Note: TuneIn is streaming good without and with the 605 connected today. will keep checking....

The true, multi-generational, study of radiated RF on the human body is well under way... WE are the test subjects! Lol. Research is still steep in discovery curve, imo. Lol.

Afaik, high powered analog cell signals from early 90s were inconclusively suspected of some cancers but modern phones radiate orders of magnitude less RF. Engineers are always cautious about proclaiming ANYthing as "safe". Only "safer". If there were obvious links with a lot of cancer being caused by such ubiquitous RF sources, we'd likely hear about it, if not observe it ourselves, by now. Imo.

That said, it's not impossible that there might be possible impacts other than cancer. I know, from working with millivolt analog signals in industrial environments, that we live on a planet thoroughly polluted by background radiation. Both natural and human generated. My VERY limited understanding of human electro-chemical neural transmission leads to GREAT respect for that system's remarkable resilience against such a barrage of background electrical noise. BUT, there are a LOT of insufficiently explained, or even defined, behavioral phenomena. Might some of those one day get traced back to RF exposure?? I certainly don't know.

My general recommendation is to minimize RF & EM exposure whenever possible. A recommendation that I, myself, don't really practice. Lol. Just do as I say, not as I do... Lol.
    03-12-17 04:46 PM
    The true, multi-generational, study of radiated RF on the human body is well under way... WE are the test subjects! Lol. Research is still steep in discovery curve, imo. Lol.

Afaik, high powered analog cell signals from early 90s were inconclusively suspected of some cancers but modern phones radiate orders of magnitude less RF. Engineers are always cautious about proclaiming ANYthing as "safe". Only "safer". If there were obvious links with a lot of cancer being caused by such ubiquitous RF sources, we'd likely hear about it, if not observe it ourselves, by now. Imo.

That said, it's not impossible that there might be possible impacts other than cancer. I know, from working with millivolt analog signals in industrial environments, that we live on a planet thoroughly polluted by background radiation. Both natural and human generated. My VERY limited understanding of human electro-chemical neural transmission leads to GREAT respect for that system's remarkable resilience against such a barrage of background electrical noise. BUT, there are a LOT of insufficiently explained, or even defined, behavioral phenomena. Might some of those one day get traced back to RF exposure?? I certainly don't know.

My general recommendation is to minimize RF & EM exposure whenever possible. A recommendation that I, myself, don't really practice. Lol. Just do as I say, not as I do... Lol.
    Exactly and speaking about the early analogue devices, like my Motorola 650 flip that I had in 1997. There was once a show on TV about how they autopsied people that died of brain cancer or tumours or whatever it was, and there was visible damage in the brain in the exact same shape of the cell phone where they held it. That was pretty compelling but still the link to prove it is never 100% conclusive. It's like my professor in University some 20 years ago saying that we cannot really say smoking causes cancer (but we know it does for some) it's just that they cannot understand the actual connection between the cigarette and how the cancer manifests. But we all kind of laughed in class over that one. People have to decide for themselves I guess :-)
    03-12-17 05:18 PM
    BeWeather is still on my 9900 but it is very poor now at refreshing weather. Usually it picks up first thing in the morning (after nightly reboot) and then struggles to refresh during the day. This morning it has done nothing, just returns the 'http response code: 301 error'.
    Keep hoping it will self-fix but probably I'm in a state of denial
    Hmm... Have you tried an afternoon reboot? Just wondering what reboot is doing. ? The fact it does work occasionally is encouraging.

Have you tried different Network Transport settings? Don't even know of free version has that setting but on Pro, it's under Optioins, General Settings, Networking
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-12-17 05:34 PM
    Exactly and speaking about the early analogue devices, like my Motorola 650 flip that I had in 1997. There was once a show on TV about how they autopsied people that died of brain cancer or tumours or whatever it was, and there was visible damage in the brain in the exact same shape of the cell phone where they held it. That was pretty compelling but still the link to prove it is never 100% conclusive. It's like my professor in University some 20 years ago saying that we cannot really say smoking causes cancer (but we know it does for some) it's just that they cannot understand the actual connection between the cigarette and how the cancer manifests. But we all kind of laughed in class over that one. People have to decide for themselves I guess :-)
    Yep. I DO use speakerphone when ever possible just to minimize RF into the side of my already troubled brain. Lol. Several apps, including Advance OS, switch 99 to speakerphone by default. Something I wish existed for my Classic, etc.
    03-12-17 05:48 PM
    Yep. I DO use speakerphone when ever possible just to minimize RF into the side of my already troubled brain. Lol. Several apps, including Advance OS, switch 99 to speakerphone by default. Something I wish existed for my Classic, etc.
    I was a bit overwhelmed when I tried Advance OS and LED but it's cool that is still an option. I just don't need all of that. I try to keep it relatively simple like trying to figure out why I still can't seem to run TuneIn more than 10 minutes via 605. The 99 works perfectly with my first 605 so I will do further tests....

Update: Battery has 7.5 hours on it and still going strong.

idssteve likes this.
    03-12-17 09:32 PM
    Yeah, RPNator wasn't a good fit for Classic. Gonna try it on my Z30, tho.

I was able to get Lygea working on this 9930, after it mysteriously stopped, by entering an activation code found at BBW, my world, scroll down & select "Pocket 10C", scroll toward bottom of description and there's "License Key: xxxxx" on mine. Haven't tried entering on any other device but if you had it on your 9900, that license key might be there?

Once you go RPN, everything else just seems like the long way around. Lol.
    So, RPNator didn't fit well on the Classic screen?

I did try looking for the key in BlackBerry World -- no soap. Mmmmaybe I should do a Gmail search.

Totally agree about RPN. To me, BlackBerry 10 is a lot like that.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-12-17 10:21 PM
    Yep. Old Fluid Dynamics prof once challenged my answer for a test problem. I'd carried all variables, functions & units thru to derive an equation that filled most of the page and then simply RPN'd & wrote the answer. Most fellow students used Ti "conventional" calcs and filled pages writing down intermediate results. This prof was an old slide rule guy and was also accustomed to writing intermediate steps. I pulled out my then new HP41CV (CX wasn't out yet) and started in the center, working my way out, and showed him each step without writing a single thing down. The power of RPN! That old prof bought an HP41 a few days later! Lol. So sad so few have ever even heard of RPN.

This old prof had a heavy Polish accent and seemed elated when I told him RPN's nickname... Lol.

Btw, check ur PM.
    03-13-17 12:16 AM
    Have you tried different Network Transport settings? Don't even know of free version has that setting but on Pro, it's under Optioins, General Settings, Networking
    Ha, great minds think alike...
    Yesterday I was playing around with Network Transport settings and discovered that if I fix it to WiFi then BeWeather updates. Previously, I had always had it set to Auto so that (presumably) it could auto-switch between BIS and WiFi but that definitely doesn't work for me now*. Also, if I select BIS (rather than Auto or WiFi) that doesn't work, which is all rather strange and means that my BeWeather will not update when I'm out and about, but at least I have a part solution.

*The Auto setting used to work fine with BeWeather so something has changed somewhere, but it may be a UK network related issue, as others are not reporting problems with the app
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 03-13-17 at 06:57 AM.
    03-13-17 01:29 AM
    Maybe we are not "nerds" maybe we qualify as "hipsters"

Lofree Keyboard review: The ultimate hipster accessory
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FT5A_
    03-13-17 01:59 AM
    I think I just found my dream 99

03-13-17 02:14 AM
    Has anyone ever done the diagnostic test where you click options device scroll down to device and status information click that and then anywhere enter the word "TEST" then click OK, then click the trackpad.......

You can do various diagnostic tests. If you touch the screen you can skip all or other options.
    03-13-17 02:33 AM
    Maybe we are not "nerds" maybe we qualify as "hipsters"

Lofree Keyboard review: The ultimate hipster accessory
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FT5A_
    Haha...Yup. Maybe some are "Hip Nerds"?? Lol. +1000 for PKB. Our brains evolved in a PHYSICAL reality. Always felt like glass was "doing things" to my already troubled brain...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ens-daily.html

Troubled as it is, I like my brain, as it is... Lol. I'll stick with PKB, thank you.
    03-13-17 05:20 AM
    Congrats on the 5000th.

I do use TEST from time to time, when first receiving and playing with a new phone or when something is not going as normal. Funny though, the white 9900 I am carrying now failed all the radio test, yet it is doing all the radio functions nicely.

Posted from my  Passport
    idssteve likes this.
    03-13-17 05:26 AM
    I think I just found my dream 99
    Think I'll stay with my black 9900. For me it has to be black to be a BlackBerry!
    and yes .... vanilla is my favourite ice cream
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    03-13-17 06:42 AM
    Haha... Ben&Jerry's Cherry Garcia rates my fave... Vanilla's a good ole standby, tho. Lol.

Did they ever make a Gold 99 in White?
    03-13-17 07:47 AM
    A few years ago, I had an iPhone 4 from my employer, and Opera Mini worked quite well on it. It was faster, rendered some sites better, and did have data compression.

I guess things to consider when going with Opera Mini are that your data is all directed through Opera servers, the browser part of the business has been sold to Chinese investors (I don't know the laws around government access over there, but I suspect they're different from here), and Opera sync was hacked recently.
    Try mozilla firefox in place of Opera. And about the Chinese "concern" if really you're really care about having a gouvernement whatever permission or intrusion better use microsoft OS or Apple. About 9900 ressurgeance: I have no clue of that happen. The q10, the classic, the z30, either the Passport are aged enough now to give us some concern about their reliability in close future times. The best choice is to put your money on android OS , Apple or MS.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 07:47 AM
    Haha... Ben&Jerry's Cherry Garcia rates my fave... Vanilla's a good ole standby, tho. Lol.

Did they ever make a Gold 99 in White?
    I don't think BlackBerry ever made a white gold version of th 9900. The official gold version include the Q10 and limited number of Passport.
    I've seen around here the 9900 bezel in brushed gold (look ugly though for my taste) and matt black like the Q10 bezel, which looks great on a black 9900.

BTW, Steve. There is an option to back up BeWeather onto a microSD card in Settings. But I am not sure if it will bring all the credentials over to another phone.

03-13-17 08:19 AM
    Yesterday I was playing around with Network Transport settings and discovered that if I fix it to WiFi then BeWeather updates.
    I wonder if you could use Aerize WiFix to solve this problem? It is supposed to permit you to redirect a cellular signal to an app's wifi path (or wifi to cellular, among many other features). The problem is that Aerize is so old that it doesn't support SSL, so if your weather app requires it, Aerize won't work.
    03-13-17 09:08 AM
    Try mozilla firefox in place of Opera.
    Posted via CB10
    I can't remember the context of that quotation, but I don't think Firefox or Fennec were ever made available for OS7. Even if they were, chances are that they would have been super-sluggish.

I think proxy servers scare me more now than ever. I use Opera mini, but only to access sites that don't involve finances or secure accounts. I don't need my passwords ending up in anyone's hands. Speaking of which, it's probably time for a wholesale password change again.

I don't bother with any of the third-party email apps on the 9900 any more (I don't have BIS), since SSL stopped working, and just access my mail via the website using the BlackBerry browser. I haven't tried Smartmail, but read that the people using it had to turn encryption off, so it's no better than LogicMail in that respect. There's too much private information in my email accounts to have it sent unencrypted over the internet.

For those reasons, my Q10 is my daily driver these days. It still gets security updates, if nothing else.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-13-17 at 08:41 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-13-17 09:25 AM
    I wonder if you could use Aerize WiFix to solve this problem? It is supposed to permit you to redirect a cellular signal to an app's wifi path (or wifi to cellular, among many other features). The problem is that Aerize is so old that it doesn't support SSL, so if your weather app requires it, Aerize won't work.
    Interesting looking software, which I have no experience of.
    When I looked on their webpage it was interesting to note that BerryWeather was specifically mentioned. So this approach might well be worth a try - if I can find the time to work it out
    03-13-17 11:39 AM
    Haha...Yup. Maybe some are "Hip Nerds"?? Lol. +1000 for PKB. Our brains evolved in a PHYSICAL reality. Always felt like glass was "doing things" to my already troubled brain...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ens-daily.html

Troubled as it is, I like my brain, as it is... Lol. I'll stick with PKB, thank you.
    I've always had wide flat thumbs, not good for weenie whittle iPhones
    03-13-17 12:06 PM
    Congrats on the 5000th.

I do use TEST from time to time, when first receiving and playing with a new phone or when something is not going as normal. Funny though, the white 9900 I am carrying now failed all the radio test, yet it is doing all the radio functions nicely.

Hmm.

I just found out about that diagnostic test last night.

BTW do you turn ON "Event Sounds?"

If you use a pod charger you will find it VERY helpful
    03-13-17 12:08 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry ever made a white gold version of th 9900. The official gold version include the Q10 and limited number of Passport.
    I've seen around here the 9900 bezel in brushed gold (look ugly though for my taste) and matt black like the Q10 bezel, which looks great on a black 9900.

BTW, Steve. There is an option to back up BeWeather onto a microSD card in Settings. But I am not sure if it will bring all the credentials over to another phone.

I'm not sure about gold from the factory but there is always this you can buy

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/BNIB-BLACKBERRY...%257Ciid%253A1
    03-13-17 12:17 PM
    I'm not sure about gold from the factory but there is always this you can buy

BNIB BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900 LIMITED EXCLUSIVE EDITION 6/20 WITH SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS | eBay
    Ah yes, this one. Somehow whenever I see this one, I always feel there's something not right with it. I could not say exactly what it is but it is just not right.

BTW, thanks for the tip with event sound. I'll have to wait another month to try as the pod I had was taken by a friend and the new one is taking a de tour. What else should I expect having event sound on?

I've always have my phone on vibrate for like the last 10 years, so it's always been off with event sound when I set up the Blackberries. And hence I don't know what it would do. My company have a penalty policy for phone ringing during a meeting, internal or with customer. The penalty is about equivalent to U$ 20 each time. Being senior (never like this term as it sounds OLD) I have to pay double. All money goes into a piggy bank and when the pig is fat enough, we would have a nice dinner together. It's OK when I go to meet customers, but when in the office, I always rush from my desk to the meeting room and hardly have time to think of the phone's sound profile. So after paying for dinner a few times, I learned the lesson and phone now is most of the time on vibrate.
    03-13-17 01:17 PM
8,754 ... 199200201202203 ...