Hey Steve you often mention muscle memory I believe, you might like the new video that Kevin posted today here it is…

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=tslhBFrpMA0
    Haha... Good ole CBK still "gets it"!! Thanks for the link.
    02-14-17 07:20 PM
    Also Mushroom, find out if he STILL uses his Bold 9900. He might have moved on and been speaking from nostalgia? Hopefully he will comment here, it would be cool to hear some of his experiences with the 99 vs. others.
    PM sent to Calvincton Bailey with links to this forum
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    02-15-17 02:52 AM
    Hey Steve you often mention muscle memory I believe, you might like the new video that Kevin posted today here it is…

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=tslhBFrpMA0

He's such a shameless self-promoter, that CBK
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    02-15-17 10:08 AM
    BB put everything they had learned through many years of hard won evolutionary experience into our 9900s. They intentionally abandoned 99% of that experience while starting BB10 from scratch..
    I truly believe that they feel they HAVE TO make changes to a device and an OS or people will "get bored and move on." Look at how many younger people in Twitter talk about "being bored" with their iphone or the apps when there are literally what....... 700,000+ apps or more? I was never like that and if something works good I don't mind sticking to it.

I think everyone (most everyone) today has such a short attention span that we have to be constantly dazzled by excitment (even on TV commercials) or the networks are afraid we will change channels on the remote. And that's why devices/toys have to be constantly changed, and sometimes it doesn't work out for the best.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Frehley likes this.
    02-15-17 07:33 PM
    $75 is what i pay for both my plans, do the networks have good pre-paid plans for sims? Here the pre-paid sim plans can even be better than the monthly billed plans. I must mention that my BlackBerry plan is very minimal i think it's about 250 calls, 250 texts and 1GB of data which i have never exceeded it's a very basic plan i don't need extra minutes because the iPhone has unlimited calls and texts and that's the public number for business things so it will be great to use the Priv especially now that facebook is playing up even more with the chat section, my main problem with the client for facebook is that it's a glorified mobile browser version so that chat doesn't refresh but if the native app is online i do get the notifications so i can reply in the client for facebook. I'm looking forward to the 18MP camera it looks really good from what i've seen and i don't think the front facing camera is so bad considering i had a Q10 and took front facing pictures and they never were bad, the iPhone's camera's are not so good in low light. Do you think blackberry will make a Priv 2 in the next year or two?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I thought we did pay a lot here in Canada but comparing to the US, the Swiss guy told me that we get a lot better coverage than in the US (no idea if that is true). The Canadian dollar is only worth around 75 cents per US dollar right now so I thought ours would also be "higher" costing plans because of this.

Anyway I am happy with 5 MP and 8 MP cameras from my devices because the bigger the file the more space a device needs. I rarely need massive MP cameras but they are cool if you do a lot of cropping from your cell pics, etc. But I imagine if there are new iphones with 256 GB's storage now then one does not have to be so concerned with giant 18 MP photos either....

Frehley likes this.
    02-15-17 07:40 PM
    He's such a shameless self-promoter, that CBK
    Haha something funny about that is (and I'm not sure I should share this) my cousin was over yesterday, and the previous day I had sent him Kevin's new PKB advantages video because my cousin does not have a cell phone nor does he want one. He calls cellular devices "brain cancer machines" lol, he teases me for liking an old Blackberry with a PKB.

He likened using a PKB Blackberry to someone "that buys an old painting for whatever reason and tries to fix it up with new paints" I guess he thinks it is something like buying the mona lisa and eating a pizza off it or something, no idea.

I remember back when I bought a Motorola RAZR in 2007 he was with me and I probably saw a Blackberry for the first time and he said "how would you like that phone, it would be like talking into a calculator." (Blackberry)

At least I have 2 phones But I think this might give some insight as to what the general population THINKS of when they hear the name "Blackberry,"
    But he does tease me over it

02-15-17 07:47 PM
    I truly believe that they feel they HAVE TO make changes to a device and an OS or people will "get bored and move on." Look at how many younger people in Twitter talk about "being bored" with their iphone or the apps when there are literally what....... 700,000+ apps or more? I was never like that and if something works good I don't mind sticking to it.

I think everyone (most everyone) today has such a short attention span that we have to be constantly dazzled by excitment (even on TV commercials) or the networks are afraid we will change channels on the remote. And that's why devices/toys have to be constantly changed, and sometimes it doesn't work out for the best.

Yep. Newer versions can be argued to be improvements by strengthening weaknesses identified in previous versions. BB10 wasn't based on OS7 and is NOT a newer version of OS7. It is completely new and wasn't based on OS7 in ANY way. It therefore can't claim to be an improved version in ANY way. Its a different OS. Just like iOS is a different OS. The relative chronology of its release is no more indicative of version improvement than was the irrelevant version number jump from 7 to 10. Utterly immature BB10.0 really should have been named BB1.0, imo. Fwiw. Lol.
    02-15-17 09:44 PM
    Yep. Newer versions can be argued to be improvements by strengthening weaknesses identified in previous versions. BB10 wasn't based on OS7 and is NOT a newer version of OS7. It is completely new and wasn't based on OS7 in ANY way. It therefore can't claim to be an improved version in ANY way. Its a different OS. Just like iOS is a different OS. The relative chronology of its release is no more indicative of version improvement than was the irrelevant version number jump from 7 to 10. Utterly immature BB10.0 really should have been named BB1.0, imo. Fwiw. Lol.
    Yup and as for jumping from BB7 to BB10, I just heard tonite that the iphone 8 Anniversary edition might be called the Iphone 10. What is it with rounding up the numbers, no one is fooled by this, but I guess to keep people from getting BORED it must sound "cooler" from some marketing standpoint or something.

I think BBOS should have simply been IMPROVED upon and not differentiated by BB10 because that effectively killed BBOS essentially.

02-15-17 10:05 PM
    Yup and as for jumping from BB7 to BB10, I just heard tonite that the iphone 8 Anniversary edition might be called the Iphone 10. What is it with rounding up the numbers, no one is fooled by this, but I guess to keep people from getting BORED it must sound "cooler" from some marketing standpoint or something.

I think BBOS should have simply been IMPROVED upon and not differentiated by BB10 because that effectively killed BBOS essentially.

Believe I heard once that the name of "10" was settled on after some sort of copyright issue with using "X", or "BBX", or something like that, alluding to its QNX?? If I recall?? "10" implied some sort of super build on "7". Since NO single line of code, afaik, was carried over from 7, BB10 simply can't claim to be an improvement on 7. It might be superior in some respects but, like iOS, it's just a completely different OS. Naming it BB1.0 would have been perfectly appropriate and HONEST.

Always heard that porting BBOS GUI over to the new OS was considered but demanded too many resources for the relatively tiny company struggling for relevance in an ocean of Apple & Google sized dominance. . Alas, their new "consumer targeted" product failed to adequately win "consumers" from iDroid while simultaneously succeeding to thoroughly alienate too much of their existing "enterprise oriented" client base. Lacking resources to do both, they bet us "loyal legacy" as ante on a short hand hoping to win part of the monster sized iDroid pot. Problem was, that "winner take all" pot didn't divide. The lower stakes niche game they might have survived languished neglected at a neighboring table. Here we are.
    02-16-17 01:38 AM
    I don't think that we should be too disparaging of BB10, it is a very powerful smartphone operating system with loads of (sadly unrealised) potential, that in many respects is considerably better than most of the current, more popular OS's. Later iterations of BB10 were considerably improved and it really failed due to lack of third party support; no apps > no development = perceived as a less capable system to the chattering, social networking, classes > end of life

BB10 was primarily built as a touch interface and for that it works well. BB OS was developed as a menu driven system, optimised for physical keys, trackpads, menu buttons etc. that was subsequently developed to also enable touch screen use – it works brilliantly on our 9900s, is the result of years of development and optimisation that BB10 was never going to match.
    What our select group of Bold Adventurers really needed was OS7.5 – OS8 etc.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 02-16-17 at 07:50 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    02-16-17 06:47 AM
    I don't think that we should be too disparaging of BB10, it is a very powerful smartphone operating system with loads of (sadly unrealised) potential, that in many respects is considerably better than most of the current, more popular OS's. Later iterations of BB10 were considerably improved and it really failed due to lack of third party support; no apps > no development = perceived as a less capable system to the chattering, social networking, classes > end of life

BB10 was primarily built as a touch interface and for that it works well. BB OS was developed as a menu driven system, optimised for physical keys, trackpads, menu buttons etc. that was subsequently developed to also enable touch screen use – it works brilliantly on our 9900s, is the result of years of development and optimisation that BB10 was never going to match.
    What our select group of Bold Adventurers needed was OS7.5 – OS8 etc.
    Agreed. No disparagement of BB10 intended. Tho, re-reading my posts I can see how that might appear. My apologies. Intention was to point out subtleties of the naming convention disconnect. Fwiw.

Sometimes, reviewing perspective on history can too easily sound disparaging. I'm too frequently guilty of that. Any disparagement is totally reserved for decision makers at RIM who forgot the value of repeat business.
    Disparagement that I would readily direct toward myself had I ever alienated any single one of my customers similarly.

I use three BB10 devices routinely and agree that it has evolved into an admirably powerful OS. Latest BB10.3.3.1435 on Classic really improved its trackpad response enough so that my hand eagerly anticipates browsing sessions, now. That's saying a LOT!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    02-16-17 07:59 AM
    Sometimes, reviewing perspective on history can too easily sound disparaging. I'm too frequently guilty of that. )
    Personally, I've always found your reviews/comments well-balanced and invariably fair. I wasn't intending to single out any one contributor, but simply wanted to note that we should not be knocking BB10 more than what we'd expect for our favoured BBOS7 (both have their pros & cons)
    After all, we really don't want to fall to the low standards that are so often exhibited elsewhere on the CB forums
    02-16-17 08:24 AM
    Believe I heard once that the name of "10" was settled on after some sort of copyright issue with using "X", or "BBX", or something like that, alluding to its QNX?? If I recall?? "10" implied some sort of super build on "7". Since NO single line of code, afaik, was carried over from 7, BB10 simply can't claim to be an improvement on 7. It might be superior in some respects but, like iOS, it's just a completely different OS. Naming it BB1.0 would have been perfectly appropriate and HONEST.

Always heard that porting BBOS GUI over to the new OS was considered but demanded too many resources for the relatively tiny company struggling for relevance in an ocean of Apple & Google sized dominance. . Alas, their new "consumer targeted" product failed to adequately win "consumers" from iDroid while simultaneously succeeding to thoroughly alienate too much of their existing "enterprise oriented" client base. Lacking resources to do both, they bet us "loyal legacy" as ante on a short hand hoping to win part of the monster sized iDroid pot. Problem was, that "winner take all" pot didn't divide. The lower stakes niche game they might have survived languished neglected at a neighboring table. Here we are.
    Also moving to "10" and heavy promotion led to over-hype of the product and the rest is history.

The facts are the BBOS (that is OFTEN MOCKED,and one of the reasons for this thread) had a long development history and likely the reason for it being more "stable" IMO.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 02-16-17 at 10:34 AM.
    02-16-17 10:20 AM
    I don't think that we should be too disparaging of BB10

What our select group of Bold Adventurers really needed was OS7.5 – OS8 etc.
    And that's all we are basically saying. BBOS had a long development history and it could have been improved on, that was our wish.

As for the first part of your quote, I wouldn't worry until we start fighting each other in here, and that has NEVER happened that I can recall

Looks like nostalgia is going to be a big thing this year, especially with Nokia. On the Blackberry end of things we can take comfort in the fact that it looks like the few of us in here are the ones that kept that fire burning for Blackberry.
    02-16-17 10:24 AM
    Alas, their new "consumer targeted" product failed to adequately win "consumers" from iDroid while simultaneously succeeding to thoroughly alienate too much of their existing "enterprise oriented" client base.
    I also think it is not that easy for any Canadian company to break into the American advertising market, the few Blackberry commercials on US airtime would have been washed away in a sea of "Buy American" and no cared or truly paid attention. "Protectionism" has become a HUGE thing now. It also didn't help that some of those Blackberry commercials were just plain terrible. If Marketing wanted to target YOUNGER people they should not have had commercials about middle aged soccer moms standing beside their minivans bragging about being able to text 5000 times a day. I just remember shaking my head.
    02-16-17 11:12 AM
    BT Mobile don't do BIS, so my 9900 days have finished.

Anybody in the UK interested in a mint condition 9900 with 2 new batteries and a case? Locked to EE or BT network (EE have BIS, but not BT)
    02-16-17 12:01 PM
    Personally, I've always found your reviews/comments well-balanced and invariably fair. I wasn't intending to single out any one contributor, but simply wanted to note that we should not be knocking BB10 more than what we'd expect for our favoured BBOS7 (both have their pros & cons)
    After all, we really don't want to fall to the low standards that are so often exhibited elsewhere on the CB forums
    Full agreement.

Slightly back toward topic... About two days ago, my faithful 5 year old 9930 "had a great fall" from a wall. Almost 30' including a glancing blow against a forklift. My stupid. Lol. It still works but its left charging pad got pretty mangled and it no longer charges in cradle. Also, some debris is embedded into the usb port. Which I'm working to clear out. Just continued powering thru batt swapps, as usual anyway.

Preparing a replacement I'm wanting to use BeWeather but have had no luck purchasing & activating on other devices, recently. Pretty sure I've seen in other posts where you use BeWeather? Also saw where you restored using BSAK. Did your BeWeather work after BSAK restore?

Thanks.
    02-16-17 04:37 PM
    Preparing a replacement I'm wanting to use BeWeather but have had no luck purchasing & activating on other devices, recently. Pretty sure I've seen in other posts where you use BeWeather? Also saw where you restored using BSAK. Did your BeWeather work after BSAK restore?
    Sorry to hear about the fall, perhaps amazing that your 9930 is working at all, further tribute the build quality of these devices.

re BeWeather, yes I do use but only the free version which did restore/transfer to my latest 9900 via BBSAK.
    Strangely, I was looking at buying the full version this very evening but have just read in the recent reviews about problems activating licences and of no replies from Bellshare when querying problems. Perhaps development/support has ceased?

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB Tapatalk
    02-16-17 04:56 PM
    Full agreement.

Slightly back toward topic... About two days ago, my faithful 5 year old 9930 "had a great fall" from a wall. Almost 30' including a glancing blow against a forklift. My stupid. Lol. It still works but its left charging pad got pretty mangled and it no longer charges in cradle. Also, some debris is embedded into the usb port. Which I'm working to clear out. Just continued powering thru batt swapps, as usual anyway.

Thanks.
    Jeez, I'd hate to see what you do to a device YOU HATE
    02-16-17 05:03 PM
    Jeez, I'd hate to see what you do to a device YOU HATE
    Haha... Still get teased about wrecking my then 6 month new Z10 by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar) all over it while answering THE much anticipated call of that year! A few years ago. Obviously quite a spectacle of humor to behold. Lol Poor Z never recovered.

This 9930 lasted 5+ yrs... Lol. And is still with the living, ftm. Heartbreaking, tho. Just glad it didn't strike any personnel. We have some frames our fab guys EDM'd wrist strap holes into... Think I'll locate & commandeer one.

Amazingly, the damage really wouldn't show well in photo. Just enough to wreck charging pad function. Broke a tab off of Seidio battery cover but still works fine. Glancing off of the forklift likely eased impact with concrete floor but my crew regularly proves that 9900 is VERY tough ... Lol.

A coworker's Classic wound up under a skidsteer a couple yrs ago. The pathetic collection of parts still hangs in a baggie on the breakroom wall. That coworker claims it was purely accidental but gets teased just the same. Lol. Classic has proven pretty tough as well... No match for skidsteer, tho. Lol.
    02-16-17 06:08 PM
    so....... it damaged one of the 2 charging contacts on the bottom of the device or?? If this is what you mean then I am suprised that plastic antenna cover (that is made to look like the stainless steel) didn't break also...

02-16-17 06:15 PM
    Sorry to hear about the fall, perhaps amazing that your 9930 is working at all, further tribute the build quality of these devices.

re BeWeather, yes I do use but only the free version which did restore/transfer to my latest 9900 via BBSAK.
    Strangely, I was looking at buying the full version this very evening but have just read in the recent reviews about problems activating licences and of no replies from Bellshare when querying problems. Perhaps development/support has ceased?

--
    Yeah, seems like bellshare's awol for BBOS activation, at least. They & BBW take the money still, tho.
    02-16-17 06:22 PM
    so....... it damaged one of the 2 charging contacts on the bottom of the device or?? If this is what you mean then I am suprised that plastic antenna cover (that is made to look like the stainless steel) didn't break also...

No time to open & look inside, just yet, but charging pad is pressed up into the scarred plastic insulator. Might even still work if charge dock pins could reach it. ?? Might invest time to repair if I can't get BeWeather to activate on newer 9930... ??
    02-16-17 06:29 PM
    Might invest time to repair if I can't get BeWeather to activate on newer 9930... ??
    Let us know whether you make any progress with Bellshare and the BeWeather activation. Their website is still live but it doesn't look very active.
    If you have enough spares around you could swap your motherboard into a new chassis, that way you take software apps with you into your replacement device. However, not sure where/how the charging pins connect to the m'board, so that might not work.

--
    02-17-17 02:23 AM
    No time to open & look inside, just yet, but charging pad is pressed up into the scarred plastic insulator. Might even still work if charge dock pins could reach it. ?? Might invest time to repair if I can't get BeWeather to activate on newer 9930... ??
    I also noticed some problems with BeWeather installation of full version. Can't reach ther Bellshare servers. Only free version works for me.
    02-17-17 03:00 AM
8,754 ... 186187188189190 ...