Curious to know why 9900/30 users pick the phone instead of the Classic?
    It's hard to explain why. After all, Bold 9900 is a 5 years old antique of antiques, and of all antique phones. it's a Blackberry LOL.
    There is no better person to explain this than Steve, and in a way, his Avatar tells it all!

People who use or stick to the Bold 9900 are not dumb but I would say they are rather more experienced people who can sift through nonsense and see the real value of communication device. No, it still does not answer your question. To me, it's a more refined usability than other fancy devices. In my opinion, if you really really analyze the value of communication device, and after compromising all your past belief, I found the Bold 9900 has so many strengths that other fancy ones do not have. Specifically, adding what Steve said, it's mostly about its user interface whic makes you more efficient in most business scenes. Yes, its all about communications such as email, text and yes, phone! But beyond that, it is what's hidden under antiquated menu system and way to manipulate it with keyboard and tool belt. Most everything you normally encounter in communcation situation is right there at your fingertip. Yes, it's browser is slow and all that, but that's what I say is "compromise" You can't have it all (I still wonder why there is not a single smartphone that has it all), but you weigh in pros and cons after "using it extensively", you will learn where to compromise in order to benefit from strong points of the Bold 9900. I know I am still not responding to your very legitimate question well. It is difficult to explain without going through each specific occasions where Bolds are superior.
    Re Classic. this was a brainchild of John Chen when he became CEO and immediatelly got a year full of complaint from corporate executive and others for throwing away BBOS and came up with BB10. There, there is another reason why large number of people are still sticking to BBOS, not just for the security of BIS/BES. So, Che came up with Classic, but alas, it was no "Bold 2", because it still did not duplicate the BBOS UI, replaceable battery and so forth.

When BB10 came out, there was a huge uproar about it. I have a feeling that BBRY, even including Chen himself, still does not understand why there is such a huge population of Bold holdouts. I do not understand why they do not understand it.
    One Canadian newspaper (Globe & Mail) famously coined a word "moments of little delight" that was taken away from BBOS when BB10 came out.
    It's an interesting read. I cannot immediate find the article by Googling keywords, but this may be the one.

How BlackBerry blew it: The inside story - The Globe and Mail
    01-31-17 06:05 PM
    Great article! Long though. I saved it for continued reading.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-31-17 06:38 PM
    How does webOS compare to bb7? Were there ever any good phones running it, as I heard most of these devices were underpowered? I'm seeing palm pixi for like $10 on ebay. I don't need one (9930 rocks!), but prices like that give me a "kid in a candy store" twitch.

01-31-17 07:34 PM
    ...It's hard to explain why. ...People who use or stick to the Bold 9900 are not dumb but I would say they are rather more experienced people who can sift through nonsense and see the real value of communication device. No, it still does not answer your question.
    I like Steve's description of the 9900 gang as "enthusiasts." It's certainly true that many of us have excellent practical reasons for continuing to use a "legacy" device, but there's also the fact that using the Bold is FUN -- discussing the different attributes and ways to use this great device (despite its relative age) with other "enthusiasts" is truly enjoyable.

...When BB10 came out, there was a huge uproar about it. I have a feeling that BBRY, even including Chen himself, still does not understand why there is such a huge population of Bold holdouts.
    My impression has always been that Chen was a true believer in BlackBerry 10, and genuinely wanted it to be a success. Despite the popular notion that "Chen always wanted" to make BlackBerry a software company, I interpreted his statements as indicating a strong desire to keep making devices.

I do agree he didn't really have a handle on why BBOS users were _so_ passionate about their gear -- but you gotta admit, the decision to restart the Bold line in 2014 was more than a polite nod to that group.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    xanadome and mushroom_daddy like this.
    01-31-17 07:35 PM
    It's hard to explain why. After all, Bold 9900 is a 5 years old antique of antiques, and of all antique phones. it's a Blackberry LOL.
    There is no better person to explain this than Steve, and in a way, his Avatar tells it all!

People who use or stick to the Bold 9900 are not dumb but I would say they are rather more experienced people who can sift through nonsense and see the real value of communication device. No, it still does not answer your question. To me, it's a more refined usability than other fancy devices. In my opinion, if you really really analyze the value of communication device, and after compromising all your past belief, I found the Bold 9900 has so many strengths that other fancy ones do not have. Specifically, adding what Steve said, it's mostly about its user interface whic makes you more efficient in most business scenes. Yes, its all about communications such as email, text and yes, phone! But beyond that, it is what's hidden under antiquated menu system and way to manipulate it with keyboard and tool belt. Most everything you normally encounter in communcation situation is right there at your fingertip. Yes, it's browser is slow and all that, but that's what I say is "compromise" You can't have it all (I still wonder why there is not a single smartphone that has it all), but you weigh in pros and cons after "using it extensively", you will learn where to compromise in order to benefit from strong points of the Bold 9900. I know I am still not responding to your very legitimate question well. It is difficult to explain without going through each specific occasions where Bolds are superior.
    Re Classic. this was a brainchild of John Chen when he became CEO and immediatelly got a year full of complaint from corporate executive and others for throwing away BBOS and came up with BB10. There, there is another reason why large number of people are still sticking to BBOS, not just for the security of BIS/BES. So, Che came up with Classic, but alas, it was no "Bold 2", because it still did not duplicate the BBOS UI, replaceable battery and so forth.

When BB10 came out, there was a huge uproar about it. I have a feeling that BBRY, even including Chen himself, still does not understand why there is such a huge population of Bold holdouts. I do not understand why they do not understand it.
    One Canadian newspaper (Globe & Mail) famously coined a word "moments of little delight" that was taken away from BBOS when BB10 came out.
    It's an interesting read. I cannot immediate find the article by Googling keywords, but this may be the one.

How BlackBerry blew it: The inside story - The Globe and Mail
    Good article link and I think you should actually post it in the general forum also as some sort of a history reference guide, because most people still argue about some of these points the article mentions.

I think a big reason why people stick with and love BBOS devices is because they got more and more speedy, and slightly bigger, and people like myself who had an older 9780 basically wanted more of the same so when the 9900 for example came out it was the holy Grail for those of us who truly wanted to continue with the "little delights" we had. Even if it took us four years later until 2015 to realize it. I did sample and use a 9790 in 2013 to alleviate some of the stress but unfortunately that device only lasted 4 months.

I would never even begin to imply that anyone that uses one is "dumb" but that is the emotion we had to deal with when commenting in here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...crazy-1055710/

But just the sheer raw fun that they are involving the keyboard, hearing those clicks. The fact that the speed of the device doesn't get any slower, for me it seems, because there are no constant app updates to bog it down.

It just is what it is and it still does it well. I am not one for getting bored because the menus or navigation is too familiar or seems outdated. If it works it works, and that is what I care about. I think it still the best for email and quick texting and when I have to reply I actually look forward to doing it with a BBOS device. With a glass slab and the lack of physical connection you have with entering data on these, it's more like work than fun or something you would look forward to.

I'm just glad that the apps I need or use the most like Twitter and Facebook are still working OK, but after using something like an iPhone and trading sims back and forth, you appreciate taking a break from all these notifications on the glass slab. I seem to run in cycles where I need the physical keyboard, and then the trade-off is I need some apps on the iphone, and then the cycle repeats itself. Wash rinse lather repeat.

I honestly think that it is good I use different devices otherwise I might well have not appreciated the stress free nature and simplicity of using a BlackBerry. It's like test driving a car we don't just buy the first one we drive, we sample a few first.

Ps: I just talked to Rogers a couple of hours ago because I had a question about setting up at data overusage alert option that I am now able to take advantage of with my new plan, I asked about switching Sims to the BlackBerry and they said that is no problem I am good to go. So I like that Rogers has no end in sight for continuing to support BIS and providing Bliss when needed.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-31-17 at 09:52 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-31-17 09:02 PM
    I like Steve's description of the 9900 gang as "enthusiasts." It's certainly true that many of us have excellent practical reasons for continuing to use a "legacy" device, but there's also the fact that using the Bold is FUN -- discussing the different attributes and ways to use this great device (despite its relative age) with other "enthusiasts" is truly enjoyable.

My impression has always been that Chen was a true believer in BlackBerry 10, and genuinely wanted it to be a success. Despite the popular notion that "Chen always wanted" to make BlackBerry a software company, I interpreted his statements as indicating a strong desire to keep making devices.

I do agree he didn't really have a handle on why BBOS users were _so_ passionate about their gear -- but you gotta admit, the decision to restart the Bold line in 2014 was more than a polite nod to that group.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Bloody hell. I started a response to this on my iPad, got stuck correcting a dozen typos, and then the whole thing froze up on me! Grr. Served me right. Lost the whole message.

I have now switched to a BlackBerry device. Smooth sailing...

Anyways, what I had wanted to ask was, what do people think would happen if the Bold were to be re-released again in 2017? What new features might it have yet remain the same device we all love? How much would it cannibalize mercury sales?

My wish for a 2017 Bold would be better battery with longer life (although I get a week with mine), fully functional BIS-free mode, updated certs on the native browser (although I can get by with opera), and... uh... that's it really. The device looks so well the way it is.

01-31-17 09:30 PM
    ...Anyways, what I had wanted to ask was, what do people think would happen if the Bold were to be re-released again in 2017? What new features might it have yet remain the same device we all love? How much would it cannibalize mercury sales?
    The updated browser, for sure. I've always liked BIS heh heh I kinda like having the blackberry.net email address... I'd LOVE to see a Bold with the BlackBerry 10 capacitive keyboard, with the full kb predictive software. BlackBerry 10 is an amazing OS, and I'd love to see a version with the calendar and other features BBOS users love.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-31-17 10:05 PM
    If anyone has "tunein radio"on their BlackBerry or iPhone right now, on my favourite radio channel they're talking about data mining and privacy and it's an older show and even predicted that people getting emails in their car and that would be dangerous.....

I'm listening to @u7radio on @TuneIn. #NowPlaying
    http://tun.in/se8Fy
    01-31-17 10:40 PM
    ... predicted that people getting emails in their car and that would be dangerous....
    Adding all the "tech" in cars -- so people can "stay connected" <eyeball roll> -- needlessly adds to the cost, and the inherent driver distractions provide an excuse to ram autonomous driving software down everyone's throat, increasing costs even more and requiring the kind of car/network interaction that means the government can track everywhere you drive even better than with all those traffic cams.

anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-31-17 10:57 PM
    Adding all the "tech" in cars -- so people can "stay connected" <eyeball roll> -- needlessly adds to the cost, and the inherent driver distractions provide an excuse to ram autonomous driving software down everyone's throat, increasing costs even more and requiring the kind of car/network interaction that means the government can track everywhere you drive even better than with all those traffic cams.

Not to mention you can bet that the insurance companies are going to eventually skyrocket the rates for our manually driven cars to get us out of them, similar to what they did in the early 70s with the muscle car because they deemed them dangerous.
    01-31-17 11:14 PM
    LOL peeps talking in the other forums about missing the "good old days" with the older devices and having fun figuring out all the "issues and functions" but we are still living that HERE.

The Good Old Days are still with us

9900/9930 <3

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-01-17 01:58 AM
    How does webOS compare to bb7? Were there ever any good phones running it, as I heard most of these devices were underpowered? I'm seeing palm pixi for like $10 on ebay. I don't need one (9930 rocks!), but prices like that give me a "kid in a candy store" twitch.
    I think that Shuswap is the CB genius best placed to answer this one ...
    02-01-17 03:54 AM
    My wish for a 2017 Bold would be better battery with longer life (although I get a week with mine), fully functional BIS-free mode, updated certs on the native browser (although I can get by with opera), and... uh... that's it really. The device looks so well the way it is.
    Idealistically, I probably wouldn't change that much. I'm not unhappy with BIS although I'd like a better implementation of ActiveSync across all Email & Calendar hosts. The existing pocket size, form factor is one of the key reasons I remain with the 9900, so (for me) bigger isn't necessarily better and an interchangeable battery remains high on my list of wants. I like the menu driven BB OS7, that coupled with the trackpad and toolbar remains a highly effective & productive interface .... BUT an updated browser would be essential and a revision of the underpinning OS to allow access to a wider range of apps would be absolutely critical to a broader success in 2017.
    But that's all fantasy thinking, because it's not going to happen ....
    David Tyler likes this.
    02-01-17 04:14 AM
    Sorry for question, but I have a problem with Spotify app for Bold 9900. When I had Premium account solo, it works - I could log in, etc.
    Now I get a Spotify Family Premium, and I have a problem - can't log in - says I have wrong password...
    David Tyler, I heard you have Family Premium Spotify, can you log in to Spotify via 9900?
    02-01-17 04:31 AM
    For those using OneMediaHub as a workaround to cloud-sync multiple calendars, today I received the following email from OneMediaHub announcing end-of-life for their legacy calendar sync service, meaning this workaround will no longer be available to you.

ONEMEDIAHUB CALENDAR END OF LIFE

Dear OneMediaHub user,*

The OneMediaHub calendar sync legacy service has reached its end of life and will no longer be offered or supported in future versions of the product starting with OneMediaHub Version 18.1.

How will you be impacted?
    The Android and iOS mobile apps as well as the Windows computer app will no longer sync calendars and reference to calendar will be removed from these apps. Calendar will also be removed from*the Web app for all users except for users who have at least one new calendar event within the past 12 months or within the next 12 months. For the small percentage of existing users with recent*calendar events, they will still be able to view their calendar within the Web app, however, it will no longer be synched to their devices. In future versions of the product (e.g. OneMediaHub Version 19),*calendar will also be removed from the Web app for all users.

What can you do?
    You may wish to export your existing calendar. In such a case, the following options may be offered:

** *• If synching calendar to Outlook via the Windows app, you may export your calendar from Outlook

** *• If synching calendar to your mobile device only, you may be directed to third party 'calendar export' mobile apps available in respective stores on Android and iOS (e.g. iCal Import/Export CalDAV in Google*Play)

** *• As a last resort, you may contact tech support to get your calendar exported and sent to you.

We are available for any questions that you may have on this topic.

Onwards and upwards,
    Funambol Support Team
    02-01-17 06:55 AM
    David Tyler, I heard you have Family Premium Spotify, can you log in to Spotify via 9900?
    I do indeed have Spotify Premium, and it seems to be working for me this morning. I sure hope you can figure out the solution (and that it's something simple)!

02-01-17 08:29 AM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bb9900.jpg
    Its a shame BB stopped updating the OS on these babies, i just pulled this out of its box today and got that older but still useful feeling again.
    I loved this BB9900 still looks brand new from the day i purchased on release day.
    anon(9721108) and David Tyler like this.
    02-01-17 11:09 AM
    ...I loved this BB9900 still looks brand new from the day i purchased on release day.
    That's a beauty. Love the wallpaper, too -- do you have a link to it?

While you're cheering on your team, btw, just remember -- Matthews grew up in Arizona. Go Coyotes!
    02-01-17 12:05 PM

webOS is still very functional and has certain advantages over BB7.
    1. It is a very open system, based on -- but not completely -- open source, and so users can create patches to fix apps and system functions. For example, users have created certificate update patches and programs, which means that webOS does not have the same certificate problems that BB7 is beginning to experience.
    2. It does not require BIS. MS Exchange ActiveSync is still fully functional, so you can add your email accounts without difficulty.
    3. There are some great apps that are still maintained. "Forums" -- a Tapatalk client -- is one of the best, but there are many others. Of course, a lot of apps are unmaintained, and these are ceasing to work over time, just like BB7 apps. MojoWhatsup (a Whatsapp client) stopped working about a year ago. Many of the other messenger clients have also ceased functioning.
    4. Another positive is that there is a free repository of something like 5-6000 apps.

On the negative side:
    1. HP took the webOS servers down over a year ago. Activation of a webOS handset requires a workaround -- but it's not that difficult.
    2. Since the system is abandoned, there are a lot of user workarounds required and patches to install. There's a learning curve. There's a lot of reading to do. But there's a great community to help you out, and a lot of good guides on webOS Nation and PivotCE.
    3. If you want to contribute code, learning to patch and edit the existing programs is a Byzantine process, since Palm/HP used the Mojo and Enyo Javascript frameworks, both of which might be described charitably as "unique." Even worse, the Enyo documentation leaves a LOT to be desired. A lot of the OS commands are unique too (all kinds of "luna-send" commands, etc.), and not very well documented. I've often learned things by stumbling upon them in forum threads.
    4. The browser is awful at this point. Dreadful. Horrible.
    5. Did I mention that the browser is awful?

As for hardware, I believe the Pixi can be updated to webOS 2.1. I'm not sure if the certificate updates work on 2.1. They might. You'd have to read up on that. More recent handsets can be updated to webOS 2.2.4. The HP Pre3 is the best handset in terms of specs, but my friend has a Pre2, and it seems snappy enough.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    02-01-17 12:49 PM
    Got the wallpaper from bb world and yep Austin (Powers) Matthews is a JEM of a player.
    its been a very long time for us Leafs fans to finally have something to cheer for.
    02-01-17 01:53 PM
    ...its been a very long time for us Leafs fans to finally have something to cheer for.
    Believe me, I feel your pain!

02-01-17 01:59 PM
    hi to all . I have an heavy memory leaks in 1 day my 9900 eat all memory ...
    any suggestion?

02-01-17 02:12 PM
    any suggestion?

I think the quickest way to get the memory back is to take the battery out and put it back into the phone to make it reboot, this brings the memory back and makes the phone work faster, i notice if i'm using the chat option in facebook more often i need to reboot the phone everyday which isn't a problem.

02-01-17 02:20 PM
    Would using the auto-sleep function or daily cache clearing accomplish the same thing?

02-01-17 02:43 PM
    any suggestion?

Suggestions
    1. Make sure that you are running the latest version of OS7.1 as those were much better at handling memory leaks.
    2. Use an app like Advance OS & LED to automate regular memory flushing and nightly reboots
    02-01-17 03:12 PM
8,754 ... 182183184185186 ...