I'm taking it slowly with setting up my new 9900 (#3). Finished thoroughly testing the device and everything seems to work well, so very happy with the purchase.
    Next task is to update the OS to my favoured v1098, then to add third party apps. So it may take a few days before I get around to using this as my main handset; my #2 Bold still does most of what I need, only the camera is defective.
    I remember thinking it would only take a few days to do mine but then I spent the better part of maybe a month googling everything from scratch to learn what everything meant for the setup. But that was half the fun if I didn't know what something was I didn't mind doing it because it was worth it I always wanted a legendary 9900 so.

Anyway some good news today I walked into a Rogers cellular shop at the mall and The girl working there asked what I pay every month, and it was too much, needless to say now you can change plans with Rogers without signing another two-year contract. For the better part of 11 months I didn't even go because I thought I would have to lock-in for another two years. So she got me on a month-to-month basis on a new "plan "and I actually get more. And it's $15 cheaper. So I will get Canada wide unlimited long distance instead of the old my10 that I had before. I also get voicemail and I set that up tonight that's kind of cool. Locally to retrieve messages is free but if I'm in another city that I have to pay a little long distance but I would just deactivate it when I travel. And I am also able to set a text alert from my data usage but I can't figure it out, and I still get five gigs. The cool thing about Rogers now is you can't go up to 15 GB for data! Oh and I get Spotify music app the premium edition if I want for six months, but I'm actually OK with the regular Spotify and commercials. I still prefer the TuneIn radio app on the 9900.

So it was a pretty good day

Man I'm trying to even remember how you do voicemail on a 9900. I can't even remember what the notifications look like.
    01-30-17 12:23 AM
    Man I'm trying to even remember how you do voicemail on a 9900. I can't even remember what the notifications look like.
    Come on Ralph, you need some 'Bold Therapy' - put down that iPhone and cleanse your mind with the 9900
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-30-17 02:40 AM

Anyway, I don't want to further hijack this excellent and intelligent Bold thread further, so I leave it to y'all to ponder the Bold future in a changed world. And yes, BBM is still an excellent messaging service.
    Just want you to know that your hijacking also helps make this thread an excellent and intelligent one.

Posted from my  Passport
    idssteve likes this.
    01-30-17 08:04 AM
    You should see some of the conspiracy theories over on bb10 side!
    I've got three BlackBerry 10 devices; I'm currently using the Passport as my daily driver -- and the BlackBerry 10 device and OS forums are just too negative. The know-it-alls and Android fans lay on the mockery and derision thick and heavy. I check in very infrequently.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-30-17 08:09 AM
    At least we CAN buy batteries for our 99s... Just me and my 99 to face the lonesome wilderness... Lol.
    I got back from business travel to find a belated Christmas present on my desk:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-battery.jpg

The lonesome wilderness will be less lonesome with this baby! The (included) cover in place:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-cover.png
    01-30-17 08:31 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	416700

The lonesome wilderness will be less lonesome with this baby! The (included) cover in place:

Name:	Cover.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	677.4 KB 
ID:	416701
    Wow, that's awesome.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-30-17 08:37 AM
    Wow, that's awesome.
    Thanks! Upon reflection, I probably should have posted that in "Let's see what you have...!"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-30-17 09:05 AM
    Why would you need to call AT&T? I do the swap all the time, when I get back on my 9900 I just re-register Host Routing tables on my phone and good to go.
    EFATS, how do you "re-register Host Routing tables?" A friend of mine bought a Bold, but wanted to switch back and forth with his Passport -- he was put off by having to call AT&T whenever he went back to BIS. He still has his Bold, and we're both interested in the "how-to" here. Thanks!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-30-17 04:22 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170129_105935.png

I found this. Maybe it works?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-30-17 04:37 PM

I found this. Maybe it works?
    Thanks! I'll pass it on!

01-30-17 04:40 PM
    Here's something I did not know: You can play Spotify from your Bold, jump out of it to, oh, say, post on CrackBerry, and... _Spotify keeps playing_. Cool or what?

Plus, a Spotify app for the Bold actually _exists_ -- unlike for my trusty daily-driver Passport.

Last edited by David Tyler; 01-30-17 at 05:05 PM.
    01-30-17 04:51 PM
    Here's something I did not know: You can play Spotify from your Bold, jump out of it to, oh, say, post on CrackBerry, and _Spotify keeps playing_. Cool or what?

Plus, there Spotify for the Bold actually _exists_ -- unlike for my trusty daily-driver Passport.

I didn't know that about the Spotify app for OS7 devices, i haven't downloaded it yet. I think they decided not to make an OS10 app because there was lots of uncertainty at the time, Viber didn't make an app for years and when they did the physical keyboard phones weren't supported. It's great that spotify keep the OS7 app in the store after 5 years, it shows that as long as they allow the phones to use the app it will work even without subsequent updates which suggests there's ulterior motives with the Facebook, Viber and Whatsapp apps.

David Tyler likes this.
    01-30-17 04:56 PM

Name:	Battery.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	416700

Name:	Cover.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	677.4 KB 
ID:	416701
    Merry belated Christmas! Lol. My typing rate & error rate improve measurably with that battery cover... Thanks to improved positioning stability & grasp security afforded by 2nd & 3rd fingers grasping the far ledge and sometimes 1st finger grasping top ledge. If that makes sense. . That monster batt does add thick in pocket, tho, thanks to the general shape, I generally don't find it objectionable. Also, the Seidio cover loses NFC, if that's an issue. JM1s make a nicely pocketable spare. Ultimate flexibility!
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-30-17 06:36 PM
    Merry belated Christmas! Lol. My typing rate & error rate improve measurably with that battery cover... Thanks to improved positioning stability & grasp security afforded by 2nd & 3rd fingers grasping the far ledge and sometimes 1st finger grasping top ledge. If that makes sense. . That monster batt does add thick in pocket, tho, thanks to the general shape, I generally don't find it objectionable. Also, the Seidio cover loses NFC, if that's an issue. JM1s make a nicely pocketable spare. Ultimate flexibility!
    I, too, feel the typing is better with this cover. Also, I like that the Seidio cover isn't that plastic on the vanilla Bold cover: It doesn't get all smeared with oil from my hands!

01-30-17 07:53 PM
    Come on Ralph, you need some 'Bold Therapy' - put down that iPhone and cleanse your mind with the 9900
    Yeah no kidding! I'm getting so fed up with all these little app notifications it's driving me nuts. The problem is there's a few people that I can't lose touch with right now. Maybe I can make them angry and then I have an excuse ;-)
    01-30-17 11:17 PM
    And here is yet another reason for me to get off the iPhone soon because pretty soon it's going to be just like android regarding data mining…

Apple Wants Your iCloud Photos, Emails and Contacts to Make iPhones Smarter
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FCdk3
    01-30-17 11:19 PM
    Easy. Turn off all widgets and shut down all notifications. Delete social media junk. IPhone will be more tolerable.

01-31-17 12:08 AM
    Easy. Turn off all widgets and shut down all notifications. Delete social media junk. IPhone will be more tolerable.

Easier said than done buddy. It's the messaging apps that I need right now more like KakaoTalk and Snapchat, but at least SC I can put on my iPad if I had to
    01-31-17 12:21 AM
    Oh. Well, if you need the social media, I guess you can't shut them off.

I used to use Line, but notifications drove me nuts and I silenced all of them. It was great for group instant chats but in the end became a bit time-consuming.

01-31-17 01:09 AM
    ...I used to use Line, but notifications drove me nuts and I silenced all of them.
    Let me guess: iOS doesn't allow you to set up notification profiles, like BlackBerry 10 and -- of course -- BBOS?

01-31-17 05:48 AM
    I love when movies get it right.... if anyone has seen Patriots Day with Mark Wahlberg you can see the FBI using 9900/30 phones.

I love it when movies get the details right :-) most government sectors use BlackBerry OS or BB10. Mostly BB OS though...

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-31-17 08:58 AM
    Curious to know why 9900/30 users pick the phone instead of the Classic?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 09:13 AM
    Let me guess: iOS doesn't allow you to set up notification profiles, like BlackBerry 10 and -- of course -- BBOS?

Oh yeah you can turn off notifications for separate apps but if I ignored certain people right now I would just make new enemies
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-31-17 10:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    I try to use the 9900 for everything I can, it's just the last time I swapped Sims it caused a lot of trouble. And I wish that Rogers would allow me to have a second Sim card I would gladly pay more, and I asked them a few days ago but they don't allow it. Right now I'm so busy that I don't want the headache of having to do a complete set up and not having each app work until I dedicate time to getting each one running.

My iPhone is old, 5C. I still prefer and enjoy using the 9900 more, and I find the classic too big but it is nice. I don't know much about BB10 but I know that some people are experiencing similar problems with apps on BB 10 that took BBOS 5 years to have issues with.

My iPhone is having some issues with the slower processor and the constant bombardment of app update that really bog the device down. It has jammed once where I had to go get it fixed. So I anticipate using the 9900 again soon and I want to stick with it a few months until I decide what other other new device I would get.
    01-31-17 10:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    I typically carry & use a 99 and also a Classic. 99 gets carried 100% of the time. It's always with me and carries 90%, or so, of communications burden. Classic tags along as secondary carry. Probably gets carried about 50% of time but actually used about 10-15%. Mostly for browsing, Miracast, etc. That duty cycle has been increasing now that latest BB10.3.3 has matured trackpad smoothness. Classic's latest OS might be approaching 90% of latest OS7.1 UI maturity. Pretty good, coming from me. Lol.

One of my biggest complaints about Classic is its size & weight. Single handed user comfort is a BIG deal for me. I spend my life multitasking EVERYthing. Just not enough seconds in a day to waste committing both hands for communicating on an oversized glass oriented handset when one hand can perform the same communications task even better on a 99. AND I can get so many other things done with my other hand. Like feeding my face, like I'm doing this minute. Lol. It's a personality type thing. Those who get it, get it. Those who don't, don't. Lol.

My other complaint about Classic is its embedded battery. I power my 99 mostly thru battery swaps. Especially while traveling and working distant job sites. Typically swap charged spare from charger when climbing into truck in the morning. Swap again when climbing into truck on way to motel, at day's end. No carrying and worrying with wall warts and if I forgot the ones plugged in the motel room, etc, etc, ... 99 swappable battery provides true wireless freedom!!

AND wonderful versatility! I can fit a 5000mAh monster into it for 3+ day endurance during long weekends. Or, fit in a compact JM1 for enjoying 99's compact form on less stressful days.

Another thing I miss on Classic are the charging contacts. Classic has QI but inevitably complains of over heating when in QI cradles. No such energy wasting heat generated thru 99's charging contacts.

THEN, there's 99's convenience key. I program mine to pop up "Messages" when pressed. Multiple emails, texts, etc are immediately available from within virtually ANY app via simple, site unseen, press of convenience key. "Back" key brings back where left off. Even handier than Classic's excellent Hub! Imo. Thru a third party app, most 99's keys can be assigned multiple presses... On mine, first press pulls up "Messages", second press pulls up Calendar, third to Contacts, fourth to Maps... Etc. No convenience key on Classic.

I could go on, and Classic is a fine device in its own that's gotten better with OS updates but, superficial appearances aside, it's no replacement for 9900, imo ... Sort of comparing "Apples & Oranges". ... or Berries, to be more precise... Lol.

Last edited by idssteve; 01-31-17 at 04:36 PM.
    01-31-17 02:06 PM
8,754 ... 181182183184185 ...