Replacement 'pristine' 9900 will be provided by seller – hopefully I'll have more luck with the next one. I'm looking forward to getting a 'new' 9900
    My 'almost new' 9900 has arrived, and it is a beautiful thing. I have a few more tests run, but so far all looks good. It even has the plastic films on the back door, inside and out

01-28-17 03:30 AM
    Hmm, so maybe Data Mining can be A GOOD THING!!!!!

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Until someone whom you had borowed money from and haven't paid found you

Posted from my  Passport
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-28-17 05:42 AM
    so no more instagram client... then what about twitter?
    I see an update on bbworld with just one star and "not working" comment.
    I can update? or is same no go update like faceboo?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-28-17 08:40 AM

The native Twitter app works fine i have the latest from the app world i think its V5.1.08 i've been using it since last summer, somebody just doesn't like how the app works or maybe it just doesn't work on their phone for a different reason. Definitely don't update facebook, you can search online for a updated version that isn't the kill version that is in the app store, that's what i did because the pre-installed version was V2 or V3. The Chat part in the facebook app works fine so you can still use "facebook messenger" you just can't message somebody if their status is "offline" because the Messages part of the app is now unsupported but you can post, like and comment on posts too so its about 90% functional. I wish i had downloaded the Client for Instagram app before it was removed from the store.

01-28-17 08:46 AM
    I'm reading the Ed Snowdon book by Guardian journalist Luke Harding. Details the amount of data slurped by the UK GCHQ and the NSA/FBI et al, in terrifying detail. None of it makes for happy reading. The data protection laws in the UK are just ignored.

The BB0s7 phones have been 'hacked' in the sense that meta-data and calls/SMS have been intercepted, as you'd expect. There's another file buried in the Snowden disclosures which shows a PowerPoint from a company who supplies 'utils' to law enforcement agencies, sending spoof update messages to BB owners to get them to install a back-door. Uh-oh.

So, I guess we all now know that carrying any mobile phone is akin to carrying a tracker. I'm done with Skype now, after the account was mangled by the 'upgrade' to a live account. Time was in 2003 when it was secure, but now, no longer.

Tinfoil hats at the ready, amigos. Blackberry interceptions:

How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE

On the topic of PKB's and Boldness, I'm finding the on-screen keyboards quicker to use than the PKB on the Bold. It's the swipey-thing where you flick between letters leaving your paw on the screen. It's probably an age thing. :-)
    Haha... Matter of practice. Lol. I, also, never lift my thumb from PKB but rather prefer to drag across keyboard, key to key. Tactile feedback informs muscle memory that's become mostly "touch typing autonomous". Like touch typing, I think words, rather than letters. The sentences materialize on the screen, which might get visual validation per paragraph. Maybe. Almost analogous to vocal communication. ... Like anything, Just a matter of practice.

Key word, tho, being singular "thumb". I spent 9 months on a solo Z10 and still use Z30. The only way throughput on them ever challenged my single handed 99 was by engaging both thumbs, both eyes and both brain hemispheres. Lol. Typing posts over mealtime without setting fork down, or any other multitasking pursuit, is where our 99s really shine, imo. I haven't spent much quality time on droid but can see where "undivided attention" demanded by glass oriented hardware might benefit Google's advertising revenue based market model?? Something our 99s are certainly not optimized for. Imo.

I,for one, could not possibly care less about ANY supposed "benefit" derived from data mining. Like Ralph's friend, I don't willingly use G ANYthing and have NOthing to hide, by any current definition. Problem is, what global tyrant might one day re-define statements viewed as perfectly innocent today?

As an engineer, "what if?" is a job description. What if some future "Ministry of Truth" one day defines this post itself as "dangerously subversive"?? What if our greatgrand children suffer consequences of us simply READING statements made today? It's hard to look thru these past dozen millennia and not note how preciously rare, brief and precarious humanity's current experiment in freedom truly is.

I ponder the mountain of data, including GPS coordinates, Google is amassing and can't help but consider how much more efficiently "Uncle Joe" might have conducted his purges with such data availability. ??? Just color me paranoid when it comes to my grandchildren's freedom.

Again, tho, my 9900 use case efficiency has been a matter of muscle memory familiarity achieved thru years of practice. An investment of effort few ever devote. AND, one I can't justify abandoning, to date. Lol.
    01-28-17 09:32 AM
    Respectfully, that's old news, and a little suspect (in that claims of the ability to "hack a BlackBerry" are vague and unsubstantiated). In any event, I use BBM Protected (on my Bold, too) -- _that_ messaging app is truly unbeatable without a supercomputer and a lot of free time.

Using Facebook and WhatsApp, or the other "social media" platforms to post pictures of food and pretend other people care what you think -- even here, obviously -- is kinda _asking_ for your private info to be stolen or collected and exploited.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-28-17 09:56 AM
    ...There's another file buried in the Snowden disclosures which shows a PowerPoint from a company who supplies 'utils' to law enforcement agencies, sending spoof update messages to BB owners to get them to install a back-door. Uh-oh.
    Interesting. Having been in the BlackBerry community for a few years, I can tell you OS updates were -- and still are -- big deals: They are widely anticipated and discussed; the existence of leaks (in the past) and autoloader download locations are heralded in CrackBerry forums. Only a BlackBerry user in relative isolation from the community (and I'm sure many such exist; I was one myself for a few years) would fall for that one.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-28-17 11:16 AM
    ...I ponder the mountain of data, including GPS coordinates, Google is amassing and can't help but consider how much more efficiently "Uncle Joe" might have conducted his purges with such data availability. ??? Just color me paranoid when it comes to my grandchildren's freedom.
    Ditto. I'm amazed at the number of people who think Google's and Facebook's data trove is no cause for concern because, well, it's just being used for advertising.

First, I'll happily pay a fair price for a particular good or service rather than be advertised to; but that's a trivial point: The danger here is that the government _knows_ this data exists, and they have untold legal resources to compel its disclosure (as they routinely have and do).

Whether or not the government uses that data for purposes nefarious or noble depends entirely on the inclinations of human beings, who, as recognized by the Framers of the US Constitution, are all too susceptible to the siren song of lust for power.

01-28-17 11:24 AM
    Hey... if I purchase an at&t 9900 and insert my nano Sim into it, what orientation should I put the nanosim if I don't want to use a Sim adaptor? Can anyone show a picture?

Secondly, how will the phone work? I presume it will be 3g, which is good enough for me. I assume WiFi should work, but would I require BIS in order to make calls, check email natively instead of via logicmail, use BBM?

What if I DON'T use BIS? I don't want to bother calling at&t every time I swap Sim between my current passport and a hypothetical 9900.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-28-17 01:23 PM
    Hey... if I purchase an at&t 9900 and insert my nano Sim into it, what orientation should I put the nanosim if I don't want to use a Sim adaptor? Can anyone show a picture?

Secondly, how will the phone work? I presume it will be 3g, which is good enough for me. I assume WiFi should work, but would I require BIS in order to make calls, check email natively instead of via logicmail, use BBM?

What if I DON'T use BIS? I don't want to bother calling at&t every time I swap Sim between my current passport and a hypothetical 9900.
    I'm not at all sure you can use a nano-SIM in a Bold without an adapter. As for the phone, the answers are no, yes, and yes; and "see the previous three answers."

I use two SIMS -- one for the Passport and one for the Bold.

01-28-17 02:05 PM
    I'm reading the Ed Snowdon book by Guardian journalist Luke Harding. Details the amount of data slurped by the UK GCHQ and the NSA/FBI et al, in terrifying detail. None of it makes for happy reading. The data protection laws in the UK are just ignored.

The BB0s7 phones have been 'hacked' in the sense that meta-data and calls/SMS have been intercepted, as you'd expect. There's another file buried in the Snowden disclosures which shows a PowerPoint from a company who supplies 'utils' to law enforcement agencies, sending spoof update messages to BB owners to get them to install a back-door. Uh-oh.

So, I guess we all now know that carrying any mobile phone is akin to carrying a tracker. I'm done with Skype now, after the account was mangled by the 'upgrade' to a live account. Time was in 2003 when it was secure, but now, no longer.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-921161.html

On the topic of PKB's and Boldness, I'm finding the on-screen keyboards quicker to use than the PKB on the Bold. It's the swipey-thing where you flick between letters leaving your paw on the screen. It's probably an age thing. :-)
    I had quite a conversation with the guy that repairs computers iPads and MacBooks and iPhones and all kinds of electronics today who lives in my building. He has a mobile business where he goes and repairs these things and his personal phone is an android, and I told him some of the findings from this thread and he said that basically he doesn't like iPhones he can't do what he wants to do with iPhones or Apple so that's why he uses android. I didn't get into specifics but he knows about the data mining he said Apple is very bad also. He says basically nothing is safe and asked him about those VPN websites or apps and he said that I really don't need one unless I'm downloading a lot of movies.....

He mentioned a website called PIA personal Internet access I believe he said? He said that one is quite good he recommends it I'm not even sure what it does, I just thought I'd throw that out there. Interesting guy, he had some stuff to say. It was a short Convo. He said at least twice a week he has to repair an apple or some iPhones for viruses. I told him I have had very good luck with my Apple products never a problem like that but he said basically said apple is junk LOL.
    01-28-17 02:55 PM
    My 'almost new' 9900 has arrived, and it is a beautiful thing. I have a few more tests run, but so far all looks good. It even has the plastic films on the back door, inside and out

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bf7ef53baf.jpg
    Nice. How is the setup going?
    01-28-17 02:57 PM

My BlackBerry native Twitter app is working beautifully in fact it's the best app I have
    01-28-17 02:58 PM
    Haha... Matter of practice. Lol. I, also, never lift my thumb from PKB but rather prefer to drag across keyboard, key to key. Tactile feedback informs muscle memory that's become mostly "touch typing autonomous". Like touch typing, I think words, rather than letters. The sentences materialize on the screen, which might get visual validation per paragraph. Maybe. Almost analogous to vocal communication. ... Like anything, Just a matter of practice.

Key word, tho, being singular "thumb". I spent 9 months on a solo Z10 and still use Z30. The only way throughput on them ever challenged my single handed 99 was by engaging both thumbs, both eyes and both brain hemispheres. Lol. Typing posts over mealtime without setting fork down, or any other multitasking pursuit, is where our 99s really shine, imo. I haven't spent much quality time on droid but can see where "undivided attention" demanded by glass oriented hardware might benefit Google's advertising revenue based market model?? Something our 99s are certainly not optimized for. Imo.

I,for one, could not possibly care less about ANY supposed "benefit" derived from data mining. Like Ralph's friend, I don't willingly use G ANYthing and have NOthing to hide, by any current definition. Problem is, what global tyrant might one day re-define statements viewed as perfectly innocent today?

As an engineer, "what if?" is a job description. What if some future "Ministry of Truth" one day defines this post itself as "dangerously subversive"?? What if our greatgrand children suffer consequences of us simply READING statements made today? It's hard to look thru these past dozen millennia and not note how preciously rare, brief and precarious humanity's current experiment in freedom truly is.

I ponder the mountain of data, including GPS coordinates, Google is amassing and can't help but consider how much more efficiently "Uncle Joe" might have conducted his purges with such data availability. ??? Just color me paranoid when it comes to my grandchildren's freedom.

Again, tho, my 9900 use case efficiency has been a matter of muscle memory familiarity achieved thru years of practice. An investment of effort few ever devote. AND, one I can't justify abandoning, to date. Lol.
    Exactly. A friend of mine in Twitter yesterday, while I noticed that she had no more tweets. And I said what's going on are you flipping out or something? And she said that no she's paranoid because of her Trump tweets, and she's in college and she doesn't want to be affected for getting a job in the future so there is a website that she went to called TwitWipe and it takes a full day but removes every tweet you ever did, hopefully also removing the results from Google from any potential future employers. There's also a good one for Facebook.....
    01-28-17 03:03 PM
    Exactly. A friend of mine in Twitter yesterday, while I noticed that she had no more tweets. And I said what's going on are you flipping out or something? And she said that no she's paranoid because of her Trump tweets, and she's in college and she doesn't want to be affected for getting a job in the future so there is a website that she went to called TwitWipe and it takes a full day but removes every tweet you ever did, hopefully also removing the results from Google from any potential future employers. There's also a good one for Facebook.....
    It's a long time since I employed anyone but nowadays, employers routinely check social media accounts for personality traits and contact-chaining. If you've made friends with say, a mass murderer, or even Edward Snowdon or WikiLeaks you might be ruled out for some positions.

I did have a job for a military contractor over here, (I'm a Microsoft Certified Something or Other) which involved signing the Official Secrets Act, and then finding my partner's family being not-too discretely vetted. I only lasted a week, but got my security clearances. Seems once you sign the OSA, you've signed it for life. Oops!

OK, Bold content: PKB's, the User Interface, ergonomics. I use a phone in the car a lot, it has to be hands-free in the UK, just picking up the phone while you're in the driving seat results in blue lights in your mirror. The Bold works pretty well on BlueTooth, but I need a voice-activated Thing where I call out 'Phone Fred' and Fred is called, without touching the phone. 'Hey Cortana!" doesn't work on 9900's.

What do you guys use?
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-29-17 at 02:19 AM.
    01-29-17 01:27 AM
    Respectfully, that's old news, and a little suspect (in that claims of the ability to "hack a BlackBerry" are vague and unsubstantiated). In any event, I use BBM Protected (on my Bold, too) -- _that_ messaging app is truly unbeatable without a supercomputer and a lot of free time.

!

One of the more substantiated claims about accessing BBM came after the 2011 London riots, when BBM was accused of 'fuelling social unrest.' At that time Blackberry Curves were the 'cheap' phone over here, and 'teens' used BBM en masse before the rise of FaceBook et al. While live messaging went un-intercepted, (at that time) messages could be retrieved easily from 'locked' phones confiscated from suspects under arrest. (The easiest point of access.)

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ter-blackberry

Latterly BlackBerry confirmed that they gave law enforcement access to BBM files when requested. No need to decrypt.

Today there are several access methods to retrieve BBM messages even from a locked phone, so what we think of as 'secure' is probably five or more years out of date. One security 'penetration tester' remarked recently that as things stand, (2016) BB10 is more secure than BB7 or iPhones, with Windows 10 phones being the most difficult to enter, but not intercept (more so than DTek.) I don't have the personal experience to validate this, other than firewall exit logs, which seem to bear this out..

One of the key pointers to pinpointing Bin Laden's house was its lack of interconnects; no phone lines, internet, or mobile phones with several extended families living there. While we think we are secure, a lack of meta-data is now immediately suspicious.

As said, previously, the mal-doers now realise all this, as do the messaging companies, Viber, Telegram, and WhatsApp all encrypt content end-to-end, but idiotically, use the mobile number as an indent.

I love the other quotes 'that I have nothing to hide'. The point being that mass and covert surveillance undermines the USA constitution, and various Acts in the UK and Europe, but it's easier for many to adopt a 'so-what' attitude, rather than examine the full implications. Following the Snowden revelations, all the major data-miners including Google, encrypted their internal server links, where previously they were mostly in clear-text, giving contract staff full access to messages and data. No supercomputer needed.

Anyway, I don't want to further hijack this excellent and intelligent Bold thread further, so I leave it to y'all to ponder the Bold future in a changed world. And yes, BBM is still an excellent messaging service.
    01-29-17 02:10 AM
    I remember the London riots well and the associated infamy of BlackBerry Messenger.

I love the other quotes 'that I have nothing to hide'. The point being that mass and covert surveillance undermines the USA constitution, and various Acts in the UK and Europe, but it's easier for many to adopt a 'so-what' attitude, rather than examine the full implications.
    I don't disagree with any of what you say regarding security & privacy, it has prompted some very interesting discussions. However, assuming (possibly from a position of inflated self-importance) that you were referring to my last post, you may have misrepresented me -- I had indicated that I don't have that much to hide.
    Obviously, I have just as much desire to maintain privacy as the next person, but I also recognise the reality that many online/mobile services are not really free to use and that a consequence of using such services (where you don't pay) will be possible/probable data mining.

My point was simply, if you need to keep it secret (and you don't want it to ever to be used against you*) don't do it with your phone.

*this is now the downfall of many, where throw-away tweets and posts can result in job loss, failure to secure new jobs, or even worse....
    01-29-17 04:04 AM
    I remember the London riots well and the associated infamy of BlackBerry Messenger.
    Just in case this is mined by the authorities, I should add that ....
    during the London riots, I was on holiday with my family in Wales, and I didn't have a BlackBerry in 2011
    01-29-17 04:16 AM
    One of the more substantiated claims about accessing BBM came after the 2011 London riots, when BBM was accused of 'fuelling social unrest.' At that time Blackberry Curves were the 'cheap' phone over here, and 'teens' used BBM en masse before the rise of FaceBook et al. While live messaging went un-intercepted, (at that time) messages could be retrieved easily from 'locked' phones confiscated from suspects under arrest. (The easiest point of access.)

Latterly BlackBerry confirmed that they gave law enforcement access to BBM files when requested. No need to decrypt.
    Right; that's exactly the kind of thing I mean -- first, encrypting phone contents (first time I ever saw that option was on a BlackBerry) probably wasn't tops on the to-do list of rioting teens; and second, vanilla BBM isn't end-to-end encrypted, so if BlackBerry sees fit to aid law enforcement, they can (not the case with BBM Protected). Neither of those situations involve someone being handed an encrypted BlackBerry and returning a disk with the phone's contents in clear text (not that that's impossible).

01-29-17 08:12 AM
    I love the other quotes 'that I have nothing to hide'. The point being that mass and covert surveillance undermines the USA constitution, and various Acts in the UK and Europe, but it's easier for many to adopt a 'so-what' attitude, rather than examine the full implications.
    EXACTLY -- no barbs directed at you, mushroom_daddy! (or anyone else, for that matter; and THANKS, Sue-zz, for the excellent discussion)

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-29-17 08:15 AM
    Nice. How is the setup going?
    I'm taking it slowly with setting up my new 9900 (#3). Finished thoroughly testing the device and everything seems to work well, so very happy with the purchase.
    Next task is to update the OS to my favoured v1098, then to add third party apps. So it may take a few days before I get around to using this as my main handset; my #2 Bold still does most of what I need, only the camera is defective.
    01-29-17 09:31 AM

Why would you need to call AT&T? I do the swap all the time, when I get back on my 9900 I just re-register Host Routing tables on my phone and good to go.
    01-29-17 12:25 PM
    It's a long time since I employed anyone but nowadays, employers routinely check social media accounts for personality traits and contact-chaining. If you've made friends with say, a mass murderer, or even Edward Snowdon or WikiLeaks you might be ruled out for some positions.

I did have a job for a military contractor over here, (I'm a Microsoft Certified Something or Other) which involved signing the Official Secrets Act, and then finding my partner's family being not-too discretely vetted. I only lasted a week, but got my security clearances. Seems once you sign the OSA, you've signed it for life. Oops!

OK, Bold content: PKB's, the User Interface, ergonomics. I use a phone in the car a lot, it has to be hands-free in the UK, just picking up the phone while you're in the driving seat results in blue lights in your mirror. The Bold works pretty well on BlueTooth, but I need a voice-activated Thing where I call out 'Phone Fred' and Fred is called, without touching the phone. 'Hey Cortana!" doesn't work on 9900's.

What do you guys use?
    blackberry model VM-605 and it works perfectly for voice dialing. But if you're expecting something like Siri text Frank… Forget it.
    01-30-17 12:08 AM

Today there are several access methods to retrieve BBM messages even from a locked phone, so what we think of as 'secure' is probably five or more years out of date. One security 'penetration tester' remarked recently that as things stand, (2016) BB10 is more secure than BB7 or iPhones, with Windows 10 phones being the most difficult to enter, but not intercept (more so than DTek.) I don't have the personal experience to validate this, other than firewall exit logs, which seem to bear this out..

One of the key pointers to pinpointing Bin Laden's house was its lack of interconnects; no phone lines, internet, or mobile phones with several extended families living there. While we think we are secure, a lack of meta-data is now immediately suspicious.

As said, previously, the mal-doers now realise all this, as do the messaging companies, Viber, Telegram, and WhatsApp all encrypt content end-to-end, but idiotically, use the mobile number as an indent.

I love the other quotes 'that I have nothing to hide'. The point being that mass and covert surveillance undermines the USA constitution, and various Acts in the UK and Europe, but it's easier for many to adopt a 'so-what' attitude, rather than examine the full implications. Following the Snowden revelations, all the major data-miners including Google, encrypted their internal server links, where previously they were mostly in clear-text, giving contract staff full access to messages and data. No supercomputer needed.

Anyway, I don't want to further hijack this excellent and intelligent Bold thread further, so I leave it to y'all to ponder the Bold future in a changed world. And yes, BBM is still an excellent messaging service.
    This is no hijack, this is a conversation that everyone on BlackBerry should be watching and your posts are very informative and interesting.
    01-30-17 12:11 AM
    I've been trying to finish a spy thriller for the past two weeks, but honestly, it's more entertaining and also educational to read many of the messages on the CB forum. You should see some of the conspiracy theories over on bb10 side!

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-30-17 12:19 AM
8,754 ... 180181182183184 ...