Ah, I forgot the wifi router.
    And I've got a good stock of BBOS phones, almost every GSM models. Still looking for some nice 9900 though.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-26-17 08:10 AM
    Or, just get a feature phone. Dirt cheap, totally secured from the Google.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-26-17 09:15 AM
    They are in a box somewhere on one of the shelves.

Got a friend working for a government agency who is not allowed to carry a smart phone. No smart phone passes the gate to his office complex. Must make a kind of a 'black hole' on Google radar.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-26-17 11:16 AM
    Deleted due to double posting
    01-26-17 11:16 AM
    Just picked up a 9900 to play with but the lock button doesn't work. I know I can lock the screen holding the "A" button and heard that the "unlock pro" app can unlock it but I can't get the unlocks swipe to open feature to work without actually unlocking the screen first (by holding the power button for a few seconds then pressing back before it powers down- which renders it useless)
    Am I doing something wrong? Or any other suggestions?
    01-26-17 11:30 AM
    Just picked up a 9900 to play with but the lock button doesn't work. I know I can lock the screen holding the "A" button and heard that the "unlock pro" app can unlock it but I can't get the unlocks swipe to open feature to work without actually unlocking the screen first (by holding the power button for a few seconds then pressing back before it powers down- which renders it useless)
    I'm guessing you're talking about getting the phone to light up from a sleep state, so you can get the swipe screen to appear? If so, try using any of the number keys, that should wake the device. I don't know of any other way to get past the "keypad locked" message that would typically appear if the phone is awoken without the top button
    01-26-17 11:44 AM
    Tried that but it doesn't work. You still need to unlock the screen before then swiping to unlock. Pointless app imo
    01-26-17 12:24 PM
    Get a holster for your 9900 with magnet inside. It will block/unblock when you will get it inside.
    01-26-17 02:27 PM
    Even as I type this I can pause and press the steel lock button for a split second and the phone blacks out in lock mode. Another quick milli-second press of the same button and my screen resumes where I left off while commenting this. I sometimes do use the "A" button but that requires slightly longer to press and hold to lock.

But your steel button at the top should have the authority to quickly unlock, so not sure what is going on with yours. When I first got my 9900 I figured I had to dig my fingernail into it pretty deep to unlock but I learned to do it easily with the fleshy part of any finger now and it doesnt take much effort.

Can you return it??

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-26-17 04:39 PM
    If you've a got an Android-Thing in the house connected to the wifi, then it will send the router SSID and nearby others, plus GPS location data, and your service's IP address to Google. So it might be hard to pin down what the Dtek is doing.

We've got a Windows 10 phone on test here (Lumia 650). It feeds a stack of data back to Microsoft and app developers (contacts and location mainly) so we're kinda at the stage where the BisBerrys represent the least 'leaky' smart-phones still available, followed by BB10 devices. I haven't found a firewall app for WP10 phones, as yet.

Buy your BisBerry now, while stocks last, as they say.
    I'm wondering if the 9900 Leaks less data because there simply arent as many apps for it as the newer devices?

Another thought is Facebook......we KNOW they sell our info to companies, I started getting several random survey and buisness calls when I did something on Facebook or set up my phone number there for a security override in case I get hacked, you can use our cell number to retake control of our FB accounts BUT I wonder if there is a difference using say......Facebook on a new device compared to our 9900's? My guess is there is probably NOT much difference because Facebook is Facebook. Perhaps there are differences in the apps regarding different devices? For example, maybe because an app like Facebook for BBOS was not updated in a while, maybe they do not track all the info as much?

Same for using Google......?

Thoughts?

01-26-17 04:49 PM
    I'm wondering if the 9900 Leaks less data because there simply arent as many apps for it as the newer devices?

Another thought is Facebook......we KNOW they sell our info to companies, I started getting several random survey and buisness calls when I did something on Facebook or set up my phone number there for a security override in case I get hacked, you can use our cell number to retake control of our FB accounts BUT I wonder if there is a difference using say......Facebook on a new device compared to our 9900's? My guess is there is probably NOT much difference because Facebook is Facebook. Perhaps there are differences in the apps regarding different devices? For example, maybe because an app like Facebook for BBOS was not updated in a while, maybe they do not track all the info as much?

Same for using Google......?

Thoughts?

Security is defined in the mind of the data owner. So if he/she is on FaceBook, Twitter, and all the others, every post is an erosion of 'privacy'. Almost every electronic conversation posts at least fourteen pieces of metadata, which is often more revealing than the post itself. It's this data which is routinely collected. It might not be analysed unless the sender creates a 'trigger', but much can be inferred from it.

FaceBook and its use of voice-analysis is causing many apocryphal comments: 'I was talking to my wife about skiing last night, and today ads for skiing holidays popped up' and so on. MS's Cortana knows my address, date of birth, all my contacts, my SMS messages, my location, and my email content. BlackBerry too, we must presume

As said in another post , if you don't want to become a 'data subject', don't use a smart-phone, or turn of the data modem. The other tactic is to hide in plain sight, keep up the FB feed and the tweets, while the nefarious plotting goes on 'off-web'.

Adults can make choices about what data they emit, but kids can't, and usually, don't. This is more than worrying, but what parent can resist the pressure from their kids for a smartphone? No average 14-year-old will want a BisBerry.

I posted the 'service tag' of my Dell computer in a Tweet a few months ago as an experiment. It took a month, but I started getting phishing phone calls from a 'Dell Account Manager' (not) asking for me by name, quoting the service tag back to me as evidence that they were legit. The big question is how they linked the service tag with my phone number, logged only at Dell.

So, it seems to me that the only way of staying 'private' without the use of VPNs, TOR route-ing and end-to-end encryption is to either become an electronic hermit, or lock the phone down with an outgoing permissions-based firewall. (Dtek, WileyFox-CyanMod, Android NetGuard etc.) Then many of the apps we use won't work. ;-) Two-factor validation of accounts is another, but most of the web pages we access aren't encrypted end-to-end.

I don't yet have an iPhone to analyse.
    01-27-17 02:12 AM
    The steal button at the top is totally inactive. I bought it on ebay and the seller is going to send me another 9900. He said I could keep this for parts but just wondered if there was an easy fix
    01-27-17 02:37 AM
    Security is defined in the mind of the data owner. So if he/she is on FaceBook, Twitter, and all the others, every post is an erosion of 'privacy'. Almost every electronic conversation posts at least fourteen pieces of metadata, which is often more revealing than the post itself. It's this data which is routinely collected. It might not be analysed unless the sender creates a 'trigger', but much can be inferred from it.

FaceBook and its use of voice-analysis is causing many apocryphal comments: 'I was talking to my wife about skiing last night, and today ads for skiing holidays popped up' and so on. MS's Cortana knows my address, date of birth, all my contacts, my SMS messages, my location, and my email content. BlackBerry too, we must presume

As said in another post , if you don't want to become a 'data subject', don't use a smart-phone, or turn of the data modem. The other tactic is to hide in plain sight, keep up the FB feed and the tweets, while the nefarious plotting goes on 'off-web'.

Adults can make choices about what data they emit, but kids can't, and usually, don't. This is more than worrying, but what parent can resist the pressure from their kids for a smartphone? No average 14-year-old will want a BisBerry.

I posted the 'service tag' of my Dell computer in a Tweet a few months ago as an experiment. It took a month, but I started getting phishing phone calls from a 'Dell Account Manager' (not) asking for me by name, quoting the service tag back to me as evidence that they were legit. The big question is how they linked the service tag with my phone number, logged only at Dell.

So, it seems to me that the only way of staying 'private' without the use of VPNs, TOR route-ing and end-to-end encryption is to either become an electronic hermit, or lock the phone down with an outgoing permissions-based firewall. (Dtek, WileyFox-CyanMod, Android NetGuard etc.) Then many of the apps we use won't work. ;-) Two-factor validation of accounts is another, but most of the web pages we access aren't encrypted end-to-end.

I don't yet have an iPhone to analyse.
    Well I think that even as adults we can make choices but the thing is we don't know everything that they do either to get our information. Actually I never thought of Twitter, I have a huge account and that could also be where the phone calls are coming from. Lately I've been getting a lot of eggs following me, and I'm sure you know what that means and they have no followers, they don't tweet, but they're following a lot of people and they might even be bots or something. My friend explain to me how pots work in Google search results, pretty interesting stuff.

So basically I guess we can assume that there really is no such thing as privacy, unless you're my friend who is basically off the grid except email he refuses Facebook and Twitter but he does go to automotive forums and has conversations on a bulletin board that just that and email is basically it.

I often tease him that he is the one that will look suspicious because he's the only one that doesn't have a Facebook ;-). (Yes I know there are some people that don't, I just kind a like to tease him about it)
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-27-17 at 04:32 AM.
    01-27-17 03:04 AM
    The steal button at the top is totally inactive. I bought it on ebay and the seller is going to send me another 9900. He said I could keep this for parts but just wondered if there was an easy fix
    That actually sounds like a pretty sweet deal, that means you'll get an extra battery too! Sounds like an honourable seller if he's going to do that so yeah I'm sure the next one will be fine.
    01-27-17 03:05 AM

.....So basically I guess we can assume that there really is no such thing as privacy, unless you're my friend who is basically off the grid except email he refuses Facebook and Twitter but he does locational he go to automotive forums and has conversations on a bulletin board that just that and email is basically it.

I often tease him that he is the one that will look suspicious because he's the only one that doesn't have a Facebook ;-). (Yes I know there are some people that don't, I just kind a like to tease him about it)
    Very suspicious. Lack of FaceBook clearly indicates a mal-doer. :-)

My Bold is the daily 'telephone' but the Windows 10 phone is stuffed with 48GB of data. It's unthinkable what's actually on it. All encrypted of course, which really means little these days when it's all backed up to MS in the Cloud. There's more data on the phone than on my laptop.

This just in, courtesy of Potus45: https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/tr...us-data-flows/
    01-27-17 04:14 AM
    Very suspicious. Lack of FaceBook clearly indicates a mal-doer. :-)

This just in, courtesy of Potus45: https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/tr...us-data-flows/
    My friend I should mention, he also refuses to get a cell phone he calls them brain cancer machines ;-)

That article is ironic especially considering this…(nuff said on that)

http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FA3p_
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-27-17 at 11:12 AM.
    01-27-17 04:37 AM
    My Bold is the daily 'telephone' but the Windows 10 phone is stuffed with 48GB of data. It's unthinkable what's actually on it. All encrypted of course, which really means little these days when it's all backed up to MS in the Cloud.
    Does Windoze force you to mirror your phone on their server?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-27-17 09:34 AM
    Does Windoze force you to mirror your phone on their server?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Windows Phone 10 (WP10) updates itself so frequently that no real definitions of what it does, or might do tomorrow are possible. Out of the box, my 2016 Lumia 650 ran Skype as an app, and I could turn off auto-updates, and access the store without an MS account.

Then it updated itself, now requires an account to access the store. Now, the auto-updates can't be turned off as in desktop W10. It does 'backup' most data including files and photos to an Outlook/Drive account. That's either sinister or welcome.

The Windows Phone 10 'tiles' interface is exceptionally pleasant and powerful to use, hugely integrated - dates embedded in SMS texts are auto-added as appointments, and so on, but as apps slowly (rapidly) disappear from the store, I get the feeling that we've all been there before.

Loss of Skype, as of yesterday, is a real downer, leaving only WhatsApp and its links to Facebook advertising as the one 'secure' messaging app left. There's Line and Telegram, but no-one I know uses them. Skype is now integrated into a Live account on WP10 so if you don't want one, you don't get Skype

So, much as I like W10 on a phone, only a die-hard Office user would buy one. A DTek is more flexible, can run Signal, and can be locked down fully with NetGuard.

But, there are buts. Apps still do as they please on Dtek; upgrading the contact list 3400 times in 24 hours:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/skype-w...ody-knows-why/

There's a lot to be said for a Bold....
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-27-17 at 12:51 PM.
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    01-27-17 11:45 AM
    Well, I figured I'd end up here sooner or later. I just picked up a UK 9900 for the price of a round of drinks, stuck in my Three UK sim and up pops BIS.

I've moved back to BISBerrys after doing some firewall analysis of what Android Marshmallow thinks is security, and am pretty horrified with the amount of data sent to Google and general and privacy intrusions. (Why does a theme manager need to read your SMS?)

I've been on a Curve 9320 for a while, It has the same excellent PIM features, but the keyboard is just too small. But, now, I can afford my first 9900, after five years, and got a 'Grade A' for £30. It has 5 days of calls in the BUYR screen, so I guess it's not quite pristine. I did have a Z10, but it didn't like being washed at 60C with a fast spin cycle.

The Three carrier in the UK has very cheap PAYG rates, 3p for a call, 2p for a text, and 1p a megabyte of data. So I can run the 9900 off contract for almost nothing.

An upside is a free [email protected] email address, which I guess is very secure over BIS.

My only worry is that BIS might be pulled from UK carriers at some point. I hear that Chen said BIS wasn't going away anytime soon, but does anyone have anymore info?

Anyway, back to the Future. The Bold 9900 is here!

Any of you guys set up a 9900 BBM Group? It's the one feature of 9900-ism I can't seem to figure out.

Attachment 415700
    £30 is a bargain,im still looking at picking up and trying another 9900 just haven't seen one for that price and having just bought another classic £30 would be an ideal price,oh well just gotta keep looking.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 04:14 PM
    ...Then it updated itself, now requires an account to access the store. Now, the auto-updates can't be turned off as in desktop W10. It does 'backup' most data including files and photos to an Outlook/Drive account. That's either sinister or welcome...
    I'm going with "sinister," especially in light of

"No one knows why," my a-ess-ess.

When, one wonders, did a phone morph from being a tool for ME to communicate into a tool for BIG DATA to sell my information??

anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    01-27-17 05:33 PM
    So tonight Facebook under the friend suggestions found a guy I used to know in college who still owes me 20 bucks! He's not even in my friend list or in my phone! I haven't talk to him in two decades. I think it's safe to say that iPhone data mines also, or allows it but I mean Facebook is Facebook we know what they do. Wow
    01-27-17 09:39 PM
    So tonight Facebook under the friend suggestions found a guy I used to know in college who still owes me 20 bucks! He's not even in my friend list or in my phone! I haven't talk to him in two decades. I think it's safe to say that iPhone data mines also, or allows it but I mean Facebook is Facebook we know what they do. Wow
    'Friend him' but change your name to Antonio the Slasher. Then ask him to send the $20 back, plus 'da vig' or he'll be sleeping with da fishes.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-28-17 01:49 AM
    'Friend him' but change your name to Antonio the Slasher. Then ask him to send the $20 back, plus 'da vig' or he'll be sleeping with da fishes.
    Hmm, so maybe Data Mining can be A GOOD THING!!!!!

01-28-17 01:53 AM
    I'm going with "sinister," especially in light of

"No one knows why," my a-ess-ess.

When, one wonders, did a phone morph from being a tool for ME to communicate into a tool for BIG DATA to sell my information??
    I'm reading the Ed Snowdon book by Guardian journalist Luke Harding. Details the amount of data slurped by the UK GCHQ and the NSA/FBI et al, in terrifying detail. None of it makes for happy reading. The data protection laws in the UK are just ignored.

The BB0s7 phones have been 'hacked' in the sense that meta-data and calls/SMS have been intercepted, as you'd expect. There's another file buried in the Snowden disclosures which shows a PowerPoint from a company who supplies 'utils' to law enforcement agencies, sending spoof update messages to BB owners to get them to install a back-door. Uh-oh.

So, I guess we all now know that carrying any mobile phone is akin to carrying a tracker. I'm done with Skype now, after the account was mangled by the 'upgrade' to a live account. Time was in 2003 when it was secure, but now, no longer.

Tinfoil hats at the ready, amigos. Blackberry interceptions:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-921161.html

On the topic of PKB's and Boldness, I'm finding the on-screen keyboards quicker to use than the PKB on the Bold. It's the swipey-thing where you flick between letters leaving your paw on the screen. It's probably an age thing. :-)
    01-28-17 02:06 AM
    I can understand the concerns about security and privacy but those worries need to be balanced against the improved services that result from ubiquitous data & location mining. Personally, I don't really have that much to hide and at present I'm content to benefit from the quality services offered by corporate monsters; there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    The bottom line is -- if you want to keep secrets, don't use a smart phone.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 01-28-17 at 03:38 AM.
    01-28-17 03:25 AM
8,754 ... 179180181182183 ...