Just a shame. Failed battery in 9900 takes almost ten seconds to replace. Failed battery in Classic involves a week of drama and maybe even security issues?? Glad I'm on my old trusty 99.
    10 seconds? You must be doing it in slow motion ;-) I'll have to make a video to see how fast I can do it but I doubt it's more than four seconds
    idssteve likes this.
    01-20-17 04:29 PM
    We've dissected a couple Classics in-house... No one enjoyed the experience. Lol. If I were back at our facility, it would already be apart. Lol. But, out here at a remote jobsite, it's easier to just order a new one and donate the old one to be a "lab rat" for some things my "smart guys" have in mind.

One thing that WOULD concern me if I were sending this thing to less friendly hands... How do you securely wipe it without power? ??

Just a shame. Failed battery in 9900 takes almost ten seconds to replace. Failed battery in Classic involves a week of drama and maybe even security issues?? Glad I'm on my old trusty 99.
    It's a security leak haven, all the phones with non removable batteries are like this if they go dead because as soon as the person fixes the battery and it turns on and charges what's stopping them from trying to access the phone for information? I never understood why they made the Classic a non removable battery, it makes no sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-20-17 04:29 PM
    Yeah, i was able to use my other blackberry's with just wifi back in the day, i used to have about 3 blackberry phones at a time but they were all set up with the sim with BIS initially so the wifi would work with nearly all the apps, i could use app world, twitter, facebook but not bbm. My 9900 wouldn't work with just wifi when i got it back in May, even when i inserted the sim with data it didn't work, i had to get the BIS activated before anything would work.

I can't explain that maybe there is a setting or you never had your wifi checked off or who knows, but I'm sure you would know to check the Wi-Fi off LOL
    01-20-17 04:30 PM
    Really surprised that guy in my building never came around to pick up the free battery door I offered, look at the condition of this… His loss I'll still use it if I need to spare.Attachment 416195
    That's really good condition, that should have been his main priority to get that back door for his phone, i can't imagine the phone being very secure without the battery door especially if it rains and some water gets into any of the components in the back of the phone.

01-20-17 04:32 PM
    I can't explain that maybe there is a setting or you never had your wifi checked off or who knows, but I'm sure you would know to check the Wi-Fi off LOL
    Yeah, i thought it was weird too. By the way, when i bought my 9900 it was used and came without a box so i have no idea of when it was made but the battery that was in the phone is a DC14, i assume it was one of the 9900s made in 2014? is there another way to find out when it was manufactured?

01-20-17 04:34 PM
    10 seconds? You must be doing it in slow motion ;-) I'll have to make a video to see how fast I can do it but I doubt it's more than four seconds
    Haha... Depends on where in my pocket the spare is hiding. Lol.
    01-20-17 04:56 PM
    Yeah, i thought it was weird too. By the way, when i bought my 9900 it was used and came without a box so i have no idea of when it was made but the battery that was in the phone is a DC14, i assume it was one of the 9900s made in 2014? is there another way to find out when it was manufactured?

Without the box I have tried and tried also to search how to date it and no luck. DC14??? is that a code number on the battery??? So not a JM-1 that came with it??

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-20-17 05:29 PM
    Without the box I have tried and tried also to search how to date it and no luck. DC14??? is that a code number on the battery??? So not a JM-1 that came with it??

It only came with one battery that had the DC14xxxx number on the battery, i didn't know that was the production date of the battery, the new one i got is a DC13xxxx, i have seen DC15xxxx JM1 batteries on ebay, but so far the new DC13 battery is holding the charge well, in fact it's a little better, my phone isn't dead yet whereas last night the battery was at 20%.

01-20-17 05:33 PM
    I use a 9930 for work cell and Q10 for personal, and love them both. Tactile. Keyboards are superb and 9930 is super-intuitive. Two buttons and I'm dialing a contact. Faster on 9930 than newer Q10! Well done by BlackBerry 9930 engineers!
    idssteve likes this.
    01-20-17 08:18 PM
    I use a 9930 for work cell and Q10 for personal, and love them both. Tactile. Keyboards are superb and 9930 is super-intuitive. Two buttons and I'm dialing a contact. Faster on 9930 than newer Q10! Well done by BlackBerry 9930 engineers!
    More significant than the time saved is the distraction prevented. Countless times per day there's some piece of a conceptual puzzle that needs corroboration while the bigger concept is still fully loaded in my brain's "volatile memory"... Haha... Doesn't take much distraction to displace that. Lol. Single long press of "P" can be found by feel, without looking, and gets my most called contact. Simple press of "end" reliably ends the call, on 9900. Minimal thought distraction.

9900 let's me stay better focused on keeping my world running without demanding silly distractions. Invaluable.

It's my understanding that 9900 was carried and used by TOP rim guys. no substitute for feedback directly from the top, imo.
    01-20-17 09:11 PM
    It only came with one battery that had the DC14xxxx number on the battery, i didn't know that was the production date of the battery, the new one i got is a DC13xxxx, i have seen DC15xxxx JM1 batteries on ebay, but so far the new DC13 battery is holding the charge well, in fact it's a little better, my phone isn't dead yet whereas last night the battery was at 20%.

Oh yes I see what you mean, here is the battery I got about March or April 2016 and I believe that the year of the battery has to be either 2013 or 2014. I'm leaning toward 2014 because it still smelled new when I got it LOL. But who knows.

But I'm not sure that you can actually date the device by the battery I mean these things get swapped and mis-matched all the time and also the Battery could've being made months before they actually put it in a new device, who knows. But at least when I had the box of my new 9780 it had the production date on it as well as the plant in Mexico it was made.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484977256.195723.jpg
    01-20-17 11:40 PM
    Hi. Just recently been using my 9900 again after almost a year. It's an AT&T unlocked phone on T-Mobile. When I browse the net on WiFi and my network, it always says that the security certificates are expired when I visit any website. Tried battery pulls and stuff but still it shows up each time I browse the net. Appreciate your help!
    01-21-17 12:25 AM
    HMDI presentation? What did I miss?
    You might have missed the whole PlayBook thing. Pretty handy BB tablet that included a micro hdmi output. It also "Bridged" with several BB handsets including our 9900s. Bridging, among other things, permits 9900's trackpad to operate the PlayBook wirelessly thru Bluetooth link. Bridge also permits text input from 9900's KB. Handy.

Hdmi adapts to nearly any flat panel these days. Including the 100" monster in our big conference room. I've used this combo for countless power point presentations over the years. Usually training client personnel, like yesterday, but great for ANYthing like planning meetings, sales & promotion, etc. . Particularly love the way 9900's trackpad tames that 100" monster screen. Lol.
    I'm able to direct arrow curser right to a desired point of interest during discussion.

Too true to BB form, Playbook never really reached maturity. Great untapped potential.

Always wished for a different name, tho. Try holding a straight face when a board member asks: "what, precisely, are you going to play on these two dozen PLAY books you've purchased..??". Lol.
    01-21-17 12:48 AM
    You might have missed the whole PlayBook thing. Pretty handy BB tablet that included a micro hdmi output. It also "Bridged" with several BB handsets including our 9900s. Bridging, among other things, permits 9900's trackpad to operate the PlayBook wirelessly thru Bluetooth link. Bridge also permits text input from 9900's KB. Handy.

Hdmi adapts to nearly any flat panel these days. Including the 100" monster in our big conference room. I've used this combo for countless power point presentations over the years. Usually training client personnel, like yesterday, but great for ANYthing like planning meetings, sales & promotion, etc. . Particularly love the way 9900's trackpad tames that 100" monster screen. Lol.
    I'm able to direct arrow curser right to a desired point of interest during discussion.

Too true to BB form, Playbook never really reached maturity. Great untapped potential.

Always wished for a different name, tho. Try holding a straight face when a board member asks: "what, precisely, are you going to play on these two dozen PLAY books you've purchased..??". Lol.
    Ah ok thanks. One of my friends had a Playbook but I never tried one, or saw another in the wild...

01-21-17 01:07 AM
    Hi. Just recently been using my 9900 again after almost a year. It's an AT&T unlocked phone on T-Mobile. When I browse the net on WiFi and my network, it always says that the security certificates are expired when I visit any website. Tried battery pulls and stuff but still it shows up each time I browse the net. Appreciate your help!
    I had a few of those but they stopped. I was going to ask if you were on wifi only because some say that the device has to be on BIS to have full functionality, or a few odd things can happen. But it sounds like you are on your data plan and wifi. My thoughts are that the device might have to be on a network for a little while for it to work properly but I'm sorry I cannot verify that...

01-21-17 01:18 AM

Ok so judging by this Curve I just saw for sale in kijiji the way Blackberry does the date numbers, the last 2 digits are definitely the date. So I assume the same should apply to your batteries....9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484989984.405020.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484989997.354258.jpg
    01-21-17 03:13 AM
    Oh yes I see what you mean, here is the battery I got about March or April 2016 and I believe that the year of the battery has to be either 2013 or 2014. I'm leaning toward 2014 because it still smelled new when I got it LOL. But who knows.

But I'm not sure that you can actually date the device by the battery I mean these things get swapped and mis-matched all the time and also the Battery could've being made months before they actually put it in a new device, who knows. But at least when I had the box of my new 9780 it had the production date on it as well as the plant in Mexico it was made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1484977256.195723.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	416212
    The JM1 that came with my phone says DC0140x09 i doubt it was made in 2009? i like the batteries because they seem to last a long time, my iPhone 5s battery became so bad after just one year, blackberry can keep their batteries running good for many years, my Q10 battery never decreased after 3 years of (ab)use haha

01-21-17 09:00 AM
    Download opera browser and use that instead of native browser.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-21-17 10:40 AM
    The JM1 that came with my phone says DC0140x09 i doubt it was made in 2009? i like the batteries because they seem to last a long time, my iPhone 5s battery became so bad after just one year, blackberry can keep their batteries running good for many years, my Q10 battery never decreased after 3 years of (ab)use haha

Well that throws a wrench into the gears then doesn't it.

I can't believe they would use a different dating system arrangement of numbers on the device box compared to the batteries, but who knows ....

Can you pic your battery?
    01-21-17 11:03 AM
    You might have missed the whole PlayBook thing. Pretty handy BB tablet that included a micro hdmi output. It also "Bridged" with several BB handsets including our 9900s... Too true to BB form, Playbook never really reached maturity. Great untapped potential.
    I have one -- it hasn't seen voltage in a looong time, but it's up in the closet somewhere.

I bought one almost as soon as they came out. Two things bothered me: First, no Wall Street Journal or New York apps, and I had this vague vision of "reading the paper" from the Playbook at breakfast (especially on business travel); and second, it was incompatible with BIS. Back then, I used my att.blackberry.net email address for all the traffic I didn't want on my employer's server. Bridge seemed pretty kludgy. I had assumed I'd be able to sync my Bold OTA and use BIS, but... no dice. I hung with it for a while... but not long after (SO embarrassing...), I was seduced to the Dark Side by the AMOLED screen on a colleague's Sammy Galaxy.

I was prett ignorant back then. I'll never go Android or carrier-locked devices again.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-21-17 11:05 AM
    I'm looking for a phone with an IR blaster. After some research, I've learned some older LG qwerty phones like the Optimus f3q has IR. How rare is that? An android landscape qwerty phone that happens to be GSM compatible, plus it can control your DVD player or tv!

Have any BlackBerry phones ever had IR? I would love to be able to control my tv with my phone, as I lost the original remote contol years ago.

01-21-17 12:35 PM
    I have one -- it hasn't seen voltage in a looong time, but it's up in the closet somewhere.

I bought one almost as soon as they came out. Two things bothered me: First, no Wall Street Journal or New York apps, and I had this vague vision of "reading the paper" from the Playbook at breakfast (especially on business travel); and second, it was incompatible with BIS. Back then, I used my att.blackberry.net email address for all the traffic I didn't want on my employer's server. Bridge seemed pretty kludgy. I had assumed I'd be able to sync my Bold OTA and use BIS, but... no dice. I hung with it for a while... but not long after (SO embarrassing...), I was seduced to the Dark Side by the AMOLED screen on a colleague's Sammy Galaxy.

I was prett ignorant back then. I'll never go Android or carrier-locked devices again.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Yeah, its value for me is almost entirely its hdmi interface and the ability to use 9900's trackpad as a wireless pointer. I've had countless curious inquiries about my ability to point to specific areas of equipment photos, over the years. Not bad for 5 year old equipment but kludgy for other uses. Classic's trackpad over Miracast operates pretty nicely but the goofy 1:1 AR isn't so nice to work around.

Like many, I'd hoped for something resembling maturity in an PB OS update release that never arrived. Too true to BB's well practiced form, they were late to market & half baked when they got there. Some would argue that key ingredients got left out of the PB recipe. Lol. Practice for the "Barely Baked" BB10 release, it seems. Of course it could be argued that the original Storm never made it near an oven. Nor a mixer... Lol. Late & unbaked was obviously not a recipe for success. Three times was the charm, it seems. Managerial malpractice, imo.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-21-17 01:02 PM
    I'm looking for a phone with an IR blaster. After some research, I've learned some older LG qwerty phones like the Optimus f3q has IR. How rare is that? An android landscape qwerty phone that happens to be GSM compatible, plus it can control your DVD player or tv!

Have any BlackBerry phones ever had IR? I would love to be able to control my tv with my phone, as I lost the original remote contol years ago.

At home, I use a browser controlled wifi-ir interface. It's worked nicely with everything since my pearl. It's not a Blaster but can't recall. "Simple Blaster" looks pretty similar??
    01-21-17 01:14 PM
    I'm just curious for any of you that might have had an OS6 device, like my 9780....

There used to be this cool section (sort of hidden) on the device that was an area to get all the new BLackberry news, plus you could follow some pre-selected news organizations like BBC, etc. But the news for Blackberry was always great to read at a time when everything was still happening for the company, with the TRUE Blackberry devices....

I remember looking for this on the 9900 when I got it but it was nowhere to be found. Plus the fact that after 2011-2012 I doubt it was maintained or updated.

Does anyone remember using this? I don't know what they called it..

01-21-17 04:45 PM
    I can control my tv soth an app called harmony link .. you do need to buy the device and set it up with the tv..
    idssteve likes this.
    01-21-17 06:41 PM
8,754 ... 176177178179180 ...