I bet the battery gets warm when it's charging?
    Only slightly, right now the gold battery isn't very warm, but it's actually the usb part that you plug into the port that gets warm, it gets warm while charging and then once its charged it doesn't stay warm and cools down pretty quickly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-19-17 04:36 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f292d8e193.jpg

Look what just arrived an original blackberry battery charger, it's so small, if you want a size comparison it's the same length as the camera to the end of the battery door on the 9900, it's probably the best for traveling with, it doesn't indicate at what percentage the battery is at but I'm sure after 2 hours I should know, I'm charging with a faster charging cable it has a 5v compared to the older 3.5, the 5v charging cable has my 9900 charged from 10% to 100% in under an hour
    That looks just like a 'Blackberry ASY-18976-003 Extra Battery
    Charger for BlackBerry J-M1'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E2...UvbUpU12735048

If so, the light will turn green-ish when charged. Blinks orange while charging. Blinks red if battery has failed. Sometimes re-trying a "failed" battery will get it going again.

They're WONDERful for charging spare JM1s without having to use the handset as a dumb charger. I power my 99 mostly thru battery swaps and almost never involve the 99's usb port for charging. Charged batt goes in left pocket. Spent batt goes in right pocket after swap from phone. To be swapped with charged batt from one of these chargers when I get to one. Typically stationed at bedside, in car, at office, etc. True wireless freedom!

The rest of charging gets done by various desktop charge pods strategically stationed.

At day's end, I'll swap in a charged jm1 from one of these chargers and then set 99 into desktop charge pod on bedside stand. That way, phone is at 100% if I get an all-nighter troubleshooting call 5 minutes after head hits pillow... Btdt.

Just to be clear, are you saying this charger just charges the spare jm1, like I described above? Or does this one charge the phone thru usb like a batt-pack "pocket charger"?
    01-19-17 05:48 AM
    That looks just like a 'Blackberry ASY-18976-003 Extra Battery
    Charger for BlackBerry J-M1'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E2...UvbUpU12735058

If so, the light will turn green-ish when charged. Blinks orange while charging. Blinks red if battery has failed. Sometimes re-trying a "failed" battery will get it going again.

They're WONDERful for charging spare JM1s without having to use the handset as a dumb charger. I power my 99 mostly thru battery swaps and almost never involve the 99's usb port for charging. Charged batt goes in left pocket. Spent batt goes in right pocket after swap from phone. To be swapped with charged batt from one of these chargers when I get to one. Typically stationed at bedside, in car, at office, etc. True wireless freedom!

The rest of charging gets done by various desktop charge pods strategically stationed.

At day's end, I'll swap in a charged jm1 from one of these chargers and then set 99 into desktop charge pod on bedside stand. That way, phone is at 100% if I get an all-nighter troubleshooting call 5 minutes after head hits pillow... Btdt.

Just to be clear, are you saying this charger just charges the spare jm1, like I described above? Or does this one charge the phone thru usb like a batt-pack "pocket charger"?
    It's exactly the item in the link you provided, it came with a double USB cable but i'm charging it with the wall charger because i don't need to charge the blackberry, the light looks red in the picture but it's actually orange, i heard it can take 8 hours to charge the battery with this pocket charger?

01-19-17 06:12 AM
    Basic question, what is the "proper" holding technique for a 9900/30 for most efficient typing? IE., where the the phone lie in your palm, how is it oriented, where are all your fingers, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to hold my phone so it doesn't wobble when I type.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    Dunno if there is a "proper" technique but i pinch mine with pinky at bottom and first finger at top and that provides secure grasp in all positions while affording comfortable thumb reach to the keyboard and toolbelt. Note the bedroom ceiling behind my ugly mitt in the photo below. Wife is on my right arm while we message grandkids thru my left thumb. A cherished nightly routine....

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-p1050165.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-p1050166.jpg

I do 99% of 9900 operation and typing this way. Any position, any activity... while rushing to catch a bus with briefcase in right hand or while feeding my face... lol. Sometimes i'll engage both hands if in a real hurry. Second thumb speeds things up about 10-15% for me. All a matter of the approach you practice.

Edit: The thumb in the photos is not supporting the handset in any way. It's just ready to operate any key muscle memory sends it to. All grasp is between pinky and first finger. Just to be clear.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-19-17 at 06:28 AM.
    01-19-17 06:17 AM
    It's exactly the item in the link you provided, it came with a double USB cable but i'm charging it with the wall charger because i don't need to charge the blackberry, the light looks red in the picture but it's actually orange, i heard it can take 8 hours to charge the battery with this pocket charger?

Couple hrs is all I ever noticed. The spare jm1 is always charged before the one in the handset needs swapping out so that's all I ever paid much attention to.

I typically use the Y splitter to power a desktop pod right beside these JM1 charger. Usually fed by a "yellowtail" playbook charger.

Fitting an oversized extended battery into these chargers means removing the door and also some minor pocket knife trimming on a plastic ledge. Handles the 5000mAh monsters fine, otherwise.
    01-19-17 06:50 AM
    Couple hrs is all I ever noticed. The spare jm1 is always charged before the one in the handset needs swapping out so that's all I ever paid much attention to.

I typically use the Y splitter to power a desktop pod right beside these JM1 charger. Usually fed by a "yellowtail" playbook charger.

Fitting an oversized extended battery into these chargers means removing the door and also some minor pocket knife trimming on a plastic ledge. Handles the 5000mAh monsters fine, otherwise.
    The pocket charger took 3 and a half hours to charge the Gold extended battery that is supposed to have 2430mah but i think it's around 1500-1600mah because it gave me around 60-90 minutes more battery usage than the original one. Now i'm charging the new JM1 i bought last week, when i need to reboot the 9900 i will insert the new JM1 to see if it works. I have seen the 3000mah and 5000mah but i always wondered how they would interfere with the typing experience because of the swollen back of the phone, it must feel a little weird to hold? I saw a guy's review of the 5000mah battery and he said it lasted over 3 days of heavy usage, i think he got 4 days out of it in the end. It would be a great investment if you are traveling or on holiday, i also came across a thick phone case for the 9900 that could be charged and has a USB cable in it and when you plug the usb cable into the usb port it charges the phone, it's marketed as a charging case, i think that's also a really cool thing to be able to get. I wonder if anyone in the forum has one or has had one?

01-19-17 07:33 AM
    Yes it's so perfect that you can't do anything while it's transferring files. How convenient! Multitasking at its prime.
    A casual glance at just a few of the 176 pages of posts to this thread should reveal to even the most obtuse reader that this is a 9900 enthusiast's thread: If you don't fall into that category, there are plenty of other forums and threads where snark, sarcasm, and re-hashing of various shortcomings, perceived or real, are pretty much the norm.
    Last edited by David Tyler; 01-19-17 at 08:49 AM.
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    01-19-17 08:20 AM
    The pocket charger took 3 and a half hours to charge the Gold extended battery that is supposed to have 2430mah but i think it's around 1500-1600mah because it gave me around 60-90 minutes more battery usage than the original one. Now i'm charging the new JM1 i bought last week, when i need to reboot the 9900 i will insert the new JM1 to see if it works. I have seen the 3000mah and 5000mah but i always wondered how they would interfere with the typing experience because of the swollen back of the phone, it must feel a little weird to hold? I saw a guy's review of the 5000mah battery and he said it lasted over 3 days of heavy usage, i think he got 4 days out of it in the end. It would be a great investment if you are traveling or on holiday, i also came across a thick phone case for the 9900 that could be charged and has a USB cable in it and when you plug the usb cable into the usb port it charges the phone, it's marketed as a charging case, i think that's also a really cool thing to be able to get. I wonder if anyone in the forum has one or has had one?

I have a charging case that adds quite a bit to endurance without too much impact on form factor. It uses the phone's charging contacts so slipping it on during a call doesn't interrupt the call. In the end, tho, it won't fit the desktop charging pods so I rarely use it.

The protruding ledge created by 5000mAh monster extended batts on the back actually improve grasp and typing experience. I truly type a little faster with it on there. Phone still fits desktop charging docks with it. I use a holster for my old 9650 that accommodates the added thick nicely.

In general, truly better batts will be physically bigger. The 5000s & 3000s are a little large for comfortably pocketing a spare so I usually carry a compact spare JM1 and keep another monster on charge in the spare battery chargers. With 3-4 days of reliable endurance from the monsters, it's pretty rare that JM1 gets used.

Also been using 3000mAh Seidios since only one of the four 5000s I originally bought is still working. The Seidios are definitely a better quality battery and provide a good 2-3 day endurance. That's really good enough for most of my needs. Pretty nice to carry the phone thru a weekend with no charging concerns.

Of course it's always nice to restore 99's marvelously compact form factor by swapping in a compact jm1 on lighter use days. The charm of versatility, ya kno.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-19-17 at 08:55 AM.
    01-19-17 08:42 AM
    I have a charging case that adds quite a bit to endurance without too much impact on form factor. It uses the phone's charging contacts so slipping it on during a call doesn't interrupt the call. In the end, tho, it won't fit the desktop charging pods so I rarely use it.

The protruding ledge created by 5000mAh monster extended batts on the back actually improve grasp and typing experience. I truly type a little faster with it on there. Phone still fits desktop charging docks with it. I use a holster for my old 9650 that accommodates the added thick nicely.

I general, truly better batts will be physically bigger. The 5000s & 3000s are a little large for comfortably pocketing a spare so I usually carry a compact spare JM1 and keep another monster on charge in the spare battery chargers. With 3-4 days of reliable endurance from the monsters, it's pretty rare that JM1 gets used.

Also been using 3000mAh Seidios since only one of the four 5000s I originally bought is still working. The Seidios are definitely a better quality battery and provide a good 2-3 day endurance. That's really good enough for most of my needs. Pretty nice to carry the phone thru a weekend with no charging concerns.
    Yes i've heard of Seidio, they are an established company so i would assume their products are durable. The 9650 is the Tour 2 right? i had the 9630 and loved it but then i sold it and got the Tour 2 and was disappointed because the keyboard was smaller, both times i was actually able to sell the phones at a higher price than what i bought them for because they're not usually found in Ireland. What price are the Seidio 3000mah batteries?

01-19-17 08:55 AM
    Yes i've heard of Seidio, they are an established company so i would assume their products are durable. The 9650 is the Tour 2 right? i had the 9630 and loved it but then i sold it and got the Tour 2 and was disappointed because the keyboard was smaller, both times i was actually able to sell the phones at a higher price than what i bought them for because they're not usually found in Ireland. What price are the Seidio 3000mah batteries?

Here's Seidio at Amazon... almost $47usd. Pricey but arguably worth 3 JM1s...lol. Looks like they only have a couple left...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU12735226

Yeah, 9650 still rates as one of my faves... mostly for it's ram capacity. Even tho our 9900s sport about 250mb more ram, they use about 300mb ram to support the touch interface. AFAIK. My old non-touch 9650 would carry significantly more apps & messages than even 9900. Its pitiful processor took it a while to chew on things, tho. About 8-10 minutes to boot up, compared with our 99's 2min, 40 sec.

9650's tiny PKB is likely where i started using thumb nails for typing. Just never noticed till i started wearing paint from my 9900 keys... lol. Nails are FAR more precise than flesh on tiny KB. Just can't do nails on capacitive touch KB. Which is why i believe that ANY truly compact handset will need to be PKB optimized for nail operation. Our 99s are pretty optimal for nails but i don't believe they were originally meant to be. IDK, tho. My typing burst and sustained rate is about 5% faster on tiny 9650 than 9900, fwiw. Just too many things OS7 does that OS6 don't. And OS6 really bogged down its pitiful processor so that OS5 is still my fave for 9650. 9650 is thicker, tho, and so a holster made for it fits the extended battery 99 pretty nicely.

Last edited by idssteve; 01-19-17 at 10:15 AM.
    01-19-17 10:01 AM
    Yes it's so perfect that you can't do anything while it's transferring files. How convenient! Multitasking at its prime.

I love zombies.
    I work with some guys that do pretty frightening things with bluetooth. I prefer to KNOW what's transferring in front of my eyes than trust device security to background transfers. Besides, catching up on messages in left hand while rushing to the next flight with carry-on in right hand is MY idea of multitasking. Show me ANYthing newer that can do THAT multitask as well as a 9900... lol.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-19-17 10:24 AM
    Here's Seidio at Amazon... almost $47usd. Pricey but arguably worth 3 JM1s...lol. Looks like they only have a couple left...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU12735267

Yeah, 9650 still rates as one of my faves... mostly for it's ram capacity. Even tho our 9900s sport about 250mb more ram, they use about 300mb ram to support the touch interface. AFAIK. My old non-touch 9650 would carry significantly more apps & messages than even 9900. Its pitiful processor took it a while to chew on things, tho. About 8-10 minutes to boot up, compared with our 99's 2min, 40 sec.

9650's tiny PKB is likely where i started using thumb nails for typing. Just never noticed till i started wearing paint from my 9900 keys... lol. Nails are FAR more precise than flesh on tiny KB. Just can't do nails on capacitive touch KB. Which is why i believe that ANY truly compact handset will need to be PKB optimized for nail operation. Our 99s are pretty optimal for nails but i don't believe they were originally meant to be. IDK, tho. My typing burst and sustained rate is about 5% faster on tiny 9650 than 9900, fwiw. Just too many things OS7 does that OS6 don't. And OS6 really bogged down its pitiful processor so that OS5 is still my fave for 9650. 9650 is thicker, tho, and so a holster made for it fits the extended battery 99 pretty nicely.

Hey man I was actually so paranoid when I first got the 9900 that I was keeping my fingernails nice and trim to avoid wearing out that beautiful shiny black KB hahaha. But then I had some keyboard issues got the white one and despite my thumb is being huge and very wide I still refuse to let my fingernails touch the keyboard. I do know is that the paint on the new white keyboard is very very thick.

I never really paid attention but I am betting that women with very long fingernails destroyed these keyboards maybe in a matter of three months or something who knows.
    01-19-17 10:31 AM
    Hey man I was actually so paranoid when I first got the 9900 that I was keeping my fingernails nice and trim to avoid wearing out that beautiful shiny black KB hahaha. But then I had some keyboard issues got the white one and despite my thumb is being huge and very wide I still refuse to let my fingernails touch the keyboard. I do know is that the paint on the new white keyboard is very very thick.

I never really paid attention but I am betting that women with very long fingernails destroyed these keyboards maybe in a matter of three months or something who knows.
    Haha... interestingly, our resident "speed demon" also has the smallest hands and the longest nails! She's truly a marvel to watch on ANYthing.... even iPhone... Some brains are just optimized that way. lol. Paint wear is a problem in our office but most males are using thumbnails also. I've often pondered trying a white KB hoping it might not show the wear as badly as the black ones. But, we have cases of black KBs on hand so i doubt i'll ever get to try the theory. Long run, thumb muscle memory couldn't care less about the paint. Looking at worn keys while typing does seem induce a type of confused vertigo in me. Best to not look down... lol...
    01-19-17 10:52 AM
    Haha... interestingly, our resident "speed demon" also has the smallest hands and the longest nails! She's truly a marvel to watch on ANYthing.... even iPhone... Some brains are just optimized that way. lol. Paint wear is a problem in our office but most males are using thumbnails also. I've often pondered trying a white KB hoping it might not show the wear as badly as the black ones. But, we have cases of black KBs on hand so i doubt i'll ever get to try the theory. Long run, thumb muscle memory couldn't care less about the paint. Looking at worn keys while typing does seem induce a type of confused vertigo in me. Best to not look down... lol...
    I have to confess I really wanted the white keyboard because of my all white 9780 and I just kind of missed it. I just tried typing on my iPhone with my fingernails only and it won't work, so I am assuming she must somehow angle her fingertips to still be able to use the pads of her finger skin.....
    01-19-17 10:55 AM
    I have to confess I really wanted the white keyboard because of my all white 9780 and I just kind of missed it. I just tried typing on my iPhone with my fingernails only and it won't work, so I am assuming she must somehow angle her fingertips to still be able to use the pads of her finger skin.....
    Yep, she holds her hands at an entirely different angle. AND uses both hands. She's remarkably versatile but by end of a long hard day winds up with 9900 as her fave. We've quantified her type rates and might post them along with a video if she'll agree. Truly Guinness level speeds AND precision. Even a single typo can be big problems in our industry. We just tested her with a Dtek60, couple weeks ago. Not good. She'd "inherited" from her husband. I bought it to test myself. I don't know where so many folks claim VKB is as good as PKB. My numbers have NEVER supported that claim. Guess we're just not smart enough. IDK.

So long as my competitors keep believing their glass stuff is "better"... i'm happy... lol

01-19-17 11:05 AM
    Now they have 1 fewer left.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-19-17 01:22 PM
    Now they have 1 fewer left.
    Haha... No commission either. Lol. It will add about 50% thickness to device but it's shape is centered and tends to flow well in hand and even in pocket, to a degree. I find that preferable to altering form in other directions. Imo. The ability to simply not worry about charging thru a weekend is priceless, for me. I still carry a compact jm1 in pocket, tho.

Btw, Seidio's extended battery cover doesn't have NFC provision. I rarely use NFC but heads up.
    01-19-17 01:48 PM
    The ability to simply not worry about charging thru a weekend is priceless, for me. I still carry a compact jm1 in pocket, tho.
    With this purchase, I'll have spent more on batteries than the phone itself! -- two 1230 mAh OEM JM-1s (one of which bit the dust), a new 1320 mAh Duracell, and this gem. I very rarely get close to tapping out the small ones, BUT I really like the idea of having that 3000 mAh beast in my collection.

Amazing, isn't it? -- a 2011 phone.

Oh -- "roger that" on the NFC.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-19-17 03:29 PM
    I can't do thumbnail typing. I prefer the tactile feedback that thumb-tips on keys provides. Granted, I have long, slender fingers so I never have to worry about pressing more than one key at once.

I have also adopted a "thumb roll technique", where rather than picking up my thumb and then putting it down on an adjacent key, I will just roll it from whatever key I'm currently touching. The precious milliseconds of time that saves really add up and provide a much more efficient typing experience than any virtual keyboard could possibly give me.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-19-17 04:00 PM
    Wow there's just no way I would pay $89 for this Canadian. Considering our dollars $.75 right now for US dollar today I have no idea why the price is basically doubled on Amazon.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484864011.128536.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484864026.578139.jpg
    01-19-17 04:13 PM
    Wow there's just no way I would pay $89 for this Canadian. Considering our dollars $.75 right now for US dollar today I have no idea why the price is basically doubled on Amazon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1484864011.128536.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	416102

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1484864026.578139.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	416103
    Wow that's expensive, I wouldn't pay that haha I already have two new batteries, I think for that price I could get a white 9900 on eBay haha
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    01-19-17 04:23 PM
    I can't do thumbnail typing. I prefer the tactile feedback that thumb-tips on keys provides. Granted, I have long, slender fingers so I never have to worry about pressing more than one key at once.

I have also adopted a "thumb roll technique", where rather than picking up my thumb and then putting it down on an adjacent key, I will just roll it from whatever key I'm currently touching. The precious milliseconds of time that saves really add up and provide a much more efficient typing experience than any virtual keyboard could possibly give me.
    Excellent point. Now that you mention it, my technique still involves some flesh contact as essential tactile feedback. I've historically kept thumb nails trimmed to where force of pressing is applied by nails, tho. My thumb also never lifts from the keypad but slides to the next key. Much rougher on paint than your rocking technique. Lol.

A thread dedicated to comparing & perfecting techniques might be useful! ??
    01-19-17 04:33 PM
    With this purchase, I'll have spent more on batteries than the phone itself! -- two 1230 mAh OEM JM-1s (one of which bit the dust), a new 1320 mAh Duracell, and this gem. I very rarely get close to tapping out the small ones, BUT I really like the idea of having that 3000 mAh beast in my collection.

Amazing, isn't it? -- a 2011 phone.

Oh -- "roger that" on the NFC.

At least we CAN buy batteries for our 99s. My Classic's battery abruptly failed this morning. Not enough ATT out here for my PassPort to be much use. Z30 & D60 are back at the office. Just me and my 99 to face the lonesome wilderness... Lol. Till new Classic arrives Monday. No worries. All essentials are comfortably covered.

Old Classic gets donated to "science"... As a "lab rat" for my "smart guys"... Lol.

Amazingly, my stress level is noticeably reduced without my Classic. Spent all day without worrying over where to plug it in, or if I've plugged it in, or did I leave the charger in the motel room or ? Just forwarded all calls to 99, swapped in charged batt when I climbed into truck this morning, spent day at remote jobsite, swapped charged battery before climbing out of truck for night in motel. Will swap in fresh one when I climb back in truck in the morning. No screwing with wall warts & cables or forgetting them or etc. Back to true wireless freedom! A relaxingly liberating feeling!! Lol.

99 has handled EVERYthing needed, on this day. Including a presentation I simply hdmi'd thru the old PlayBook. Not as nice as Classic's Miracast but no one noticed. Lol. Truly a "Zen Zone 99" day! Lol.
    anon(9721108) and David Tyler like this.
    01-19-17 06:10 PM
    At least we CAN buy batteries for our 99s ...swapped in charged batt when I climbed into truck this morning, spent day at remote jobsite, swapped charged battery before climbing out of truck for night in motel. Will swap in fresh one when I climb back in truck in the morning. No screwing with wall warts & cables or forgetting them or etc. Back to true wireless freedom! 99 has handled EVERYthing needed, on this day. Including a presentation I simply hdmi'd thru the old PlayBook.
    WOW. That HDMI presentation is uh-mayzing.

Re: batteries -- I never did see the percentage with the non-removeable batteries. First, it was just chasing Apple around, pretty much doing it because that's what they did with the iPhone (or at least, that's how it seemed to me...); second, I love that you can use DIFFERENT SIZE batteries in the Bold!! Wanna go "slim?" Fine, slip in a JM-1. Need juice for the long haul? You've got that option, with a fatter case. Finally, look at how long these babies last if the major components (battery, kb) are easily replaced!! >sigh<

People like choices, darnit! Is that really so hard to understand??
    idssteve likes this.
    01-19-17 08:17 PM
    WOW. That HDMI presentation is uh-mayzing.

Re: batteries -- I never did see the percentage with the non-removeable batteries. First, it was just chasing Apple around, pretty much doing it because that's what they did with the iPhone (or at least, that's how it seemed to me...); second, I love that you can use DIFFERENT SIZE batteries in the Bold!! Wanna go "slim?" Fine, slip in a JM-1. Need juice for the long haul? You've got that option, with a fatter case. Finally, look at how long these babies last if the major components (battery, kb) are easily replaced!! >sigh<

People like choices, darnit! Is that really so hard to understand??
    Haha... Not really so amazing. Been using bridged 99 thru PlayBook's hdmi since a few days after my first playbook. This meeting room had about a 40" flat panel with miracast that I'd planned to use with Classic. Could have used Passport but really like trackpad for presentations. Just hooked up Playbook & grabbed presentation from dropbox... No drama easy...

I do miss my Classic for certain things. Oversized as it is, if it had been blessed with swappable battery, I'd have reluctantly retired 99 by now. Embedded batteries are cheaper to implement and maybe ok for folks who live regular, predictable, lives, I guess. That certainly doesn't describe me. Lol.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-19-17 09:23 PM
8,754 ... 174175176177178 ...