Has anyone seen the concept art for the upcoming Nokia xpressmusic NX phone? It has major cameras, landscape pkb, looks mouthwatering...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20170118_101506.png

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-18-17 12:24 PM
    If the SIM got connected on the first day, then the update might have been the cause. Could've tried a reset to factory setting then updated again via Blackberry Link on your computer. OTA update sometimes causes some trouble due to unstable signal.

If the message was 'invalid SIM' or 'SIM card not recognized' or similar, the Q10 might have been locked. The locked status could be checked as well. Depend on the locked carrier, it may cost up to U$35 for an unlock code which is half the cost of a good unlocked Q10. I would return it too.

Posted from my  Passport
    Yes indeedy. I tried all of the above, but Link said it was unlocked, it was brand new and boxed, fine before the update, deceased afterwards. I figured 'having a life' was more important than fixing mobile phones and back it has gone. Up with this, we should not put, as Goldwyn said.
    01-18-17 12:30 PM
    Has anyone seen the concept art for the upcoming Nokia xpressmusic NX phone? It has major cameras, landscape pkb, looks mouthwatering...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170118_101506.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	416032

Oh My! But will it run BIS? :-)
    01-18-17 12:31 PM
    Oh My! But will it run BIS? :-)
    This concept phone is like the T-mobile Sidekick devices that were mostly manufactured by Sharp, they released an android based one in 2011 manufactured by Samsung, this concept phone looks amazing and I would love for it to come out like this.
    01-18-17 12:35 PM
    This concept phone is like the T-mobile Sidekick devices that were mostly manufactured by Sharp, they released an android based one in 2011 manufactured by Samsung, this concept phone looks amazing and I would love for it to come out like this.
    Those front mounted ghetto-blaster speakers are going to kick out some serious choons, as they say.
    01-18-17 01:01 PM
    My chief complaint about that Nokia NX is the same for all new phones - it looks BIG. I prefer a small phone but they just aren't in vogue. I guess that's why I still carry around my 9930.

idssteve likes this.
    01-18-17 02:36 PM
    "Is there ANY subatomic crevice the all knowing Googleverse isn't growing nefarious tentacles through? "

Well, they're excluded from my crevices at the moment. Until an Android-equipped guest turns up and uses my wifi which will resend the location data of the router back to Google. :-)

Also I replaced the home wifi router with one that does 2.4/5Ghz; the 9900 connects to 5Ghz, which pleases me. It has a 'guest' feature which blocks off the rest of the network, and has its own SSID. Be interesting to see how Google chews on that.

I haven't done any work on Apple devices for some years, don't use FaceTwit etc, so the payback is being a Cyber-Hermit, the upside is no covert data-feed to make millionaires richer by re-selling pictures of my cat.

The Bold also BlueTooths to the car, and has auto-answer on BlueTooth, which is a big help.

So, I'm sticking with the 9900 BisBerry for the foreseeable future. There's little else that's as data-efficient or as private for the price, assuming BIS doesn't die at some point.

There's an outfit over here selling data/voice encrypted phones, for those of you who work for the NSA/WikiLeaks/Sinaloa Cartel. They're based on 'containerised' BB10s, at about the price of a used Mustang. They haven't yet sent me one for review. :-)

Enigma Telecom - Secure Communication with Triple Layer Protection

Hasta luego!

Well, the only really secure device is a broken one. Lol. But, I totally agree with making "them" work for it rather than sending a gift wrapped package using MY data plan and MY electricity! Lol.

My company went into extreme paranoia mode, one afternoon, after a client called me and was able to exactly recite his competitor's order. Also a client of ours, both bidding on the same project. Long story, but the only cell phones in the conference room that afternoon had the batteries pulled and laying on table beside the comfortably dead device in front of each participant. A few embedded battery iPhones were on a cart in another room. Haha. Everyone involved knew we were being ridiculous but sometimes it's better to KNOW than to hope. Especially when reassuring a nervous client.

Turned out to be a simple case of failure to "end" a call on a Q10's "soft end" and that client continued listening to shop talk about the two similar orders. We haven't experienced a single failure to end a call since reverting back to our physical "End" key 99s. Early 2014 fwiw.

My "smart guys" do things with bluetooth that makes me cringe everytime I enable it. Really glad those guys are on MY side. Lol. I use BT a LOT but generally shut it off in motels, airports, etc. BT can access Contacts, initiate calls, etc. Words to ponder.
    01-18-17 07:24 PM
    I can't believe it, the first Blackberry I saw in the wild today for a long time is another 9900 and the dude lives in my building! He didn't even have a back battery door so I said he could have my spare lols. That might be a little easier than trying to hold the battery with your finger all the time!

When he picks up the part later from me I'll take a pic of his beat up 9900 but it might be too sad for some to see
    Haha... Sounds like my old 9930. Battery stays in surprisingly reliably even without a cover. Lol. No NFC without cover, tho.
    01-18-17 07:49 PM
    Also, paint wear on several keys on this old 9930 makes them illegible. No problem... Thumb knows where they are and what they feel like... Unless I look... Lol.
    01-18-17 08:30 PM
    Basic question, what is the "proper" holding technique for a 9900/30 for most efficient typing? IE., where the the phone lie in your palm, how is it oriented, where are all your fingers, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to hold my phone so it doesn't wobble when I type.

01-19-17 12:25 AM
    Haha... Sounds like my old 9930. Battery stays in surprisingly reliably even without a cover. Lol. No NFC without cover, tho.
    And guess what, the guy never came . He could have had a free cover with a tab broken but no scratches and it sits flush with the rest of the phone as long as it is a standard JM1 battery, which he had.
    01-19-17 12:45 AM
    Basic question, what is the "proper" holding technique for a 9900/30 for most efficient typing? IE., where the the phone lie in your palm, how is it oriented, where are all your fingers, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to hold my phone so it doesn't wobble when I type.

My 2 forefingers are way up high on the sides of the device and my right little finger is sitting along the bottom to support the device. Basically for me, just 3 fingers support the device except both thumbs that do all the typing.
    01-19-17 12:47 AM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484808449.684873.jpg

Found this pic from a year ago today when I first tried syncing a song from one device to another. Perfect synchronization, even the Bluetooth light blinks at the exact same time
    01-19-17 12:48 AM
    Ah, I see. You use two hands to type. I've been trying entirely with one hand but it is more steady with two thumbs and two index fingers. I like your method, although I'll use two 5th fingers at the bottom.

I love typing on my 9930.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-19-17 12:54 AM

Name:	IMG_1484808449.684873.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	416074

Found this pic from a year ago today when I first tried syncing a song from one device to another. Perfect synchronization, even the Bluetooth light blinks at the exact same time
    Yes it's so perfect that you can't do anything while it's transferring files. How convenient! Multitasking at its prime.

I love zombies.
    01-19-17 03:14 AM
    Yes it's so perfect that you can't do anything while it's transferring files. How convenient! Multitasking at its prime.

I love zombies.
    Why would I want it to. It's a five-year-old device not a new iPhone buddy.

I'm pretty sure if a call came in it would override the file transfer.

Wow life is pretty hard I can't wait a minute for a song. If you don't like it get another device.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-19-17 at 04:08 AM.
    01-19-17 03:54 AM

Look what just arrived an original blackberry battery charger, it's so small, if you want a size comparison it's the same length as the camera to the end of the battery door on the 9900, it's probably the best for traveling with, it doesn't indicate at what percentage the battery is at but I'm sure after 2 hours I should know, I'm charging with a faster charging cable it has a 5v compared to the older 3.5, the 5v charging cable has my 9900 charged from 10% to 100% in under an hour
    01-19-17 03:55 AM
    ^^^ "My "smart guys" do things with bluetooth that makes me cringe everytime I enable it. Really glad those guys are on MY side"

I have to perform in lectures occasionally, and look out to a sea of students peering at smart-phones. Most people tend to leave BlueTooth on and discoverable these days, and I wonder how much data is being leaked from a sea of forty or so students. I can tell when my neighbour is home, for instance, when 'Julia's phone' pops up. I yanked out an Android tablet with a spectrum sniffer on it one day and proceeded to read out the 'class register' from it: Jills phone, Sandy's phone, Craig's phone and so on. BlueTooth sniffing is being used in many malls now to measure foot-fall. Google location data from smartphones drives Waze, giving real-time traffic speeds and congestion, it's just been re-jigged to display car-park occupation-density predictions over here.

I like the All [radios] Off function on the Bold Touch. It's just one button click down from the top status bar on the screen. Android has something similar in the Power Toggles app, but even with GPS location off, Android still stores cell and Wifi SSID data until it can reconnect.

There is no escape. :-)
    idssteve likes this.
    01-19-17 03:57 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f292d8e193.jpg

Look what just arrived an original blackberry battery charger, it's so small, if you want a size comparison it's the same length as the camera to the end of the battery door on the 9900, it's probably the best for traveling with, it doesn't indicate at what percentage the battery is at but I'm sure after 2 hours I should know, I'm charging with a faster charging cable it has a 5v compared to the older 3.5, the 5v charging cable has my 9900 charged from 10% to 100% in under an hour
    Now that's fast
    01-19-17 04:01 AM

Those 'pocket chargers' are pretty handy, I've got a couple of different size ones, can get the phone going again with little fuss. I think the later ones have a charge-through facility (?) where you can daisy chain the phone and charger, and both get charged up.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-charger.jpg
    01-19-17 04:02 AM
    Now that's fast
    Yes, i knew it would arrive fast, it was only coming from the UK to Ireland and once something arrives in ireland it's delivered the next day, our basic domestic shipping is next day which is great. I'm looking forward to having three batteries for the 9900 and not having to worry about preserving battery when i'm traveling.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-19-17 04:05 AM
    Those 'pocket chargers' are pretty handy, I've got a couple of different size ones, can get the phone going again with little fuss. I think the later ones have a charge-through facility (?) where you can daisy chain the phone and charger, and both get charged up.

Name:	charger.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	416076
    Yes, this pocket charged actually came with the double usb charger cable but my 9900 is fully charged and i want the 5v charger to charge the battery within an hour haha.

01-19-17 04:06 AM

Name:	charger.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	416076
    That looks like the NX1 battery charger for the Q10. You can use it to charge the 9900 via the microUSB lead, but the NX1 battery can't be swapped into the handset, it doesn't fit – unless you use a wooden mallet
    01-19-17 04:11 AM
    Ah, I see. You use two hands to type. I've been trying entirely with one hand but it is more steady with two thumbs and two index fingers. I like your method, although I'll use two 5th fingers at the bottom.

I love typing on my 9930.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    One hand is more than possible for me but just way too slow compared to two hands. If I'm still busy where I have to type in a hurry, it can wait until I have both my hands free. Unless I'm hanging off a cliff, that might be a different story.
    01-19-17 04:21 AM
    Yes, this pocket charged actually came with the double usb charger cable but my 9900 is fully charged and i want the 5v charger to charge the battery within an hour haha.

I bet the battery gets warm when it's charging?
    01-19-17 04:22 AM
8,754 ... 173174175176177 ...