I think I didn't get response on Logicmai incoming server error. Any help will be appreciated

And in uber social, is there any way to see notifications on likes and RTs
    Well... I don't willingly touch anything "G" so have no experience with Gmail but maybe something here might get us started: Logic Mail on 9900 issues. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    01-14-17 08:18 AM
    We have a few CyanogenMod phones in the UK now, WileyFox Swift and Swift 2 are Android but with CM installed. Out of the box, and with no Google account or SIM inserted they're useful for comparing what is leaking out over the network.

We TinFoil Hatters are wary of everything that covertly goes out, and so even basic apps like Ccleaner ask for permissions to read contacts. TrueCaller, installed by default, uploads your contacts, so if your phone number is on a friend's phone, it will be collected and listed in TrueCaller. And so on.

I've got 48 hours of firewall logs now, and the amount of data bytes collected by Google services is astonishing. At the moment, on the account-free phone, Google Account Manager, G-backup, and all the rest are trying to phone home once every three seconds. They keep trying if access is blocked, which is pervasive. (see time-stamps on pic) . Well, so, what? But over 24 hours the log has 28,000 attempts.

The way this data is collected is also sly, nothing much happens within six hours of cold-starting the phone, then, with no updates, accounts or apps installed, Google starts collecting location, usage and wifi data. So Android gives a lot of functionality, but users are covertly paying for it.

BB-OS7 also phones home, but the amount of data sent is miniscule in comparison, and it's a question of who do we trust more, RIM/BB or Google?

Hence my continued preference for the 9900, and BIS.

In the log below, the shield icon is a blocked data request sent into a VPN sink, jigsaw piece is Google Account Manager. This is just 17 seconds of logging on a new phone with no Google account. There's plenty more. :-)

Attachment 415796
    GREAT info! Eager to see more!! Have you tested BES ??
    01-14-17 08:23 AM
    I just started using a 9900, coming from a Q5 and I am still not used to the soft keyboard of the 9900.

I love zombies.
    01-14-17 10:03 AM
    I just started using a 9900, coming from a Q5 and I am still not used to the soft keyboard of the 9900.

I love zombies.
    As long as it still "clicks" then it is not worn out. Even new official BB KB's are easier to type on than my stiff 9780 was. That thing was like lifting weights with your finger muscles.
    ArbuckleWillis likes this.
    01-14-17 11:02 AM
    Question. Perhaps a common sense to many :-).
    I am currently using 9900 as my primary carry (with IP 6s for everything else).
    I (think) noticed that the battery seems to last a tad longer in holster (with sleeper magnet) than simply putting it on desk. In both cases, the device goes into sleep.

Am I just imagining, or is there any difference in sleep mode between above two cases in terms of battery use?
    01-14-17 04:46 PM
    current wifi speed

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    01-14-17 05:45 PM
    Question. Perhaps a common sense to many :-).
    I am currently using 9900 as my primary carry (with IP 6s for everything else).
    I (think) noticed that the battery seems to last a tad longer in holster (with sleeper magnet) than simply putting it on desk. In both cases, the device goes into sleep.

Am I just imagining, or is there any difference in sleep mode between above two cases in terms of battery use?
    Hmmm I wouldn't think that would make a difference. With the 9900 the screen is always off unless you press a button or receive a call so it wouldn't be using power that way.

It's not like our iPhones with the notifications on the Lock Screen that turns on the screen with every notification. The exception would be an iPad with the Smart Cover and when closed the screen would save power by not coming on, in that case.

So I cannot imagine it making any difference?
    01-14-17 07:48 PM
    Thank you. Perhaps (very likely :-) you are right and I was just imagining.

I thought there was something the sleeper magnet was turning off beyond screen sleep and keyboard lock.
    01-14-17 07:56 PM
    Thank you. Perhaps (very likely :-) you are right and I was just imagining.

I thought there was something the sleeper magnet was turning off beyond screen sleep and keyboard lock.
    Sorry, double posting
    BTW, I was out of country since early May and did not access this forum until I came back late October. Then, I saw this thread title and immediately accessed it. Since then, I have been lurking here, thoroughly enjoying this discussion here and learning a lot about our beloved device with like-minded people.

A couple of days ago, a thought occurred to me to read this thread from the beginning. I went to page 5 or 6 but stopped it when I realized this was some170 page long thread. But this is a good reading material and I intend to keep reading along as my time permits. It's a very civil discussion and I could feel the enthusiasm of participants.

I commend Ralf and all usual suspects who are keeping this thread going. I do not know if this is a record number of posting in such a short time, but it only goes to show how RIM/BBRY missed the golden opportunity to attack the niche when everybody else is fighting a cut throat competition.

IMHO, it was not so much about the difference in platform, be it BB 7 or BB10 (BB10 by virtue of much modern platform, it is superior even on browser speed alone), but it is the difference in UI. OS is just the architecture to drive the device software but what we lament here is the abandoned UI that was so efficient and effective in Bold 9900. Yes, it is rather an archaic and old school hierarchical menu system and all that, but everything is right at our fingertip without unnecessary fanfare of fancy ornamental screen display etc. I can't imagine RIM alone could have come up with the programming of all these menu items. It must be a culmination of years of user inputs, and the company at the tim must have a mindset to collect customer inputs and incorporate them as much as possible. It's all business, but alas, new BBRY threw all these away and started from scratch.. When RIM let all these experienced and knowledgable programmers go, and started fresh on QNX, BBRY as we knew it died of a slow death.

Obviously, John Chen knew it or came to realization of it, and created Classic. It was close but not quite, or not the answer to the market demand.

I do not take space here to rehash my grievance but this thread reminds me of the opportunity RIM/BBRY missed, and I felt compelled to say these particularly after started reading this thread from the beginning.

Carry on guys, and back to regular programming :-)
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    01-14-17 08:28 PM
    BTW, I was out of country since early May and did not access this forum until I came back late October. Then, I saw this thread title and immediately accessed it. Since then, I have been lurking here, thoroughly enjoying this discussion here and learning a lot about our beloved device with like-minded people.

A couple of days ago, a thought occurred to me to read this thread from the beginning. I went to page 5 or 6 but stopped it when I realized this was some170 page long thread. But this is a good reading material and I intend to keep reading along as my time permits. It's a very civil discussion and I could feel the enthusiasm of participants.

I commend Ralf and all usual suspects who are keeping this thread going. I do not know if this is a record number of posting in such a short time, but it only goes to show how RIM/BBRY missed the golden opportunity to attack the niche when everybody else is fighting a cut throat competition.

IMHO, it was not so much about the difference in platform, be it BB 7 or BB10 (BB10 by virtue of much modern platform, it is superior even on browser speed alone), but it is the difference in UI. OS is just the architecture to drive the device software but what we lament here is the abandoned UI that was so efficient and effective in Bold 9900. Yes, it is rather an archaic and old school hierarchical menu system and all that, but everything is right at our fingertip without unnecessary fanfare of fancy ornamental screen display etc. I can't imagine RIM alone could have come up with the programming of all these menu items. It must be a culmination of years of user inputs, and the company at the tim must have a mindset to collect customer inputs and incorporate them as much as possible. It's all business, but alas, new BBRY threw all these away and started from scratch.. When RIM let all these experienced and knowledgable programmers go, and started fresh on QNX, BBRY as we knew it died of a slow death.

Obviously, John Chen knew it or came to realization of it, and created Classic. It was close but not quite, or not the answer to the market demand.

I do not take space here to rehash my grievance but this thread reminds me of the opportunity RIM/BBRY missed, and I felt compelled to say these particularly after started reading this thread from the beginning.

Carry on guys, and back to regular programming :-)
    haha thanks buddy and well said.

01-14-17 10:19 PM
    some time ago I started reading the 9900 forum and I got to the last 50 pages but I think I should start at page 1 from 2011 and that might be interesting to see the very first posts about this device we dig so much......like a time machine

01-14-17 10:21 PM
    01-15-17 01:40 AM
    I don't have a clue if the magnet case saves juice. But it might turn off the compass/proximity sensor while holstered. I also seem to get more battery life with the phone in the case, but it could be that I'm not checking it every five minutes.

I couldn't find a flip magnet case for the Bold, so bought the Flip Holster. There is not a more nerdy case for the Bold. But sweet to use.
    xanadome likes this.
    01-15-17 02:25 AM
    I don't have a clue if the magnet case saves juice. But it might turn off the compass/proximity sensor while holstered. I also seem to get more battery life with the phone in the case, but it could be that I'm not checking it every five minutes.

I couldn't find a flip magnet case for the Bold, so bought the Flip Holster. There is not a more nerdy case for the Bold. But sweet to use.
    I got the official BlackBerry hip holster magnetic case for $15 on eBay I believe, it was advertised as leather but It is vinyl which is still OK with me9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484469027.371595.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484469053.371028.jpg

Edit: I think it was $20 Cdn.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-15-17 at 02:43 AM.
    01-15-17 02:31 AM
    GREAT info! Eager to see more!! Have you tested BES ??
    On data slurping by Android: No, my curiosity was comparing a 'relatively secure' 2016 CyangogenMod Android with a BisBerry. I can do this with embedded firewall logs, and measuring quiescent data throughput. It is not in anyway an scientific test, but you lock down G-Services and you end up with a dumb phone. However, if you allow Play services back through, Google will update the phone and re-enable all the G-Services that you've disabled. There is no escape.

(Some apps still work, so it's not a complete lock-out.)

One of my interests is social politics, using my chums as covert guinea pigs. Several of them were locked into the 2 year contract scam, paying £30-40 a month for a phone and data plan, then moaning about the price. I get by with about £3 a month on PAYG Bis, and a £34 refurb BB9900 but I'm in front of a desktop all day. But - I can still accomplish more with a two minute voice call than I can in an hour of social media. Many can't.

It's my €3 worth that BIS was way ahead of its time, and BES even more valuable for mobile security. If BES is tight enough for POTUS, then that's a pretty good endorsement.

The Still Bold BBM group discussed it briefly, most users want functionality over security, where a few die-hards (us) want security over functionality. BisBerrys do that for very little cost, other than the uncertainty over the future of BIS.

The social generation moved rapidly away from the old chat clients like Skype and BBM with the arrival of FaceBook, Whatsapp, Hangouts, Snapchat and Instagram as they found new 'fun' ways of communicating for free. It's the 'free' model that is the most corrosive for security. Even Skype has become a platform for advertising, and none of my chums now use it. They expect me to move to Whatsapp, with the result that they have cut themselves off when I declined.

We can't foretell the future, other than to see that monetisation of personal data will increase. There's a growing resistance to using 'old-fashioned' comms; voice calls are seen as intrusive, SMS texts are 'expensive' and the free model, with your personal data as the product sweeps all before it.

There are two worries; what's happening now, and what will happen in the future as data is never deleted, and T&C's allow data miners to use your personal data for any info, on any platform, in the future.

So, what to do? BBOs10 is still secure, but uses more mobile data than a BisBerry, so when BIS dies, that's possibly where I'll be. The price of BB10 handsets is dropping, which helps. :-)
    idssteve and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    01-15-17 02:58 AM
    "I got the official BlackBerry hip holster magnetic case for $15 on eBay I believe, it was advertised as leather but It is vinyl which is still OK with me"

That's what I have. I confused 'flip' with 'hip.' Better a flipster than a hipster, or something. :-)
    01-15-17 03:02 AM
    On data slurping by Android: No, my curiosity was comparing a 'relatively secure' 2016 CyangogenMod Android with a BisBerry. I can do this with embedded firewall logs, and measuring quiescent data throughput. It is not in anyway an scientific test, but you lock down G-Services and you end up with a dumb phone. However, if you allow Play services back through, Google will update the phone and re-enable all the G-Services that you've disabled. There is no escape.

One of my interests is social politics, using my chums as covert guinea pigs. Several of them were locked into the 2 year contract scam, paying £30-40 a month for a phone and data plan, then moaning about the price. I get by with about £3 a month on PAYG Bis, and a £34 refurb BB9900 but I'm in front of a desktop all day. But - I can still accomplish more with a two minute voice call than I can in an hour of social media. Many can't.

It's my €3 worth that BIS was way ahead of its time, and BES even more valuable for mobile security. If BES is tight enough for POTUS, then that's a pretty good endorsement.

The Still Bold BBM group discussed it briefly, most users want functionality over security, where a few die-hards (us) want security over functionality. BisBerrys do that for very little cost, other than the uncertainty over the future of BIS.

The social generation moved rapidly away from the old chat clients like Skype and BBM with the arrival of FaceBook, Whatsapp, Hangouts, Snapchat and Instagram as they found new 'fun' ways of communicating for free. It's the 'free' model that is the most corrosive for security. Even Skype has become a platform for advertising, and none of my chums now use it. They expect me to move to Whatsapp, with the result that they have cut themselves off when I declined.

We can't foretell the future, other than to see that monetisation of personal data will increase. There's a growing resistance to using 'old-fashioned' comms; voice calls are seen as intrusive, SMS texts are 'expensive' and the free model, with your personal data as the product sweeps all before it.

There are two worries; what's happening now, and what will happen in the future as data is never deleted, and T&C's allow data miners to use your personal data for any info, on any platform, in the future.

So, what to do? BBOs10 is still secure, but uses more mobile data than a BisBerry, so when BIS dies, that's possibly where I'll be. The price of BB10 handsets is dropping, which helps. :-)
    Post of the day! So true about social media and I really think it is because people complain of boredom and most could never survive on a 9900 nowadays. No Snapchat, Whatsapp, Kik, Line Viber, Wechat, KakaoTalk, you name it. I have to confess I am guilty of this also.

You mentioned the future of social media and the things we posted. This was an interesting phenomenon during the last Canadian election a year ago. Several potential MP's or Members of Parliament had to quit over embarrassing or racist tweets they had done years before and it came back to haunt them. One of them was a girl who was one of our Prime Minister's top picks and she had to resign

I will also mention how social media can and is used to attack or slander people and it is a great place for cowards to perform such activities for whatever reason.

01-15-17 03:14 AM
    I remember finding this article over a year ago when I was trying to research how secure BBOS still might be. Now I'm sure that BB10 is much better now because there were updates, but I still thought this was interesting for the time.....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/41...ish-government
    01-15-17 03:24 AM
    I remember finding this article over a year ago when I was trying to research how secure BBOS still might be. Now I'm sure that BB10 is much better now because there were updates, but I still thought this was interesting for the time.....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/41...ish-government
    I saw that, and also an update which I can't find, and may have imagined, that updated BB10 had been passed in the UK. Or perhaps Dtek/Priv.

Oh: Here: BB10 is NIAP Certified: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-off...elease-os-1033

BIS/7 was passed: http://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-gove...curity-rating/

I have just ordered a Q10 and will try to log-test that to see what it emits in terms of my private life. :-) To be honest, I'd rather have my data mined by Canada rather than by Zuckerberg, but, y'know, security (in terms of what we emit) it's all relative.
    01-15-17 04:00 AM

As a "Professional Scientist" (engineer lol) I'm first to concede checkered flag supremacy at the race track. Rubber on road reality. Things like pneumatic tires and piston rings were NEVER predicted by the "lab coat crowd" . SO much in our technological lives originated thru efforts of SO many folks too "uneducated" to "know" it couldn't be done... Lol. Then, overeducated self proclaimed "scientists" spend the next century, or so, explaining how it works... Go figure... Lol. There's certainly a place for "hard science", but don't forget to embrace your "non-scientific" research. Open minds are TOO precious, these days.
    01-15-17 04:24 AM

If you could look for a seller by the name hoco2 on eBay, you may find a flip case with magnet. The seller lists the cases on eBay UK, US, and Ireland, and aldo on Amazon US. He had a flip case for around £10 a couple of weeks ago and may still have it at same price. The case brand is Icarer if I got the spelling right. Piel Frama would be the best but it will cost more than the phone. There are a few other brands but prices are around U$ 30-50 so simply too much.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-15-17 05:38 AM
    ^^^ Thank you, I'll check.
    01-15-17 07:23 AM
    I am thrilled that I finally got my Kindle working again! Apparently, even though my 9930 is not activated and runs on wifi, the Kindle app still wants network turned on along with wifi in order to work. I don't understand why.

The bright side is that, while trying to fix the problem, I also learned how to read epub and pdf files on the Kindle, so it is now my do-it-all ereader.

I'm very happy about this. The small screen doesn't bother me at all, and my 9930 is now my favorite ereader device. It is extremely portable, one-hand operational, has great visibility in full sunlight, and lasts a long time on one full charge.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a new phone (modern specs look so awesome), but then I always come back to one realization - my passport and 9930 handle all my mobile needs just fine. A new phone wouldn't do anything my blackberries can't already do that I need/want to get done, and sometimes do far better than a new 2017 phone might (ie., keyboard, hub, daylight visibilty, etc.).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    01-15-17 10:54 AM
8,754 ... 171172173174175 ...