Yes I'm from Poland. Please add me to the group 9900. 2B76EE6D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Invited

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-12-17 09:53 PM
    That's realistic for heavy use. I think devotional is talking more "Stand By" time. What I find is that when I'm traveling, and the phone is constantly hunting for cell towers, and switching a lot, that REALLY eats up battery life. I do travel with two batteries, AND that Battery CASE I listed above. I love it. I'll snap a pic of my 9900 in it tomorrow. I wouldn't leave home without it. The case uses the contact pads on the bottom of the 9900 to charge it via the battery in the case.
    So what would you say the range of your battery life is?

01-12-17 09:54 PM
    Day II of Google Frei boldering. Battery life seems good, down to 40% after 20 hours. I have Battery Saver always on.

No web browsing, but a dozen emails, four phone calls, and a stack of pics from 9900-BBM Group

Data use seems very moderate compared to 'droid horrors. 20 Euro-cents only for yesterday.

Phone made in Hungary 2. It's a EuroBerry!

Find myself wishing for slightly larger screen for BBM but email is fine, sound quality is excellent for calls, best I've heard, yet, I think. Notification light is vital.

Bold touch screen gets used more for text editing than anything else. Weird that the PKB and Toolbar, and the wee scrolly button are so vital.

'Block 'em' call blocking app from BBworld also works well, after you've set up the permissions and restarted. Blocks 'no number calls, private calls', and individual numbers.

Onwards to Day II of Boldering.
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-13-17 at 03:41 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-13-17 12:37 AM
    Day II of Google Frei boldering. Battery life seems good, down to 40% after 20 hours. I have Battery Saver always on.

No web browsing, but a dozen emails, four phone calls, and a stack of pics from 9900-BBM Group

Data use seems very moderate compared to 'droid horrors. 20 Euro-cents only for yesterday.

Find myself wishing for slightly larger screen for BBM but email is fine, sound quality is excellent for calls, best I've heard, yet, I think. Notification light is vital.

Bold touch screen gets used more for text editing than anything else. Weird that the PKB and Toolbar, and the wee scrolly button are so vital.

'Block 'em' call blocking app from BBworld also works well, after you've set up the permissions and restarted. Blocks 'no number calls, private calls', and individual numbers.

Great to hear! Small screen, even with my old eyes, still works nicely thanks to zoom shortcuts. "I" for zoom in. "O" for zoom out... Gets used a lot on mine. Also other shortcuts. "T" for top, "B" for bottom. "N" for next. "P" for previous... Etc..

Speed dials are wonderful, also. I assign "P" to most called speed dial since it's easiest found by feel, for example. "5" is also easy tactile.

Are you planning to browse at all? Or is this security oriented? I've been using DuckDuckGo search, fwiw. Any thoughts on Opera Mini?
    01-13-17 05:00 AM
    So i put the new battery into the phone last night and it must have been dead because i just got the empty battery screen with a yellow lightening sign on it, what does this mean? the battery is defective? or it has 0% power? how long should it take to charge? i had to take it out and use the old battery again because i needed to use my phone.

thanks.

01-13-17 05:02 AM
    Great to hear! Small screen, even with my old eyes, still works nicely thanks to zoom shortcuts. "I" for zoom in. "O" for zoom out... Gets used a lot on mine. Also other shortcuts. "T" for top, "B" for bottom. "N" for next. "P" for previous... Etc..

Speed dials are wonderful, also. I assign "P" to most called speed dial since it's easiest found by feel, for example. "5" is also easy tactile.

Are you planning to browse at all? Or is this security oriented? I've been using DuckDuckGo search, fwiw. Any thoughts on Opera Mini?
    Speed-dials are cool. That chirrup it makes is just like Obama's phone. :-)

Opera browser seems fine. Thanks for shortcuts, I'll try them. A swivel holster arrived today, the cat likes sitting on the BB for some reason, now cat free.

The battery, which I presume from its filthy state is at least five years old. But it's holding a charge well. I have a new one 'coming from Japan' on order. Also have a battery charge-pack from yesteryear's Z10 for backup.

BB Maps is also good enough, car has a satnav, but maps are useful in strange cities.

Biggest bonus is that BIS is free from my carrier, I'm just charged for data at £0.01p per megabyte.
    01-13-17 05:26 AM
    I'd say very good. 21 hours (of even standby) is exceptional for a 9900. So your battery life is fine.
    Gee. My standby on 9930 lasts a week!! With my normal level of usage, about 4 days on/off standby.

Sadly, I can't get kindle working on it anymore. It won't recognize Internet connection, even when browser works, so I can't download new kindle ebooks. I could try converting epub to mobi and load up via USB that way, but that is a poor workaround.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-13-17 12:39 PM
    Gee. My standby on 9930 lasts a week!! With my normal level of usage, about 4 days on/off standby.

Sadly, I can't get kindle working on it anymore. It won't recognize Internet connection, even when browser works, so I can't download new kindle ebooks. I could try converting epub to mobi and load up via USB that way, but that is a poor workaround.

If I want some book on my 9900 via Kindle app I just download the book and copy this book to Kindle folder and then I can see it in Kindle app. .
    01-13-17 01:03 PM
    I did have a Z10, but it didn't like being washed at 60C with a fast spin cycle.
    I'm sure..!! Too bad; I adored my Z10 (still in the drawer), but it was locked to AT&T -- my last locked phone.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-13-17 01:05 PM
    So i put the new battery into the phone last night and it must have been dead because i just got the empty battery screen with a yellow lightening sign on it, what does this mean? the battery is defective?
    If you got one of those OEM batteries on Amazon, many of them have been sitting around for a loooong time. I got one that performed admirably for two weeks and then failed spectacularly. I ended buying a new one at a Batteries Plus store. Expensive, but I can count on it.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Last edited by David Tyler; 01-13-17 at 09:38 PM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-13-17 01:10 PM

I must've tried about a half a dozen call blocking apps and none of them ever seem to work and then I wonder what happens when you delete the app does it allow the calls then, blah

EDIT: I had one of them that I think worked, but it was a time trial or only let you block 5 at a time, can't recall. It was the app that looked like a red "stop" sign.....

There just always seems to be a catch to those apps.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-13-17 at 09:12 PM.
    01-13-17 08:44 PM
    So i put the new battery into the phone last night and it must have been dead because i just got the empty battery screen with a yellow lightening sign on it, what does this mean? the battery is defective? or it has 0% power? how long should it take to charge? i had to take it out and use the old battery again because i needed to use my phone.

thanks.

Did you see that I revived my old battery thread so you could check it out?
    01-13-17 08:46 PM

My mistake. I really didn't mean "Standby" but "low-use" where you are just checking emails, and simple things. No phone calls.

I can't do Kindle on a 9900. The screen is WAY too small. The Passport is as small as I can go for a reading device, and even that's small to me. For reading, I really like a device 8" or larger. The standard Kindle Paperwhite is even too small for me. Personally, a 10" device is about right. YMMV.
    01-13-17 10:05 PM
    So what would you say the range of your battery life is?

Let me preface by saying a "typical" day for me includes Wifi, Cellular AND "BRIDGE" linked to my Playbook. That draws extra power.

OK, a "Typical" business day usage for ME, I'd say a STOCK BlackBerry battery lasted me about 10 hours. If I recall correctly. It's been a while since I had a stock battery in a 9900 The "Extended" batteries I now use lasts about 12 hours. With the Battery CASE I listed, I get about 18 hours average with battery case then extended battery draining. That's enough for a flight from New York to Honolulu using the WiFi the entire time via SkyFi to check your messages and emails wile listening to Music the entire time, and then using the phone for emails and phone calls all the way to your hotel or condo if you have a winter home there, and then listening to music for a few hours when you get there while you are unpacking and unwiding. That's a long time for any phone to be used that heavily.

If you are a very heavy user that talks non-stop or are traveling via car and switching from tower to tower, that really is hard on your battery, so you are going to get less. It seems these days I talk less and email/text/social media more. If you are using your phone periodically, you may get a day plus an additional 1/2 a day before you have to find an AC outlet.

I also travel with one of those solar battery chargers. Have you seen them? This one is VERY light, and is VERY powerful. You don't need direct sunlight for them to work. Just daylight charges them. They are not solar PANELS, they are solar BATTERIES and do NOT like direct sunlight. They get to hot in direct sunlight. You can even charge them in a hotel window or your home window or an airplane window. They are powerful enough to charge an iPad fully, and charge your BBerry as well (TWICE) on one charge. They even have a bright led light built in for emergencies. I really never travel without one now. I was once stranded in an airport for 15 hours and all the AC outlets were in use and people were getting livid and fighting over them. I just sat there near a window and let the solar charger recharge itself as it powered my cell phone and tablet nicely. It was a life saver.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZ5YWFE...UvbUpU12729990

These can save your butt if you can't get to an AC outlet and you need cell phone power, or tablet power. You get a 1 amp output and a 2 amp output for your tablet. You can plug in both at the same time to charge. It's a solar BATTERY charger, so you can charge it, and then use it later at night if you wish. Amazing little device for under 20 bucks American.

I have to say the Passport has a whopping battery, BUT, it is NOT user serviceable. It's sealed in the phone like an iPhone. That really bothers me as nothing lasts forever. Can you imagine where we'd be if we could not easily replace our 9900 batteries at this late date after product release?

I just had an iPhone 4s go south on me because the battery finally died. I was using it for music streaming the last three years or so. Yes, I could crack the thing open and solder in a new one, but that's a pain. I much prefer being able to remove and replace the battery easily via a door in 30 seconds VS a few hours.
    Last edited by BBerryPowerUser; 01-13-17 at 10:41 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-13-17 10:23 PM
    Let me preface by saying a "typical" day for me includes Wifi, Cellular AND "BRIDGE" linked to my Playbook. That draws extra power.

OK, a "Typical" business day usage for ME, I'd say a STOCK BlackBerry battery lasted me about 10 hours. If I recall correctly. It's been a while since I had a stock battery in a 9900 The "Extended" batteries I now use lasts about 12 hours. With the Battery CASE I listed, I get about 18 hours average with battery case then extended battery draining. That's enough for a flight from New York to Honolulu using the WiFi the entire time via SkyFi to check your messages and emails wile listening to Music the entire time, and then using the phone for emails and phone calls all the way to your hotel or condo if you have a winter home there, and then listening to music for a few hours when you get there while you are unpacking and unwiding. That's a long time for any phone to be used that heavily.

If you are a very heavy user that talks non-stop or are traveling via car and switching from tower to tower, that really is hard on your battery, so you are going to get less. It seems these days I talk less and email/text/social media more. If you are using your phone periodically, you may get a day plus an additional 1/2 a day before you have to find an AC outlet.

I also travel with one of those solar battery chargers. Have you seen them? This one is VERY light, and is VERY powerful. You don't need direct sunlight for them to work. Just daylight charges them. They are not solar PANELS, they are solar BATTERIES and do NOT like direct sunlight. They get to hot in direct sunlight. You can even charge them in a hotel window or your home window or an airplane window. They are powerful enough to charge an iPad fully, and charge your BBerry as well (TWICE) on one charge. They even have a bright led light built in for emergencies. I really never travel without one now. I was once stranded in an airport for 15 hours and all the AC outlets were in use and people were getting livid and fighting over them. I just sat there near a window and let the solar charger recharge itself as it powered my cell phone and tablet nicely. It was a life saver.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZ5YWFE...UvbUpU12730027

These can save your butt if you can't get to an AC outlet and you need cell phone power, or tablet power. You get a 1 amp output and a 2 amp output for your tablet. You can plug in both at the same time to charge. It's a solar BATTERY charger, so you can charge it, and then use it later at night if you wish. Amazing little device for under 20 bucks American.

I have to say the Passport has a whopping battery, BUT, it is NOT user serviceable. It's sealed in the phone like an iPhone. That really bothers me as nothing lasts forever. Can you imagine where we'd be if we could not easily replace our 9900 batteries at this late date after product release?

I just had an iPhone 4s go south on me because the battery finally died. I was using it for music streaming the last three years or so. Yes, I could crack the thing open and solder in a new one, but that's a pain. I much prefer being able to remove and replace the battery easily via a door in 30 seconds VS a few hours.
    Interesting gadgets that you always seem to know about, you should change your name to James Bond to make it easier

18 hours with the extended battery pack and people are saying they are getting a few days to a week. I'm thinking they must be nuclear powered because my 9900 with a fairly new battery from 2015 (new when I took delivery) is only good for 6 hours full use and at the most maybe a day and a half on standby when I use the iphone and i just let the 99 sit on the table connected to wifi. The stats here are interesting because they are so diverse in time.

take it from someone who has had their iphone battery replaced, it can be sone in about 20 minutes BUT the 5C's battery is glued in so tight you have to know what you are doing to not bend it and risk it blowing up, likely. When the guys at my electronics shop showed it to me it had quite a bend on one end from prying it out.

until the 5C cannot be updated anymore, that is when it will go for sale. I'm kinda hoping it will jam up secretly like it did on ios 10 and then I will be forced to use my 9900 as a phone again...

01-13-17 11:17 PM
    I must've tried about a half a dozen call blocking apps and none of them ever seem to work and then I wonder what happens when you delete the app does it allow the calls then, blah

EDIT: I had one of them that I think worked, but it was a time trial or only let you block 5 at a time, can't recall. It was the app that looked like a red "stop" sign.....

There just always seems to be a catch to those apps.
    I agree, so much junk, both on BBWorld and Android. Block'Em (BBWorld) was produced for an anti-bullying campaign, I think, and is ad-free. It's quirky that the permissions sometimes don't seem to 'take' but it blocks calls from the 'Withheld Number' spam-call merchants once it's working. Needs a batt-pull, it seems, to start it.

Normally I don't answer Withheld numbers, but the car has hands-free and the 9900 has auto-answer on Bluetooth, so you can guess the rest.

The name 'Crackberry' is suited, with the BisBerrys (previous Curve also) that 'ding-ding' as a group message or email comes in over BIS is highly addictive. I'm developing a Pavlovian hand-twitch every time it dings. Thank the Lord I don't have a FaceBook or Twitter account.

The only thing with the 9900 that annoys is the small screen. I miss the Z10, but I love the OS7 and BIS working, so I'll live with it.
    01-13-17 11:20 PM
    If you got one of those OEM batteries on Amazon, many of them have been sitting around for a loooong time. I got one that performed admirably for two weeks and then failed spectacularly. I ended buying a new one at a Batteries Plus store. Expensive, but I can count on it.

Same exact situation that I experienced with the new one I got in January!!!!! After getting the red x off it and seemingly it worked great for a while, ultimately it failed because I let it sit too long while conditioning my other batteries and its almost like it had a severe discharge rate or something. It was well beyond any "recovery" at that point and I had to give it my regards for the afterlife....

01-13-17 11:20 PM
    Welcome aboard!

Out of curiosity, what sort of firewall analysis were you performing? I generally leave that sort of thing to my "smart guys" at work but have been watching wifi activity logs on routers at home. Especially destination IPs. Eye opening. Particularly since bringing a Dtek60 home these past couple weeks. ??

We have a few CyanogenMod phones in the UK now, WileyFox Swift and Swift 2 are Android but with CM installed. Out of the box, and with no Google account or SIM inserted they're useful for comparing what is leaking out over the network.

We TinFoil Hatters are wary of everything that covertly goes out, and so even basic apps like Ccleaner ask for permissions to read contacts. TrueCaller, installed by default, uploads your contacts, so if your phone number is on a friend's phone, it will be collected and listed in TrueCaller. And so on.

I've got 48 hours of firewall logs now, and the amount of data bytes collected by Google services is astonishing. At the moment, on the account-free phone, Google Account Manager, G-backup, and all the rest are trying to phone home once every three seconds. They keep trying if access is blocked, which is pervasive. (see time-stamps on pic) . Well, so, what? But over 24 hours the log has 28,000 attempts.

The way this data is collected is also sly, nothing much happens within six hours of cold-starting the phone, then, with no updates, accounts or apps installed, Google starts collecting location, usage and wifi data. So Android gives a lot of functionality, but users are covertly paying for it.

BB-OS7 also phones home, but the amount of data sent is miniscule in comparison, and it's a question of who do we trust more, RIM/BB or Google?

Hence my continued preference for the 9900, and BIS.

In the log below, the shield icon is a blocked data request sent into a VPN sink, jigsaw piece is Google Account Manager. This is just 17 seconds of logging on a new phone with no Google account. There's plenty more. :-)

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-screenshot_20170114-052437.png
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    01-13-17 11:52 PM
    We have a few CyanogenMod phones in the UK now, WileyFox Swift and Swift 2 are Android but with CM installed. Out of the box, and with no Google account or SIM inserted they're useful for comparing what is leaking out over the network.

We TinFoil Hatters are wary of everything that covertly goes out, and so even basic apps like Ccleaner ask for permissions to read contacts. TrueCaller, installed by default, uploads your contacts, so if your phone number is on a friend's phone, it will be collected and listed in TrueCaller. And so on.

I've got 48 hours of firewall logs now, and the amount of data bytes collected by Google services is astonishing. At the moment, on the account-free phone, Google Account Manager, G-backup, and all the rest are trying to phone home once every three seconds. They keep trying if access is blocked, which is pervasive. (see time-stamps on pic) . Well, so, what? But over 24 hours the log has 28,000 attempts.

The way this data is collected is also sly, nothing much happens within six hours of cold-starting the phone, then, with no updates, accounts or apps installed, Google starts collecting location, usage and wifi data. So Android gives a lot of functionality, but users are covertly paying for it.

BB-OS7 also phones home, but the amount of data sent is miniscule in comparison, and it's a question of who do we trust more, RIM/BB or Google?

Hence my continued preference for the 9900, and BIS.

In the log below, the shield icon is a blocked data request sent into a VPN sink, jigsaw piece is Google Account Manager. This is just 17 seconds of logging on a new phone with no Google account. There's plenty more. :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170114-052437.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	415796
    Interesting post, I think everyone needs to see stuff like this.
    01-14-17 12:03 AM
    Interesting post, I think everyone needs to see stuff like this.
    What I want for 2018 is a BB Bold, with PKB, BBOs7, a ten year warranty that BIS will be available, and a 60mm wide square screen. Oh, that's nearly a Passport.

Maybe a Kickstarter for a 'stealth' cryptophone that uses the 9900 chassis and a user configurable firewall? Let's call it the BlackBird 9900.

I'll drop Chen an email and a link to this thread. :-)

Now back to my collection of jazz 78's and the coal fire.
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-14-17 at 01:58 AM.
    01-14-17 01:45 AM
    What I want for 2018 is a BB Bold, with PKB, BBOs7, a ten year warranty that BIS will be available, and a 60mm wide square screen. Oh, that's nearly a Passport.

Maybe a Kickstarter for a 'stealth' cryptophone that uses the 9900 chassis and a user configurable firewall? Let's call it the BlackBird 9900.

I'll drop Chen an email and a link to this thread. :-)

Now back to my collection of jazz 78's and the coal fire.
    It might be easier for us to build a time machine, I have a hammer you bring the rest of the materials :-)

I would be happy with small security software updates since so many people millions still use BBOS as well as if blackberry themselves Took initiative to create the occasional new app for messaging or update a few important existing ones. Wasn't it BlackBerry under Thorsten Heins that once announced paying app developers up to $10,000......but that didn't work out too well, so how about Blackberry developing apps and they could still make $ off this from existing users. They could hire people just for apps.

Since we are talking about our dreams here, that's just off the top of my head.....hypothetically

BTW I think I found your dream 9900 .....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...antom-1082409/
    01-14-17 03:08 AM
    "It might be easier for us to build a time machine"

As the old saying goes; 'If anyone invents a time machine in the future, we'd all have one by now.'

So I must sit in my darkened BB9900-equipped Faraday cell, waiting for Zuckerberg to invade my BlackBerry.

A new 'Made In Japan' battery arrived today. Being Japanese I hope it's going to run 100,000 miles without an oil change.

Encrypto: There's always the Cryptophone, recommended by laptop-botherer Julian Assange. Trouble is, to get the best out of it you need to be locked in a first floor cell in the Ecuador Embassy for the rest of your life. This is truly Freedom as We Know It.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-14-17 03:48 AM
    Well, I've just ordered a 'new' 9900 from Ebay UK seller - mad or what!?

It's arrived and it is a truly beautiful thing ...
    BUT in testing I found that the L key is hypersensitive such that L characters appear when simply brushed and without depressing the key

What a shame, returning to seller for refund or exchange .... I'm really hoping they have others in stock
    01-14-17 04:11 AM
    It's arrived and it is a truly beautiful thing ...
    BUT in testing I found that the L key is hypersensitive such that L characters appear when simply brushed and without depressing the key

What a shame, returning to seller for refund or exchange .... I'm really hoping they have others in stock
    Well, that's a bummer. I had a couple of 'new' Curves that were in pristine cases but had a couple of thousand minutes use in the BUYR screen, so returned them.

My refurb 'Grade A' is mostly clean from these people. Has a 1000 minutes of calls, but is good at the price and very clean.
    01-14-17 05:00 AM
    I think I didn't get response on Logicmai incoming server error. Any help will be appreciated

And in uber social, is there any way to see notifications on likes and RTs
    01-14-17 07:00 AM
8,754 ... 170171172173174 ...