I agree. In hindsight I misunderstood. And for that I apologize.

Here's what I misunderstood. You posted, "I heed the post above regarding the Classic". I jumped the gun...looking back it seems you were saying he should pose the same question to Classic users, referring to a post I missed.

Thus, I thought you were referring to my post...which was a head scratcher for me. That's the only reason I responded about about the camera comment.

So yeah, I agree...my comment wasn't necessary and yours made sense when read in the correct order of comments. Again, my apologies. My bad.
    I have profound respect for anyone who owns up to their mistakes whether real or imagined. It's quite refreshing in this day and age. I'm going out on a limb to guess you're over 50 like me.

Posted On CB10 With My Passport
    visserjr3 likes this.
    11-23-16 05:10 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies! (is there a convenient way to quote different posts in a single one?)

I'm now more inclined than ever to buy it. Still deciding on whether to get a cheap used 9900 to experiment with or go straight for a new one.

I do have some follow-up questions!

How does gmail work? I've seen some previous posts complaining about it, does it work reliably or does it need frequent maintenance / setting it up again?

Assuming there's no facebook messenger app available and I'm on a pinch, is it possible to use the messenger through the browser?

Also a tiny not so tiny request that might please others too, could one of you productivity experts ( idssteve and Ralph Morgotch, you both seem to be very at ease with the phone) record yourselves writing down a couple of texts and juggling through emails using your shortcuts, etc? I'd love to see some of that in action, and I'm sure others would love to compare their workflow with yours!
    Gmail works perfectly, it just takes different options to get it working on peoples devices, some people are lucky where they can just turn on "allow less secure devices access" and the 2 step verification in the gmail account, however i wasn't so lucky, i contacted blackberry and they gave me a link to the blackberry help webpage with the instructions on how to set up the gmail account, you need to confirm the account with a specific link in your blackberry browser while signed into the gmail account, it's very easy i had my email account set up in a minute. I created a forum How To Fix The Gmail Issue with the link to the webpage. The official Facebook Messenger has stopped service since Nov 21st however i can confirm its working as normal since then if you don't download the new version in blackberry app world, i think you can search for the bar file online with the version name and you can get it. A little tip, when you sign into the facebook messenger it may say Network Connection Error, just select the options and click refresh a few times and it should start showing the chat conversations. I hope this information helps, i've been using my 9900 since June and have been loving every minute of it, i even sold my Q10 in september.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-23-16 06:01 PM
    Just found this thread. Have been using my 9900 daily since July 2012. Funny thing is today bought a priv in the Black Friday sale and about to trade my full size sim for my first nano. Already feeling nostalgic for 9900 - It looks mint, has had 3 leather pouches, 3 batteries, and a replacement keyboard (which I fitted after it started double typing some letters). I still have blackberry services with T-Mobile uk on 3G.
    Wow! That's what I call dedication and especially since you weren't swayed by any flashy iPhones or giant glass slab androids until now.

I'm curious, ever experience a blown ear speaker? I had to get mine replaced this summer.
    11-23-16 08:01 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies! (is there a convenient way to quote different posts in a single one?)

I'm now more inclined than ever to buy it. Still deciding on whether to get a cheap used 9900 to experiment with or go straight for a new one.

I do have some follow-up questions!

How does gmail work? I've seen some previous posts complaining about it, does it work reliably or does it need frequent maintenance / setting it up again?

Assuming there's no facebook messenger app available and I'm on a pinch, is it possible to use the messenger through the browser?

Also a tiny not so tiny request that might please others too, could one of you productivity experts ( idssteve and Ralph Morgotch, you both seem to be very at ease with the phone) record yourselves writing down a couple of texts and juggling through emails using your shortcuts, etc? I'd love to see some of that in action, and I'm sure others would love to compare their workflow with yours!
    As mentioned Gmail can be tricky but I would say that for most that follow the procedure link on how to do it, it does work. Some have issues, but they usually pull through. Once Gmail is set up that's it. No more steps ever required, at least in the year since I have set it up.

Forget FB Messenger (although I sure would like to know why I got a little pop up on my screen from App World the other day saying The Jared Company built a NEW FB Messenger and I SHOULD have downloaded it right then because now when I search it I do not see it!) But that said, I use both the native FB app's Online chat feature and the browser version (I have the browser version saved as a fav) because I find that one will sometimes do something the other might not.

Steve is the expert on shortcuts as I only use a couple of them. He has quite an extensive list but for myself personally I find the 9900 so fast and efficient when I am using it that I just don't feel the need to use shortcuts. I probably only use the 9900 to 40% of its potential, but that doesn't mean I do not use it for a lot of things. It basically replaces my iPhone when I do use it and it better be able to keep up to me, and it does.

I have fun making the vids and I will make more eventually. Right now I am using the iPhone with the sim installed so it will have to wait a little while. I am pretty involved with a couple peeps in Snapchat that demands attention right now, but I do pick up the 9900 daily to use for Crackberry, Twitter and Facebook and I have no problems with the browser for general Google searches, etc.
    11-23-16 08:14 PM
    I'm planning to buy used 9900 in india

I've spoken to one person who wanted to sell his used 9900 for 2000 Rs only

He said display stip is having some issues and due to which display is on and off

Wanted to check with you if it is small problem or major one

Posted via CB10
    New screens in Canada cost $22. Meanwhile to get an iPhone screen replaced here is $100! Not to mention the several dozen of helpful Youtube vids showing how to change a 9900 screen, Keyboard, speaker, etc it should be ok if you have the patience
    11-23-16 08:21 PM
    I have profound respect for anyone who owns up to their mistakes whether real or imagined. It's quite refreshing in this day and age. I'm going out on a limb to guess you're over 50 like me.

Well thank you...my father taught me well. He's over 50....me just a humble 36 year old.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    11-23-16 08:47 PM
    For those of you still using FB Messenger on your 99s:

http://crackberry.com/facebook-messe...-7-and-earlier

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    11-23-16 11:17 PM
    For those of you still using FB Messenger on your 99s:

http://crackberry.com/facebook-messe...-7-and-earlier

I want some clarification on this. Will the native FB chat/message feature work?

It should work on the FB web version I would assume?
    11-24-16 02:57 AM
    One more thing about our old friend Bold 9900 - do you know that in some countries there is a possibility to pay in shops using your Bold via NFC? I used to do it a few times in the past in my country - Poland.
    11-24-16 06:28 AM

Pretty good idea. See what I can do asap.
    11-24-16 06:42 AM
    I want some clarification on this. Will the native FB chat/message feature work?

It should work on the FB web version I would assume?
    The FB messenger app will stop working, but you should still be able to use a browser to access FB messages.

11-24-16 08:07 AM
    The FB messenger app will stop working, but you should still be able to use a browser to access FB messages.

You know as far as I can tell it's not BlackBerry that let us down it's Zuckerberg. Everything relating to him, Whatsapp and Facebook, probably the two most important apps for some of us. And I say that because B I S is still available. They could've pulled the plug on B I S a while back.

I will continue to use the browser version then this doesn't change anything.
    11-24-16 11:23 AM
    You know it's far as I can tell it's not BlackBerry that let us down it's Zuckerberg everything relating to him Whatsapp and Facebook, probably the two most important apps for some of us. And I say that because B I S is still available. They could've pulled the plug on B I S a while back.

The original app version still works if you didn't upgrade it in the app world just like with the facebook app, zuckerberg is only concerned about security when its his information to protect but he wants access to every users information in facebook and whatsapp and thats why blackberry is getting penalized because BB10 can handle a lot of new things they would implement, and OS7 can handle a lot too.

11-24-16 11:29 AM
    I was just thinking. Perhaps a thread, shorter than this one, could list the steps to activate a Bold 9900 and set up stuff. There is some great stuff in this one, but it is a very large thread. You know like
    1. Charge the battery
    2. Get a BIS from your carrier
    3. Insert sim

Etc

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    11-24-16 11:38 AM
    You know as far as I can tell it's not BlackBerry that let us down it's Zuckerberg. Everything relating to him, Whatsapp and Facebook, probably the two most important apps for some of us. And I say that because B I S is still available. They could've pulled the plug on B I S a while back.

You think that's bad, Skype only works on Windows Mobile 10. They've (Microsoft) dropped support for WP8 which happens to be on over 80% of all Windows phones. Talk about a kick in the cojones.

11-24-16 01:16 PM
    You think that's bad, Skype only works on Windows Mobile 10. They've (Microsoft) dropped support for WP8 which happens to be on over 80% of all Windows phones. Talk about a kick in the cojones.

Ironically, Skype still works on BB10, which has less market share. Only thanks to the Android runtime. But still, it's kinda funny.

11-24-16 01:28 PM
    The original app version still works if you didn't upgrade it in the app world just like with the facebook app, zuckerberg is only concerned about security when its his information to protect but he wants access to every users information in facebook and whatsapp and thats why blackberry is getting penalized because BB10 can handle a lot of new things they would implement, and OS7 can handle a lot too.

Yes but I'm wondering about the Messenger part of the original native app that we use. Because we do use the older version of Facebook on our devices, well I do. I call it messenger in the original native app because basically when we click on line in the message part that basically is a live messenger right? Maybe we are confusing some of these terms I'm not sure.

Sidenote: ran into a guy at a grocery lineup today in front of me who was using a BlackBerry, I asked him what it is and I honestly couldn't tell if it was a 9900 or 9780 because it had a giant case on it but it was definitely black. So we talked a little about WhatsApp and Facebook and he knew about the whatsapp being killed off but he did not know it was extended until June. His whatsapp was working beautifully but I guess he never logged out like I did when I switchedSims to go back to the iPhone, so that must be the trick to keep it working because my whatsapp died a month ago.
    11-24-16 02:56 PM
    Yes but I'm wondering about the Messenger part of the original native app that we use. Because we do use the older version of Facebook on our devices, well I do. I call it messenger in the original native app because basically when we click on line in the message part that basically is a live messenger right? Maybe we are confusing some of these terms I'm not sure.

Sidenote: ran into a guy at a grocery lineup today in front of me who was using a BlackBerry, I asked him what it is and I honestly couldn't tell if it was a 9900 or 9780 because it had a giant case on it but it was definitely black. So we talked a little about WhatsApp and Facebook and he knew about the whatsapp being killed off but he did not know it was extended until June. His whatsapp was working beautifully but I guess he never logged out like I did when I switchedSims to go back to the iPhone, so that must be the trick to keep it working because my whatsapp died a month ago.
    Yes, i think the messenger in the native facebook app will continue to work like normal, i'm so glad i discovered the separate native messenger app before it was changed, it's great because i can view and send pictures. Also, i have never deactivated my whatsapp or signed out and i've had whatsapp since 2010 so i'm hoping that will work in my favor with being able to use the app right up until June 30th and hopefully by then i will have the Priv to replace the iphone i have so i will actually be encouraged to type messages on whatsapp, i hate replying to messages on the iPhone so much, and recently as i get more notifications they all have the same sound i can go one hour with the same sound coming from the iphone repeatedly and i can't wait to get rid of it especially since i always hear about the iPhone 6 having problems with touch disease and i've noticed the phone is getting a little unresponsive sometimes considering i've actually only had it 12 months and i didn't even drop it or let it get wet.

11-24-16 03:05 PM

We probably won't know for sure until December 1st. It could continue to work and just not be officially supported by FB anymore. Or they could kill Messenger API support for BlackBerry 7 and older and it would render it useless on all those devices. That's probably a question for FB support.
    11-24-16 03:06 PM
    I am now on the hunt for a new 9900 A question though - if I buy it over eBay locked to some carrier, can i unlock it freely? Just so I know if I need to narrow my search to fully unlocked devices. I've found some old threads on this forum that regard this, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
    11-24-16 03:10 PM
    I am now on the hunt for a new 9900 A question though - if I buy it over eBay locked to some carrier, can i unlock it freely? Just so I know if I need to narrow my search to fully unlocked devices. I've found some old threads on this forum that regard this, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
    You sometimes come across members on CB offering free unlock codes ...

At the same time , you can get them from eBay at 1 or 2 dollars.
    11-24-16 05:42 PM
    Also if you buy a locked device you should be able to take it to any electronics place that works on cellular devices and they can unlock it for around 25 or 30 bucks. The place where I bought mine automatically unlocks every device no matter what they are so that it's ready for the next customer as a courtesy.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-24-16 at 06:06 PM.
    11-24-16 05:56 PM
    You sometimes come across members on CB offering free unlock codes ...

At the same time , you can get them from eBay at 1 or 2 dollars.
    eBay is really the simple way to go. I've unlocked several devices for about $1 a piece. The unlock code always comes quickly (as little as 20 minutes, and never more than 4 hours), and has always worked. Just make sure you accurately provide all of the information they require.
    11-24-16 07:46 PM
    eBay is really the simple way to go. I've unlocked several devices for about $1 a piece. The unlock code always comes quickly (as little as 20 minutes, and never more than 4 hours), and has always worked. Just make sure you accurately provide all of the information they require.
    Yes totally agree.

Also a few times where the vendors weren't able to provide codes - was reimbursed without issues.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-24-16 07:53 PM
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Unlocked-4...ATCHING_ACTIVE

$79. Also found a $99 option NIB on Ebay. Be careful make sure it is the 4G model.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-16 08:09 PM
8,754 ... 151152153154155 ...