Did you ever get BlackBerry Desktop working?
    Nope...but glad I did not. Forced me to revisit and learn a few new things and bump to you peeps along the way.

Sent from my Bold 9900...
    11-21-16 09:12 PM
    Its official. First CB post with the 9900. Everything including GMAIL is finally working. Thanks to all those who helped. inTouch was perfect for contacts. A USB got my photos in. Then for each GMAIL account I needed to Lessen Security and go to the Captcha link. Once I found out how it took mins. Couldn't be happier. Then I updated FB, ouch. Oh well.

Are you using the CB app? Mine works great on the 9900.

Also if you need the app again for Facebook I have the over the air downloading it works beautifully let me know
    11-22-16 12:39 AM
    Nope...but glad I did not. Forced me to revisit and learn a few new things and bump to you peeps along the way.

If you need the excellent Facebook app again you can find it in here just click and download iOS 7.1 of course

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube
    11-22-16 12:41 AM
    Well all that for nuffin'.......got an email while I was out and needed to search someone on LinkedIn and it all hit the fan cause I couldn't get to what I needed. Those sweet few hours were great. But in the end, the truth is APPS are more important than anything. It sucks. But oh well. It was fun.
    11-22-16 01:26 AM
    Well all that for nuffin'.......got an email while I was out and needed to search someone on LinkedIn and it all hit the fan cause I couldn't get to what I needed. Those sweet few hours were great. But in the end, the truth is APPS are more important than anything. It sucks. But oh well. It was fun.
    That's why God invented iPads
    11-22-16 01:53 AM
    Hmm... Search from LinkedIn 2.3 App no longer works? Don't have it on this 9930 & haven't used it for a couple years but...???
    11-22-16 02:59 AM
    This is fantastic though btw, oh the irony. Used my nano with SIM Adapter for 9900. Bought adapter for like $1.99 at T-Mobile. When I hit another bump in the road.

Removed SIM, called AT&T and had them flip back to iPhone 7. Gave IMEI and SIM. Phone works perfect except isn't getting LTE. Stuck on 4g. All their settings are correct. Spoke with Apple, all there diagnostics are correct. Despite that prob need a new SIM...this is nuts!
    11-22-16 08:51 AM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1479851054.177526.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1479851067.393717.jpg

Unlocked for $30 isn't bad but I wouldn't trade my new KB equipped 99 for anything
    11-22-16 03:45 PM
    Hey, folks. I've been meaning to buy a qwerty pkb phone - never used one before but I've had enough of virtual keyboards.

I was aiming towards the Classic as the Priv is a tad expensive and the Passport has a weird form factor. But! I noticed this thread and spent some time reading through it.

I've seen complaints regarding BB10's lagginess and increasing bugs. However, I see none of that here. From your posts and videos, it seems the 9900 runs smoothly and without hiccups, which is awesome.

Bottom line is - If I were to buy a qwerty pkb phone for the first time, would the 9900 be a good choice? All I'm looking for is comfy texting, e-mailing, calls and RSS feeds. FB Messenger and Whatsapp would both be great too, but not needed. I know you guys will be biased, but maybe I want a biased opinion :P.
    11-22-16 05:21 PM
    If you want a 9900 eBay, eBargains priced in box AT&T sealed in packaging $99 plus OEM Leather Swivel Case. Works perfect for calls, texts, emails, RSS. As for Apps...you'll need to rely on Browser in my opinion unless you don't update stock apps.

IMO, a Classic gets you LTE and some better app performance. Not much more besides the larger screen in terms of noticeable differences.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    11-22-16 07:22 PM
    Hey, folks. I've been meaning to buy a qwerty pkb phone - never used one before but I've had enough of virtual keyboards.

I was aiming towards the Classic as the Priv is a tad expensive and the Passport has a weird form factor. But! I noticed this thread and spent some time reading through it.

I've seen complaints regarding BB10's lagginess and increasing bugs. However, I see none of that here. From your posts and videos, it seems the 9900 runs smoothly and without hiccups, which is awesome.

Bottom line is - If I were to buy a qwerty pkb phone for the first time, would the 9900 be a good choice? All I'm looking for is comfy texting, e-mailing, calls and RSS feeds. FB Messenger and Whatsapp would both be great too, but not needed. I know you guys will be biased, but maybe I want a biased opinion :P.
    I'd heed the advice posted above regarding the Classic. I use a Passport but the Classic is a fine device. The 9900 has a fixed-focus camera that may be a sticking point with you.

Posted On CB10 With My Passport
    11-22-16 08:44 PM
    You should post the same query on the Classic forum for a comparison.
    11-22-16 08:58 PM
    I'd heed the advice posted above regarding the Classic. I use a Passport but the Classic is a fine device. The 9900 has a fixed-focus camera that may be a sticking point with you.

I don't recall the poster mentioning a thing about camera so not sure why you'd say the camera may be a sticking point. Nonetheless, sure the Classic camera is better...
    11-22-16 10:47 PM
    All I'm looking for is comfy texting, e-mailing, calls and RSS feeds. FB Messenger and Whatsapp would both be great too, but not needed. I know you guys will be biased, but maybe I want a biased opinion :P.
    If that's all you really want in a physical keyboard device I think you'll be just fine. There might be some bias here but a lot of the users have the classic to compare them, and we are pretty honest

The only thing is Whatsapp might run out in June 2017 and the Facebook app still works nicely but if you update it then you just get basically a shortcut to the web version. But we have the over the air link if you need it no problem to set it back and it's a simple matter of one click.
    11-22-16 10:49 PM
    just picked one up off ebay, in mint condition, in fantastic condition, my first blackberry, sold my iphone
    , very happy so far!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-22-16 11:29 PM
    just picked one up off ebay, in mint condition, in fantastic condition, my first blackberry, sold my iphone
    , very happy so far!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Sweet, and it looks like you got it up and running with no issues based on your post signature?

Still a bit shocking for some to see a post like this where one sold an IPHONE to go back 5 years in technology but it has it's charms.

I'm not sure I could sell my iphone because I always need a spare device in case I get a jammed up device but so far the iphone is the only device I ever had that happen with.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-22-16 11:40 PM
    I don't recall the poster mentioning a thing about camera so not sure why you'd say the camera may be a sticking point. Nonetheless, sure the Classic camera is better...
    It seems like he was reading reviews. I was just throwing something else in so he could be more informed. Can't see why you should have to mention this.

11-23-16 02:24 AM
    As an engineer, I universally suggest that anyone considering any purchase should explore all reasonable alternatives. I certainly do that myself. I personally own and use 99, Classic, PassPort and Z30. Also still have my Q10 that was used for 3 months, 3 yrs ago. IMO, 9900 represents the epitome of PKB experience. They simply got it so right on so many levels. The keyboard "feel" (whatever that is) has never been surpassed.

Also, equally important to the overall experience are pkb shortcuts, pkb phone speed dials, toolbelt, TRACKPAD!!!!, convenience key, charging contacts, swappable battery, etc... AND single handed friendly form factor! That combination of features, paired with a maturely refined trackpad & PKB optimized UI, have never been surpassed, nor matched, on any handset anywhere, afaik. If you're out to experience the ultimate in PKB experience, 9900 is as good as it gets. Imo.

BUT, there are other considerations. 9900 is a five year old design. Its OS hasn't been updated in three years. Anyone contemplating using a 9900 these days must anticipate that they may need to be their own IT department. I wouldn't depend on taking my 9930 to a Verizon store for repairs any more than I'd plan to take my VERY customized Harley to a Harley dealer. Such is the life of an enthusiast. Lol.

If you don't mind "changing your own oil" and crave the ultimate experience in physical human-machine interaction, 9900 is it. The enthusiast in you may never let you rest if you pass the chance to explore the experience with your own hand.

If, on the other hand (pun intended ), you consider yourself more of a user than an enthusiast, the Classic is a pretty good choice, in general. Its toolbelt & trackpad make it the most single handed friendly option since the 99. Despite its size. I frequently carry and use Classic, PP or Z30 along with my 99 as a VERY capable dual carry combo that optimizes the best of both BBOS and BB10 platforms. Classic's single handed competency makes it a natural choice for "double fisted" simultaneous use with 99 in other hand. I find the combo quite wonderful for checking calendar, contacts, messages, spreadsheets, maps, lodging reservations, etc, etc, in one hand while communicating thru the other device in the other hand, for example.

Classic's biggest downside is its size & heft that leaves my hand fatigued after a hard day. It also lacks swappable battery and convenience key.

I program 9900's convenience key to pop up messages (email, text etc) from within virtually ANY app with single key press. Sight unseen. I find that feature alone to be more convenient than even BB10's excellent HUB. In fact, the edge of my Classic shows a polished spot where muscle memory too frequently presses a non existent convenience key. Lol.

All said, Classic's a fine device but my hand grabs 5 year old 99 90% of the time. Such is the life as an enthusiast. Lol.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    11-23-16 05:57 AM
    To be honest i very rarely use my phone, Mainly for light browsing, social media, email, calls and texts. I never made use of the Iphone million and one features,so far the 9900 is forfilling all my needs. As to getting it up and running was simple enough i wiped the phone upon receiving it and updated to latest software. easy.
    idssteve likes this.
    11-23-16 07:52 AM
    I'm planning to buy used 9900 in india

I've spoken to one person who wanted to sell his used 9900 for 2000 Rs only

He said display stip is having some issues and due to which display is on and off

Wanted to check with you if it is small problem or major one

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 09:36 AM
    I'm planning to buy used 9900 in india

I've spoken to one person who wanted to sell his used 9900 for 2000 Rs only

He said display stip is having some issues and due to which display is on and off

Wanted to check with you if it is small problem or major one

Posted via CB10
    Hmm... Changing display is easy enough. Gotta get the right version # to get right replacement. On-off might indicate "simple loose connection" ... ??? Possibly just unplug-replug might "fix"??? Maybe a tiny drop of deoxit???

Could be a deeper problem so be sure price is consistent with that possibility. One of my "smart guys" transfered to be near his home town near Mumbai about a year ago... No way he'd ever sell his 9900, tho.
    11-23-16 10:40 AM
    As an engineer, I universally suggest that anyone considering any purchase should explore all reasonable alternatives. I certainly do that myself. I personally own and use 99, Classic, PassPort and Z30. Also still have my Q10 that was used for 3 months, 3 yrs ago. IMO, 9900 represents the epitome of PKB experience. They simply got it so right on so many levels. The keyboard "feel" (whatever that is) has never been surpassed.

Also, equally important to the overall experience are pkb shortcuts, pkb phone speed dials, toolbelt, TRACKPAD!!!!, convenience key, charging contacts, swappable battery, etc... AND single handed friendly form factor! That combination of features, paired with a maturely refined trackpad & PKB optimized UI, have never been surpassed, nor matched, on any handset anywhere, afaik. If you're out to experience the ultimate in PKB experience, 9900 is as good as it gets. Imo.

BUT, there are other considerations. 9900 is a five year old design. Its OS hasn't been updated in three years. Anyone contemplating using a 9900 these days must anticipate that they may need to be their own IT department. I wouldn't depend on taking my 9930 to a Verizon store for repairs any more than I'd plan to take my VERY customized Harley to a Harley dealer. Such is the life of an enthusiast. Lol.

If you don't mind "changing your own oil" and crave the ultimate experience in physical human-machine interaction, 9900 is it. The enthusiast in you may never let you rest if you pass the chance to explore the experience with your own hand.

If, on the other hand (pun intended ), you consider yourself more of a user than an enthusiast, the Classic is a pretty good choice, in general. Its toolbelt & trackpad make it the most single handed friendly option since the 99. Despite its size. I frequently carry and use Classic, PP or Z30 along with my 99 as a VERY capable dual carry combo that optimizes the best of both BBOS and BB10 platforms. Classic's single handed competency makes it a natural choice for "double fisted" simultaneous use with 99 in other hand. I find the combo quite wonderful for checking calendar, contacts, messages, spreadsheets, maps, lodging reservations, etc, etc, in one hand while communicating thru the other device in the other hand, for example.

Classic's biggest downside is its size & heft that leaves my hand fatigued after a hard day. It also lacks swappable battery and convenience key.

I program 9900's convenience key to pop up messages (email, text etc) from within virtually ANY app with single key press. Sight unseen. I find that feature alone to be more convenient than even BB10's excellent HUB. In fact, the edge of my Classic shows a polished spot where muscle memory too frequently presses a non existent convenience key. Lol.

All said, Classic's a fine device but my hand grabs 5 year old 99 90% of the time. Such is the life as an enthusiast. Lol.
    I love your posts, it's like a symphony of logic via words that incorporates everything we are thinking but have no clue how to really say ourselves

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-23-16 03:30 PM
    Just found this thread. Have been using my 9900 daily since July 2012. Funny thing is today bought a priv in the Black Friday sale and about to trade my full size sim for my first nano. Already feeling nostalgic for 9900 - It looks mint, has had 3 leather pouches, 3 batteries, and a replacement keyboard (which I fitted after it started double typing some letters). I still have blackberry services with T-Mobile uk on 3G.
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    11-23-16 04:17 PM
    It seems like he was reading reviews. I was just throwing something else in so he could be more informed. Can't see why you should have to mention this.

I agree. In hindsight I misunderstood. And for that I apologize.

Here's what I misunderstood. You posted, "I heed the post above regarding the Classic". I jumped the gun...looking back it seems you were saying he should pose the same question to Classic users, referring to a post I missed.

Thus, I thought you were referring to my post...which was a head scratcher for me. That's the only reason I responded about about the camera comment.

So yeah, I agree...my comment wasn't necessary and yours made sense when read in the correct order of comments. Again, my apologies. My bad.
    11-23-16 04:19 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies! (is there a convenient way to quote different posts in a single one?)

I'm now more inclined than ever to buy it. Still deciding on whether to get a cheap used 9900 to experiment with or go straight for a new one.

I do have some follow-up questions!

How does gmail work? I've seen some previous posts complaining about it, does it work reliably or does it need frequent maintenance / setting it up again?

Assuming there's no facebook messenger app available and I'm on a pinch, is it possible to use the messenger through the browser?

Also a tiny not so tiny request that might please others too, could one of you productivity experts ( idssteve and Ralph Morgotch, you both seem to be very at ease with the phone) record yourselves writing down a couple of texts and juggling through emails using your shortcuts, etc? I'd love to see some of that in action, and I'm sure others would love to compare their workflow with yours!
    11-23-16 04:59 PM
8,754 ... 150151152153154 ...