The 9930 is CDMA and was built for Verizon. The 9900 model is compatible with AT&T. There may be a way to the 9930 working on AT&T but I'm pretty certain it will not.

Or I'm completely wrong and you meant to say 9900 and you'll be fine anyway. And you don't "need" a SIM adapter. AT&T will give you a free Standard SIM...or you can an adapter.

Enjoy!
    No I mean 9930. It will work with att but on 2g or so, or until att drops 2g. I have a nanoSIM I would like to try. Someone here said I didn't need an adaptor. Hm. It'd be kind of... loose... but I can check it out.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-20-16 09:53 AM
    [QUOTE=Nguyen1;12672741I have a nanoSIM I would like to try. Someone here said I didn't need an adaptor. Hm. It'd be kind of... loose... but I can check it out.[/QUOTE]

Trouble folks are talking about is that an adaptor will catch SIM pins when you try to pull SIM card. If you remove SIM card first, leaving the adaptor, you cannot pull it out as it catches SIM pins. As long as you pull the whole adaptor WITH SIM CARD, you are OK. I used to cut the lower horizontal part of adaptor so that it never catches pins yet it position SIM card precisely.
    11-20-16 10:07 AM
    Let me clarify from my side. This was actually an exceptionally easy switch and setup once I knew what was needed. Had I known prior, it would be 1-2 hours tops.

1. Go to AT&T and get SIM and let them do device switch.

2. Turn on and enter same BlackBerry ID I've had an used for 10+ years.

3. Configure all my settings like notifications, alerts, in versus out of holster, password, etc.

4. Move pics over using USB with my Mac as drop and drag

5. Update BB World and download Intouch

6. Use Intouch App and transfer all contacts.

7. With BIS notification and activation by BlackBerry received, I would set up my 2 Yahoo and 2 Gmail Accounts.

Done...I'd be finished in probably an hour and happy as pig in you know what!

However, I didn't know some of these things until I thankfully received many helpful and appreciated tips here from all of you.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason after trying everything I hit a final snag. Gmail, period. No matter how I configured my Gmail accounts whether manually or just username or password, I got a "Password Error" message.

I went to Gmail on my browser on my laptop and and saw emails about someone trying to access my account from an unknown device.

I followed all the Gmail steps to verify it was me and to allow the device access. I continued to receive errors on the 9900 and continued to get emails in my laptop about blocking someone and I should change my password. I contacted Gmail support and they responded very quickly with a detailed email explaining the issue and verifying I had done everything correctly.

It was at that point when I decided it had been enough.

***Yes, this is an amazing device that works exceptionally well even by today's standards. I was never here complaining about the device. I wanted more than anything for it to work. I had finally after days of trying for my contacts on there and marched into AT&T phone on hip in holster like "Yep, I got this". Got SIM, activated, tested SMS/MMS, calls, voicemail. Loaded 2 Yahoo accounts and my emails pushed right through. And BOOM, Gmail...nothing I could do.

Grad an extra Nano and left with 9900 working perfectly except missing Gmail. Spent time trouble shooting Gmail but no dice. Did a security wipe and started over. Nope, nothing.

Popped the Nano back in this iPhone 7, called AT&T for an IMEI and ICCID update. 9900 boxed and on the shelf.

Bottom line. The last few days have been FUN not frustrating. It's cool. Was worth the $99 to tinker with this device. For those of you who have been able to continue using them, kudos...that's amazing. Didn't work out for me. Lord knows I wish it did cause this message would have been much shorter and typed much faster on the 9900.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help. My work week is already on my brain. With few time I'll research the Gmail issue. If I can reconcile that problem...I'll be right back to another attempt at using the 9900.
    Yeah I "get" that, you've said it before, but also realize nothing on the internet is perfect, there can be glitches or something missed.

When I did this it took several attempts to get it to "take." Your Gmail never verified so that means something wasn't correct. No matter how many times you think it might have been done properly, there can always be a missed "toggle this off" or do this, etc. It took me 2 days to get my Gmail working and I had to Google it all, trial and error and using my ipad to go into Desktop mode in the Gmail settings.

You contacted Gmail, and I wonder what they said exactly.

No as for the steps you have to do in Gmail settings, after "allowing less secure devices" is toggled to ON, after Gmail is set up it can be toggles OFF again to resume your security.

As simple as it may seem, I had to perform these few steps MANY times to get it to work.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

Eventually it did.

And this bothers me because I would like to figure it out also! I wonder if it has something to do with sending the email service books, Host Routing Tables or some setting on the 9900 itself under the Email section. There can be so many combinations and it could have to be "just right."

I would simply HATE to do all the things you did, take it that far, then having to quit because of one final last step. But that is what happened.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-20-16 at 10:34 AM.
    11-20-16 10:17 AM
    Please could somebody remind me, how do we get rid of those pesky 'the security of this connection can't be verified' messages on the BB browser?
    They seem to be appearing far more than I remember with my original 9900 - perhaps I don't have my security settings optimised for trouble free browsing.
    I click "Continue" and it usually stays gone after 2 more at the most. I get it more if my Sim is in another device. I rarely get it if I have the 9900 running on my plan with the sim incerted.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-20-16 10:19 AM

Googlemail works fine on my 9900 and I continue to use 2-step verification, so it really shouldn't be necessary to downgrade your security.
    And the thing is that once Gmail is properly activated, you never have to do it again and the Gmail Security setting can be put back. What I noticed (if I recall) is when I went back to gmail desktop mode, I checked the "Allow Less Secure Devices" and it had set itself back to OFF, meaning since my Gmail was properly verified, the security in Google changed back to protect those emails. Which is fine by me.

11-20-16 10:24 AM
    RoscosDad:

There is ONE more important thing I remember from last December when I did Gmail is that I used an ipad on desktop mode for Gmail settings and I had to stay on the settings page when I toggled "allow less secure devices" to ON because if I did this, and left that page, or turned off the ipad, the Gmail on the Blackberry WOULD NOT VERIFY.

So it might be a simple matter of staying on that page.

That's my last shot. I might Google all this later and check on those finer 9900 settings to see if something else was missed.

11-20-16 10:38 AM
    Yeah I "get" that, you've said it before, but also realize nothing on the internet is perfect, there can be glitches or something missed.

When I did this it took several attempts to get it to "take." Your Gmail never verified so that means something wasn't correct. No matter how many times you think it might have been done properly, there can always be a missed "toggle this off" or do this, etc. It took me 2 days to get my Gmail working and I had to Google it all, trial and error and using my ipad to go into Desktop mode in the Gmail settings.

You contacted Gmail, and I wonder what they said exactly.

No as for the steps you have to do in Gmail settings, after "allowing less secure devices" is toggled to ON, after Gmail is set up it can be toggles OFF again to resume your security.

As simple as it may seem, I had to perform these few steps MANY times to get it to work.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

Eventually it did.

And this bothers me because I would like to figure it out also! I wonder if it has something to do with sending the email service books, Host Routing Tables or some setting on the 9900 itself under the Email section. There can be so many combinations and it could have to be "just right."

I would simply HATE to do all the things you did, take it that far, then having to quit because of one final last step. But that is what happened.

Gotcha. And yes, the link you provided I just came across in an article and it said you have like a 10 minute window to set up 9900. I just wish I could do this without needing to keep going to AT&T for new SIM cards.

Oh, and Gmail's response which I believe was automated said for devices pre-dating, blah blah blah, see your manufacturers guide seek their support.
    11-20-16 10:40 AM
    Gotcha. And yes, the link you provided I just came across in an article and it said you have like a 10 minute window to set up 9900. I just wish I could do this without needing to keep going to AT&T for new SIM cards.

Oh, and Gmail's response which I believe was automated said for devices pre-dating, blah blah blah, see your manufacturers guide seek their support.
    I'm sorry buddy, better re-read my new posts I had to do some editing.

I want to Google about this tonite, there might be something I missed on the 9900 side of things.
    11-20-16 10:45 AM
    I'm sorry buddy, better re-read my new posts I had to do some editing.

I want to Google about this tonite, there might be something I missed on the 9900 side of things.
    Nah, your 100% right. Requires since I have 2 Gmail accounts not linked to each other for me to go to Desktop Version and "lessen security" then go to the link on my laptop as well and set up the first Gmail account.

Then need to repeat same for the second Gmail account.

The only problem is time. Not sure when I can get back to AT&T for a Standard SIM and have them do an IMEI and SIM flip. Also wait for the BackBerry system to send activation message, etc.

I'm in no rush. I now know what needs to be done.

Thx again.
    11-20-16 03:48 PM
    I also have a sim adaptor that holds the nano firmly. Make things a whole lot easier and surprisingly att is very helpful on the phone working with the imei change so it works fully. The caution about cheap ones is real and definitely be careful, when they separate in the device it could be big troubles. Get a good one and your fine and will have much more freedom switching devices. Good luck.
    11-20-16 06:41 PM
    Forgot to mention how much fun the 9900 is when using despite the limitations. Fight through and enjoy (imo) one of the best devices ever!
    11-20-16 06:43 PM
    Nah, your 100% right. Requires since I have 2 Gmail accounts not linked to each other for me to go to Desktop Version and "lessen security" then go to the link on my laptop as well and set up the first Gmail account.

Then need to repeat same for the second Gmail account.

The only problem is time. Not sure when I can get back to AT&T for a Standard SIM and have them do an IMEI and SIM flip. Also wait for the BackBerry system to send activation message, etc.

I'm in no rush. I now know what needs to be done.

Thx again.
    Be sure to check post number 3761, you might have missed it as we posted at the same time this morning.

Anyway I had no time to google this tonite, but we will figure it out eventually.
    11-21-16 12:31 AM
    I have a lot of questions about WhatsApp right now before I pop my Sim card back in to the 9900. I want to do this because I heard we have until December 31 to re-activate WhatsApp or we will not be able to use it until June. But I still want to know if the WhatsApp we had before is still useable if you kept it on your device?

Also what is the beta version of WhatsApp everyone is talking about, so this is our only option is to follow a link and download some beta version or we can't use whatsap now?
    11-21-16 12:33 AM
    I have a lot of questions about WhatsApp right now before I pop my Sim card back in to the 9900. I want to do this because I heard we have until December 31 to re-activate WhatsApp or we will not be able to use it until June. But I still want to know if the WhatsApp we had before is still useable if you kept it on your device?

Also what is the beta version of WhatsApp everyone is talking about, so this is our only option is to follow a link and download some beta version or we can't use whatsap now?
    The beta version is an updated version of WA, that is in the BBW. I don't really understand, why they do not update it on the BBW too.

Posted via my q10
    11-21-16 01:08 AM
    Be sure to check post number 3761, you might have missed it as we posted at the same time this morning.

Anyway I had no time to google this tonite, but we will figure it out eventually.
    Got it. Thx again. Appreciate all the help.
    11-21-16 07:39 AM
    Please could somebody remind me, how do we get rid of those pesky 'the security of this connection can't be verified' messages on the BB browser?
    I click "Continue" and it usually stays gone after 2 more at the most. I get it more if my Sim is in another device. I rarely get it if I have the 9900 running on my plan with the sim incerted.
    My SIM card was in, and it seemed to be happening several times per site yesterday (on WiFi and mobile data connections). I can keep on pushing the continue button but ideally I'd really like to be able to stop it happening.
    The 9900 browser seemed much more temperamental than I recall. Perhaps I've just got too used to the BB10 browser or possibly I was trying to access some tricky sites
    11-21-16 07:47 AM
    ..... I checked the "Allow Less Secure Devices" and it had set itself back to OFF, meaning since my Gmail was properly verified, the security in Google changed back to protect those emails. Which is fine by me.
    In my experience you don't need to disable Google security to setup mail on the 9900, even temporarily. Just use the App Specific Password facility offered by Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
    .... worked for me
    11-21-16 07:51 AM
    My SIM card was in, and it seemed to be happening several times per site yesterday (on WiFi and mobile data connections). I can keep on pushing the continue button but ideally I'd really like to be able to stop it happening.
    The 9900 browser seemed much more temperamental than I recall. Perhaps I've just got too used to the BB10 browser or possibly I was trying to access some tricky sites
    I've noticed that too. Do you get the notifications repeatedly for the same site? I've noticed that a list of site exceptions is being created on my device and I wonder if it is being created whenever I choose to continue despite the warning?

Sent from mTalk
    11-21-16 08:03 AM
    I've noticed that too. Do you get the notifications repeatedly for the same site? I've noticed that a list of site exceptions is being created on my device and I wonder if it is being created whenever I choose to continue despite the warning?
    Yes, same sites, repeat notifications. I haven't delved into site exceptions.
    I also experienced another warning yesterday (can't remember the precise content) about site security and being unable to access specific address; that was when trying to access the Simplenote web app / https://app.simplenote.com
    I'm back with the Q10 for my working week so probably will not look at this again before the weekend.
    11-21-16 08:10 AM
    Yes, same sites, repeat notifications. I haven't delved into site exceptions.
    I also experienced another warning yesterday (can't remember the precise content) about site security and being unable to access specific address; that was when trying to access the Simplenote web app / https://app.simplenote.com
    I'm back with the Q10 for my working week so probably will not look at this again before the weekend.
    If it's the same issue, clicking on "Details" usually points out a legitimately expired cert date... On mine, anyway. I might scroll to the very bottom of the "details" pop up to add to exceptions... Rarely ever do, tho, unless I really trust the clowns AND plan to return to the site.

Browsing experience has downgraded on EVERYthing I own, in recent months... Mobile and desktop... BBOS (native & opera), BB10 (native, Browsie, Zeus, etc) Win7-8-10 (ie & FF). I've been told that Chrome still works but I refuse to willingly associate with ANYthing Google so can't say, myself. I can say that I've learned to dread seeing the disgustingly ugly block shaped buttons. Never know if the stupid thing will actually acknowledge a command, for example. My recent experience, anyway.
    11-21-16 10:39 AM
    Isn't there something in the settings for pop-ups? A box to check off or something? I can't quite remember now without taking a thorough look
    11-21-16 05:54 PM
    In my experience you don't need to disable Google security to setup mail on the 9900, even temporarily. Just use the App Specific Password facility offered by Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
    .... worked for me
    I sure had to. It would not work otherwise.
    11-21-16 05:55 PM
    For those of you always asking about Facebook Messenger, it looks like the Jared Company has did it again. I just got a notif for this new app and have any of you tried it yet?

Let me know if it works....

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    11-21-16 07:18 PM
    Its official. First CB post with the 9900. Everything including GMAIL is finally working. Thanks to all those who helped. inTouch was perfect for contacts. A USB got my photos in. Then for each GMAIL account I needed to Lessen Security and go to the Captcha link. Once I found out how it took mins. Couldn't be happier. Then I updated FB, ouch. Oh well.

Sent from my Bold 9900...
    11-21-16 08:23 PM
    Its official. First CB post with the 9900. Everything including GMAIL is finally working. Thanks to all those who helped. inTouch was perfect for contacts. A USB got my photos in. Then for each GMAIL account I needed to Lessen Security and go to the Captcha link. Once I found out how it took mins. Couldn't be happier. Then I updated FB, ouch. Oh well.

Sent from my Bold 9900...
    Did you ever get BlackBerry Desktop working?
    11-21-16 08:39 PM
8,754 ... 149150151152153 ...