Well after two days now of trying I cannot get my contacts on the 9900. Not by email, SIM card, applications, software, anything. I am officially done. Add this 9900 to the drawer of smartphones.

1. BlackBerry 7100
    2. BlackBerry 8703
    3. BlackBerry Pearl 8130
    4. BlackBerry 8830
    5. BlackBerry Curve 9330
    6. BlackBerry Bold 9650
    7. BlackBerry Storm (PIECE OF SH*T)
    8. BlackBerry Tour 9630
    9. BlackBerry Torch 9850 (AMAZING)
    10. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 (Best EVER)
    11. iPhone 4
    12. iPhone 5
    13. BlackBerry Z10
    14. BlackBerry Q10
    15. BlackBerry Z30
    16. iPhone 5s
    17. BlackBerry Passport
    18. BlackBerry Classic
    19. iPhone 6 (Space Gray)
    20. BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983
    21. iPhone 6 (Gold)
    22. BlackBerry PRIV (Android Fail 1)
    23. iPhone 6s (Space Gray)
    24. iPhone 6s (Gold)
    25. iPhone 7
    26. BlackBerry DTEK50 (Wanted to like)
    27. BlackBerry Bold 9900 (just can't)
    ---------Back to iPhone 7
    ---------Resisting the Pixel
    Do you have all these phones in a drawer? my biggest problem was the Memo's, BB10 doesn't allow you to transfer to BB7 so i had to manually write out the memo's over the space of 3 days, that was a lot of writing. My contacts synced because for some reason they have always been connect to my Hotmail account, they all just re-appeared which was great. Do you have many contacts? You could manually add them?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-16 05:59 PM
    Do you have all these phones in a drawer? my biggest problem was the Memo's, BB10 doesn't allow you to transfer to BB7 so i had to manually write out the memo's over the space of 3 days, that was a lot of writing. My contacts synced because for some reason they have always been connect to my Hotmail account, they all just re-appeared which was great. Do you have many contacts? You could manually add them?

I have all these phones boxed on shelves. It's become a running joke. The list doesn't include the Motorola's and Nokia's before the smart phones.

My contacts are linked to a Gmail Account and all pulled through when I have the PRIV and DTEK50 a try but would not sync even though the box was checked off on the 9900. It's on the shelf now next to the VZW 9930 box.

I think I will go back to the DTEK50. I actually really like it, but don't like the HUB on Android. Silly, but didn't realize you could Disable the HUB without loosing the BlackBerry apps that come with it.
    11-18-16 06:12 PM
    I have all these phones boxed on shelves. It's become a running joke. The list doesn't include the Motorola's and Nokia's before the smart phones.

My contacts are linked to a Gmail Account and all pulled through when I have the PRIV and DTEK50 a try but would not sync even though the box was checked off on the 9900. It's on the shelf now next to the VZW 9930 box.

I think I will go back to the DTEK50. I actually really like it, but don't like the HUB on Android. Silly, but didn't realize you could Disable the HUB without loosing the BlackBerry apps that come with it.
    I had issues with setting up Gmail to work on the 9900, i have an iPhone as a secondary phone for some social medias and music but i'm really looking to replace it with the Priv me and full touchscreens have never got along very well haha.

11-18-16 06:20 PM
    I had issues with setting up Gmail to work on the 9900, i have an iPhone as a secondary phone for some social medias and music but i'm really looking to replace it with the Priv me and full touchscreens have never got along very well haha.

Yeah, i found out you have to use a computer to lessen the security to allow BBOS7 access. Same thing with Yahoo on Android. It's weird. I got the email working but not the contacts or calendar.
    11-18-16 06:31 PM

That's determination!

There are a number of ways to do this, but the simplest might have been to share the Remember notes by email, and then copy and paste them from email to memos on the Bold.

There used to be an app called Atomichelix Notify that let you save emails to memos too. Perhaps that function was built into the OS later -- I don't have my device with me to check.
    11-18-16 10:11 PM
    Well after two days now of trying I cannot get my contacts on the 9900. Not by email, SIM card, applications, software, anything. I am officially done. Add this 9900 to the drawer of smartphones.

1. BlackBerry 7100
    2. BlackBerry 8703
    3. BlackBerry Pearl 8130
    4. BlackBerry 8830
    5. BlackBerry Curve 9330
    6. BlackBerry Bold 9650
    7. BlackBerry Storm (PIECE OF SH*T)
    8. BlackBerry Tour 9630
    9. BlackBerry Torch 9850 (AMAZING)
    10. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 (Best EVER)
    11. iPhone 4
    12. iPhone 5
    13. BlackBerry Z10
    14. BlackBerry Q10
    15. BlackBerry Z30
    16. iPhone 5s
    17. BlackBerry Passport
    18. BlackBerry Classic
    19. iPhone 6 (Space Gray)
    20. BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983
    21. iPhone 6 (Gold)
    22. BlackBerry PRIV (Android Fail 1)
    23. iPhone 6s (Space Gray)
    24. iPhone 6s (Gold)
    25. iPhone 7
    26. BlackBerry DTEK50 (Wanted to like)
    27. BlackBerry Bold 9900 (just can't)
    ---------Back to iPhone 7
    ---------Resisting the Pixel
    I think you can do this using intouch app if I'm not wrong

Intouch is multi platform supported, so sync your contacts from your primary phone to intouch

Then you can sync intouch with 9900

Posted from Q10 via CB10
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    11-18-16 10:45 PM
    Might have been There have been a few.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20161119_102358.jpg

Here you go. No Q, it's the bold! ;-)

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20161119_102304.jpg   9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20161119_102326.jpg  
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-18-16 10:54 PM
    I am installing the O2 UK version shushwap had mentioned in his thread. Hope it goes pretty well and smooth. I'm almost done with the installation. Fingers crossed! ;-)

11-18-16 10:56 PM
    I think you can do this using intouch app if I'm not wrong

Intouch is multi platform supported, so sync your contacts from your primary phone to intouch

Then you can sync intouch with 9900

Posted from Q10 via CB10
    I agree! Intouch is the solution right now. Please try it, I am sure your bold will start kickin again.

Attachment 412520
    Last edited by Farzeen25; 11-19-16 at 01:12 AM.
    11-18-16 10:59 PM
    I agree! Intouch is the solution right now. Please try it, I am sure your bold will start kickin again.

Attachment 412520
    To get this app I'm being forced update BB World. It's been updating since last night. Will let you know what happens! Thx
    11-19-16 06:39 AM
    To get this app I'm being forced update BB World. It's been updating since last night. Will let you know what happens! Thx
    Yeah! Do let me know how it goes. I have transferred all my contacts from my passport. And it was spot on! I had to use my data plan to get intouch working. It did not work via WiFi though. Also, I have installed the O2 UK version in my bold. I highly recommend you to get it. It's super stable. Follow the guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/

It has worked wonders for me. The previous build in my bold was a pain in the ***. I had issues setting up blackberry ID and blackberry world with it. But, once I got this version installed, I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Farzeen25; 11-19-16 at 07:18 AM.
    anon(9733642) and David Tyler like this.
    11-19-16 06:57 AM
    Yeah! Do let me know how it goes. I have transferred all my contacts from my passport. And it was spot on! I had to use my data plan to get intouch working. It did not work via WiFi though. Also, I have installed the O2 UK version in my bold. I highly recommend you to get it. It's super stable. Follow the guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/

It has worked wonders for me. The previous build in my bold was a pain in the ***. I had issues setting up blackberry ID and blackberry world with it. But, once I got this version installed, I couldn't be happier.

BlackBerry App World stalled out. This has become entirely to much of a project. From lowering security on email accounts to being able to sync pics now but not contacts. All for a device I just wanted to use cause I came across some unopened ones on eBay. Luckily for me as a collector I'm happy to have this in the collection, lol...but I have a 6s issued by work and a personal 7 that I'll probably flip over to the DTEK50 again so this phone wasn't gonna get much work for very long. Thx again everyone for chiming in.
    11-19-16 10:06 AM
    As for "lowering security" on Gmail I wouldn't worry too much, no one in their right minds are going to target BB0S. The $ is in cloud hacking. Why target a few people when they can hack millions.

Not even an issue as far as I'm concerned.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-19-16 02:36 PM
    As for "lowering security" on Gmail I wouldn't worry too much, no one in their right minds are going to target BB0S. The $ is in cloud hacking. Why target a few people when they can hack millions.

Not even an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Like I listed. I've had 20+ BB Legacy and BlackBerry 10 devices. Never an issue. Finally got the contacts and 2 Yahoo accounts. No luck with GMAIL. Don't have time to really trouble shoot. Multiple stops at AT&T and talks with my MDM tech people who still issue a select few 9930s. It's not worth the trouble. Would have been cool but ultimately not worth the trouble. Thanks again...
    Volareman likes this.
    11-19-16 03:55 PM
    Well after reading half of this thread, I'm tempted to ditch the Passport with at&t. Anyone recently use one on at&t? If I buy an at&t one will I be able to simply take it to a store to activate?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-16 07:11 PM
    Like I listed. I've had 20+ BB Legacy and BlackBerry 10 devices. Never an issue. Finally got the contacts and 2 Yahoo accounts. No luck with GMAIL. Don't have time to really trouble shoot. Multiple stops at AT&T and talks with my MDM tech people who still issue a select few 9930s. It's not worth the trouble. Would have been cool but ultimately not worth the trouble. Thanks again...
    I'm in your side. I'm just waiting for the mercury. Was thinking about a q10, and still may do that, but not this week.

Just too many hours to configure something that is not as functional as it was last time I used it (enterprise cloud service is no longer working... was so sweet. Two-way sync on contacts, mail, memopad, email and other stuff. Piece of cake.)
    11-19-16 08:28 PM
    I'm in your side.
    Just too many hours to configure something that is not as functional as it was last time I used it (enterprise cloud service is no longer working... was so sweet. Two-way sync on contacts, mail, memopad, email and other stuff. Piece of cake.)
    It ain't about "sides" in here it's about what YOUR needs are. For those of us that still use this device daily it IS because it still does everything WE need it to.

I could care less about email contact syncing. And Even If I had to manually enter each and EVERY contact back into my 9900, just to be able to still use that KB and the compact size, with still flawless notification and email, social app functioning I WOULD. I only have 2 phones, so I have to make them work and do what I need. I can't even imagine the horror of trying to maintain and condition, nay....worry about keeping the batteries conditioned on 19 other devices if I had that many. No thanks.

I've said it dozens of times in here, "never expect a 5 year old device to be able to do everything a new iPhone can."

It's too bad that some people are having the issues you mention, but as long as mine keeps doing everything it has to quickly and efficiently, and yes even taking place of my iPhone, I will continue to do so.

There also comes a point when too many notifications from my 45 iPhone apps are too much and I easily hit my 200 twitter ceiling by 4 pm, that you are HAPPY to pop the sim into the 9900 and still get essential notifs, but taking a break from it all for a while.

There is beauty in simplicity too. App overload can be a pain in the arse also. But I would never want to be without email, Facebook, twitter, Client for IG, BBM, photo editing abilities so I have no gripes on the 9900.

I should clarify that Twitter and FB are my essentials, but dozens of other apps and their notifs can wait if need be.

Remember it ain't an iPhone, it's about the overall experience and yes that can be subjective.

Part of the fun (if you have the patience and time) is setting up a device and customizing it the way you want it to be. Even new devices have to be set up so I don't think that is fair to slam. (Even iCloud does not do it all for an apple device, there are always settings and patience required for changes, updates, minute settings, etc.

Blackberries, especially the 9900, is a professional device, not everything will be easy as pie on it. It is meant to be this way.

My 9900 is absolutely as "functional" as my 9780 was in 2011, and it feels even more so because of the power this things still has, and the apps I need on it to work, still work.

I'm still probably going to have questions about this Beta Whatsapp being mentioned in here and if I can't get it to work, I will be working on it and Googling until I do get it to work.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-19-16 at 09:24 PM.
    11-19-16 09:00 PM
    Well after reading half of this thread, I'm tempted to ditch the Passport with at&t. Anyone recently use one on at&t? If I buy an at&t one will I be able to simply take it to a store to activate?

Posted via CB10
    I have a passport on att. Works just fine. I have a 9930 I'd like to try, but I'd need to get a Sim adaptor first. Unless att just gives me one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-19-16 09:10 PM
    Bluetooth transfer/merge contacts thru .csv all the time. Several apps for that. I respect my contacts' privacy far too much to be placing that info into Google, Yahoo, etc... AND anyone who might someday hack those "tasty targets", if not already. Certainly not about to let the likes of Google coerce MY choice of device. Fwiw.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    11-19-16 09:42 PM
    Please don't use a sim adapter in this phone. They cause problems by breaking pins on the sim reader. (Myself and lots of others have done it). Just position the sim manually where it needs to be and it won't move.
    11-20-16 01:46 AM
    Please don't use a sim adapter in this phone. They cause problems by breaking pins on the sim reader. (Myself and lots of others have done it). Just position the sim manually where it needs to be and it won't move.
    I am the opposite and there is no way I would use it without a Sim adapter. I want some meat on that thing when I want to push it out again to go back into my other phone. I bought a good quality German made Adapter that seats the nano with a good firm and audible "click" and then applied and incerted into the 9900 the adapter is build ONE WAY so there is no way the nano will slip out of the adapter when being incerted. Just do it slowly and I have no issues.

11-20-16 04:15 AM
    BlackBerry App World stalled out. This has become entirely to much of a project. From lowering security on email accounts to being able to sync pics now but not contacts. All for a device I just wanted to use cause I came across some unopened ones on eBay
    Using a 9900 in 2016 is something of a 'labour in love' - you have to be prepared to accept its limitations and balance the cons against the
    pros and charms of this legacy device (well documented elsewhere in this thread).

Googlemail works fine on my 9900 and I continue to use 2-step verification, so it really shouldn't be necessary to downgrade your security. Google calendar works fine, but you can't use multiple calendars - that can be an issue for many. G-contacts seems much less reliable (in my experience) and I've developed other ways of syncing my contacts, notes, pictures, tasks etc. via a cloud server; Memotoo, often referred to elsewhere in this extensive thread.
    I've just fired up one of my 9900s this weekend after months of using the Q10. I don't think a 9900 can be my main daily device again - for work I really need bidirectional ActiveSync of MSexchange email and calendars, and the Q10 performs that much better and also works well with my preferred task management app (Remember the Milk) - but the 9900 remains a joy to use and nothing beats that trackpad for precision manipulation of text.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    11-20-16 05:15 AM
    Please could somebody remind me, how do we get rid of those pesky 'the security of this connection can't be verified' messages on the BB browser?
    They seem to be appearing far more than I remember with my original 9900 - perhaps I don't have my security settings optimised for trouble free browsing.
    11-20-16 06:53 AM
    I have a passport on att. Works just fine. I have a 9930 I'd like to try, but I'd need to get a Sim adaptor first. Unless att just gives me one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    The 9930 is CDMA and was built for Verizon. The 9900 model is compatible with AT&T. There may be a way to the 9930 working on AT&T but I'm pretty certain it will not.

Or I'm completely wrong and you meant to say 9900 and you'll be fine anyway. And you don't "need" a SIM adapter. AT&T will give you a free Standard SIM...or you can an adapter.

Enjoy!
    11-20-16 09:19 AM
    It ain't about "sides" in here it's about what YOUR needs are. For those of us that still use this device daily it IS because it still does everything WE need it to.

I could care less about email contact syncing. And Even If I had to manually enter each and EVERY contact back into my 9900, just to be able to still use that KB and the compact size, with still flawless notification and email, social app functioning I WOULD. I only have 2 phones, so I have to make them work and do what I need. I can't even imagine the horror of trying to maintain and condition, nay....worry about keeping the batteries conditioned on 19 other devices if I had that many. No thanks.

I've said it dozens of times in here, "never expect a 5 year old device to be able to do everything a new iPhone can."

It's too bad that some people are having the issues you mention, but as long as mine keeps doing everything it has to quickly and efficiently, and yes even taking place of my iPhone, I will continue to do so.

There also comes a point when too many notifications from my 45 iPhone apps are too much and I easily hit my 200 twitter ceiling by 4 pm, that you are HAPPY to pop the sim into the 9900 and still get essential notifs, but taking a break from it all for a while.

There is beauty in simplicity too. App overload can be a pain in the arse also. But I would never want to be without email, Facebook, twitter, Client for IG, BBM, photo editing abilities so I have no gripes on the 9900.

I should clarify that Twitter and FB are my essentials, but dozens of other apps and their notifs can wait if need be.

Remember it ain't an iPhone, it's about the overall experience and yes that can be subjective.

Part of the fun (if you have the patience and time) is setting up a device and customizing it the way you want it to be. Even new devices have to be set up so I don't think that is fair to slam. (Even iCloud does not do it all for an apple device, there are always settings and patience required for changes, updates, minute settings, etc.

Blackberries, especially the 9900, is a professional device, not everything will be easy as pie on it. It is meant to be this way.

My 9900 is absolutely as "functional" as my 9780 was in 2011, and it feels even more so because of the power this things still has, and the apps I need on it to work, still work.

I'm still probably going to have questions about this Beta Whatsapp being mentioned in here and if I can't get it to work, I will be working on it and Googling until I do get it to work.
    Let me clarify from my side. This was actually an exceptionally easy switch and setup once I knew what was needed. Had I known prior, it would be 1-2 hours tops.

1. Go to AT&T and get SIM and let them do device switch.

2. Turn on and enter same BlackBerry ID I've had an used for 10+ years.

3. Configure all my settings like notifications, alerts, in versus out of holster, password, etc.

4. Move pics over using USB with my Mac as drop and drag

5. Update BB World and download Intouch

6. Use Intouch App and transfer all contacts.

7. With BIS notification and activation by BlackBerry received, I would set up my 2 Yahoo and 2 Gmail Accounts.

Done...I'd be finished in probably an hour and happy as pig in you know what!

However, I didn't know some of these things until I thankfully received many helpful and appreciated tips here from all of you.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason after trying everything I hit a final snag. Gmail, period. No matter how I configured my Gmail accounts whether manually or just username or password, I got a "Password Error" message.

I went to Gmail on my browser on my laptop and and saw emails about someone trying to access my account from an unknown device.

I followed all the Gmail steps to verify it was me and to allow the device access. I continued to receive errors on the 9900 and continued to get emails in my laptop about blocking someone and I should change my password. I contacted Gmail support and they responded very quickly with a detailed email explaining the issue and verifying I had done everything correctly.

It was at that point when I decided it had been enough.

***Yes, this is an amazing device that works exceptionally well even by today's standards. I was never here complaining about the device. I wanted more than anything for it to work. I had finally after days of trying for my contacts on there and marched into AT&T phone on hip in holster like "Yep, I got this". Got SIM, activated, tested SMS/MMS, calls, voicemail. Loaded 2 Yahoo accounts and my emails pushed right through. And BOOM, Gmail...nothing I could do.

Grad an extra Nano and left with 9900 working perfectly except missing Gmail. Spent time trouble shooting Gmail but no dice. Did a security wipe and started over. Nope, nothing.

Popped the Nano back in this iPhone 7, called AT&T for an IMEI and ICCID update. 9900 boxed and on the shelf.

Bottom line. The last few days have been FUN not frustrating. It's cool. Was worth the $99 to tinker with this device. For those of you who have been able to continue using them, kudos...that's amazing. Didn't work out for me. Lord knows I wish it did cause this message would have been much shorter and typed much faster on the 9900.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help. My work week is already on my brain. With few time I'll research the Gmail issue. If I can reconcile that problem...I'll be right back to another attempt at using the 9900.
    11-20-16 09:47 AM
8,754 ... 148149150151152 ...