BB10 wouldn't work on such a small screen, everything is so big and animated on BB10, i had a Q10 for three years and i can view more things on my 9900 with the same size font compared to the Q10...
    ?? The Q10 & 9900 are nearly exactly the same dimensions, just mm off. The screen is also only marginally bigger on the Q10. I think BB10 would do just fine in this size.

I do agree that the 9900 uses its screen more efficiently though. (Except for Tapatalk!!!)
    That's why I would be perfectly fine with same ol' 9900 body, same old OS 7.1, but just gimme a better camera! Just a faster CPU would help the browser immensely without having to upgrade the base OS

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-17-16 04:17 PM
    QUESTION: So just got my 9900 delivered. I'm trying to set it up just on WIFI before I make the AT&T call. To deal with the Data and SIM switch issue. I've set up the phone but I can't do either of the following very important things:

1. Add email accounts
    2. Get Desktop Manager to recognize my device.

Is this cause of old technology. Does activating email require the phone to be activated? Does Desktop Manager not recognize the device because it's not activated? My MacBook recognizes. The device charges and can be used as USB. But can't sync or be picked up by Desktop Manager.

Don't want to activate and burn a SIM just to find out I can get my contacts and media over ya know?
    11-17-16 05:53 PM
    QUESTION: So just got my 9900 delivered. I'm trying to set it up just on WIFI before I make the AT&T call. To deal with the Data and SIM switch issue. I've set up the phone but I can't do either of the following very important things:

1. Add email accounts

Is this cause of old technology. Does activating email require the phone to be activated? Does Desktop Manager not recognize the device because it's not activated? My MacBook recognizes. The device charges and can be used as USB. But can't sync or be picked up by Desktop Manager.

Don't want to activate and burn a SIM just to find out I can get my contacts and media over ya know?
    BIS is definitely needed to setup your email.

For Desktop Manager no.
    Try using another cable.

Sometimes these Bolds are quite finicky with different types of cables !
    11-17-16 06:41 PM
    BIS is definitely needed to setup your email.

For Desktop Manager no.
    Try using another cable.

Sometimes these Bolds are quite finicky with different types of cables !
    Thx. Computer recognizes phone. Desktop Software doesn't. Shouldn't be the cable. BIS is long gone through AT&T so does that mean I can't set up email at all over AT&T network?
    11-17-16 06:45 PM
    Thx. Computer recognizes phone. Desktop Software doesn't. Shouldn't be the cable. BIS is long gone through AT&T so does that mean I can't set up email at all over AT&T network?
    Try re installing software on computer.

There have been many people having difficulty in setting up BIS through some carriers. ( just search CB for more reading )

This is simply because many who are employed there are sometimes miss informed . You just need to keep trying until you find someone who is capable in helping you out.
    11-17-16 07:00 PM
    Try re installing software on computer.

There have been many people having difficulty in setting up BIS through some carriers. ( just search CB for more reading )

This is simply because many who are employed there are sometimes miss informed . You just need to keep trying until you find someone who is capable in helping you out.
    Thx again. Actually as soon as we flipped it on AT&T I got the BIS Activation message. Have been able to setup all email accounts. Just have to get Desktop Manager to work. I'll keep trying.
    11-17-16 07:55 PM
    Thx again. Actually as soon as we flipped it on AT&T I got the BIS Activation message. Have been able to setup all email accounts. Just have to get Desktop Manager to work. I'll keep trying.
    Excellent - glad to hear it's working on AT&T !

Enjoy the Bold !
    anon(9733642) likes this.
    11-17-16 08:03 PM
    I think you might have to play with the settings on the Bold that determine what it does when it's hooked up to a USB (there are options like mimic a USB drive, just charge, do nothing, or something along those lines). I'm on a business trip and don't have mine with me, or I'd be more specific.

I seem to recall having to alter that setting in order to get Desktop Manager to recognize the device.
    anon(9733642) likes this.
    11-17-16 09:01 PM
    I think you might have to play with the settings on the Bold that determine what it does when it's hooked up to a USB (there are options like mimic a USB drive, just charge, do nothing, or something along those lines). I'm on a business trip and don't have mine with me, or I'd be more specific.

I seem to recall having to alter that setting in order to get Desktop Manager to recognize the device.
    Yeah, so when I plug the phone in asks for one of three modes:

USB Storage
    Media Sync
    Charge Only

Charge only is self explanatory.

USB storage brings up a Disc Image allowing me drag and drop files into my BlackBerry but nothing in the folders has anything to do with contacts and I'm not messing with that

Media Sync does nothing. You'd think that would be the one.

I've tried plugging in with Desktop Manager closed, tried Opening Desktop Manager first. Reinstalled Desktop Manager, Battery Pull on the Berry...

So AT&T told me for contacts I can use their app as long as I've synced to it...which I didn't.

So......I can make this work. Just have actually be in an AT&T store with the ability to get a Nano hook up the iPhone Sync the contacts and then switch to the Bold and pull them down. I can live without the pics.
    11-17-16 09:52 PM

USB Storage
    Media Sync
    Charge Only

USB storage brings up a Disc Image allowing me drag and drop files into my BlackBerry but nothing in the folders has anything to do with contacts and I'm not messing with that

I've tried plugging in with Desktop Manager closed, tried Opening Desktop Manager first. Reinstalled Desktop Manager, Battery Pull on the Berry...

So AT&T told me for contacts I can use their app as long as I've synced to it...which I didn't.

So......I can make this work. Just have actually be in an AT&T store with the ability to get a Nano hook up the iPhone Sync the contacts and then switch to the Bold and pull them down. I can live without the pics.
    Strangely, it might have been "charge only" that worked for me.
    11-17-16 10:10 PM
    Strangely, it might have been "charge only" that worked for me.
    Cool. Tried them all. Desktop Manager just isn't recognizing my device and since it takes a Standard SIM and my other devices are Nano I can't go back and forth, and BlackBerry is more difficult cause they need to swap Data type and get IMEI and all. Will just be easier in store. I appreciate all your help. Thanks.
    11-17-16 10:37 PM
    Clients & Colleagues in Indonesia universally favor BIS, despite the fee structure. These folks are certainly financially positioned to purchase more expensive handsets but 99 is their fav.
    I wonder what ever happened to that guy from Indonesia we talked to in this thread this summer...... he was thinking about getting a 9900 if I recall, or a Q10 I believe.
    11-18-16 12:06 AM
    So i went into the App World and this was the first thing on the home page, apparently Facebook messenger for BlackBerry is getting shut down just like what they did to Facebook BlackBerry app in March, but because the blackberry facebook app continues to work i think the messenger should work like normal too. I think it's sad how such a rich company cant just let the blackberry users use this app, facebook really is the worst, Whatsapp probably would have continued to support blackberry a little longer if facebook had not bought the company, facebook is not fans of blackberry, probably because of how good it's security is. I wont be making the mistake of upgrading the app because i did that when i had my Q10 and it made me used the web based facebook.

My thoughts EXACTLY and I ranted loudly about that this summer.

I never liked the dedicated FB messenger app so I just use the app Chat/instant or inbox and it works just fine. If you leave the chat box OPEN it works just as good as my iPhone's FB messenger BUT if you leave the page to check something else, you MIGHT have to click GO ONLINE again. But it's fine by me.
    11-18-16 12:11 AM
    I think that's because so many people were still using OS7 devices in 2014, but i do think that stopping the support is a way to make people upgrade to a different phone to continue using facebook, as a lot of people use this social media, i'm not a big fan of this app, in fact i think i have an idea why facebook wants the old versions closed, all i ever see is US news stories in the iphone app and posts from other friends from other countries can take 2 days to show up in my feed, the blackberry app shows posts as they happen, i turned off all notifications for the iphone app because i was sick of the notifications and opening the app and to be greeted with stories of people acting stupid. I was planning on using the facebook messenger as a substitute for when whatsapp is gone.

Zuckerberg is all about the bucks $$
    11-18-16 12:12 AM

1. Add email accounts

You can only do a few things off wifi but you will get SMS twitter alerts (as an example) without BIS if you set up your Twitter for text notifs, like I did. Basically for me the only alerts I got without BIS were the twitter alerts and when near wifi then the FB notifs kicked in too.

But as for emails you have to have BIS off the SIM card but try to send the service books if you are sure you have BIS enabled on your sim and you have tried everything else. Do you know how to do this?

As for setting up the 9900 it literally took me weeks/months to fine tune all the settings because there are a LOT. I think that is why the 9900 is never boring to myself or many others, there is always some setting I am still able to Google or ask in here about and the learning never seems to end.

Just curious about your email, are we talking about Gmail? Hotmail??

Don't have a Microsoft PC/MacBook so cannot advise on the rest.
    11-18-16 12:21 AM
    Ok just saw this post now, about no BIS.

Shuswap would know fo sho.
    11-18-16 12:23 AM
    Just curious has anyone tried to re-activate their WhatsApp and can you tell me what happened? I did not delete the app but the last time I tried a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't recognize my number and said to get a more modern device LOL.

Any updates?

Also is your WhatsApp still working if you did not remove it and just kept going with it in the last month or so?
    11-18-16 12:27 AM
    Ok just saw this post now, about no BIS.

Shuswap would know fo sho.
    So update...and soon I called AT&T and gave the IMEI and SIM they flipped the switched. I almost immediately got the BIS activation email from BlackBerry. Was solid at that point.

Then, had four email accounts to setup. Two Yahoo and two Gmail. The Yahoo accounts setup perfectly. The Gmail accounts kept saying incorrect password, but I'd seen this before. I went to Gmail on my MacBook and of course it didn't recognize the BlackBerry 9900 so it asked me if I wanted to give access. I did that for both Gmail accounts. So then all email accounts were flowing.

Now let me tell you, going back to the 7130 I've had 26 smartphones including 20 or so BlackBerry's. So I flew through the settings. Totally familiar with everything. BUT.........

No matter what I tired, while my computer recognizes the 9900, Desktop Manager would not. So unfortunately I cannot get my contacts or any media over. I tried everything, trust me.

So tomorrow I'll go to AT&T and have my old device activated and back my contacts and photos up to AT&Ts app which is 100% available on the 9900 as well. Then I'll reactivate the 9900 and restore the contacts and photos I want.

Definitely some work than expected but worth it for sure.

Appreciate everyone's help.
    11-18-16 01:19 AM
    So update...and soon I called AT&T and gave the IMEI and SIM they flipped the switched. I almost immediately got the BIS activation email from BlackBerry. Was solid at that point.

Then, had four email accounts to setup. Two Yahoo and two Gmail. The Yahoo accounts setup perfectly. The Gmail accounts kept saying incorrect password, but I'd seen this before. I went to Gmail on my MacBook and of course it didn't recognize the BlackBerry 9900 so it asked me if I wanted to give access. I did that for both Gmail accounts. So then all email accounts were flowing.

Now let me tell you, going back to the 7130 I've had 26 smartphones including 20 or so BlackBerry's. So I flew through the settings. Totally familiar with everything. BUT.........

No matter what I tired, while my computer recognizes the 9900, Desktop Manager would not. So unfortunately I cannot get my contacts or any media over. I tried everything, trust me.

So tomorrow I'll go to AT&T and have my old device activated and back my contacts and photos up to AT&Ts app which is 100% available on the 9900 as well. Then I'll reactivate the 9900 and restore the contacts and photos I want.

Definitely some work than expected but worth it for sure.

Appreciate everyone's help.
    Glad your Gmail's work, a lot of people have trouble with that and I had an issue and I researched it and read that I had to go into Gmail settings and allow less secure devices, and then it worked beautifully.

As for my contacts being on my 9900, well the Sim card is a nano Sim from my iPhone and all my contacts were put on there by Rogers when they activated my Sim card in the first place. So all my contacts are always there it seems, thank goodness.
    11-18-16 01:37 AM
    And yes someone was saying here not too long ago that all the major US carriers still have BIS but some of the employees at these carriers might not know about it or how to activate it.

Recently I had to have the service books sent to my BlackBerry and fortunately I got a girl at Rogers that remembers how to do this because she started five years ago and she said all she ever worked on were blackberries. I still wonder if I had anyone else, would even know what to do, I doubt it.
    11-18-16 01:39 AM

USB Storage
    Media Sync
    Charge Only

Well, its been way too long since I last did this so... Right or wrong, I just plugged my vzw 9930, OS7.1.0.1066, into a fully updated Win7 Panasonic Toughbook CF30 with a known "good" usb cable.

Selected "USB Drive". Then "enter device password" on both device and popup on pc.

ESET Antivirus does a quick usb drive scan.

I then fired up BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7.1.0.41. After a brief pause, the message at the bottom right of the DS page indicates "connecting". Soon it indicates "sync all". Then center of page under "Device options" displays model#, pin, etc...

I clicked "Back Up Now" and etc, etc...

Right or wrong...
    11-18-16 04:55 AM
    I wonder what ever happened to that guy from Indonesia we talked to in this thread this summer...... he was thinking about getting a 9900 if I recall, or a Q10 I believe.
    Were you referring me? LOL :-D

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    11-18-16 08:30 AM
    Were you referring me? LOL :-D

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    Might have been There have been a few.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-18-16 04:04 PM
    Well after two days now of trying I cannot get my contacts on the 9900. Not by email, SIM card, applications, software, anything. I am officially done. Add this 9900 to the drawer of smartphones.

1. BlackBerry 7100
    2. BlackBerry 8703
    3. BlackBerry Pearl 8130
    4. BlackBerry 8830
    5. BlackBerry Curve 9330
    6. BlackBerry Bold 9650
    7. BlackBerry Storm (PIECE OF SH*T)
    8. BlackBerry Tour 9630
    9. BlackBerry Torch 9850 (AMAZING)
    10. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 (Best EVER)
    11. iPhone 4
    12. iPhone 5
    13. BlackBerry Z10
    14. BlackBerry Q10
    15. BlackBerry Z30
    16. iPhone 5s
    17. BlackBerry Passport
    18. BlackBerry Classic
    19. iPhone 6 (Space Gray)
    20. BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983
    21. iPhone 6 (Gold)
    22. BlackBerry PRIV (Android Fail 1)
    23. iPhone 6s (Space Gray)
    24. iPhone 6s (Gold)
    25. iPhone 7
    26. BlackBerry DTEK50 (Wanted to like)
    27. BlackBerry Bold 9900 (just can't)
    ---------Back to iPhone 7
    ---------Resisting the Pixel
    Last edited by RoscosDad; 11-19-16 at 01:11 PM.
    11-18-16 05:18 PM
    Well I guess it is too late for you now. I would've:
    1) Just use the SIM. The adapters work great, so I have a nano and just use the appropriate adapter for each phone. Makes it easy to swap devices without having to call for new SIM's
    2) Transfer contacts & calendar appointments using Bluetooth or NFC.

For other media, just pop out the SD card into a reader and put stuff on or pull stuff off. Although if your computer recognizes it as a MSD, then you don't even need to do that.

I find the Desktop SW to be a bit odd and inconsistent sometimes. Just today I found my setup at home found a new update to my 9900 but keeps failing to download & update. Tried the same thing at work & done in one go. Although officially, I don't think it should've gone through. It's a T-Mobile device on Wind network which already had the latest Wind build on it.

11-18-16 05:43 PM
8,754 ... 147148149150151 ...