Very good article about WhatsApp and the BlackBerry connection and acknowledged that there are still a lot of users on BlackBerry OS. Also look at how many people in India use WhatsApp, we're talking about 160 million so no wonder they're thinking twice about this, or so it seems.

WhatsApp to continue supporting BlackBerry OS, Nokia platforms till June 2017

http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.EoTcT
    11-16-16 04:17 AM
    Attachment 412285

Does anyone have ANY Idea what this is?

A friend posted it on FB and I don't want to ask her
    Oh cool! The fairphone 2. That's the modular phone you assemble yourself. Your friend bought one?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-16-16 10:59 AM
    Oh cool! The fairphone 2. That's the modular phone you assemble yourself. Your friend bought one?

No idea. So what kind of housing do you use with this thing? iPhone?
    11-16-16 02:21 PM

Pretty interesting concept!
    Built for Android OS.

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-16-16 02:27 PM
    Pretty interesting concept!
    Built for Android OS.

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/
    I would mess something up when assembling it so I'll just buy mine completed
    11-16-16 02:31 PM
    It comes in pieces. You assemble it. European phone. It's supposed to be eco-friendly or made from eco material techniques. It's a bit pricey, like buying organic foods.

It does come with a transparent case, optional. That's pretty cool, like those transparent watches one sees once in a while.

11-16-16 02:51 PM
    I would mess something up when assembling it so I'll just buy mine completed
    Neat concept but it runs an old version of Android and all the pitfalls that implies.
    11-16-16 02:52 PM
    But it's modular! You can take out pieces for higher spec ones and if the company updates the software, you're good to go. Anyway, I think the specs are not the point here, it's the idea that you're helping the environment.

Personally, I can help the environment better by staying with my old phone and not upgrading.

I'm thinking of using my 9930 as a go phone on att. I may not have bis or data Internet, except maybe using opera mini is a workaround for that.

11-16-16 03:22 PM
    Very good article about WhatsApp and the BlackBerry connection and acknowledged that there are still a lot of users on BlackBerry OS. ...
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.EoTcT
    Is this article suggesting that there are more BB7 users than BB10? That would be interesting. I understand there might have been more BB7 devices sold historically, but people are still hanging on to them??? (Errmm...well I'm one of them ;-)

If that's the case, why isn't anyone giving a migration path for those BB7 users?
    (Hint: Gimme a 9900 sized BB10 phone with the toolbelt & trackpad! Or even better, a 9900 with better camera & browser!)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-16-16 06:34 PM
    The Phone OS is a significant driver of phone obsolescence. People may prefer a more static system but it is a fact. BB10 is currently a static OS but we can see that the operation of these devices is on a downward trek.

Personally, I would want a phone that has at least a four year window for OS updates.
    11-16-16 06:38 PM
    Great help on here and sorry if this was covered. With the many folks now speaking in emoji language are there any options for us? Even just to view would be very helpful. Thanks
    11-16-16 06:55 PM
    Is this article suggesting that there are more BB7 users than BB10? That would be interesting. I understand there might have been more BB7 devices sold historically, but people are still hanging on to them??? (Errmm...well I'm one of them ;-)

If that's the case, why isn't anyone giving a migration path for those BB7 users?
    (Hint: Gimme a 9900 sized BB10 phone with the toolbelt & trackpad! Or even better, a 9900 with better camera & browser!)

BB10 wouldn't work on such a small screen, everything is so big and animated on BB10, i had a Q10 for three years and i can view more things on my 9900 with the same size font compared to the Q10, i think maybe if it was possible for them to implement android runtimes on OS7 they could have OS7.5 with android runtime, a larger battery, higher quality camera with auto-focus, an updated browser and of course being able to see emoji's which could be really easy, even for 7.1 where there could be an emoji pack that could be added to the language keyboards like if adding a second language, that could really help because even in BBM, non BB users will send emoji's and they will just be black boxes and i have no idea what they are. I really think there are more OS7 whatsapp users, there's probably even OS5 and OS6 whatsapp users still, i still dont see how turning off access to the server for the blackberry users is any use, considering the app works fine, so they should just allow blackberry users to continue using the app but just dont update the app or work on any updates for the blackberry app.

11-16-16 07:04 PM
    Bold 9900 being delivered via USPS tomorrow 3pm. I will be out of state. Signature required. Not happy. Not at all...lol. Paid $22 for overnight shipping and pre-signed for package on myusps site but was told can't override a signature requirement on overnight shipments. Need guarantee. So dumb. Need a work around.
    11-16-16 09:38 PM
    It comes in pieces. You assemble it. European phone. It's supposed to be eco-friendly or made from eco material techniques. It's a bit pricey, like buying organic foods.

It does come with a transparent case, optional. That's pretty cool, like those transparent watches one sees once in a while.

Makes sense, my friend is in Switzerland when she posted it.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-16-16 10:18 PM
    But it's modular! You can take out pieces for higher spec ones and if the company updates the software, you're good to go. Anyway, I think the specs are not the point here, it's the idea that you're helping the environment.

Personally, I can help the environment better by staying with my old phone and not upgrading.

I'm thinking of using my 9930 as a go phone on att. I may not have bis or data Internet, except maybe using opera mini is a workaround for that.

I liked Opera, although I had 2 issues with it on my 9900. One issue was Facebook would not register anymore, but that is to be expected after that much time without an update. Twitter and everything else worked VERY fast though.

And the other issue was every once in a while, despite the settings being on "English" it would revert everything to Spanish and it drove me bonkers.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-16-16 10:20 PM

When I re-joined CB back in December the numbers floating around in here were 20 million total global BB users and 12 million were Legacy registered. I am curious how they get those numbers, do they go by BIS or BBM registeries?

Considering the article says India alone has 160 million Whatsapp users alone, and Legacy is still pretty popular there supposedly, I have to wonder if those numbers aren't higher. That's why I wonder about the total numbers they give.

I think a LOT of people in Third World and more poor countries are holding onto them and they cannot afford to run out and buy an 800 dollar iphone for fun. For them this Whatsapp communication or BBM may be their only communication. I have some friends in Indonesia and they sometimes carry 3 Blackberries because of the thousands of islands and there may not be tower sharing like we have here, and often calling will not work but BBM is more reliable for certain situations.

11-16-16 10:33 PM

Personally, I would want a phone that has at least a four year window for OS updates.
    The longest one I know of that got updates for 5 years was the Iphone. Until ios 10 came out the 2011 4S was still updatable until recently. Compared to our 2011 9900's and the updates stopped when, about 3 years ago? OTA updates.

I'm thinking anyone is pretty LUCKY if they can get any device to last 4 years, let alone still be able to get updates for them. I think we are lucky now if we get 2 or 3 years max.

11-16-16 10:38 PM
    Great help on here and sorry if this was covered. With the many folks now speaking in emoji language are there any options for us? Even just to view would be very helpful. Thanks
    For the 9900 and in Whatsapp the emoj's were pretty much as plentiful as apple's. But for other messaging apps I never saw as many. Still there are dozens of emoj apps in Blackberry App World that might still be working, etc.

11-16-16 10:40 PM
    Double post
    11-16-16 10:45 PM
    Bold 9900 being delivered via USPS tomorrow 3pm. I will be out of state. Signature required. Not happy. Not at all...lol. Paid $22 for overnight shipping and pre-signed for package on myusps site but was told can't override a signature requirement on overnight shipments. Need guarantee. So dumb. Need a work around.
    Cool purchase but that sucks man, let us know what happens. Hopefully they won't leave it outside your mailbox or something for the first bloke to just take it . Where do you live again, just kidding.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-16-16 at 11:01 PM.
    anon(9733642) likes this.
    11-16-16 10:51 PM
    When I re-joined CB back in December the numbers floating around in here were 20 million total global BB users and 12 million were Legacy registered. I am curious how they get those numbers, do they go by BIS or BBM registeries?

Considering the article says India alone has 160 million Whatsapp users alone, and Legacy is still pretty popular there supposedly, I have to wonder if those numbers aren't higher. That's why I wonder about the total numbers they give.

I think a LOT of people in Third World and more poor countries are holding onto them and they cannot afford to run out and buy an 800 dollar iphone for fun. For them this Whatsapp communication or BBM may be their only communication. I have some friends in Indonesia and they sometimes carry 3 Blackberries because of the thousands of islands and there may not be tower sharing like we have here, and often calling will not work but BBM is more reliable for certain situations.

Clients & Colleagues in Indonesia universally favor BIS, despite the fee structure. These folks are certainly financially positioned to purchase more expensive handsets but 99 is their fav.
    11-17-16 03:01 AM
    Makes sense, my friend is in Switzerland when she posted it.

Another thing about the fairphone 2 is that it is an open platform. You can ditch the android on it and install, oh, Jolla sailfish os, for instance. Maybe even, ooooh, some BlackBerry os.

Well, that's if BlackBerry ever made an unlocked autolauncher for it. Hah. Yeah that's not happening...

11-17-16 07:10 AM
    So i went into the App World and this was the first thing on the home page, apparently Facebook messenger for BlackBerry is getting shut down just like what they did to Facebook BlackBerry app in March, but because the blackberry facebook app continues to work i think the messenger should work like normal too. I think it's sad how such a rich company cant just let the blackberry users use this app, facebook really is the worst, Whatsapp probably would have continued to support blackberry a little longer if facebook had not bought the company, facebook is not fans of blackberry, probably because of how good it's security is. I wont be making the mistake of upgrading the app because i did that when i had my Q10 and it made me used the web based facebook.

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    11-17-16 09:40 AM
    So i went into the App World and this was the first thing on the home page, apparently Facebook messenger for BlackBerry is getting shut down just like what they did to Facebook BlackBerry app in March, but because the blackberry facebook app continues to work i think the messenger should work like normal too. I think it's sad how such a rich company cant just let the blackberry users use this app, facebook really is the worst, Whatsapp probably would have continued to support blackberry a little longer if facebook had not bought the company, facebook is not fans of blackberry, probably because of how good it's security is. I wont be making the mistake of upgrading the app because i did that when i had my Q10 and it made me used the web based facebook.

BBOS 7 reached End of Sales and Support in Jul 2014. I think the fact FB supported it as long as it has is actually something to be commended.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    11-17-16 02:56 PM
    BBOS 7 reached End of Sales and Support in Jul 2014. I think the fact FB supported it as long as it has is actually something to be commended.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    I think that's because so many people were still using OS7 devices in 2014, but i do think that stopping the support is a way to make people upgrade to a different phone to continue using facebook, as a lot of people use this social media, i'm not a big fan of this app, in fact i think i have an idea why facebook wants the old versions closed, all i ever see is US news stories in the iphone app and posts from other friends from other countries can take 2 days to show up in my feed, the blackberry app shows posts as they happen, i turned off all notifications for the iphone app because i was sick of the notifications and opening the app and to be greeted with stories of people acting stupid. I was planning on using the facebook messenger as a substitute for when whatsapp is gone.

11-17-16 03:15 PM
8,754 ... 146147148149150 ...