Well, there you have it. Your nostalgia-inspiring Bold 9900 is likely to make you a better person.
    Well I already know I'm the best I could ever be ;-) but yeah I can't explain it when I use the 9900 I just feel more "at home." It could be because I started on a 9780 as my first smart phone but I guess I'm just used to the OS and that familiarity. Hard to explain but I'm more relaxed than using this iPhone, when I'm on the BlackBerry.

Right now I'm just in kind of in a funk and taking advantage of all the apps like Snapchat and Instagram for photos because the weather is still beautiful here and everybody's walking around with T-shirts!! It's unbelievable for this time of year so that's kind of why I want to run out this iPhone as much as possible while the weather is nice, and then switch back to the 9900 soon enough.

Missing the clickiness, what can I say! Even as I type this I'm using talk to text and it's infuriating having to go back reread everything knowing it made mistakes and then fix it.
    11-10-16 08:39 PM
    Also I should say that without WhatsApp that I rely on for some people that do not have BBM, I found myself having to go to the iPad and using Instagram's message box. Now it is not the ideal messaging in Instagram but sometimes it's all you can use for some people. I don't want to go back to Line or Viber on the 9900 because it wasn't very good, crashing and stuff like that. So the iPad became my main messenger.

But one good thing about this iPhone is that pretty much everyone is on Facebook messenger but you do miss Whatsapp when you're on the 9900 for sure, there's no doubt it's a major loss.
    11-10-16 08:45 PM
    Also I should say that without WhatsApp that I rely on for some people that do not have BBM, I found myself having to go to the iPad and using Instagram's message box. Now it is not the ideal messaging in Instagram but sometimes it's all you can use for some people. I don't want to go back to Line or Viber on the 9900 because it wasn't very good, crashing and stuff like that. So the iPad became my main messenger.

But one good thing about this iPhone is that pretty much everyone is on Facebook messenger but you do miss Whatsapp when you're on the 9900 for sure, there's no doubt it's a major loss.
    See that's the issue. I am actually torn in making a decision at the moment. I have a friend of mine who has got two Q10's. And, he said to me that I could exchange my bold 9900 for his Q10. But, there are some things that I love about OS7 as shushwap mentioned. But, whatsapp exiting is something that I just don't know how I can deal with. The line app on 9900 seems to have been updated this year ( unbelievable and great!). So, I was wondering if I can use that instead of whatsapp. The browser is another thing with the 9900. There always seems to be an error popping up 'server certificate expired'. This happened while I was trying to browse phonedog.com in my 9900 and it occurs while browsing certain other websites too. All in all the 9900 is such a beautiful and a great device. The thought of replacing it with the Q makes me confused. I love 9900 and OS7 to the core. But, there are certain limitations I will have to learn to live with the 9900, I guess.... I just can't get enough of the form factor and the ease of use with the 9900. But offering me a Q is also tempting :-/

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    11-10-16 09:53 PM
    I do like the Q10 -- great keyboard, great size, removable battery, expandable storage, some webOS-style gestures, and a really nice multitasking setup.

But I prefer the Bold 9900 for the following reasons:
    • trackpad for text selection and navigation
    • OS 7 menus -- I like being able to access the menus with the BB button on every screen.
    • OS 7 settings -- there are so many more fine adjustments that you can make to OS 7
    • The sizing of OS 7 screen elements. Check out the font sizes under the icons on the Q10. Then check out the font size when you highlight an icon on OS 7. Likewise, try to change the font size in the body of emails on the Q10. If you figure that one out, let me know how to do it (there's a thread somewhere on CrackBerry where a BlackBerry rep explains that the inability to change the font size in emails was by design)!
    • I prefer the built in apps on OS 7.
      • I like the calendar better, especially in the agenda view.
      • The notes app opens instantly -- right into the notes page. The BB10 Remember app is slow to open and involves additional steps to do the job. Other people have commented that they prefer various OS 7 apps as well.
      • The music app is nicer. You can see more artists, albums, or songs on a single screen. (I like the Q10's sound a little better though).

• Overall handset design. I actually bought a silver bezel for my Q10 to make it as Bold-like as possible.
    • LCD -- the Bold 9900 LCD is sharp, bright, and the colour balance is better than the AMOLED on the Q10
    Woah that's such a detailed post! And I loved reading every bit of it. This is one another reason I just can't get enough with the 9900. You ,ralph, steve..etc in the forums make it seem as though the bold with os7 is the best thing to ever happen with BlackBerry. Only if I could get the BBM working without the BIS... atleast I could have a messenger instead of whatsapp in the bold 9900. I would love to know about the OS7 refinements that you have made, have you mentioned that in earlier posts? And, what about the browser? Does it give you any certificate expired error? Wrt fonts, does logicmail support fonts? I haven't tried it out yet. There's an app in BB10 that allows to change the fonts, but we will have to copy the text into the app and then change the fonts. But, you don't get the regular fonts, it's all funky and trendy kind of fonts. It's called 'Text flipper' in BlackBerry world.

11-10-16 10:08 PM
    Heaven would be the mercury as a 9900-stylized pkb phone on android.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    alfista likes this.
    11-10-16 10:19 PM
    Well If Line was updated for the 9900 as you say I might have to check it out because I had friends there if I could remember how I logged in.
    11-11-16 02:07 AM
    Well If Line was updated for the 9900 as you say I might have to check it out because I had friends there if I could remember how I logged in.
    Yeah I can see line being updated which is something I never ever expected. I haven't installed it and tried it out yet. I hope it's an update worth having. :-)

11-11-16 02:46 AM
    Yeah I can see line being updated which is something I never ever expected. I haven't installed it and tried it out yet. I hope it's an update worth having. :-)

Line was very simple, plain and boring compared to Whatsapp. Whatsapp was like having a fully loaded Mercedes with all the options and Line was like driving a Lada!

Such a shame about Whatsapp, it was a truly perfect working app on the 9900, no issues whatsoever!

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-11-16 03:19 AM
    Hmm... phonedog.com loads slow, on native browser, but no error messages here on my 9930. ?? I have latest OS, SSL3 unchecked and BIS working... ?? Fwiw?

Phonedog never loads on Opera... Idk... Loads fine on Classic, tho. Browsing on 99 is getting "clunkier". Lol. Def not a browsing beast. Gets by for basic "get by" browsing but I keep my secondary BB10 stuff handy, these days.

99 is just TOO sweet for communications. I'll keep mine as a text entry, calendar, spreadsheet editor, etc terminal long after bis & 3g dies. BB just got it right with this handset's form factor.

As a side note, a local cafe that my crew frequents, owned by my former business partner from a previous life, now has nine wifi only 9900's as order taking handsets. These replaced droids and wait & cook staff LOVE the single handed order entry terminals and brutally simple spreadsheet based setup. Thanks to a few pointers from my well practiced crew, wait staff are already taking orders in one hand with coffee carafe in the other. At least one, or a couple, have reportedly re-enabled personal 99s after re-discovering single handed proficiency!

I accused the owner of creating a 9900 shortage on ebay. Sorry guys.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-11-16 05:41 AM
    • The notes app opens instantly -- right into the notes page. The BB10 Remember app is slow to open and involves additional steps to do the job. Other people have commented that they prefer various OS 7 apps as well.
    What I do like about Remember and the Q10 is how easy it is to 'share' and transfer notes with other apps - I often hammer text into native Remember app and then 'share' it to other apps on the handset, usually Simplenote or MS OneNote, thereby making the data accessible on other devices e.g. my Mac computers.
    11-11-16 07:59 AM
    What I do like about Remember and the Q10 is how easy it is to 'share' and transfer notes with other apps - I often hammer text into native Remember app and then 'share' it to other apps on the handset, usually Simplenote or MS OneNote, thereby making the data accessible on other devices e.g. my Mac computers.

What a great tip!
    11-11-16 09:13 AM
    Miss my 9900. Went DTEK 50 because I finally lost patience with html email not working for me.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-11-16 09:19 AM
    Woah that's such a detailed post! And I loved reading every bit of it. This is one another reason I just can't get enough with the 9900. You ,ralph, steve..etc in the forums make it seem as though the bold with os7 is the best thing to ever happen with BlackBerry. Only if I could get the BBM working without the BIS... atleast I could have a messenger instead of whatsapp in the bold 9900. I would love to know about the OS7 refinements that you have made, have you mentioned that in earlier posts? And, what about the browser? Does it give you any certificate expired error? Wrt fonts, does logicmail support fonts? I haven't tried it out yet. There's an app in BB10 that allows to change the fonts, but we will have to copy the text into the app and then change the fonts. But, you don't get the regular fonts, it's all funky and trendy kind of fonts. It's called 'Text flipper' in BlackBerry world.

Haha if I could remember all the settings I've changed on the 9900, that would be a very long post. Suffice it to say, the OS and the apps offer a lot of user-definable options.

I am getting the certificate errors, but I remember figuring out how to stop them before. I believe that it involved turning off a security setting or permanently ignoring certificate errors though. I'll try to find whatever method I used.

I don't recall having the option to choose system or app fonts on the 9900, just font size. I could be wrong though.

Now you've got me thinking about using Comic Sans as the system default on my Q10!

AFAIK, LogicMail uses the system font size setting, but I'll check that later..
    11-11-16 09:27 AM
    Hmm... phonedog.com loads slow, on native browser, but no error messages here on my 9930. ?? I have latest OS, SSL3 unchecked and BIS working... ?? Fwiw?

Phonedog never loads on Opera... Idk... Loads fine on Classic, tho. Browsing on 99 is getting "clunkier". Lol. Def not a browsing beast. Gets by for basic "get by" browsing but I keep my secondary BB10 stuff handy, these days.

99 is just TOO sweet for communications. I'll keep mine as a text entry, calendar, spreadsheet editor, etc terminal long after bis & 3g dies. BB just got it right with this handset's form factor.

As a side note, a local cafe that my crew frequents, owned by my former business partner from a previous life, now has nine wifi only 9900's as order taking handsets. These replaced droids and wait & cook staff LOVE the single handed order entry terminals and brutally simple spreadsheet based setup. Thanks to a few pointers from my well practiced crew, wait staff are already taking orders in one hand with coffee carafe in the other. At least one, or a couple, have reportedly re-enabled personal 99s after re-discovering single handed proficiency!

I accused the owner of creating a 9900 shortage on ebay. Sorry guys.
    Every once in a while, eBay sellers list lots of multiple 9900s. I wonder if he bought one of those lots? I was barely outbid on a lot of 7 motherboards when I was looking for a new one. It would have been handy to have a couple of extras, and I know that there are people around here looking for replacement motherboards too.
    11-11-16 09:36 AM
    Every once in a while, eBay sellers list lots of multiple 9900s. I wonder if he bought one of those lots? I was barely outbid on a lot of 7 motherboards when I was looking for a new one. It would have been handy to have a couple of extras, and I know that there are people around here looking for replacement motherboards too.
    Hmm, interesting coincidence of numbers... Idk. He bought a lot of 7 complete 9930 handsets but idk any real details. Including the 2 he already had for testing, he really only needed 4 or 5 more but wanted spares. He's also grabbing up desk docs, sedio 3000mAh batts and spare batt chargers. Also some "yellow tail" PB chargers. So grabem if you can beat him to them. Heads up. Lol.

They've got 3 PBs scattered in the kitchen with hdmi to large screens suspended from ceiling. All displaying orders, time placed, etc, etc, ... Amazingly sophisticated for 5 year old obsolete equipment. Lol.

My crew is just doing it for "kicks" (and our resident "speed demon" coworker is engaged to a prep chef in the kitchen lol) but it was pretty easy to apply our tried & true system we've employed during plant startups for 6+ years. Our clients typically retain that system after we pack & leave and our "speed demon" coworker has been training those client personnel in 9900 operation. She's really a marvel to behold. If there's ever a "smartphone olympics" she's our candidate!!... Lol. She's got cafe wait staff flying impressively already. The 99's actually fit nicely with the cafe's "Jetson retro" theme. Some sort of TV show might be filming them at some point. Might see 99s in action on tv!! Lol.

Just more evidence that we love what we do enough to do it for free. Don't tell management till after year end contracts, tho. Lol.
    11-11-16 12:33 PM
    Ya so this makes sense (sarcasm) Facebook kills Whatsapp for the older Blackberries where many of the users are emerging markets and replaces it with a new SnapChat type app for the emerging markets.

Snapchat is the future, no doubt about it now.

http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.EmwDR
    11-11-16 09:47 PM
    Whoa, a 9900 listed for $250 and locked to Telus. Also it appears he is NOT a BB10 fan based on what he said ......

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1478925803.855106.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1478925826.601482.jpg
    11-11-16 10:43 PM
    Haha seriously! For 250$?? The guy must be crazy, lol.

11-12-16 12:02 AM
    Haha if I could remember all the settings I've changed on the 9900, that would be a very long post. Suffice it to say, the OS and the apps offer a lot of user-definable options.

I am getting the certificate errors, but I remember figuring out how to stop them before. I believe that it involved turning off a security setting or permanently ignoring certificate errors though. I'll try to find whatever method I used.

I don't recall having the option to choose system or app fonts on the 9900, just font size. I could be wrong though.

Now you've got me thinking about using Comic Sans as the system default on my Q10!

AFAIK, LogicMail uses the system font size setting, but I'll check that later..
    Cool, it would be really helpful If you could let me know about permanently ignoring the certificate errors. Haha yeah comic sans is a great font ;-). I am not still sure about BB10's font selection. In 9900 there is definitely an option to change system fonts I guess. Not just the size. :-)

Last edited by Farzeen25; 11-12-16 at 03:32 AM.
    11-12-16 12:06 AM
    Haha seriously! For 250$?? The guy must be crazy, lol.

I actually had to message the guy and I told him he will never get that price, even if it was unlocked. There are Classics for cheaper than that.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-12-16 01:42 AM
    How is your experience with the Q? I did read that you prefer the bold over the Q, is there any specific reason as to why you like the bold over the Q? I am just kinda curious to know :-)
    I have a Q10 in the drawer (plus many other BB10 phones). Right now the Bold 9900 has been my daily driver for a few months now. I used to swap between them.

The Q10 is a very good phone, I rather like it. Sometimes I feel guilty I don't use it more :-)
    But honestly the only complaints I had about the 9900 was the browser & the camera, but it will do for now. Even my initial complaint about the battery life has settled down and I find I can get through a day easily, sometimes wondering if I should even plug it in overnight for a charge.

For the Bold:
    - The trackpad. No matter how good the Q10 & BB10 are, that trackpad makes a huge difference when I gotta select text, or select multiple messages or anything like that
    - Strangely, the built-in apps. Many of them are not as flashy as on BB10, but it works more to my liking. For RSS feeds I use the Social Feeds app (on Q10 I had to buy Feedminder), The Task list is simple, but it works and does everything I need. The ability to flag messages as tasks/to-do right in the inbox
    - Just the OS itself, it's so fast and easy to navigate around especially with that trackpad. I'm surprised how fast an accurately I can, for example, dig into the menus to re-register the host routing tables.
    - Holster mode! Hey, it actually has one and it works!

The Q10 has it's charms, better browser, better camera and better battery life. I might even prefer the keyboard. But with the Bold, it's still fast, it does exactly what I need so there isn't really anything pushing me to drag that Q10 out of the drawer yet. Maybe if I can procure a 2nd Q10 backup I would...
    11-12-16 11:46 AM
    But with the Bold, it's still fast, it does exactly what I need so there isn't really anything pushing me to drag that Q10 out of the drawer yet. Maybe if I can procure a 2nd Q10 backup I would...
    I've been saying this for about a year, 11 months I guess, and if we say this anywhere else we're almost stoned because no one believes it. But it's more than true.

I have to charge or swap batteries at least once or twice a day, but then I'm using a huge Twitter account and I get a lot of notifications every day we're talking hundreds and very busy on Facebook as well. The Twitter and Facebook apps built-in are very good and you don't do the Facebook update, but the only regret with Facebook is I wish it was easier to post a picture to certain locations in Facebook and having to scroll through every single pic and wait for them to have to load on the 9900 itself. But with a little patience it pulls through and you can select our pics to post.

The trackpad is amazement on this device and it's something I kind of take for granted after getting used to it. When I installed the new white keyboard The new trackpad was part of the deal, all one piece and it's every bit as crisp and clicky as the keys, highly addictive. The fun factor is really I think besides the simplicity, the main reason that keeps us coming back. Well myself at least. As you say it does everything you need and with enough speed and as long as we enjoy the keyboard that's really all that matters. I might add that I find email second to none on the 9900.
    11-13-16 02:58 AM
    Optical trackpad is truly a modern marvel. It intro'd well after capacitive touch and represents a superior and more modern alternative, imo. Sure wish my laptops had BB's optical trackpad.

Track nav makes screen size utterly irrelevant. Small or giant. I love using it for big screen presentations thru PB's hdmi, for example. Especially the 100 inch screen in our conference room.

Despite its bulk, Classic's trackpad, and toolbelt, makes it the most single handed friendly of BB10, imo. My thumbs seem too short too wide too often for Q10's touch nav, imo.

My crew's unanimous disdain for Q resulted from a failure of a Q"s "soft end" to END a call... A client was able to continue listening to "shop talk" that included discussion about his competitor, also a client of ours and also bidding on the same project. That admirably ethical client called me to explain what had happened and then disqualified himself from that competitive bid. Quite the embarrassment on us. To this day, other than very rare exceptions, my crew avoids voice calls on our "soft end" devices. That leaves 99s & Classics for most voice.

My brother also experienced a fail to end where his divorce attorney failed to get a call ended on his iPhone. The X listened for quite a while before re-calling an explaining. That situation was thankfully amicable but it's too easy to see where it could be REALLY bad... That attorney now uses a Classic, last I heard.

"Soft end" poses potential privacy issues that haven't been adequately discussed, imo.
    11-13-16 05:37 AM

My crew's unanimous disdain for Q resulted from a failure of a Q"s "soft end" to END a call... A client was able to continue listening to "shop talk" that included discussion about his competitor, also a client of ours and also bidding on the same project. That admirably ethical client called me to explain what had happened and then disqualified himself from that competitive bid. Quite the embarrassment on us. To this day, other than very rare exceptions, my crew avoids voice calls on our "soft end" devices. That leaves 99s & Classics for most voice.
    Agreed, call ending is far more definite using hard keys such as those on the 9900. I do think that ending calls has improved marginally on later versions of BB10 but it remains imprecise. As a consequence, I use the 'return to holster' action to end all calls on my Q10.
    11-13-16 09:16 AM
    Yep, BB10 HAS improved thru the years but even Classic's "hard end" leaves some room for doubt, if you migrate away to other apps mid call... Like contacts, calendar, spreadsheet, etc ...

In contrast, "end" means END (!!!) on our 99s. Nearly no matter where you've migrated mid call. Our 99s still represent the epitome of "professional grade", imo.
    11-13-16 09:44 AM
8,754 ... 143144145146147 ...