Been a passport user here for more than 6 months and my experience is just pure awesome... For me personally, I would love to carry the bold with me for the calls and texts. Since, it's more handy to hold and talk. While, I would prefer my passport for all other stuffs. The bold has a better form factor but apart from that the passport is in a class of its own...
    Yep. Nailed it.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    11-08-16 07:43 AM
    Good points, I really don't get why so many Americans love to hate on Apple. Do they really want to see a Korean manufacturer like Samsung blow them away?
    Android came on the scene as the curmudgeon's OS -- something for people who didn't wanna jump on the Apple bandwagon just because everyone else was doing it. What people _still_ fail to realize is that while BlackBerry marketed the smartphone as a business necessity -- a device to facilitate efficient communication -- and Apple was marketing the smartphone as an entertainment device, Google's Android turned the smartphone into something else altogether: Your device was Google's portal to your information. Selling your information and derivatives thereof is how Google makes money.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    11-08-16 07:53 AM
    Android came on the scene as the curmudgeon's OS -- something for people who didn't wanna jump on the Apple bandwagon just because everyone else was doing it. What people _still_ fail to realize is that while BlackBerry marketed the smartphone as a business necessity -- a device to facilitate efficient communication -- and Apple was marketing the smartphone as an entertainment device, Google's Android turned the smartphone into something else altogether: Your device was Google's portal to your information. Selling your information and derivatives thereof is how Google makes money.

Seems to me that ads follow me around whether I use an iPhone or a Samsung. I rarely notice them any more.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 08:06 AM

Absolutely, but I am just happy I don't have any adds like my buddy does on his Nexus when he tries to DL an app. In fact, the only adds I think I see on my iphone is in Facebook and a small one in BBM, but that's all I can think of.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-08-16 07:08 PM
    The nice thing about the 9900 is NO ADDS

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-08-16 07:08 PM
    Hello! I'm back!
    Already replaced the keyboard, now we're typing! Then I made a wipe and restored with O2-UK 7.1 OS, shrinked to perform a minimal installation. I got an H2O Wireless Sim for it with a cheap, prepaid plan...

Then now I got some network data issues: installed Anworm's SB and other SBs I found to enable MMS on H2OW network. Installed Opera Mini 8 but can't get it to work either on mobile or WiFi. Also, native browser is running slow. Didn't get MMS tested, but I can't get the device to get 3G or 4G (tested the SIM/Network MMS with 3G/4G/LTE on an Android device). I searched and do find a way to edit/create updated SBs for H2OW and WiFi but need to read and try on it (envolves modifing ipd files with MagicBerry and a HEX editor and some time that I don't have on right know).

I will read back this thread to stay on date, but I need help and will appreciate if anyone know a shortcut to get the 99 runing internet smooth... Did not need any other thing than internet (to access web based stuff not available without BIS) and MMS capability. Well, maybe a theme: can't get BBAW running either. I want to try this theme https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...32368/?lang=en but can't get it for the 99. I will appreciate if someone can download it, then dump the jad file and upload it...

Well, until later...
    11-08-16 07:21 PM
    Hi, guys. I am tempted to buy 9900, but BIS is not available for my country. So, what would be my usage options in this case? Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    11-09-16 05:11 AM
    Hi, guys. I am tempted to buy 9900, but BIS is not available for my country. So, what would be my usage options in this case? Thanks!

Hi. Your best bet is to start here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/
    11-09-16 10:26 AM
    Hi. Your best bet is to start here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/
    Well, I know about it. I just want to know if it is worth having BlackBerry Bold 9900 for calling, sms, calendar and notes.

11-09-16 11:08 AM
    Hi, I have both a 9900 and a Q10, I much prefer the 9900 and have been using it now for the past six weeks after a break. I just swap the sim across when i need a change. Best phone for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    11-09-16 11:22 AM
    Well, I know about it. I just want to know if it is worth having BlackBerry Bold 9900 for calling, sms, calendar and notes.

Then you might have asked that question.

Calling and SMS are flawless if your network uses the same frequencies as the phone. MMS won't work without service books and if your carrier doesn't have BIS, it likely won't push you any service books.

Calendar and notes can be synced in a number of ways, including USB/bluetooth sync via MS outlook on a computer, or a service like Memotoo.
    11-09-16 07:25 PM

Twitter and facebook apps will work as well as google if on wifi. If you are big into those.

Edit: I should have mentioned that with Twitter, you can still get notifs sent as SMS if you enter your number in the Twitter settings, even if you have no BIS.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-10-16 at 12:37 AM.
    11-09-16 08:04 PM
    Thank you, guys!

anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-09-16 10:19 PM
    Twitter and facebook apps will work as well as google if on wifi. If you are big into those.

Edit: I should have mentioned that with Twitter, you can still get notifs sent as SMS if you enter your number in the Twitter settings, even if you have no BIS.
    You can use SMS for all kinds of notifications. I use POP3 for email with polling set at 2 hours to save battery, but also set my email to forward to SMS so that I get instant notifications. I think you can set up SMS notifications for Facebook too.

There's also a website called "If This Then That" (IFTTT.com) that allows you to set all kinds of SMS notifications. I like the ESPN integration for sports updates.

Edit: it's worth having a look at this tutorial as well: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orial-1066219/ It's for BB10, but a creative person could figure out ways of forwarding from a service > email > SMS to set up a number of different notifications.
    babugaru1 likes this.
    11-10-16 01:13 AM
    Then you might have asked that question.

Calling and SMS are flawless if your network uses the same frequencies as the phone. MMS won't work without service books and if your carrier doesn't have BIS, it likely won't push you any service books.

Calendar and notes can be synced in a number of ways, including USB/bluetooth sync via MS outlook on a computer, or a service like Memotoo.
    So how are things going with your BOLD? I mean, without BIS do you use the bold as your primary device or do you use dual carry? I am a bit curious since I loved your post on working out BBOS devices without BIS. :-)

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    11-10-16 01:56 AM
    And ralph, I completely agree with your intentions to test drive the iPhone ;-). We all love our blackberry's but that doesn't mean I am anti non blackberry LOL
    :-D

Last edited by Farzeen25; 11-10-16 at 02:43 AM.
    11-10-16 02:00 AM
    So how are things going with your BOLD? I mean, without BIS do you use the bold as your primary device or do you use dual carry? I am a bit curious since I loved your post on working out BBOS devices without BIS. :-)

Well, I used the Bold 9900 as my only device until August, when I mashed the keyboard connector on the motherboard. Afterwards, I revived my HP Pre3, which I used until a little over a week ago, when I started to get the dreaded "The application database is almost full" error, which means that I need to repartition the drive to make additional space for that database. The message came on a workday, I was tired, and I said **** it.

So I switched over to my Q10.

Then, the parts came to fix the 9900, so it's ready to use again. I like the 9900 better than the Q10, but I have to transfer over my contacts, calendar entries, etc. It would be no problem to do it this weekend, so I will have to make a choice.

Any relatively recent device will serve my needs. All that's required is the phone, SMS, contacts, calendar, notes, email, Tapatalk, a music player, podcast app, and TuneIn Radio or some equivalent. If I have those things, I'm happy, and I have them on every device I own. If MS hadn't broken the email encryption on my HTC Tilt2 I could still make do with it, and that's getting positively ancient now.

As for dual carry, does a laptop count? I still prefer it for everything else, and haul it around every day at work.
    11-10-16 02:12 AM
    You can use SMS for all kinds of notifications. I use POP3 for email with polling set at 2 hours to save battery, but also set my email to forward to SMS so that I get instant notifications. I think you can set up SMS notifications for Facebook too.

There's also a website called "If This Then That" (IFTTT.com) that allows you to set all kinds of SMS notifications. I like the ESPN integration for sports updates.

Edit: it's worth having a look at this tutorial as well: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orial-1066219/ It's for BB10, but a creative person could figure out ways of forwarding from a service > email > SMS to set up a number of different notifications.
    Thanks for mentioning my thread here Im glad as it is being helpful for others

That solution works best on bb10

But in bb7, you can achieve this as per below steps

Follow below steps

1. Create gmail account which will be only used for all the notifications
    2. Login to face book and change email ID
    https://www.facebook.com/settings?ta...ection=email&t
    3. Login to twitter and change email ID
    https://twitter.com/settings/account
    4. Login to linkedin and change email ID
    https://www.linkedin.com/settings/manage-email
    5. Now set up new email account in bb7 devices

Thats it..receive instant notifications..enjoy
    Last edited by babugaru1; 11-10-16 at 04:34 AM.
    11-10-16 03:43 AM
    Well, I used the Bold 9900 as my only device until August, when I mashed the keyboard connector on the motherboard. Afterwards, I revived my HP Pre3, which I used until a little over a week ago, when I started to get the dreaded "The application database is almost full" error, which means that I need to repartition the drive to make additional space for that database. The message came on a workday, I was tired, and I said **** it.

So I switched over to my Q10.

Then, the parts came to fix the 9900, so it's ready to use again. I like the 9900 better than the Q10, but I have to transfer over my contacts, calendar entries, etc. It would be no problem to do it this weekend, so I will have to make a choice.

Any relatively recent device will serve my needs. All that's required is the phone, SMS, contacts, calendar, notes, email, Tapatalk, a music player, podcast app, and TuneIn Radio or some equivalent. If I have those things, I'm happy, and I have them on every device I own. If MS hadn't broken the email encryption on my HTC Tilt2 I could still make do with it, and that's getting positively ancient now.

As for dual carry, does a laptop count? I still prefer it for everything else, and haul it around every day at work.
    That's cool! The fact that you have been using 9900 till August speaks volumes of how much BBOS still delivers. So, basically you are a retro guy, I mean ultra retro guy :-D! Everything you have mentioned is exactly what my needs are. But I wonder if you don't rely on any instant messaging services like whatsapp, BBM, wechat or any other third party apps for that matter. Mostly, all the businesses in my country rely on whatsapp. I still love the bold so much and there are times when I wonder if I could make it my daily driver. But then the thought of whatsapp leaving the platform does give me chills down my spine. BB10 would still be able to use the droid version of the messenger but I hardly believe BBOS will be able to make it. I would still not mind leaving whatsapp for the sake of BBOS / BB10 :-)

Also, if you have a laptop all the time then I suppose you don't even need a smartphone :-p

11-10-16 03:54 AM
    That's cool! The fact that you have been using 9900 till August speaks volumes of how much BBOS still delivers. So, basically you are a retro guy, I mean ultra retro guy :-D! Everything you have mentioned is exactly what my needs are. But I wonder if you don't rely on any instant messaging services like whatsapp, BBM, wechat or any other third party apps for that matter. Mostly, all the businesses in my country rely on whatsapp. I still love the bold so much and there are times when I wonder if I could make it my daily driver. But then the thought of whatsapp leaving the platform does give me chills down my spine. BB10 would still be able to use the droid version of the messenger but I hardly believe BBOS will be able to make it. I would still not mind leaving whatsapp for the sake of BBOS / BB10 :-)

Also, if you have a laptop all the time then I suppose you don't even need a smartphone :-p

I don't use Whatsapp or any other messenger. I would use Skype, but the Skype messaging in IM+ Pro stopped working several years ago on OS 7, and Skype on BB10 burned through my battery life.

In Canada, unlimited SMS is part of most cellular packages. Even on Prepaid, it's very cheap (Rogers has a $120 / year unlimited texting plus unlimited evenings and weekends plan). It's hard to go wrong for $10 a month. Anyways, the result is that I use SMS, since everyone I know has unlimited SMS. If I lived in a part of the world where texting was expensive and data was cheap, I'd use a messaging app, and I'd be planning to retire my 9900.

I guess you're right about not needing the smartphone, but if I'm on the move and the laptop is in my backpack, it's a lot easier to pull out the phone to check the calendar, write a quick note, or listen to podcasts in the car.

If you like traditional 4-row physical keyboards these days, unless you're willing to live with the highly unsatisfactory keyboard on the Priv, you're a retro guy!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    11-10-16 09:23 AM
    Haha, yeah I agree. Btw, sms plans doesn't cost much here, I guess it's much cheaper here compared to yours. I won't even mind to use that option. But the thing is there are not much people on sms plans these days. Everyone here relies on whatsapp. But, I hate to rely myself on apps, especially whatsapp for their policies and agreements. I guess It's better to quit using whatsapp. Let's see, my love for BlackBerry and it's home grown OS far exceeds any app for that matter. Like some claim, if people want to communicate with me, they might as well text me or call me. LOL.

I just love the simplicity and fluidity of OS7. I just don't want to retire using that for some glass slabs. And, with your guide I can make the best out of my device considering my bold is just a few days old. Lol

How is your experience with the Q? I did read that you prefer the bold over the Q, is there any specific reason as to why you like the bold over the Q? I am just kinda curious to know :-)

Last edited by Farzeen25; 11-10-16 at 11:12 AM.
    11-10-16 09:47 AM
    How is your experience with the Q? I did read that you prefer the bold over the Q, is there any specific reason as to why you like the bold over the Q? I am just kinda curious to know :-)
    I do like the Q10 -- great keyboard, great size, removable battery, expandable storage, some webOS-style gestures, and a really nice multitasking setup.

But I prefer the Bold 9900 for the following reasons:
    • trackpad for text selection and navigation
    • OS 7 menus -- I like being able to access the menus with the BB button on every screen.
    • OS 7 settings -- there are so many more fine adjustments that you can make to OS 7
    • The sizing of OS 7 screen elements. Check out the font sizes under the icons on the Q10. Then check out the font size when you highlight an icon on OS 7. Likewise, try to change the font size in the body of emails on the Q10. If you figure that one out, let me know how to do it (there's a thread somewhere on CrackBerry where a BlackBerry rep explains that the inability to change the font size in emails was by design)!
    • I prefer the built in apps on OS 7.
      • I like the calendar better, especially in the agenda view.
      • The notes app opens instantly -- right into the notes page. The BB10 Remember app is slow to open and involves additional steps to do the job. Other people have commented that they prefer various OS 7 apps as well.
      • The music app is nicer. You can see more artists, albums, or songs on a single screen. (I like the Q10's sound a little better though).

• Overall handset design. I actually bought a silver bezel for my Q10 to make it as Bold-like as possible.
    • LCD -- the Bold 9900 LCD is sharp, bright, and the colour balance is better than the AMOLED on the Q10
    11-10-16 07:38 PM
    Haha, yeah I agree. Btw, sms plans doesn't cost much here, I guess it's much cheaper here compared to yours. I won't even mind to use that option. But the thing is there are not much people on sms plans these days. Everyone here relies on whatsapp.
    Strange coincidence, but this thread was on Red Flag Deals this morning: Knowroaming.com - Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Basically, if you use one of the codes in the thread, you can get a SIM for $5 US. If you don't use the prepaid calling, SMS, or data, you can have free Whatsapp over cellular for 15 months. Not bad for $5. I bought one just to give it a try.
    11-10-16 07:48 PM
    Feelings of nostalgia allows us to be more patient.....

https://hbr.org/2016/11/feelings-of-...s-more-patient
    11-10-16 07:52 PM
    Feelings of nostalgia allows us to be more patient.....

https://hbr.org/2016/11/feelings-of-...s-more-patient

Well, there you have it. Your nostalgia-inspiring Bold 9900 is likely to make you a better person.
    11-10-16 08:33 PM
8,754 ... 142143144145146 ...