And even worse, ios10 made things even worse. I hope 10.1 fixes stuff otherwise I am swearing off all new Apple updates.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    I agree about the iPad, but at least it's better than on my iPhone. You are right typing on an iPhone isn't fun but don't expect iOS 10.1.1 to fix anything for keyboards, it's all pretty much exactly the same but It did fix all the lag when jumping screen to screen and from my Facebook from jamming up my phone.
    11-04-16 05:33 PM
    Steve, there is one common denominator between all of these folks who are using BBOS devices .....you. But good on you.
    For me it's just simply put, the 9900 itself, the size how it feels to function, the speed at which it works, still being able to drop it in your front pocket and forget it's there.

There's a long answer for that question somewhere.
    11-04-16 05:35 PM
    I have a feeling that BBOS we will be around long after BB 10 stops working. Can you guess why I would say that?

I think the answer is because BBOS Took about 10 years to be fully developed, it is established, and still seems to work pretty well after five years, even though some apps might not or have been killed for it.

And many people mention the short lifespan of BB 10, namely how it was only around for a what, a year before Blackberry decided to go with android. Is that accurate? Thoughts?
    11-04-16 08:39 PM
    One more point I forgot is I am still seeing updates for certain apps as late as this year for BBOS in the App Store. Is this still continuing for BB 10 or is it getting few and far between?
    11-04-16 08:43 PM
    BB10 apps are still getting updates. And I think BB10 devices will continue to function fine for another several years.

BIS servers won't remain on forever. Eventually the number of people using legacy BlackBerry devices will be too small to justify keeping them running. If and when the BIS servers are all shut down, it won't impact BB10 at all. Honestly, I think BB10 devices are more future proof than BBOS devices.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Bbnivende and mushroom_daddy like this.
    11-04-16 09:29 PM
    the number of people using legacy BlackBerry devices will be too small to justify keeping them running.
    There are still a lot more users for BBOS right now so I'm not sure you can use this argument

In the last year I remember seeing a lot of people in CrackBerry forms complaining about certain apps on BB 10, lots of problems. But they've been silent lately, more or less.
    11-04-16 10:12 PM
    when the BIS servers are all shut down
    One thing I am sure of however is that BIS will die IN THE US long before it dies in Canada.

When I talked with the girl from Rogers last week to activate my service books, she basically implied there's no problem whatsoever with it being around for a while yet.
    11-04-16 10:14 PM
    For me it's just simply put, the 9900 itself, the size how it feels to function, the speed at which it works, still being able to drop it in your front pocket and forget it's there.

There's a long answer for that question somewhere.
    Haha... There's a long question for that answer somewhere... Haha.

The "common denominator" is the decade+ of evolutionary experience ultimately culminating in our 9900s. Experience that was consciously abandoned in BB10. Reportedly, thanks to a stupid book Mike read. Lol. Some of the lessons of that hard won experience will obviously never return.

Our five year old devices do certain things, in certain ways, that are simply not available in any other device on any other platform. Those of us who truly appreciate, and/or NEED, these unique attributes really have no other choice. Where do we turn? We never abandoned BB. BB has mostly abandoned us, tho. And here we are.
    11-05-16 07:57 AM
    One thing I am sure of however is that BIS will die IN THE US long before it dies in Canada.

When I talked with the girl from Rogers last week to activate my service books, she basically implied there's no problem whatsoever with it being around for a while yet.
    BIS' future might not be entirely unrelated to BES/Good NOC mission. ??

Just as a sanity check, consider that if we still have 10million+ bis users, each generating at least $1 per month... That's $10M per month! $120M per year... When will maintenance expenses on that already capitalized infrastructure exceed that?? To what extent might that existing infrastructure play a roll in BBRY's BES12.5/Good future?
    11-05-16 08:17 AM
    BIS' future might not be entirely unrelated to BES/Good NOC mission. ??

Just as a sanity check, consider that if we still have 10million+ bis users, each generating at least $1 per month... That's $10M per month! $120M per year... When will maintenance expenses on that already capitalized infrastructure exceed that?? To what extent might that existing infrastructure play a roll in BBRY's BES12.5/Good future?
    I admit I don't have a good understanding of exactly how BIS operates, what is entailed in maintaining it, what incentive carriers have to continue supporting it, how much BlackBerry earns from it, etc.

I also don't understand it's relationship to BES. Perhaps it was more co-dependent with BES10 than BES12?

All I know for certain is there are no new phones being produced that require BIS, and while there may be a small number of people going back to legacy BlackBerry devices there are far more moving away from them. So the demand for BES will continue to decline through attrition.

In the US, I could see T-Mobile and Sprint dropping BIS support first, while Verizon and AT&T hang on for a while longer. But I don't think it can continue forever, especially as 3G support is phased out.

I'm not trying to be doom-and-gloomy, just trying to understand what kind of realistic expectations we should have for how much longer we can enjoy the full legacy BlackBerry experience.

11-05-16 09:14 AM
    All good things eventually end. Even our Sun will one day run out of fuel... Lol.

Question is when? My crystal ball is pretty foggy on that. Lol.

Safe to say that virtually no one would expend any meaningful resources in keeping BIS alive. Likewise, it seems improbable that anyone would risk potential disruption to BES, BBM, etc just to shut down BIS. ?? Chen seems to indicate some dedication to a future of some sort for BES/Good. ??

3G's phase out worries me most.
    11-05-16 10:23 AM
    All good things eventually end. Even our Sun will one day run out of fuel... Lol.

Question is when? My crystal ball is pretty foggy on that. Lol.

Safe to say that virtually no one would expend any meaningful resources in keeping BIS alive. Likewise, it seems improbable that anyone would risk potential disruption to BES, BBM, etc just to shut down BIS. ?? Chen seems to indicate some dedication to a future of some sort for BES/Good. ??

3G's phase out worries me most.

I suppose once 3G is gone, it's all over for BIS, since there were no LTE OS7 devices.

Verizon is scheduled to shut down 2G CDMA at the end of 2019, which will affect 3G EVDO devices, because those devices use 2G for voice. Apparently, Verizon started refarming 3G to LTE in 2014. So the end is coming in a slow but predictable way for a lot of 9930s in the US.

AT&T is ending 2G at the end of this year. T-Mobile is not shutting theirs down yet, but has alrady re-farmed some of the spectrum.

In Canada, Rogers has committed to 2G in Canada until sometime in 2018.

AFAIK, no carrier has commented on phasing out HSPA(+) yet, but they have been re-farming 3G capacity over to LTE, and I would imagine that you could think about it in terms of something like five year windows for each successive technology.

The nice thing is that there are very few people who would want to use a 2G phone at this point.

By the time most telcos shut down 3G, there will hardly be anyone left using it, and 5G will be auto-populating your Augmented Reality as you walk the streets, through the chip you paid the NSA to put in your head. You know, the one you stood in line for at the Apple store ... that iTumor thingy with the Rottencore 3.4 (TM) processor? It's so convenient, and you're never more than a thought away from Snapchat.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 11-05-16 at 12:16 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    11-05-16 11:13 AM
    No you are ALL WRONG, we will be able to use this device FOREVER AND EVER, it is IMMORTAL, FOREVER AND EVER I TELL YOU

Edit: next year the 9901 is coming out and it will have laser nuclear powered batteries and the ability to help you see at night, so THERE!
    anon(8063781) and Frehley like this.
    11-05-16 11:52 AM
    FOREVER AND EVER I TELL YOU
    So sayeth the Ralph. In the name of the Pearl, the Curve, and the Bold. Amen.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-05-16 12:18 PM
    So sayeth the Ralph. In the name of the Pearl, the Curve, and the Bold. Amen.
    Let us blame his name forever and ever.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-05-16 02:17 PM
    For sale: BlackBerry Bold 9930

Guaranteed by Ralph to work forever.

Comes with free plot of Florida swamp land.

But seriously, I am selling it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1090956

11-05-16 02:19 PM
    No you are ALL WRONG, we will be able to use this device FOREVER AND EVER, it is IMMORTAL, FOREVER AND EVER I TELL YOU

Edit: next year the 9901 is coming out and it will have laser nuclear powered batteries and the ability to help you see at night, so THERE!
    I'd settle for enabling Time Travel function in Calendar. Lol.
    11-05-16 03:18 PM

WTS: WTS Several BlackBerry Phones - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Whatchu gonna buy?

Oh, and just cause you're using something else doesn't give you permission to leave this thread.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-05-16 08:18 PM
    Let us blame his name forever and ever.

Amen!
    11-05-16 08:21 PM
    I'd settle for enabling Time Travel function in Calendar. Lol.

But only in agenda view. 'Cause I guarantee you, if I was time travelling, I'd have an agenda!
    11-05-16 08:24 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1090956

Hey so I can't remember what didn't work on yours was it limited to 2G or BIS didn't work? Refresh my memory

Either or one of these, it's a real shame because it's an absolute delight when BIS and H+ are fully functional....
    11-05-16 08:26 PM
    Whatchu gonna buy?

Oh, and just cause you're using something else doesn't give you permission to leave this thread.
    Even if he thinks he can leave, there is no leaving because we will not let him ever BAHAHAHAHAHA
    11-05-16 08:28 PM
    By the way Ian popped into the BBM group, so he has no excuse to not be here also!
    11-05-16 08:30 PM
    Whatchu gonna buy?

Oh, I'll always be a "Moldy Boldie" at heart.

11-05-16 09:33 PM
    Hey so I can't remember what didn't work on yours was it limited to 2G or BIS didn't work? Refresh my memory

Either or one of these, it's a real shame because it's an absolute delight when BIS and H+ are fully functional....
    Everything works great. I had an issue where I couldn't log into my BBID, but it seemed to resolve itself.

11-05-16 09:34 PM
8,754 ... 139140141142143 ...