Then I do not understand your need for a PC. I was able to reinstall an OS on a iPhone using the cloud back up of the phone that was available via connecting to my iPad iTunes. The Apple rep even talked me through the procedure on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    I swore off PC's with Microsoft in 2010. I had a lot of trouble with them, and twice spending $130 to remove viruses from either Limewire or Myspace back in the day. Yes I had Norton, and at various times Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy, remember those? But for me it just wasn't worth it. I also had a beautiful little Nokia C3 that looked exactly like a BLackberry with a full PKB that only lasted 7 months because I had around 800 songs on it and they were Limewire infested with viruses. So at the same time I lost my PC and my Nokia. That was why I went to Apple in 2010 and had good luck with them. I was one of the first in my city to have an ipad first Gen, and no one was writing viruses for Apple at that tine. They were more of a curiosity, a toy, something so new that everyone laughed at them.

But as for connecting an iphone to an ipad with a cable? I have never done that. No need. I use Air Drop if I needed to transfer pics, etc. I had automatic updates turned ON so ios 9 is long gone for me on my icloud. it saves everytime wifi is turned on.....automatically and it would have saved ios 10 because that was the last I was using. To go back to ios 9 from icloud is not possible I thought, IF automatic icloud "Backup" is turned on.

Anyway I do have automatic "Backup" turned ON with the iphone so that means if I do reinstall my icloud file back to the 5C, it will reinstall whatever I had at the time of the last iphone wiping of all the data. (apps and settings, but not OS, I believe) So what I am thinking of doing is I could set it up as a "New Device" (and not initially using the icloud backup that is saved) and immediately do the new ios update to 10.1 and THEN wipe the device clean again, and then re-set up as an "Existing Device" so that after the new 10.1 is installed, I can then reinstall all the apps and email settings I had from before from the cloud.

Hope that is clear or makes sense. Because I think that once you have wiped an iphone clean, you have to set up as an "Existing device" when they ask during the new set up and if you do that you will still be using the old OS that was on it before.

I know, it's complicated.....

The only problem is the iphone wants the sim card installed before I can install the new ios 10.1 and I am leary to do this because it risks messing up my service books again on the 9900. I don't think I am going to be switching back and forth like I have been so often, like every week or two, it can have consequences as I found out.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-31-16 at 11:22 AM.
    10-31-16 10:58 AM
    Observation:

Everytime I reboot the 9900 I am seeing a text message notification saying "Content Protection" turned ON. But when I click the message it is not there. I only started seeing this after having to call Rogers a few days ago to have the Service books properly sent to the device (because doing it myself did not work that time)

As long as I'm getting all my notifs its all good

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-31-16 11:14 AM
    Very easy to connect via the wire and follow the steps on ITunes. At that point you can go forward or backwards. Personally, I would just go back to your old OS if you are planning to migrate in March anyway.

Regardless, good luck.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-31-16 at 02:24 PM.
    10-31-16 02:08 PM
    They tried to subtly brand the DTEK50 the successor to the Z30 (instead of Z50), but it just doesn't work.
    Same with the Priv: I remember reading a CrackBerry article where some BlackBerry dude earnestly argued that everyone should pull their undies out of the wringer because, hey, all you have to do is not use the Priv's keyboard, OK, and it'll be your precious Z50. Sure, fella -- kinda glossed right over the fact it was an Android POS, dincha?

...Even the rumored Mercury device, if it ever makes it to market, will be difficult for me to like... A fingerprint sensor in the space bar? La-dee frickin' da.
    Egg-zactly.

I was at my office in Virginia recently, when one of the new kids on my team rolls in and sees my Passport SE out. Now, I'd just gotten him on BBM and set him up in our BBM Protected work chat group, and he's already communicating in stickers like the rest of us.

What happened next was as predictable as the sunrise: "Is that... a phone? It's a BlackBerry?" I then proceeded to show him the three things I always show people: The Peek, the Pinch, and the capacitive kb. Never fails to get the jaw-dropping, eye-popping, "Oh, WOW!" Even when I add the disclaimer about native social media and other apps commonly available on other platforms, I usually get "Well, yeah; but..."

How much brainpower, my dear BlackBerry executive friends, does it take to put together some ads... just... like... that.
    10-31-16 03:03 PM
    Very easy to connect via the wire and follow the steps on ITunes. At that point you can go forward or backwards. Personally, I would just go back to your old OS if you are planning to migrate in March anyway.

Regardless, good luck.
    Thanks, well I am going to attempt to put all my stuff back onto the 5C now and if the phone explodes then I will go back to the 9900 regardless I want to know if the 10.1 fixed the issue and then I will just keep the 5C for now if it does.

First step will be Set up as a NEW DEVICE to get 10.1 on it.

Step 2 will be wipe it clean again and then set up as an EXISTING DEVICE to get all my old apps on there (45 in total) so this will be an interesting test to see if the 5C can handle it or not.

I HOPE all the songs I bought and the custom ringtones will be put back also because there is no way I'm buying them again!

10-31-16 04:05 PM
    My 9900 has arrived and is working well with my Gmail.

Anyone know a working IRC app?
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-31-16 04:38 PM
    *comment error*
    10-31-16 05:53 PM

Ah good! Sometimes gmail doesn't play nice.

10-31-16 06:02 PM

That is good to hear and enjoy this wonderful legacy device!

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    idssteve likes this.
    10-31-16 06:51 PM
    I want to send a lightly used Bell 9900 to a Canadian address. You can just reimburse me for the mailing costs after you get the phone. CrackBerry Message me if you want a new to you locked in Bell 9900.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 08:30 PM
    I want to send a lightly used Bell 9900 to a Canadian address. You can just reimburse me for the mailing costs after you get the phone. CrackBerry Message me if you want a new to you locked in Bell 9900.

Posted via CB10
    You want to send to who ?
    10-31-16 08:40 PM
    To whom ever wants free 9900 locked into Bell . Just reimbursement for mailing costs is all . First come, first served. CB message to me.
    10-31-16 09:34 PM
    To whom ever wants free 9900 locked into Bell . Just reimbursement for mailing costs is all . First come, first served. CB message to me.
    Don't know how to use CB message.
    However, I did send you a pm.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 10:03 PM
    I want to know if the 10.1 fixed the issue and then I will just keep the 5C for now if it does.
    You just have to wait for iOS 10.3.3. That one's going to fix EVERYTHING
    10-31-16 10:11 PM
    For sure!
    From what I hear though, it will require BIS!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 10:17 PM
    To transfer a 9900 to another owner, I just do a security wipe?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 12:30 AM
    My Bluetooth speaker connectivity is fixed now

If it was android we might be waiting 6 months....oopsie
    11-01-16 01:17 AM
    To transfer a 9900 to another owner, I just do a security wipe?

Posted via CB10
    If you have a passcode set for the screen lock just answer it wrong 10 times deliberately and the whole phone will wipe itself with Purex
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-01-16 01:19 AM
    And guess what, you are right, that's not far from the truth

What I noticed is the new numbers like ios 8, or ios 10, these first new OS's were terrible. But usually by the time 10.1 or .2 come around they pretty much got it running smooth.

What I cannot figure out is all the so called "Beta testers" say "it's working perfectly, it is ready for the public" and when they do release it, people have issues. Why is that?

As far back as I can remember with BB OS6 on the 9780 in 2011, there were MANY updates and I never had a bad one. I DID start experiencing the famous Blackberry "double-typing" issue like many others but the next 0S6 update after that cured it for me. I even went so far as to buy a new Keyboard membrane that I never had to bother using.

11-01-16 06:08 PM
    What I cannot figure out is all the so called "Beta testers" say "it's working perfectly, it is ready for the public" and when they do release it, people have issues. Why is that?
    I think that these are massively complex systems. There are a number of different handsets available and people update from different points. Some update from the last release. Some are a few updates back. Some are an entire version or more back. I'm sure someone out there decided to finally update from iOS 7 to 10.

It would also be very difficult for the beta testers to hit every possible point of failure. People have different combinations of settings enabled/disabled, different carriers, different combinations of apps, etc., etc., etc.

So it's not surprising that it takes a few iterations of a new OS version to get it right. Over the years, I've become a wait and see type of updater. I usually wait to see if OS upgrades go well for others, and if new app versions work how they should for other users before I'll install them. The only exception is when the maker purposefully disables the last version, so you have to update or just go without the app.

My major exception to this rule is Debian Linux. I use the "Stable" version, which is so far behind the cutting edge that you can generally update with no fear. That's because they have an alpha version (Sid, aka "Unstable") and a beta version ("Testing") that all changes trickle through before they make it to "Stable." The process takes years, and "Testing" is actually so stable that many people use it as their everyday system (in fact, Ubuntu is built using Debian Testing). I think that's the way all OSes should work, but I don't get to make that decision.

Old joke: Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning "can't configure Debian."
    11-01-16 08:50 PM
    That's funny I actually ran into a friend today who still has iOS 7 .1 I believe on his iPhone 5C like mine I couldn't believe it.

And good points about various conditions options settings and stuff like that. Yeah absolutely It would likely take years to get anything even near 100% reliability. I guess the problem is technology marches forth and they don't have years nor would they really waste that much time to perfect something. Which is too bad that that's not the world we live in but still I guess everything has to be updated due to attacks and threats out there.

I guess regarding our older blackberries we are left with one of these older and proven OSs with no new updates or development and not too many people complain. Well hopefully not too many. I guess it's a very good thing that the legacy devices software probably spent 10 years in development so it's fairly stable, overall.
    11-01-16 09:35 PM
    That's funny I actually ran into a friend today who still has iOS 7 .1 I believe on his iPhone 5C like mine I couldn't believe it.

And good points about various conditions options settings and stuff like that. Yeah absolutely It would likely take years to get anything even near 100% reliability. I guess the problem is technology marches forth and they don't have years nor would they really waste that much time to perfect something. Which is too bad that that's not the world we live in but still I guess everything has to be updated due to attacks and threats out there.

I guess regarding our older blackberries we are left with one of these older and proven OSs with no new updates or development and not too many people complain. Well hopefully not too many. I guess it's a very good thing that the legacy devices software probably spent 10 years in development so it's fairly stable, overall.

Yep. OS 7.1 seems bulletproof. Come to think of it, whatever version of OS 10.3 my Q10 is on is very stable too. No complaints.
    11-01-16 09:57 PM
    I just realized there's only one way I can charge my iPhone but there are three different ways I can charge the 9900 if one other way fails like a connection or whatever.
    11-02-16 03:17 AM
    Yep. OS 7.1 seems bulletproof. Come to think of it, whatever version of OS 10.3 my Q10 is on is very stable too. No complaints.
    10.3.2.2836 is on my Q10. I think that there may be later versions available but not (on my network) without using unofficial releases - Sachesi etc.
    11-02-16 08:52 AM
    I'm tempted to buy 9900 after going through these many positive posts

However one thing stopping me i.e. browser. Bb7 browsers are very slow when compared to bb10 especially while loading pages with java script. I can't afford that much slowness. Otherwise I love bb7 than bb10 at any day

I think page lading time of bb7 will be 50% slower than bb10. Not sure abt the reason

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 09:03 AM
8,754 ... 136137138139140 ...