SESP9, I guess here is our answer.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Makes sense. Here is an interesting read about HSPA or LTE? http://www.rcrwireless.com/20140509/...-news/hspa-lte

Sent From My Legacy Model  9900
    10-29-16 10:44 PM
    I always think of LTE as true 4G and anything less as "Faux G."
    And you are absolutely right.

10-29-16 10:49 PM
    Makes sense. Here is an interesting read about HSPA or LTE? http://www.rcrwireless.com/20140509/...-news/hspa-lte

Yup, just as long as there are still a lot of those 478 Commercial HSPA Networks still around from 2012, which I am sure there must be, then our future with the 9900 will be ok. (at least to use as a phone)

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-30-16 02:22 AM
    I always think of LTE as true 4G and anything less as "Faux G."
    One thing is for sure, LTE on my 5C was blazing fast until the end! But unfortunately even the size of ios10 took it's toll on the device, to a lesser degree. Wifi was worse.

10-30-16 02:24 AM
    I frequently use an LTE "MiFi" mobile hotspot for laptops & legacy stuff while in the field. No numbers but 99s seem snappier than 3G that way.
    10-30-16 05:32 AM
    Seriously tho, if you guys can actually build your own modified batteries you should branch out and start your own company or something. Of course as the Official "suggestor" of this endevour, I shall assume the role of CEO and my cut will be 75%, fair?

But ya, how many cellular devices actually use a removable and swappable battery nowadays? Prolly not much market for this brilliant idea

Haha... I'd need a "Blame Ralph" Tshirt, at least... Lol.

There's far more to producing truly marketable LiOn batteries than just paralleling multiple cells, like we crudely did. Safeguarding individual cells against under/over charge/discharge can be a headache in itself. Then you must "what if" things like... What happens if one cell shorts and the other five cells feed that fault?? Liability from "Samsung Handwarmer effect" might be best avoided in some remote corner of the planet too difficult to serve litigation summons... Haha!

My guys have also fabbed up various charging packs that utilize swappable batteries by utilizing the BB spare battery charger as a source. Works nicely and can charge our Classics using JM1s or bigger. You'd be amazed at how many JM1s it takes to pull a Classic out of the dirt! Lol. My 5000mAh batt gets worked over in that scenario. Pulling Passports out of the dirt with that contraption is why my guys made those home made 7500mAh 6 cell batts...

Fun times! Most on my crew would pay for the fun... Don't tell management, tho... At least till after contract negotiations... Lol.
    10-30-16 06:06 AM
    Oh! So this is normal then? I'm not a strange hoarder of cell phones?
    Nope!

BlackBerry Z10 (AT&T)
    BlackBerry Z30 (unlocked GSM)
    2 ea BlackBerry Bold 9900 (unlocked) <-- one in use as second phone
    BlackBerry Passport SE <-- daily driver
    iPad Mini

I gave my Samsung Galaxy SII to my daughter-in-law when her phone bricked, and recycled a couple of Palm Treos and a BlackBerry 9720 to a charity thing. I can't remember the model of my first BlackBerry.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-30-16 02:53 PM
    Nope!

BlackBerry Z10 (AT&T)
    BlackBerry Z30 (unlocked GSM)
    2 ea BlackBerry Bold 9900 (unlocked) <-- one in use as second phone
    BlackBerry Passport SE <-- daily driver
    iPad Mini

I gave my Samsung Galaxy SII to my daughter-in-law when her phone bricked, and recycled a couple of Palm Treos and a BlackBerry 9720 to a charity thing. I can't remember the model of my first BlackBerry.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    I'd like a Treo Pro and same of those cool ~2010-vintage Motorola devices (the Backflip, Flipout, Charm, etc), but I'm trying to give up on the old phones. The new ones (other than the Passport and Priv) aren't nearly as interesting though.

Once you have one slab, you've pretty much had them all. I know this is sacrilege around here, but give me a Z10, an iPhone, a Nexus, and a DTEK, and I'd barely notice the difference.
    10-30-16 03:03 PM
    I'd like a Treo Pro and same of those cool ~2010-vintage Motorola devices (the Backflip, Flipout, Charm, etc), but I'm trying to give up on the old phones. The new ones (other than the Passport and Priv) aren't nearly as interesting though.

Once you have one slab, you've pretty much had them all. I know this is sacrilege around here, but give me a Z10, an iPhone, a Nexus, and a DTEK, and I'd barely notice the difference.
    Don't forget a Lumia.

I know exactly how you feel.

I'm back on my Z30 and trying to accept my all-touch fate.

My BB10 days are numbered. And my BlackBerry days are probably numbered, too.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    10-30-16 03:57 PM
    I frequently use an LTE "MiFi" mobile hotspot for laptops & legacy stuff while in the field. No numbers but 99s seem snappier than 3G that way.
    When mine worked, I also liked to do that with the iphone as the hotspot for the ipad, key words....when it worked.

10-30-16 04:25 PM

I think being on this thread, you would be in good company by saying that, they are slabs.

That said, I could go right now to BestBuy and they have the 64GB Iphone SE models ready (new shipment) and something keeps me from going......oh ya.......the 9900

I'm in NO RUSH to run out and grab one. I know the deal will be around at least until March at $0 and so I will squeeze every last drop I can of this Blackberry, and maybe even longer.

10-30-16 04:29 PM
    One thing is for sure, LTE on my 5C was blazing fast until the end! But unfortunately even the size of ios10 took it's toll on the device, to a lesser degree. Wifi was worse.

Ralph, can't you roll back to iOS 9 ?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ios...ios-9-3522302/
    10-30-16 04:33 PM
    Ralph, can't you roll back to iOS 9 ?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ios...ios-9-3522302/
    I don't have a PC and I'm tired of paying $35 everytime something happens with devices. Probably just best to get something newer especially when it comes to Apple because the updates are so massive, your device needs to have a processor able to handle the load.

10-30-16 04:36 PM
    I was considering waiting until March because I thought they might release an iphone SE 2 but from the latest I read on Appy-Geek a few days ago, there might not be an iphone SE offered. Which makes NO SENSE to me since they said it was a huge seller, and the SE sold MORE than the 6S. Supposedly, there will be 3 models of iphone 8 offered, a 4.7 inch, a 5 inch and a 5.5 incher.

But it might be too early to know.

That means I can enjoy this 9900 until February or so because I'm not paying $400 for any iphone that doesn't have a headphone jack. (The iphone 7 is $400 if you sign a 2 year contract with Rogers)

10-30-16 04:39 PM
    The SE is popular as the lowest priced new iPhone. If they can sell a 4.7 inch device as cheap and duplicate some parts then that's probably what they will do. The vast majority of phone users would regard the 4.7 inch model as the new small.

I hope you can keep your old contract terms when you get your new SE.

It is difficult to fix OS screw ups without a PC or Mac. This was certainly true for BlackBerry phones.

The only suggestions the internet gives is:

If the update fails, you may need more space on your device. Delete unused apps, music, and other content to free up the required space. Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage and see what you can get rid of.
    Alternatively, try updating through iTunes after making sure you’re running the latest version of the software. To do so, launch iTunes and connect your iOS device. Afterward, select your device at the top, select Summary in the left-hand pane, and click the Check for Update button.
    If you started the update, but it froze, restart your phone by holding down the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for several seconds.
    If you began the update but an error occurred, find it by going to Settings > General Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. Tap the iOS update, then Delete Update. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to trigger the update again, or try using iTunes.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...#ixzz4ObwuTIPa
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-30-16 at 05:45 PM.
    10-30-16 05:21 PM
    ...Once you have one slab, you've pretty much had them all. I know this is sacrilege around here, but give me a Z10, an iPhone, a Nexus, and a DTEK, and I'd barely notice the difference.
    I'd agree, except the Z10 was my first BlackBerry 10 device -- and the OS blew me away. I really surprised myself buying it, because my year with a Sammy Galaxy SII was an exercise in frustration and teeth-grinding: I went back to a Bold, and figured I just wasn't ever going to be a vkb kinda guy.

The Z10, however, surprised me with the vkb. I was amazed. -- and that wasn't all: The operating system itself was fluid and elegant. I found myself mentally comparing it to using RPN on a scientific calculator: Once you get used to it, going back is -- literally -- intolerable.
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    10-30-16 05:30 PM
    Don't forget a Lumia.

I know exactly how you feel.

I'm back on my Z30 and trying to accept my all-touch fate.

My BB10 days are numbered. And my BlackBerry days are probably numbered, too.

I did forget the Lumia. Same story, bigger icons. I guess that's not fair. The tiles do display information in a way that icons do not. It is a useful concept, and makes your home screen as close to the old Windows Mobile and Palm OS 'today' screens as you can get these days.
    anon(6038817) and David Tyler like this.
    10-30-16 05:37 PM
    ...I'm back on my Z30 and trying to accept my all-touch fate.
    I thought the Z30 was pretty much The Perfect Phone when I bought it; the only thing I didn't like was its very spotty reception of AT&T's LTE network (at the time, the only place I could get LTE was a.) at the Coyotes' arena and b.) at LAX. I remember downloading movies and music from BlackBerry World back then, and the Z30 had a great screen and audio system.

I've often (and pointlessly) mused that the Z30 was a turning point for BlackBerry, and they seemed to fumble that critical play: The Z30 had gotten a LOT of critical acclaim, including winning Wired Magazine's "Smartphone Thunderdome" going away; and BlackBerry had a good deal of cash on hand. The BlackBerry 10 operating system was balancing precariously on the edge of making market inroads, and it seemed like the kind of marketing BlackBerry is doing now for its enterprise software businesses could have positioned this amazing OS for some non-trivial returns on the development investment. There was a lot of rumbling demand for a "Z50" in CrackBerry circles, and it seems such a beast would have been an easy base hit, at minimum. Instead, that bumbling fool whats-his-name drags out the Priv.

Never trust a man who won't put on a freaking necktie for business.
    idssteve and anon(6038817) like this.
    10-30-16 05:44 PM
    I thought the Z30 was pretty much The Perfect Phone when I bought it; the only thing I didn't like was its very spotty reception of AT&T's LTE network (at the time, the only place I could get LTE was a.) at the Coyotes' arena and b.) at LAX. I remember downloading movies and music from BlackBerry World back then, and the Z30 had a great screen and audio system.

I've often (and pointlessly) mused that the Z30 was a turning point for BlackBerry, and they seemed to fumble that critical play: The Z30 had gotten a LOT of critical acclaim, including winning Wired Magazine's "Smartphone Thunderdome" going away; and BlackBerry had a good deal of cash on hand. The BlackBerry 10 operating system was balancing precariously on the edge of making market inroads, and it seemed like the kind of marketing BlackBerry is doing now for its enterprise software businesses could have positioned this amazing OS for some non-trivial returns on the development investment. There was a lot of rumbling demand for a "Z50" in CrackBerry circles, and it seems such a beast would have been an easy base hit, at minimum. Instead, that bumbling fool whats-his-name drags out the Priv.

Never trust a man who won't put on a freaking necktie for business.
    They tried to subtly brand the DTEK50 the successor to the Z30 (instead of Z50), but it just doesn't work. They didn't design the hardware, nor is it their own OS. It's an Alcatel phone with a BlackBerry logo on it, running Google's Android OS with some BlackBerry apps. BlackBerry is trying to put lipstick on a pig and I'm just finding it hard to get excited about any phones they're coming out with now.

Even the rumored Mercury device, if it ever makes it to market, will be difficult for me to like. You can slap a BlackBerry keyboard on an Android phone, but it will never have the tight integration with the OS and apps like BB10 and BBOS. A fingerprint sensor in the space bar? La-dee frickin' da.

I want a BlackBerry designed phone running a BlackBerry designed OS, please. Those are something special. If I have to move on, I'm seriously looking at Windows phone. Heck, even Ubuntu. Or maybe I'll just go back to my 9930 and ride that train to the very end of the line. At least I'll be using a phone from a time when BlackBerry still took pride in their handsets.

mushroom_daddy and sbullet46 like this.
    10-30-16 07:58 PM
    my 5C was my first slab.

I can tell you that I will NOT be updating like I always did on the first few days of any new ios update. They always say on tech sites to update because there is this "huge hack" or "security threat" and that is why I always would! Also insanity are the weekly 100mb Facebook updates that bog an Apple device down so much. I will be more selective and wait a few months to do those if I can. It doesn't seem to matter to many Android users if they don't get or do any updates on the day they roll out. Those people seem to be the happiest (ie anyone that lets the updates slide a bit)

10-30-16 09:39 PM
    jUst rebooted and saw a message about "content protection" ON, and the last time I saw that my BIS wouldn't work for 2 days this week and I had to phone Rogers to have the service books resent. But so far so good, we will see.

EDIT: turned wifi off and the net is working great through tower data. so not sure why I got that message but all is 100%.

10-30-16 10:01 PM
    Looks like iOS 10.1 just came out and I read that it is supposed to stabilize how bloaty iOS 10 was. I just installed it on my iPad Air and it does seem like smoother scrolling on Twitter and swiping on the home pages.

I might try it on the iPhone 5C to see if it solves my issue, but it is a gamble. Maybe it will "settle" the 5C a bit and I can get my money's worth out of that new battery I had installed after all.

Or keep using the 9900........choices......
    10-31-16 04:39 AM
    Really an impressively coordinated balancing act between Apple's hardware, software and marketing. From outside looking in, each software "update" seems to crowd old hardware just enough to prompt migration. Too much and too many will jump platforms. Their marketing messaging seems to keep their loyal users convinced of why such constant turmoil is "progress". Lol. Gotta hand it to them, it keeps handset sales and $$ moving.

Something BB COULD have learned from, rather than just "strand & abandon" in the BBOS-BB10 revolution and again, as if they hadn't learned a phreaking thing, in BB10-Android transition. Apple's approach seems to be more evolution, than revolution. Kill off too much of your gene pool too quickly, too many times, BB style, and extinction becomes too possible.

The ultimate dilemma of "The Innovator's Dilemma"? Haha...
    David Tyler likes this.
    10-31-16 08:31 AM
    Looks like iOS 10.1 just came out and I read that it is supposed to stabilize how bloaty iOS 10 was. I just installed it on my iPad Air and it does seem like smoother scrolling on Twitter and swiping on the home pages.

I might try it on the iPhone 5C to see if it solves my issue, but it is a gamble. Maybe it will "settle" the 5C a bit and I can get my money's worth out of that new battery I had installed after all.

Or keep using the 9900........choices......
    Then I do not understand your need for a PC. I was able to reinstall an OS on a iPhone using the cloud back up of the phone that was available via connecting to my iPad iTunes. The Apple rep even talked me through the procedure on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 08:44 AM
    Really an impressively coordinated balancing act between Apple's hardware, software and marketing. From outside looking in, each software "update" seems to crowd old hardware just enough to prompt migration. Too much and too many will jump platforms. Their marketing messaging seems to keep their loyal users convinced of why such constant turmoil is "progress". Lol. Gotta hand it to them, it keeps handset sales and $$ moving.

Something BB COULD have learned from, rather than just "strand & abandon" in the BBOS-BB10 revolution and again, as if they hadn't learned a phreaking thing, in BB10-Android transition. Apple's approach seems to be more evolution, than revolution. Kill off too much of your gene pool too quickly, too many times, BB style, and extinction becomes too possible.

The ultimate dilemma of "The Innovator's Dilemma"? Haha...
    Interesting observation

I just wish Apple would "get it right" the first time everytime they have a new OS update to a fresh number, ie ios8 was a disaster because we had to have something like 6-8 FREE GB's to install it!!! I remember deleting 90% of my apps just to get it on my 5C and then adding them all back later. (ios 8 compressed the space later and then we were able to reinstall the apps we had)

Then ios 9 was pretty good, it was more of the "stabalizer" update for ios 8.

And now it begins again. Ios 10 was so bad on my devices that I WAS DESPERATE to install ANY NEW update they had in the hopes it would improve what happened to the iphone and the 3 crashes per day on the ipad Air!!!!

I think if you are implying that might be part of their strategy, then I think you also might be correct

10-31-16 10:43 AM
8,754 ... 135136137138139 ...