Is the Samsung TG401G the T-mobile Sidekick 4G?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No, the one I have is not a smartphone.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-24-16 10:24 PM
    ok so I have the BEST NEWS EVA and no I didn't become Lord of the universe.....yet.

I tried for 2 hours installing older versions of BBM to get that BBID log in screen again and had NO LUCK.

I called Rogers and got the most amazing girl in Toronto who remembers working on these old Legacy Blackberries because she said they were "all I worked on when I started 5 years ago." She remembered how to send the "Service Books" and she even knew about the Host Routing Table section under settings to Register. She thought there was a way to delete the routing tables (I assume they could then be re-added or something) but I did not see a way to do it. Anyway I rebooted one more time and my BBM page started saying "BBM being Restored" and I didn't even have to log in this time!!!!

Tested internet off wifi, check, tested email, check, it all works!!!!!

One sad thing though is that Whatsapp is pretty much dead now and I was not able to enter my number anymore and set it up, but we KNEW this was coming and nothing we can do about this. But I am just glad to have email, net and BBM back.

I told her about checking this thread out at Rogers so if you are looking, thanks a ton, Rogers is pretty cool

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Berry Happy 2 likes this.
    10-24-16 11:28 PM
    Oh and she said the last time anyone asked to have Service Books sent to their Blackberry was about a year ago, so which one of you was that

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-24-16 11:35 PM
    Man I just hope CB notifs will work again, because I rely on notifs for basically everything.

EDIT: Resent Service Books on each email myself just now and all the notifs just started pouring it.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-24-16 at 11:55 PM.
    10-24-16 11:43 PM
    From the Rogers website:

1. Select Options from the home screen.
    2. Select Device.
    3. Select Advanced System Settings.
    4. Select Host Routing Table.
    5. Press the BlackBerry Menu key.
    6. Select Register Now.
    7. A message will prompt with Registration message sent!, click OK.
    And thanks for this suggestion BTW, it did have to be done

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-24-16 11:57 PM
    And you Shus? How many??
    Too many. Most of them are antiques at this point:

• Nokia 6600 Fold
    • HTC Tilt2
    • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220
    • BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    • BlackBerry Pearl 9100
    • BlackBerry Bold 9900
    • BlackBerry Q10
    • HP Pre3*
    • Nokia Lumia 520
    • LG Nexus 4
    • LG G2

*daily driver.

I'm thinking about switching to the Q10 for daily use because the Pre3 keeps switching to cellular data when it should be on WiFi. The WiFi reception is a little on the weak side.
    10-25-16 12:14 AM
    Right now? Just mobile phones?
    I see what you did there.
    10-25-16 12:19 AM
    Too many. Most of them are antiques at this point:

• Nokia 6600 Fold
    • HTC Tilt2
    • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220
    • BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    • BlackBerry Pearl 9100
    • BlackBerry Bold 9900
    • BlackBerry Q10
    • HP Pre3*
    • Nokia Lumia 520
    • LG Nexus 4
    • LG G2

*daily driver.

I'm thinking about switching to the Q10 for daily use because the Pre3 keeps switching to cellular data when it should be on WiFi. The WiFi reception is a little on the weak side.
    Whoa!

BTW when I was searching tonite for solutions to my BBID issue I came across an interesting read about the Q10 and some known issues with it. I will see if I can find it (but I doubt it now) and ONE of the issues was "Overheating"

10-25-16 12:22 AM

Found that article, here it is.....from 2013, sort of interesting.....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-q10-problems/

10-25-16 12:26 AM
    I posted that I got my Bold back online yesterday...Well... It's not going so well. For about 4 times I got the media card is not inserted properly and then when I put it back again it said it needed to be repaired, also 4 times. The os lags horribly and the music player sees only one quarter of 2000 songs. I'll post the os version later, because I have to start work, but what is your preferred os version? I updated with the Desktop Manager when the screen was broken and now I regret it. I put my 9780 back as a second phone until I sort the 9900.

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    10-25-16 01:54 AM
    I posted that I got my Bold back online yesterday...Well... It's not going so well. For about 4 times I got the media card is not inserted properly and then when I put it back again it said it needed to be repaired, also 4 times. The os lags horribly and the music player sees only one quarter of 2000 songs. I'll post the os version later, because I have to start work, but what is your preferred os version? I updated with the Desktop Manager when the screen was broken and now I regret it. I put my 9780 back as a second phone until I sort the 9900.

When you repair a media card does that wipe out any of the songs? I know that formatting it wipes them all out.

What OS is yours on?? I am on an early version that no one else would want but it is super fast on H+ and good wifi with about 7 mbps. The 9900 is capable of speeds above 15mbps on H+ as far as I know so how is your speeds on Data compared to wifi? Have you tried both??

I have never had a "media card incerted improperly" before, I didn't know that was possible.

10-25-16 02:02 AM
    Just an FYI: After the Rogers girl resent the Service Books I KNEW after the reboot that I had BIS active again when I pressed and help the dotted BB button and I had the "Enterprize Activation" folder again.

Strange that I do not use Enterprize, and I never had this folder ever showing on the 9780 or my 9790 but it seems to be a part of the 9900's "open apps running" whether I like it or not.

10-25-16 02:06 AM
    I'm too lazy to quote so I'll write a reply here.
    I'm currently on 7.1.0.862. I don't know what version I had before I updated but that gave me super rarely the hourglass, even under heavy load, while this one lags and freezes, for reasons unknown. I have no third party apps installed, nothing on the phone memory and just my 32gb card.
    The card errors... I made sure it was properly inserted because what the hell, one should be able to at least do that, but my guess is the software is problematic here. With the old version, I got several times the "card needs repair " message, but after the repair process was done, it worked perfectly.

I'm open to suggestions and I don't mind wiping the phone (since I have nothing on it).

10-25-16 06:56 AM
    I'm too lazy to quote so I'll write a reply here.
    I'm currently on 7.1.0.862. I don't know what version I had before I updated but that gave me super rarely the hourglass, even under heavy load, while this one lags and freezes, for reasons unknown. I have no third party apps installed, nothing on the phone memory and just my 32gb card.
    The card errors... I made sure it was properly inserted because what the hell, one should be able to at least do that, but my guess is the software is problematic here. With the old version, I got several times the "card needs repair " message, but after the repair process was done, it worked perfectly.

I'm open to suggestions and I don't mind wiping the phone (since I have nothing on it).

Hmm, I don't even recall 862 but that might be for the best. Lol. Early 7.1 wasn't RIM's proudest moment, imo. Succeeding OS versions seemed to take a step backward for each step forward during that period. Ralph seems quite happy with his early version and I generally concur with NOT "fixing it till it's broke". As you've likely found, newer versions aren't necessarily better. But newest is truly best, for 99s on 7.1. RIM's departing BBOS devs seemed to devote their best love into those final versions, late 2013. See the stickies. This 9930 has 1066 and my 9900 has 1047, as I recall. Couldn't be more pleased with those versions, on all counts. Batt life, signal, memory management, reliability, etc, etc...

If you're unhappy with your version, I'd heartily recommend the newest version. For a 99, at least.

I've had sd cards go bad. It happens. Have you tried a new card? My sd's backed up on laptop. Haven't inventoried my musical library but never hear the same song twice in drives from Seattle to NY to San Diego and back... Lol. So I know you'd hate to lose your library. I, personally, would back up sd, let the new OS attempt repair, and if that fails, try a new one.

A coworker had a 99's sd reader fail. It can happen on anything. Except iPhone. Never heard of sd reader failure on iPhone... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-25-16 at 09:12 AM.
    10-25-16 08:58 AM
    Hmm, I don't even recall 862 but that might be for the best. Lol. Early 7.1 wasn't RIM's proudest moment, imo. Succeeding OS versions seemed to take a step backward for each step forward during that period. Ralph seems quite happy with his early version and I generally concur with NOT "fixing it till it's broke". As you've likely found, newer versions aren't necessarily better. But newest is truly best, for 99s on 7.1. RIM's departing BBOS devs seemed to devote their best love into those final versions, late 2013. See the stickies. This 9930 has 1066 and my 9900 has 1047, as I recall. Couldn't be more pleased with those versions, on all counts. Batt life, signal, memory management, reliability, etc, etc...

If you're unhappy with your version, I'd heartily recommend the newest version. For a 99, at least.

I've had sd cards go bad. It happens. Have you tried a new card? My sd's backed up on laptop. Haven't inventoried my musical library but never hear the same song twice in drives from Seattle to NY to San Diego and back... Lol. So I know you'd hate to lose your library. I, personally, would back up sd, let the new OS attempt repair, and if that fails, try a new one. A coworker had a 99's sd reader fail. It can happen.
    Thanks a lot for the answer. I'm going out for a few hours and I'll try the os versions you mentioned (or at least one of them) and I'll report back.

10-25-16 09:11 AM
    Thanks a lot for the answer. I'm going out for a few hours and I'll try the os versions you mentioned (or at least one of them) and I'll report back.

Just check the stickies at the top of the 9900 forum. If yours is not 9930, don't use 1066 but 1047 is good in my 9900. 1098 is reportedly good also but my 1047 isn't broken so... Lol.
    10-25-16 09:16 AM

7.1.0.1098 has quite a following around here. It's fast, battery life is good, and the phone does not heat up.

I've had those SD card errors before too. Sometimes Windows is better at repairing them than your phone.

I believe they may be related in some cases to not properly unmounting the drive after it's been connected to your computer. In windows, unmounting involves making sure you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function. It's in the taskbar tray on Windows 7 and earlier versions. It's very hard to find in Windows 10 (somewhere in settings?). In Linux you need to 'umount' the drive from the file system (or in some file managers, press "eject").
    idssteve likes this.
    10-25-16 10:17 AM
    Yup I'm on 7.1.0.391 and it's perfect. Hardly ever see the hourglass and yes I have Hotspot capabilities (although it does me no good with an ipad I cannot connect it to)

I should also mention that when I had a 9790 for 4/5 months in 2013 right before I bought my iphone, it refused to work with a Sandisc Micro SD card. It would constantly jam and cause issues. Then I bought the 8GB "Verbatim" and it worked better. (I still have it in this Storm Trooper 9900) But I should also note that for some reason that 9790 did not like the newest version of 7.1. My PC was long done by 2010 so I had to go at least 3 times to my repair shop for device "Freeze" and I really should have had them put an earlier version of 7.1 on that device and I probably still might be using it today! The 9790 was a great device physically, the right size, great keyboard, just a slightly slower processor at 1Ghz and our 9900's are 1.2.

Blackerthanblack likes this.
    10-25-16 10:31 AM
    7.1.0.1098 has quite a following around here. It's fast, battery life is good, and the phone does not heat up.
    That's the one to go for (IMHO). In terms of stability, responsiveness etc. the installation of v1098 transformed my 9900.
    10-25-16 10:32 AM
    If I had to install OS on my 9900, I'd certainly try 1098. Too many good reports on it.
    10-25-16 11:44 AM
    Oh, man... I'm in the middle of the process loading 1066 :| well, let's hope for the best. After it's done, I'm going to have to repair my card via windows, cause neither the Passport nor the 9780 see it anymore. If not, format power

Ok, what the hell am I doing. The Desktop Manager isn't seeing the 1066 version and is stubbornly showing me only the 856 one. There is no other os7 version installed.
    I tried to do a restart of the computer, but the app loader doesn't give me the option of installing the full software, just wireless music sync? I deleted the .xml file and it's the same

10-25-16 12:12 PM
    I'm downloading 1098 now and deleting everything on my laptop.

Edit: I found a hidden Vendor.xml somewhere after I performed a search, in a different folder from the app loader one. Strange. I found this also on cb so... it's loading the os now.

Last edited by Blackerthanblack; 10-25-16 at 12:47 PM.
    10-25-16 12:22 PM
    Careful... 1066 is for 9930. 1098 is for 9900. Which is yours?
    10-25-16 01:03 PM
    Careful... 1066 is for 9930. 1098 is for 9900. Which is yours?
    9900. I loaded 1098 and I formatted the sd card, I'm copying the music back right now. You mentioned the 9930, but what would the difference have been? The 30 also has CDMA capabilities, but aren't the phones identical in terms of hardware? Would the software have been detrimental to my device's "health"? Aka would I have bricked it? I saw that it was a Verizon release before I downloaded it but didn't think that would make too much of a difference. Or would it?

10-25-16 01:53 PM
    Well, the 30 is a different beast but it sounds like the PC software kept you from loading the wrong OS so all's good! Let us kno how it goes!
    10-25-16 02:01 PM
8,754 ... 130131132133134 ...