Man I can't believe I haven't burned the house down with that thing yet. At least it's not made by Samsung
    No need to joke about Samsung. Their latest phone is da bomb. It blew me away when I first saw it.

10-14-16 05:26 PM
    No need to joke about Samsung. Their latest phone is da bomb. It blew me away when I first saw it.

I guess you could say it was a smokin' phone. A really hot item.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    sweeperdk likes this.
    10-14-16 05:30 PM
    Does this look safe? 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1476484429.707179.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1476484443.690961.jpg
    10-14-16 05:34 PM
    Well you know winters do get quite cold here in Canada it would make a nice fire starter for the fireplace if you run out of lighter fluid, oops my bad
    sweeperdk likes this.
    10-14-16 05:34 PM
    Does this look safe? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476484429.707179.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	410055

Those adjustable contacts look like a recipe for disaster!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-14-16 06:57 PM
    So I wanted to be clear about something, so I looked it up.....

What's the Difference Between GSM and CDMA Cell Phones? | eBay

Now a friend of mine had given to him a 9300 with NO SIM card a few years ago before we both got 5C's. I was going to help him set it up so I met him and we proceeded to take it appart to incert his sim and there was none. Now what type of network would that 9300 have been on, and HOW does that type of Blackberry work, ie. How does the network keep track of the data, etc?

This might seem elementary to most, but I just want to be clear on it.

All 9900/9930's have sim card slots.....right?
    10-14-16 07:44 PM
    Double post. The second one is better.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-14-16 at 08:29 PM.
    10-14-16 08:17 PM
    Now a friend of mine had given to him a 9300 with NO SIM card a few years ago before we both got 5C's. I was going to help him set it up so I met him and we proceeded to take it appart to incert his sim and there was none. Now what type of network would that 9300 have been on, and HOW does that type of Blackberry work, ie. How does the network keep track of the data, etc?
    Regarding network, it might have been on Telus or Bell. They used to be CDMA-only networks, like Verizon and Sprint in the US. GSM is the more widely used international standard, and the iPhone was originally GSM-only, so Telus and Bell moved to the 3G successor of GSM (UMTS/HSPA+) in 2009, so that they would have access to a wider range of phones, like Rogers, which was always GSM.

It might also have been on SaskTel. SaskTel made the same shift from CDMA to UMTS/HSPA+ in 2010. The old CDMA networks still work, but not for long.

The CDMA phones have an ESN (Electronic Serial Number) built into the phone to identify it to the network. It can't be changed like a SIM card. You have to call in and activate the phone on your account usually.

This might seem elementary to most, but I just want to be clear on it.

All 9900/9930's have sim card slots.....right?
    AFAIK, yes. The 9930s are CDMA handsets, but also have a SIM card slot so that users can use GSM (2G) networks in other parts of the world.

One more thing to note: since Telus, Bell, and SaskTel went from CDMA to UMTS/HSPA+ (3G), they do not have, and never have had GSM (2G). So if you have an old, unlocked SIM-card based GSM (2G) phone, it will work on Rogers or Fido, but not Telus, Bell, or SaskTel.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-14-16 08:26 PM
    hmm details that most people never concern themselves with and I bet are oblivious to when they purchase a new or used device.

Yes I think it was Telus, because he is still on Telus and the 9300 was given to him so we assumed it would be compatable.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-15-16 11:17 AM
    In 2 weeks the 9900 has only used 52mb's of data.

If I was using the iphone I would have easily gone through 2 GB's of data by NOW!

This thing is such a miser that I feel like putting the sim card back into the iphone just to get my $'s worth and use more of what I am paying for!!

But I can't bring myself to do it. That "clickity clack" man, the clickity clack.....addicted.
    10-15-16 11:25 AM
    Sorry to butt in... if I remember correctly, you're Danish, right?

If so, do you know of any possible solution for getting BIS in DK?

I really love this little thing, but without BIS, it's just if no use when not on wifi, since at least FB Messenger is a must for me. The recommendations earlier in this thread haven't helped me getting it to work on data, I'm afraid.
    No problem, that's why it's a forum And it's always nice to see someone with a BB To be honest, I never cared abut BIS because the Passport is my main phone and until recently, I used the 9900 strictly as a secondary phone, only as a music player and for calling/texting. Rarely, I would use the browser, but that was about it. I know that in 2013 Telia had some business plans for BB, but since I went with BB10, I didn't need them so I just stoped caring. I can't give you an answer to that, only if you ask in person or call/mail some carriers, but for some time, I have not seen a single BlackBerry in Odense so I wouldn't bet they would bother with BIS anymore since Android and iOS prevail. But, as I said, you could ask the carriers directly, even if it kind of sucks to go through that process.
    10-15-16 12:28 PM
    Well if the connections are tight and plugged in, then you are probably right, it is some other cause. Maybe you are correct about the burned out LCD screen. For around $20 dollars I have seen new screens on ebay and amazon. (Canadian of course) so at least this is a device that can get parts relatively cheaply if need be.
    I found screens at about 9 to 12 Pounds on ebay UK so I'll just order one from there. I was thinking about getting another phone entirely (namely either a 9900 or a Torch 9810 or a Q10) but it's unbelievable how little they have depreciated! I'm quite amazed how expensive they still are after all this time.

[Well, not that terribly expensive, but paying 50-70 euros for a 5-6 year old hardware (excluding the Q10) is something that I'd rather not do. Not that I can't, but because I don't think it's worth it. Or I might be just cheap )) but I'd pay if I would consider that the value for money is where it should be. Or, again, I might be cheap] )

I ordered a screen. Let's hope it will fix the issue. And another thing...BDM was able to reload the software on one device, which booted, but I still had a black screen, so I guess that is the culprit. I tried it with the other, but the Desktop Manager was unable to complete the connection to the device. I will post an update when the screen arrives.
    Last edited by Blackerthanblack; 10-15-16 at 02:10 PM.
    10-15-16 12:32 PM
    I found screens at about 9 to 12 Pounds on ebay UK so I'll just order one from there. I was thinking about getting another phone entirely (namely either a 9900 or a Torch 9810 or a Q10) but it's unbelievable how little they have depreciated! I'm quite amazed how expensive they still are after all this time.

[Well, not that terribly expensive, but paying 50-70 euros for a 5-6 year old hardware (excluding the Q10) is something that I'd rather not do. Not that I can't, but because I don't think it's worth it. Or I might be just cheap )) but I'd pay if I would consider that the value for money is where it should be. Or, again, I might be cheap] )

I ordered a screen. Let's hope it will fix the issue. And another thing...BDM was able to reload the software on one device, which booted, but I still had a black screen, so I guess that is the culprit. I tried it with the other, but the Desktop Manager was unable to complete the connection to the device. I will post an update when the screen arrives.
    The thing about the price on 9900's not going down too much, is likely the "novelty" of using such a rare device now. I call it "rare" because lets be honest, how often do we see these things in public anymore. It's not like they are being stocked anymore. They have become a special enthusiasts or collector's niche. of course there are still supposedly MORE BB0S devices in use than all other Blackberries combined but even Blackberry users total in the world are rare indeed.

I think this is why prices are staying relatively high, minus the occasional "great deal" we might be lucky to find in an electronics store or the local classifieds.

I sure hope that new screen works out because I would like to hear how other aspects of the device are functioning, etc!!
    10-15-16 10:41 PM
    Can you just imagine everyone complaining about the small screen size? Haha, I'll say this, for those of us that appreciate this device and dig using it, the screen size isn't an issue, its a bonus.. Being able to slip it into a shirt pockey or fromt pocket of jeans and not realize it is not even there is a great big fat BONUS IMO.
    Haha, who needs touch GUI when you have a fully functioning trackpad-toolbelt? Since us 99 users are virtually never forced to obscure screen space with thumbs, supersized screens are an abhorrent waste of hand space, imo. Lol.

Let alone the waste of pocket space. Lol.

I simply hold my smaller display closer (sorta "build smaller fire, sit closer" lol) and/or utilize "I" shortcut for quick zoom in. "Pinch zoom" provides intuitively short learning curve for noobs. Shortcut "I" & "O" zoom provides rewarding efficiency for power users. Imo. All power users were once noobs. Some noobs ultimately become power users. Jobs obviously positioned iPhone where the sales numbers were going, at the time. BB was already positioned to embrace power user niche as Apple's userbase inevitably starts seeking to optimize daily efficiency. Are they still?

Deserved, or not, Apple has enjoyed a reputation for noob friendly products since the Mac mouse. Children in countless grade schools were indoctrinated to Apple in classrooms. Ingenious strategy, imo. Even more ingenious was combining that indoctrination with finger painting skills into touch-glass GUI. Can't argue with Apple's numbers of sales success but I, for one, grew out of finger painting in grade K. I'll do my painting with a finely pointed brush, thank you. aka trackpad.

Edit: some here in the breakroom fear my use of "noob" might be interpreted as derogatory. Didn't really mean it that way. Just a description of natural evolutionary progression. Some progress finds full circle, sometimes.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-16-16 at 09:22 AM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-16-16 07:32 AM
    Oh, I didn't mean that comment to sound insulting, if it did. I liked Windows 3.1. Given that I'm in this forum, I may be giving away more about myself than I'd like to, but I used Windows 3.1 as my daily driver until 2003. It did everything that I needed to do.

Given that all my work is done in Word and Excel, and no useful features have been added to those programs since the 90s, I could still do everything I need to do on Windows 3.1, except get email and print.
    Lol, I STILL use an old 3.1 machine to maintain & mod legacy equipment that a few clients stubbornly cling to. The software packages were published on DOS5.0 and OEMs vanished before usb or even Win95 were a faint glimmer in Bill Gates' eye.... Lol.

We have two old Data World laptops running DOS6.22 which, of course, Win3.1 is built on. All 16bit. We've overclocked their 20MHz 80386 to 40MHz & added a 80387 math co-processor. RAM is 640k, extended to 1024K. Expanded to a wapping 8Mb!! Try finding & setting up a 128MB IDE HD these days. Lol. Those two laptops are stored in an environmentally controlled room but we seem to change out electrolytic caps fairly regularly and NO internet connection permitted. Obviously no usb drives, lol. Only 3.5" floppies that were written by that machine itself are ever inserted. Complete backups are made onto a stack of fresh floppies every time the machines are booted... Just in case... Lol. All just to support a high margin legacy niche that keeps my company's "foot in the door" leading to even more profitable niche services.

Crazy far off topic but it does illustrate that legacy niche CAN be profitable... Imo.
    10-16-16 10:53 AM
    Haha, who needs touch GUI when you have a fully functioning trackpad-toolbelt? Since us 99 users are virtually never forced to obscure screen space with thumbs, supersized screens are an abhorrent waste of hand space, imo. Lol.

Let alone the waste of pocket space. Lol.

I simply hold my smaller display closer (sorta "build smaller fire, sit closer" lol) and/or utilize "I" shortcut for quick zoom in. "Pinch zoom" provides intuitively short learning curve for noobs. Shortcut "I" & "O" zoom provides rewarding efficiency for power users. Imo. All power users were once noobs. Some noobs ultimately become power users. Jobs obviously positioned iPhone where the sales numbers were going, at the time. BB was already positioned to embrace power user niche as Apple's userbase inevitably starts seeking to optimize daily efficiency. Are they still?

Deserved, or not, Apple has enjoyed a reputation for noob friendly products since the Mac mouse. Children in countless grade schools were indoctrinated to Apple in classrooms. Ingenious strategy, imo. Even more ingenious was combining that indoctrination with finger painting skills into touch-glass GUI. Can't argue with Apple's numbers of sales success but I, for one, grew out of finger painting in grade K. I'll do my painting with a finely pointed brush, thank you. aka trackpad.

Edit: some here in the breakroom fear my use of "noob" might be interpreted as derogatory. Didn't really mean it that way. Just a description of natural evolutionary progression. Some progress finds full circle, sometimes.
    And that's just it! The trackpad is pure innovation, it means that a device does not have to have a massive screen. Also I would add that I don't much like touching any glass if possible, but on an iphone we have to. Imagine how much we save on glasses lens cleaner The idea of having to cover most of a screen to use it does seem obtrusive when you think about it.

I do consider myself something of a "power user" but can one say this without using many shortcuts? I have got so fast and efficient with simply using the back button and the Trackpad that I don't think of using shortcuts most times. For what I do, I don't think I even need to be proficient with shortcuts. I guess this is something I am saving to fully use/learn in a couple years so that I don't risk getting "bored" with this device

As for finger painting and photoshopping lets just say that I had quite a time learning on Microsoft, not an easy task as a noob years ago. I have to say that Apple really made it simple to use and even just on an ipad, so much can be accomplished regarding photo editing, etc.

When I have to explain how to do specific tasks to older people I know or family members, I am grateful for the "simplicity" of ios, in general.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-16-16 04:55 PM
    Hey! My signature stopped working!
    10-16-16 04:56 PM
    Can you just imagine everyone complaining about the small screen size? Haha, I'll say this, for those of us that appreciate this device and dig using it, the screen size isn't an issue, its a bonus.. Being able to slip it into a shirt pockey or fromt pocket of jeans and not realize it is not even there is a great big fat BONUS IMO.
    Yeah this is the problem with the new generation they can't handle a smaller screen because they probably never had a screen smaller than 4inches. I don't find a problem with the size of the Q10 screen, if it had an added tool belt and ran maybe OS7.2 or 7.5 that had updated features to view emojis and use android apk's but still ran the classic OS7 which optimized the text on the screen then the "small" screen size wouldn't matter really. I really thank blackberry should do this, I know they won't though haha.
    10-16-16 05:02 PM
    And that's just it! The trackpad is pure innovation, it means that a device does not have to have a massive screen. Also I would add that I don't much like touching any glass if possible, but on an iphone we have to. Imagine how much we save on glasses lens cleaner The idea of having to cover most of a screen to use it does seem obtrusive when you think about it.

I do consider myself something of a "power user" but can one say this without using many shortcuts? I have got so fast and efficient with simply using the back button and the Trackpad that I don't think of using shortcuts most times. For what I do, I don't think I even need to be proficient with shortcuts. I guess this is something I am saving to fully use/learn in a couple years so that I don't risk getting "bored" with this device

As for finger painting and photoshopping lets just say that I had quite a time learning on Microsoft, not an easy task as a noob years ago. I have to say that Apple really made it simple to use and even just on an ipad, so much can be accomplished regarding photo editing, etc.

When I have to explain how to do specific tasks to older people I know or family members, I am grateful for the "simplicity" of ios, in general.
    I'd consider you, and most posting here, to be "power users"... However we define that. You've certainly reached the point where you feel constrained by "entry level" or "consumer grade" tools.

Compared with Apple, BB entered the market from an entirely opposite "pro grade" perspective. "Professionals" can rationalize effort invested in a steeper learning curve by virtue of return on efficiency, long run. A return that might not ever rationalize for some consumers. Other consumers, however, will inevitably feel dissatisfied and start seeking better, more efficient, ways. Human nature.

Too steep of learning curve is counterproductive BUT sometimes the steeper road leads to higher places... Lol.
    10-16-16 06:33 PM
    Yeah this is the problem with the new generation they can't handle a smaller screen because they probably never had a screen smaller than 4inches. I don't find a problem with the size of the Q10 screen, if it had an added tool belt and ran maybe OS7.2 or 7.5 that had updated features to view emojis and use android apk's but still ran the classic OS7 which optimized the text on the screen then the "small" screen size wouldn't matter really. I really thank blackberry should do this, I know they won't though haha.
    Can I wish for a 9900 type device with Apple ios haha because THAT is what I would buy in a heartbeat!

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-16-16 06:41 PM
    Made a new vid comparing 9900 vs Iphone. General Speed and Function on the Crackberry app, load times, etc.

In case you are too lazy to subscribe to the 9900 forum, you might miss it, so here it is

10-16-16 06:45 PM
    Made a new vid comparing 9900 vs Iphone. General Speed and Function on the Crackberry app, load times, etc.

In case you are too lazy to subscribe to the 9900 forum, you might miss it, so here it is

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-rim

I think your link might not be correct
    10-16-16 06:52 PM
    Hmm, edited

10-16-16 06:56 PM
    You should see it like this now because I sure do.....9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1476681042.685903.jpg
    10-17-16 12:10 AM
    You should see it like this now because I sure do.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476681042.685903.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	410144
    I just see the link in this app, but it works now, which is the main point!

Sent from mTalk
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-17-16 09:37 AM
8,754 ... 125126127128129 ...