'simple' or 'just works' wasn't that always the Apple philosophy?
    Most likely. I seem to recall Cook or Jobs saying something like this. I don't mind simplified but "simple" doesn't seem to go together with a device considered as Professional as a Blackberry.

I wonder if Blackberry is considered the most complicated or feature loaded OS? For purely "setting up" a device. But I have no idea how BBOS compares to BB10 or any Android Blackberry.

A lot to set up on these!
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-12-16 at 03:43 AM.
    10-12-16 03:24 AM
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/one-rea...2016-security/

Interesting article from June about Blackberry security, some history and vids also. 9900 shown.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-12-16 03:40 AM
    Nothing lasts forever... but hey the beauty that is the 'BOLD 9900' will always be remembered.. but i just wish Blackberry would RE-RELEASE it with either BB10 or android and a better specification.

Just look at it ffs

TAKE A LOOK !

My Bold9900 (no BIS plan tho scrapped it) but still use it for calls n text, and some emails via wifi with some dodgy apps lol... (strange that it says no sim..) the sim is there lol.. must be a signal issue.

Blackberry really need to consider remaking this EXACTLY like this.... not the classic style and slap BB10 or Android on it.
    10-12-16 06:28 AM
    Nothing lasts forever... but hey the beauty that is the 'BOLD 9900' will always be remembered.. but i just wish Blackberry would RE-RELEASE it with either BB10 or android and a better specification.

Just look at it ffs

TAKE A LOOK !

https://i.imgsafe.org/e1e027d13a.jpg

My Bold9900 (no BIS plan tho scrapped it) but still use it for calls n text, and some emails via wifi with some dodgy apps lol... (strange that it says no sim..) the sim is there lol.. must be a signal issue.

Blackberry really need to consider remaking this EXACTLY like this.... not the classic style and slap BB10 or Android on it.
    Yes I agree that they need to re-release this device with a little updated specs and keep the exact same design, maybe make it a little thicker so the battery lasts longer or I'm sure by now they can make a same sized battery with higher mah. The Classic is clunky and not integrated well with BB10, with the Q10 screen there's the on screen buttons that never go away which make the screen really the same size as the 9900 but it's harder to use the Q10. I use my 9900 for emails and the social media apps that it is able to use, I use my iphone only for social media apps and for less typing, it's a huge chore and I can't wait to replace the iphone with the Priv, even if the physical keyboard is the same as the on screen iPhone 6 keyboard it will be different because if your finger hits off a physical key it doesn't press it unlike on an onscreen keyboard which drives me insane every single day haha.
    10-12-16 06:36 AM
    Well, since I don't have BIS on Koodo
    Seems odd that Koodoo doesn't have BIS. Fido does. Virgin does.

Anyone see Ursus around lately? He seems to have disappeared. Maybe his life got busy.
    Exactly. Very astute of you. Crazy busy lately. Got a brand new in box Curve cheap, was going to try it for work, but haven't really had a chance to fool around with it yet.

I hear the keyboards for my Bold are a good price now? Still have to get a spare battery or two also.
    10-12-16 06:36 AM
    Seems odd that Koodoo doesn't have BIS. Fido does. Virgin does.
    I think Koodo postpaid might have BIS. But Prepaid does not. For me, the prepaid is an insanely good deal. I text most of the time, talk less than an hour a month, and use a bit of data (about 60 MB / mo), mostly for keeping my email connected. But almost everywhere I go I'm on WiFi.

The prepaid works out to $13.50 / mo for unlimited texts and multimedia messages, 5 cents a minute nationwide for calling, and $30/GB, and the data never expires. I don't know what my bill is per month, but it averages between $15-20. I'm not switching, even for BIS. That's what led to the guide.

Exactly. Very astute of you. Crazy busy lately. Got a brand new in box Curve cheap, was going to try it for work, but haven't really had a chance to fool around with it yet.

I hear the keyboards for my Bold are a good price now? Still have to get a spare battery or two also.
    I think purebrindle's onto us. The black keyboards are $24.95. If I ever get my Bold running again, I'm going to try one of those $5 keyboards from China. I'm willing to be the guinea pig. I suspect that they're all OEM, from BlackBerry's suppliers. It's doubtful that anyone could have retooled a factory to make knockoff 9900 keyboards at a profit.
    10-12-16 11:31 AM
    I think Koodo postpaid might have BIS. But Prepaid does not. For me, the prepaid is an insanely good deal. I text most of the time, talk less than an hour a month, and use a bit of data (about 60 MB / mo), mostly for keeping my email connected. But almost everywhere I go I'm on WiFi.

The prepaid works out to $13.50 / mo for unlimited texts and multimedia messages, 5 cents a minute nationwide for calling, and $30/GB, and the data never expires. I don't know what my bill is per month, but it averages between $15-20. I'm not switching, even for BIS. That's what led to the guide.

I think purebrindle's onto us. The black keyboards are $24.95. If I ever get my Bold running again, I'm going to try one of those $5 keyboards from China. I'm willing to be the guinea pig. I suspect that they're all OEM, from BlackBerry's suppliers. It's doubtful that anyone could have retooled a factory to make knockoff 9900 keyboards at a profit.
    Whoa yes that's an incredible deal. Sorry yes i remember your situation now.

I'm paying $50/ postpaid but for my needs it is a deal. I get BIS, unlimited international SMS/MMS, unlimited Canada calling. Several GB of data (mostly use wifi anyway).

What you say about the keyboards makes total sense.

Funny I just got a great deal on a BNIB 9320 and it really seems like it came from Mexico or somewhere where they are still making them. The back on it is the same material as what my Classic has on back. And it came in a box that just said "BlackBerry Mobile Device"...
    Hmmm.

It's no comparison to my Bold but fine for heavy work days when not using phone much anyway. I have a friend who uses a 9320 as his only device including tethering for internet. He's coming from a Samsung slider and ever so happy with his Curve.

Still hasn't prevented him from coveting my Agent 99. :P

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-12-16 12:55 PM
    Has everyone seen this already? I'm likely going to do it.

The 9900 is available on a 48 Hour Sale in Canada $80CDN
    /blackberry-bold-series-f235/9900-available-48-hour-sale-canada-80cdn-1088553/
    10-12-16 12:59 PM
    Absolutely, and it's probably why we see so many teens and seniors using iphones.
    10-12-16 05:42 PM
    Yes I agree that they need to re-release this device with a little updated specs and keep the exact same design, maybe make it a little thicker so the battery lasts longer or I'm sure by now they can make a same sized battery with higher mah. The Classic is clunky and not integrated well with BB10, with the Q10 screen there's the on screen buttons that never go away which make the screen really the same size as the 9900 but it's harder to use the Q10. I use my 9900 for emails and the social media apps that it is able to use, I use my iphone only for social media apps and for less typing, it's a huge chore and I can't wait to replace the iphone with the Priv, even if the physical keyboard is the same as the on screen iPhone 6 keyboard it will be different because if your finger hits off a physical key it doesn't press it unlike on an onscreen keyboard which drives me insane every single day haha.
    Can you just imagine everyone complaining about the small screen size? Haha, I'll say this, for those of us that appreciate this device and dig using it, the screen size isn't an issue, its a bonus.. Being able to slip it into a shirt pockey or fromt pocket of jeans and not realize it is not even there is a great big fat BONUS IMO.
    10-12-16 05:47 PM

Now Now. Friends don't let friends buy Samsung Galaxy Note 7's and friends don't let friends buy cheapie 9900 keyboards .

Remember my experiences when I went to 2 different electronics repair cell shops and they tried several (what we thought were BB brand KB's, but they weren't because the codes were not even in the correct font to be original) and I either had a trackpad that didn't work OR IF the Trackpad did work, there were at least 3 letter keys that didn't.

No way man, it has to be a Blackberry brand KB for me and I was grateful when Shuswap clued me into that seller.

I thought $25 wasn't too bad? I thought they were more before? I guess I got a good deal at $15, if I recall, but it is still as crisp and clicky as the day I installed this one the day it arrived from ebay. Totally worth it.

Give me Original equiptment or give me my old Motorola 650 flip back
    10-12-16 05:55 PM
    Now Now. Friends don't let friends buy Samsung Galaxy Note 7's and friends don't let friends buy cheapie 9900 keyboards .

Remember my experiences when I went to 2 different electronics repair cell shops and they tried several (what we thought were BB brand KB's, but they weren't because the codes were not even in the correct font to be original) and I either had a trackpad that didn't work OR IF the Trackpad did work, there were at least 3 letter keys that didn't.

No way man, it has to be a Blackberry brand KB for me and I was grateful when Shuswap clued me into that seller.

I thought $25 wasn't too bad? I thought they were more before? I guess I got a good deal at $15, if I recall, but it is still as crisp and clicky as the day I installed this one the day it arrived from ebay. Totally worth it.

Give me Original equiptment or give me my old Motorola 650 flip back

The black ones were about $16. The white ones were and are still around $12. I'll have to look at my pile of keyboards (I'm exaggerating.... there are three) and see if the fonts are consistent. They certainly all work. One is original (and really worn out), one from purebrindle, and one from another seller (it was the first replacement, and it was fine, but the backlight stopped working).
    10-12-16 06:26 PM
    I'll have to look at my pile of keyboards).
    Kim Kardashian called, she wants her keyboards back. (The real reason she was forced to switch to Apple) 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1476315551.709839.jpg
    10-12-16 06:39 PM
    So OK somewhat pretty fairly confused now. Not surrrre...

I might just watch purebrindle for a few more months & track the prices.

Also since I will be in TO in November I will hit Electronics Row & look for batteries & keyboards. Caveat emptor in that neighbourhood but past experience has shown that there is both quality & good prices to be had.

And to be honest now that I've compared the keyboard on my Bold here to both my 6 month old Classic & my brand new 9320 I don't really think it needs to be replaced. It has just the right amount of click & snap, & bounce! It's like the keys on these Bolds spring back, sending your thumbs onward in their journey to the next ones.

I would like a battery or two for swapping & a wall charger.

This 9900 has taken away the umbrage I have felt for years whenever it is necessary to write longish explanatory email responses by phone. I see why these Bold 99s really were THE great device that capped off the "Email era."

10-12-16 07:19 PM
    And to be honest now that I've compared the keyboard on my Bold here to both my 6 month old Classic & my brand new 9320 I don't really think it needs to be replaced. It has just the right amount of click & snap, & bounce! It's like the keys on these Bolds spring back, sending your thumbs onward in their journey to the next ones.

I'm curious: what made you want to replace the keyboard in the first place? If it feels anywhere near as crisp as the Classic, it's in good shape. The Classic has a very nice feel. I've never used a Curve so I don't know what those keyboards feel like.

An extra battery is a great thing to have in reserve. Kidigi used to make a nice charger cradle that charged both the phone and an extra battery, but I haven't seen one for sale for a while.

I have one of these chargers, and I've found that it needs a higher amp adapter plug than the phone does in order to charge properly. I use a 1.5A Playbook adapter with it, which seems to work well.
    10-12-16 11:47 PM
    After using the 9780 for a few days I still miss the 9900 and out of the 2 that are mine ( +1 gf) both refuse to boot. On one I have a constant red led and no activity and on the second, once I put the battery in, the trackpad and keyboard light up and the screen gets a little gray, but I don't see the BlackBerry logo and progress bar. Could it be just a lcd failure? I see the backlight on but no start sequence. I really don't know if I should buy a new screen or not although I'm leaning in that direction. Perhaps you could give me a piece of advice. I've checked if the batteries work by putting them in the third 9900 and that one boots with no issues, so at least that is out of the way.

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    10-13-16 11:30 AM
    So OK somewhat pretty fairly confused now. Not surrrre...

I might just watch purebrindle for a few more months & track the prices.

Also since I will be in TO in November I will hit Electronics Row & look for batteries & keyboards. Caveat emptor in that neighbourhood but past experience has shown that there is both quality & good prices to be had.

This 9900 has taken away the umbrage I have felt for years whenever it is necessary to write longish explanatory email responses by phone. I see why these Bold 99s really were THE great device that capped off the "Email era."

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it, as your buttons aren't sticking or something, keep on trucking and enjoy it
    10-13-16 05:36 PM

An extra battery is a great thing to have in reserve. Kidigi used to make a nice charger cradle that charged both the phone and an extra battery, but I haven't seen one for sale for a while.

I have one of these chargers, and I've found that it needs a higher amp adapter plug than the phone does in order to charge properly. I use a 1.5A Playbook adapter with it, which seems to work well.
    And that's just it, I don't think I could ever survive without an extra battery for my 9900. The beauty about these devices is a quick battery swap and there is been many times I wish I could've done that with my iPhone!

Did I ever show you my wall charger? It's not even as nice is that BlackBerry one in your link, and it is Chinese but it does the job :-) I do however love my pod charger up right and I use it daily
    10-13-16 05:39 PM
    After using the 9780 for a few days I still miss the 9900 and out of the 2 that are mine ( +1 gf) both refuse to boot. On one I have a constant red led and no activity and on the second, once I put the battery in, the trackpad and keyboard light up and the screen gets a little gray, but I don't see the BlackBerry logo and progress bar. Could it be just a lcd failure? I see the backlight on but no start sequence. I really don't know if I should buy a new screen or not although I'm leaning in that direction. Perhaps you could give me a piece of advice. I've checked if the batteries work by putting them in the third 9900 and that one boots with no issues, so at least that is out of the way.

Try rebooting it when it's plugged in, I'm just curious if that might make a difference. But one time I had a new battery come in and have the dreaded red X meaning beyond recovery. I was able to recover it through some tricks but you're not seeing that so as you said probably isn't the battery

Maybe some sort of software glitch or the screen as you say. Maybe perhaps even the plug-in for the screen worked it's way loose. Have you ever taken it apart to see if everything is nice and tight inside?
    10-13-16 05:43 PM
    And that's just it, I don't think I could ever survive without an extra battery for my 9900. The beauty about these devices is a quick battery swap and there is been many times I wish I could've done that with my iPhone!

Did I ever show you my wall charger? It's not even as nice is that BlackBerry one in your link, and it is Chinese but it does the job :-) I do however love my pod charger up right and I use it daily

You did post some pics of your wall charger, somewhere way back in this unwieldy thread!
    10-13-16 07:33 PM
    Have you ever taken it apart to see if everything is nice and tight inside?
    I'll try your method later and I will let you know. I have taken them apart multiple times with the same result and the connection is indeed tight, the screens are both 001 versions and they're both AT&T units, so in theory there shouldn't be any difference, build wise, between them.

10-14-16 03:55 AM
    I'll try your method later and I will let you know. I have taken them apart multiple times with the same result and the connection is indeed tight, the screens are both 001 versions and they're both AT&T units, so in theory there shouldn't be any difference, build wise, between them.

Sorry to butt in... if I remember correctly, you're Danish, right?

If so, do you know of any possible solution for getting BIS in DK?

I really love this little thing, but without BIS, it's just if no use when not on wifi, since at least FB Messenger is a must for me. The recommendations earlier in this thread haven't helped me getting it to work on data, I'm afraid.
    10-14-16 04:47 PM
    Well if the connections are tight and plugged in, then you are probably right, it is some other cause. Maybe you are correct about the burned out LCD screen. For around $20 dollars I have seen new screens on ebay and amazon. (Canadian of course) so at least this is a device that can get parts relatively cheaply if need be.
    10-14-16 05:08 PM
    It's not a "butt in" so don't worry about it. We're all just trying to help each other out and there is still so much to learn about this device, so we all benefit if we can find the solution.
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    10-14-16 05:11 PM
    You did post some pics of your wall charger, somewhere way back in this unwieldy thread!
    Man I can't believe I haven't burned the house down with that thing yet. At least it's not made by Samsung
    10-14-16 05:16 PM
8,754 ... 124125126127128 ...