Nope, because even when my sim card is in the iphone I can use the 99 for FB, twitter, basically everything but emails and texting.

There is something you must have to do yet. I'm sure someone will make suggestions....
    Yeah quite sure I'm missing a step or something. It'll get there eventually.
    10-08-16 03:04 AM
    Something I do wish the 9900 had is the little loop for a camera strap like the 9780 has. I bet a lot of 9780 owners never knew what that side hole/port was for. I appreciated the strap when walking on the street or holding the phone in bed because if you have ever dropped it on your eye or nose, then you know what I am talking aboot eh. Don't even ask about the time I dropped my ipad 1 like this, and that thing was a TANK!
    Yep, several models boasted that feature. My old 8100 Pearl did. Always liked it. We frequently use our handsets as data entry terminals while tracing conductors in control panels, for example. Requiring much out-of-position (an old welding term, btw) contortion. Needless to say, handsets get dropped.

About 8 of us, a few yrs ago, had our fab shop edm a pair of openings in some 99 frames just for camera straps. Those frames are still in wifi only QC service out on the plant floor. Some ideas never cease to be great ideas!

We've pondered modding some Classic frames but no one has volunteered to strip out the frames from that user-miserable configuration ... Some in my crew who have dissected Classics opine that they'll schedule a root canal in order to be absent for the day we strip a frame from one... Lol.

Of course edm is NOT friendly to assembled electronics but the thought has been voiced...lol. Classics are still too expensive for "destructive exploration"... Lol.

Interesting to note that in addition to being utterly unmatched for ergonomic user experience, our 99s are also nearly unmatched for user repair!! The more i use these things, the more impressed the engineer in me gets at how much of RIM's hard won experience wound up in the 9900!! Truly a labor of love for SOMEone at RIM.

For some of us, our 99s aren't just handsets, they're a lifestyle.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-08-16 06:21 AM
    You know, THIS actually almost makes this entire thread worth it just to hear you say that lols.

Do me a favour and while you are on that beauty, check under your "applications" folder and see if you see "Notes" or "Memo.". Mine says "Memo" and I think it might be the exact same thing as Notes.
    I see something called "MemoPad".

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-08-16 08:33 AM
    Weird, I don't have that on mine. And I was thinking about using it again.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-08-16 10:42 AM
    Can I use a microsim adaptor to transfer my passport microsim card over to fit the 9930 Sim card slot? I'd like to experiment with the 9930 as main driver.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-08-16 10:53 AM
    Yep, several models boasted that feature. My old 8100 Pearl did. Always liked it. We frequently use our handsets as data entry terminals while tracing conductors in control panels, for example. Requiring much out-of-position (an old welding term, btw) contortion. Needless to say, handsets get dropped.

About 8 of us, a few yrs ago, had our fab shop edm a pair of openings in some 99 frames just for camera straps. Those frames are still in wifi only QC service out on the plant floor. Some ideas never cease to be great ideas!

We've pondered modding some Classic frames but no one has volunteered to strip out the frames from that user-miserable configuration ... Some in my crew who have dissected Classics opine that they'll schedule a root canal in order to be absent for the day we strip a frame from one... Lol.

Of course edm is NOT friendly to assembled electronics but the thought has been voiced...lol. Classics are still too expensive for "destructive exploration"... Lol.

Interesting to note that in addition to being utterly unmatched for ergonomic user experience, our 99s are also nearly unmatched for user repair!! The more i use these things, the more impressed the engineer in me gets at how much of RIM's hard won experience wound up in the 9900!! Truly a labor of love for SOMEone at RIM.

For some of us, our 99s aren't just handsets, they're a lifestyle.
    Yup, but then again having the strap on meant certain cases couldn't be used, OR you had to put the strap through the cases's hole (ahem, even after making the hole) and then try to put the case on without the strap slipping through the hold. It also meant putting the 99 into a hip holster 'upside down" and you had to get used to it, of course the strap made it much easier to remove the phone if it wasn't catching my kitchen cupboards, like it used to But I digress, still like it though.

So true about how they were built, and built so the entire unit didn't have to be replaced. True that I guess now since I discovered that electronics repair shop where I got this 99, they are able to even fix the likes of iphones, ipads etc. Anything can be fixed BUT the 9900 still has parts plentiful and cheap on ebay/amazon and most of them can be easily replaced by anyone with the help of millions of "how to" repair vids on Youtube at our disposal.

I have replaced and got new:

Batteries

back door

ear-speaker

Keyboard

KB bottom plate (adhesive)

Keypad

Trackpad (but might come with new KB attatched in some cases)

On my 9780 the Camera module was replaced 3 times. I have to wonder how many iphones might get thrown away because of something like that, people won't bother I'm betting but it is very easy to replace.

I did however have the repair shop perform the ear speaker replacement for me as I didn't know what to expect, and I figured if I ruined something in my efforts, then at least that would "be on them" and they would have given me a new 9900 from their supply.

Yes, a "Frankenstein phone" I am proud to have haha, because to me it is like a new device because all of this.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-08-16 10:53 AM
    Can I use a microsim adaptor to transfer my passport microsim card over to fit the 9930 Sim card slot? I'd like to experiment with the 9930 as main driver.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    I use the iphone's nano sim card and I put it into a Standard SD Card adapter to use in the 9900.

By Micro do you mean "Nano?"

Some people swap Sim cards without an adapter, but I prefer to use a "Standard SD Adapter" or "Full SC card Adapter" that fits the 9900 because I feel it gives more to "grab onto" during the removal process when I want to use the iphone again.

10-08-16 11:04 AM
    when in doubt, Google But someone should have some more suggestions I'm hoping.

10-08-16 11:06 AM
    well it looks like my CB app for this thread is working perfectly again. Funny how I have to wait a day and there was no need to uninstall and reinstall the app because that made no difference last night.

Oh well, the browser version of CB is ok also albeit a little slower...

10-08-16 11:10 AM
    Oh and also I have no problems using Facebook or any other app OFF wifi and data runs smooth on mine, nice and fast.
    Must be the BIS doing its thing there.
    Nope, because even when my sim card is in the iphone I can use the 99 for FB, twitter, basically everything but emails and texting.

There is something you must have to do yet. I'm sure someone will make suggestions....
    If you don't have BIS, the Facebook app will only work on WiFi. I haven't found any workarounds, but I didn't care enough to spend much time at it. Theoretically, it's possible that you could figure something out using Aerize WiFiX.

If you haven't had a look yet, sweeperdk, there's a long thread on running the 9900 without BIS here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/
    10-08-16 02:57 PM
    Weird, I don't have that on mine. And I was thinking about using it again.....

Have you tried the "Show Hidden Icons" setting? MemoPad might have been hidden by accident. It should be there.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-08-16 03:02 PM
    If you don't have BIS, the Facebook app will only work on WiFi. I haven't found any workarounds, but I didn't care enough to spend much time at it. Theoretically, it's possible that you could figure something out using Aerize WiFiX.

If you haven't had a look yet, sweeperdk, there's a long thread on running the 9900 without BIS here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/
    Yeah been messing around with the 9900 for the better part of 24 hours. Mail is coming along, I can send but not receive.

FB messenger not coming through without wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me... will look into if there are any options at all regarding BIS in Denmark, although what I know so far is that the chances are slim to none.

May have to go with the Q10 instead, but I really don't want to.
    10-08-16 03:11 PM
    Yeah been messing around with the 9900 for the better part of 24 hours. Mail is coming along, I can send but not receive.

FB messenger not coming through without wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me... will look into if there are any options at all regarding BIS in Denmark, although what I know so far is that the chances are slim to none.

I concluded I need to stick with my Q10 or get a Classic after messing with my 9930 again for several hours. Brilliant hardware, but the software just doesn't do a few things I need.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    sweeperdk likes this.
    10-08-16 03:25 PM
    Have you tried the "Show Hidden Icons" setting? MemoPad might have been hidden by accident. It should be there.
    I did, the only new things showing now are "Saved Messages" and "Compose"

10-08-16 03:26 PM
    here is what I see now under "Applications"

Its really not a big deal, I don't NEED Notes but I was just wondering where it was since I got the device

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-08-16 03:27 PM
    Just discovered that if I want to post a pic in here as a FILE I cannot QUOTE someone, I just have to do it as a "stand alone" post, then it works.

10-08-16 03:30 PM

Are you using LogicMail? The major email providers (outlook.com, yahoo, gmail) have upgraded their encryption, so there's really only one way to get around that problem. I've outlined it here.

To state the process simply:

You have to forward your outlook.com, yahoo, or gmail account to a gmx.com or openmailbox.org account.

Then, in LogicMail:
    • continue to use your outlook/yahoo/gmail settings for SMTP.
    • use the gmx or openmailbox account settings for pop3.

I don't know of any other method that works with LogicMail at this point.
    sweeperdk likes this.
    10-08-16 03:52 PM

A huge part of my wanting to use the 9900 for me was to take a little break from the constant bombardment of notifications from the 45 apps I have on my iphone. However with Twitter notifs set up to come in as texts I easily exceed my 200 limit everyday. Other than that I find that I am almost at the same level of notifs as the iphone.

For me, I am happy the FB inboxes can't always be heard, if it is Facebook, it is not an urgent app (again for my uses) and it can wait until I check it. I have got used to the Browser version of FB, and I use it along with the native app version but I am lucky perhaps that I can take full advantage of BIS, but this does not explain why you cannot get it on wifi. But again, remember, I would NOT rely on that FB Messenger app, it was never working good for me, notifs do NOT work on it when I tried it and that is why I suggested using the native FB app and keeping the ONLINE Messaging chatbox OPEN. Then you will get notifications.

It sounds like yours is more of a wifi issue. Have you tried setting up your wifi in the 9900? There are many settings that can be configured, but I am not sure this is the issue you are having. Make sure there are no filters turned on or restrictions. When in the 9900 wifi settings you can highlite a topic and then press the "dotted" BB button to check what options are available. It has been months since I had to do this, but I was messing around in the wifi settings because when I was at someone else's house, the wifi would not connect, but somehow I got it. Also recently at a cafe, the wifi would not connect and it was a matter of "forgetting this network" and then reconnecting to it a FEW times and then it finally worked.

sweeperdk likes this.
    10-08-16 04:08 PM
    A huge part of my wanting to use the 9900 for me was to take a little break from the constant bombardment of notifications from the 45 apps I have on my iphone. However with Twitter notifs set up to come in as texts I easily exceed my 200 limit everyday. Other than that I find that I am almost at the same level of notifs as the iphone.

For me, I am happy the FB inboxes can't always be heard, if it is Facebook, it is not an urgent app (again for my uses) and it can wait until I check it. I have got used to the Browser version of FB, and I use it along with the native app version but I am lucky perhaps that I can take full advantage of BIS, but this does not explain why you cannot get it on wifi. But again, remember, I would NOT rely on that FB Messenger app, it was never working good for me, notifs do NOT work on it when I tried it and that is why I suggested using the native FB app and keeping the ONLINE Messaging chatbox OPEN. Then you will get notifications.

It sounds like yours is more of a wifi issue. Have you tried setting up your wifi in the 9900? There are many settings that can be configured, but I am not sure this is the issue you are having. Make sure there are no filters turned on or restrictions. When in the 9900 wifi settings you can highlite a topic and then press the "dotted" BB button to check what options are available. It has been months since I had to do this, but I was messing around in the wifi settings because when I was at someone else's house, the wifi would not connect, but somehow I got it. Also recently at a cafe, the wifi would not connect and it was a matter of "forgetting this network" and then reconnecting to it a FEW times and then it finally worked.

I'm using the app as recommended, it just works on wifi. Everything regarding wifi is set up correct, it's not the wifi I have issues with, it's when I'm not on wifi.

The major issue is that messages via fb have become the standard to which everyone does messaging here in Denmark, so it's pretty much a must have for me.
    10-08-16 04:32 PM
    I'm using the app as recommended, it just works on wifi. Everything regarding wifi is set up correct, it's not the wifi I have issues with, it's when I'm not on wifi.

The major issue is that messages via fb have become the standard to which everyone does messaging here in Denmark, so it's pretty much a must have for me.
    You're certainly not going to convert the whole country to another messenger. :P Besides, the Facebook app is unsupported, and could stop working at any time. Whatsapp is almost gone and Kik and Viber stopped working within the past year. It probably won't be long before messaging on the 9900 is SMS/MMS only, and even then you usually need a carrier with BIS to push you the service books necessary to send MMS messages.
    10-08-16 05:51 PM
    When I was setting up and reinstalling the CB app I noticed the date somewhere said 2013. The last couple days I had some issues with only this thread, which seems unexplainable. Today CB is working perfect.

Also the Facebook is an older version that I use from that OTA link. It has never failed.

Supposedly these are not supported anymore, but we seem to be able to still use them, so I'm doubtfull they would cease to work suddenly, instantly overnight. I'm thinking there might be incrementel minor issues until they don't work anymore but even then there is always the browser versions of FB and CB that we should be able to use indefinately??

Just my thoughts.

10-08-16 06:04 PM

All is not lost, as it still makes a great spare device if you cannot use it for your main device.

Mine has replaced my iphone and I originally intended it to be my spare. Yes I know how backwards that sounds and my friends still think I might be crazy

10-08-16 06:33 PM
    Also the Facebook is an older version that I use from that OTA link. It has never failed.

Supposedly these are not supported anymore, but we seem to be able to still use them, so I'm doubtfull they would cease to work suddenly, instantly overnight.
    That's exactly what happened with Kik. It just stopped working one day. The same thing happened with a great little (official) java app called "Facebook for Every Phone" that used to work on cellular data for those of us without BIS.

On the positive side, both apps worked long after the end of support. But the end comes without warning: one day everything's fine, the next the company makes an API change. It's inevitable and you never know when it will happen. Good thing you have that iPhone as a backup.
    10-08-16 08:20 PM
    That's exactly what happened with Kik. It just stopped working one day. The same thing happened with a great little (official) java app called "Facebook for Every Phone" that used to work on cellular data for those of us without BIS.

On the positive side, both apps worked long after the end of support. But the end comes without warning: one day everything's fine, the next the company makes an API change. It's inevitable and you never know when it will happen. Good thing you have that iPhone as a backup.
    KIK was a little before my time when I got the 9900 but I had it on the iphone and even on the iphone it was crappy. But I had LINE on both devices and Line on the 9900 worked sometimes and then had days that were great then other days it would jam. So I never personally ever saw an app in my experience that just suddenly quit without showing signs of problems first, and I hope I never do.

I am still waiting to see what happens with Whatsapp. I'm pretty upset about a certain multi-billionairre that feels the need to pull the plug on a app that still functions perfectly knowing FULL WELL that millions will be left in the dark that rely on it all over the world. Don't even get me going on this.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-08-16 at 09:21 PM.
    10-08-16 08:38 PM
    Guess what device is also known as the "Bold 4."

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-09-16 at 03:38 PM.
    10-09-16 02:31 AM
8,754 ... 122123124125126 ...