Grff yes that's what I meant. German eh? Sounds good. Will look it up. Vielen Dank!

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-29-16 10:33 PM
    German eh? Sounds good.
    For some reason, I prefer to have my mail opened by distant governments to which I am completely irrelevant! :P You might also have a look at openmailbox.org. I found both services when I was looking around for something that still worked with LogicMail.
    09-29-16 10:50 PM
    Wish I could recall to recount events over these couple days. The statistician in me struggles to accept so many unlikely coincidences over so short of period. An eternity for those using Gmail, I'm sure. Lol.

Our IT guy is still conspicuously absent. Ostensibly off in distant corners of our extended organization assisting his still overwhelmed colleagues to mitigate an unprecedented cacophony of seemingly unrelated maladies. NONE of which can be associated with BIS in ANY possible way, afaik. Eager to have a long conversation with him over a tall beer. Lol.

A couple "guided discoveries" stand out:

#1) Google is TOO globally ubiquitous! TOO many eggs in that basket, imo.

#2) Breakroom theories can be even more entertainingly preposterous than barroom theories... Lol.

The two guys in my office with Gmail issues wisely just waited it out. Nearly all in my office are veterans of the infamous BIS blackout, some years back. A lesson in the virtue of patience. Lol.

Any authoritative word on what happened? Was this Google's "BIS Blackout" ???

In the end, I'm comforted to detect life at BBRY/BIS/NOC. They acknowledged an issue and then seemingly corrected it! Even if it was Google's doing? Life is good!
    09-30-16 06:31 AM
    There's NO way ANYthing at google could possibly mess with my trackpad but... Its working perfectly now.
    "Sergei, we have succeeded!"
    09-30-16 12:49 PM
    is everyone's Gmail all good now? Mine is definately at 100% on the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-30-16 03:24 PM
    I really wish they numbered those movies because I have one of them and not even sure which it is

Sav Sav likes this.
    09-30-16 03:25 PM
    Yeah mine is working like normal, all three accounts, I've been using them since last night. Glad that it's back, the outage reminded me of that 2011 incident in Europe when BIS was out for nearly a week and I was left with an iphone 3G to use and it was the worst haha.
    Sav Sav likes this.
    09-30-16 03:27 PM
    the outage reminded me of that 2011 incident in Europe when BIS was out for nearly a week and I was left with an iphone 3G to use and it was the worst haha.
    I remember that quite well because I had just got my first Blackberry, the white 9780 in August of 2011 and I think it happened soon after that. I remember stopping in at the Rogers store and asking them "what is going on" and they told me "everyone is having the problem."

I think it lasted 2 or 3 days? Anyway some of the anti-Blackberry tech reporters like to STILL mention this in all the new articles since the big news announced 2 days ago.

Blackberry cannot be the ONLY ones that ever had an outage.

Sav Sav likes this.
    09-30-16 03:33 PM
    They're not the only ones, iMessage had an outage before it was annoying the messages would send but only as SMS texts so I had some extra charges in my bill for international texting, at least the blackberry outage didn't cost me anything, when it happened back in September 2011 I remember thinking it was a ploy by Apple to drive people to buy the newly announced iphone at the time, I still believe that. The media love to ridicule blackberry since these social media apps took off, if Instagram, snap chat and others weren't invented people would still be using twitter and Facebook.
    Sav Sav likes this.
    09-30-16 03:38 PM
    Just bought my first 9900 (had a 9780 back in the day) today and I'm very happy about it. Been wanting one for years, but I got caught up in all the other new shiny android and iOS phones that released year after year. I've also had problems with all of them, year after year lol. Nonetheless, I don't think there's any one brand that's the best, but Blackberry is definitely reliable.

- Happy to own a BB once again
    idssteve and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-30-16 04:59 PM
    Just bought my first 9900 (had a 9780 back in the day) today and I'm very happy about it. Been wanting one for years, but I got caught up in all the other new shiny android and iOS phones that released year after year. I've also had problems with all of them, year after year lol. Nonetheless, I don't think there's any one brand that's the best, but Blackberry is definitely reliable.

Welcome aboard!
    idssteve, Ursus Rufus and Sav Sav like this.
    09-30-16 05:09 PM

That's how I got my start in all of this, 9780. Keep us posted on how setting it up goes or if any questions, all of us here know different things and someone should be able to advise.

Unlocked?

09-30-16 05:12 PM
    Boy, logicmail is a real chore but I finally got Juno mail working on it. Next I'll try yahoo or live.com.

Is there a good epub reader? I use kindle for my amazon ebooks, and that works fine, but I have a bunch of books on Pdf and epub format too.

Passport!
    09-30-16 05:39 PM
    Hahahahahaha...

Breakroom conspiracy theories get pretty far fetched sometimes... Especially when fueled by coincidence... Lol.
    09-30-16 08:42 PM
    Boy, logicmail is a real chore but I finally got Juno mail working on it. Next I'll try yahoo or live.com.

Is there a good epub reader? I use kindle for my amazon ebooks, and that works fine, but I have a bunch of books on Pdf and epub format too.

Passport!
    Shawsup will know about this. I never heard of Juno.

There was a news story about Yahoo a few days ago about something like 55 million email accounts being hacked. (I can easily get the link if you need) Personally I didn't even think anyone still used Yahoo. I can't imagine they have much of a security budget.

I would use Hotmail or Live.ca Live.com. They don't track everything like Gmail does. Google supposedly stores every convo we ever have on their servers, that's why I read bad things about their new Allo Messenger.

A LOT of people were furious when Hotmail made everyone change their emails to an Outlook.com suffix and we had a limited amount of time to do it! Many people were travelling, etc and could not get to it in time so I assume they lost everything. I was able to change mine and when I went to do it they made me wait another 3 weeks! It was like calling the dentist and having to get an appointment or something, just ridiculous!

But I was able to save mine.

idssteve likes this.
    09-30-16 09:19 PM
    Edit: They gave us a certain amount of time to KEEP the old Hotmail we had if we logged in and did some registration thing, otherwise they changed it........I think. something like that anyway.

09-30-16 09:21 PM
    I never used hotmail. And yahoo / outlook don't work with logicmail. Oh well. Juno is my main email account, the rest are mostly junk mail.

I could always forward my mail, if I really wanted to. Doesn't matter, I mostly use my passport for email anyway

I will rue the day my passport finally dies. At least I'll still have a 9930.

Passport!
    09-30-16 11:45 PM
    Edit: They gave us a certain amount of time to KEEP the old Hotmail we had if we logged in and did some registration thing, otherwise they changed it........I think. something like that anyway.

Yup that's how it rolled
    10-01-16 12:31 AM

Passport!

There are a couple of epub readers in BlackBerry World. I don't know if they're any good. There was also a Kobo app for OS 4.5+, but I can't find an OTA source for it, and I've seen reports that people couldn't get it to open 3rd party .epub files.

Another alternative is to convert your ebooks using Calibre (it's free and open source). I have it on my laptop and use it to convert all of my ebooks to both .epub and .mobi files, so that I can use them on any device. The OS7 Kindle app has no trouble reading 3rd party .mobi files.

I can't imagine that reading pdfs would be a great experience on the 9900, but you should be able to read them with docs to go.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-01-16 at 02:16 AM.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-01-16 02:05 AM
    why Blackberry owners keep their devices longer than any other

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/09/...-other-brands/

Ursus Rufus and anon(8063781) like this.
    10-01-16 04:14 AM
    There are a couple of epub readers in BlackBerry World. I don't know if they're any good. There was also a Kobo app for OS 4.5+, but I can't find an OTA source for it, and I've seen reports that people couldn't get it to open 3rd party .epub files.

Another alternative is to convert your ebooks using Calibre (it's free and open source). I have it on my laptop and use it to convert all of my ebooks to both .epub and .mobi files, so that I can use them on any device. The OS7 Kindle app has no trouble reading 3rd party .mobi files.

I can't imagine that reading pdfs would be a great experience on the 9900, but you should be able to read them with docs to go.
    Not the greatest experience but I use docs-to-go quite a lot on 9900. "I & O" keyboard zoom combined with trackpad pan makes viewing PDFs possible, at least. Even single handed friendly to some degree. "Column View" helps on some PDFs.

I carry Passport along with my 99 on days expecting a lot of certain PDFs. Just depends on the PDF. If fonts & things are sized right, Passport's screenestate is a real benefit. if things are sized to require zoom & pan to see anyway, 99 gets used. Or, if viewing while dining, etc, 99 is hands down single handed winner, for me. Pun intended. Lol.

Ultimately, really cantankerous PDFs wind up Miracast to a nearby smart TV thru my Classic. Or, if at desk in cubicle, to large screen thru 9900 linked PlayBook's HDMI. I just prefer trackpad navigation on both small AND large screens.
    10-01-16 05:53 AM
    Not the greatest experience but I use docs-to-go quite a lot on 9900. "I & O" keyboard zoom combined with trackpad pan makes viewing PDFs possible, at least. Even single handed friendly to some degree. "Column View" helps on some PDFs.

I carry Passport along with my 99 on days expecting a lot of certain PDFs. Just depends on the PDF. If fonts & things are sized right, Passport's screenestate is a real benefit. if things are sized to require zoom & pan to see anyway, 99 gets used. Or, if viewing while dining, etc, 99 is hands down single handed winner, for me. Pun intended. Lol.

Ultimately, really cantankerous PDFs wind up Miracast to a nearby smart TV thru my Classic. Or, if at desk in cubicle, to large screen thru 9900 linked PlayBook's HDMI. I just prefer trackpad navigation on both small AND large screens.

For me, PDFs are one file type for which I need a bigger screen. My eyes no longer do small text, and text size is actually one of the reasons why I like the 9900 over the Q10. I used my tech allowance at work this Spring to get a Surface 3. It's thin and light, fanless, and runs cool. I don't notice it in my backpack, and annotating PDFs with that pen has gotten me to a near paperless state.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-01-16 11:22 AM

In case of .epub files you can try free YReader Epub:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/40843490
    10-01-16 12:07 PM
    I'm glad I still have my Bold 9900. The real Classic.
    10-01-16 12:23 PM
    Grrrr.... my too good to be true eBay sale was really too good to be true. The seller reneged. Negative feedback doesn't seem like enough!

Back to the search....
    10-01-16 01:11 PM
8,754 ... 115116117118119 ...