Random (weird) story.

Today, after a heated conversation with somebody, I hurled my Bold into the wall in front of me.

Upon impact, the phone made a sizeable dent in the (fake) wall and the battery and rear cover flew off. After I calmed myself a little, I went to see what happened. To my surprise, the phone was 99% intact, with only a small piece of plastic that held the battery cover in place broken. As I have 3 Bolds (plus a spare housing) , I just took another battery cover and that was it. There were no other adverse effects that I could identify afterwards, as the phone functioned properly.

So...yeah. Disregarding my reaction, I think this is a fine example of the durability, endurance and quality of this BlackBerry product.

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    Reminds me of situations with the Storm2 , where in desperation had flung the thing across the room.

I think this was normal procedure in the day : if it malfunctioned pull the battery if that didn't work , then toss the thing into a wall !

Anyway , glad to hear your device was okay !!
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    09-25-16 07:15 PM
    Reminds me of situations with the Storm2 , where in desperation had flung the thing across the room.

I think this was normal procedure in the day : if it malfunctioned pull the battery if that didn't work , then toss the thing into a wall !

Awww... I kinda like my Storm2. But it was a $20 curiousity, not a three-year-contract albatross.
    09-25-16 09:03 PM
    Yeah, well, I was angry and the other person was lucky that some distance separated us or I would have strangled him just like in the Simpsons

Anyway, the 9900 is a great little device and I'm relieved nothing more serious happened.

On another note, I bought my mom a Classic to replace her 9780. What a fantastically beautiful phone! I didn't expect much, but when I took it out of the box it made me say wow out loud. I know this is the 9900 worship thread and I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the fun for some of you, but it feels better than the 9900 in hand. However, for the ones that have used it, the trackpad integration seems only skin deep. OS10 is not a non-touch os and the small trackpad feels as if it landed from another planet in the tool belt. OS7 is much more trackpad dependent than 10. Ok, I'm done I don't want to seem insensitive

Btw, what I miss most on OS10 is the auto on-off. Man, what a useful feature and what slobs they were to remove it! Before I go to sleep I put my headphones on and listen to some music. With the 9900, I know the battery is still going to be over 90% in the morning because it will turn off by itself, but with the Passport for example, I have to stay in a semi-zombie state and unplug the wire, etc,etc. So 9900 for night duties it is

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-25-16 11:05 PM
    I know this is the 9900 worship thread and I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the fun for some of you, but it feels better than the 9900 in hand.
    I guess if I used a purse I wouldn't mind lugging something that massive around either

I had to have a track pad man. I almost bought a Q10 but the navagation wasn't what I was used to and I've heard a few mention that some BB10 apps don't work or have issues. Other than the Whatsapp situation, all the apps I need work. BUT since the apps still work for 0S7, and after 5 years........one has to wonder if we will be saying the same for BB10?

I did like the Classic KB, no problems there. As for the Q10 I remember it was buttery smooth. But I'll stick with what I know works, for now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-25-16 11:24 PM
    What are good and still functional apps for 9930? So far, I have kindle and that advance led app that was mentioned earlier.

Passport!
    09-25-16 11:36 PM
    What are good and still functional apps for 9930? So far, I have kindle and that advance led app that was mentioned earlier.

Passport!
    Want to see what's on my 9900?

09-25-16 11:38 PM

Passport!
    Also curious, did you see the Youtube vids I made a few months ago for this?

09-25-16 11:39 PM
    I know this is the 9900 worship thread and I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the fun for some of you, but it feels better than the 9900 in hand. However, for the ones that have used it, the trackpad integration seems only skin deep.

OS7 is much more trackpad dependent than 10.

Btw, what I miss most on OS10 is the auto on-off. Man, what a useful feature
    Actually I like hearing any "negatives" also (don't exist) for the 9900 (don't exist) because it's good to know why we love this device (it's perfect) and how to compare to others (9900 is best) kind of like test driving many cars before settling on one.

But in all seriousless, I'm curious about (and maybe anyone can answer this) How similar the TrackPads function between the 9900 and the Classic.

For example you mentioned that the Classic is less dependant on the Trackpad, I think.

Personally I like the Trackpad because I am lazy and prefer to move my thumb as little as possible or I get exhausted

Auto on, Auto off. I have never used that and I can't even remember where I saw that in the settings but I seem to recall it. Why not just set to Silent? I suppose if one is not charging the device all night, with auto off you don't have to worry about battery drain, or whatever. Personally I leave mine to "Phone Calls Only" and it sits on the pod charger all night. I don't ever want to be completely cut off from the world if an important call comes in, even if it is at 3 am or some emergency, etc.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-25-16 11:59 PM
    Also curious, did you see the Youtube vids I made a few months ago for this?

Yes, I watched it. Maybe I should rewatch.

My os is the 1066 version, so no need to update.

I did have a brief moment of fear with my new 9930. I had turned on the auto on/off without knowing what it would do. I almost panicked when it suddenly turned off later that night and wouldn't respond to any button push. After connecting it to my pc, I quickly realized what I had done. Whew, no harm done! Looks like a good way to conserve battery life.

Passport!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 12:09 AM

I did have a brief moment of fear with my new 9930. I had turned on the auto on/off without knowing what it would do. I almost panicked when it suddenly turned off later that night and wouldn't respond to any button push. After connecting it to my pc, I quickly realized what I had done. Whew, no harm done! Looks like a good way to conserve battery life.

Passport!
    Ha ha yeah I don't even know if I would know how to turn it on after starting the auto off, I've never used it

Anyway here's a quick overview of any apps on my 9900. I really like that screen dim app I need it all the time at night time it just saves my eyes more than you know.9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474867237.457886.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474867255.323770.jpg
    09-26-16 12:21 AM

Passport!
    Good you've got 1066. Advance OS will take a while to explore & fine tune. A thread and/or sticky could easily be dedicated to just that.

I set up "Messages" to include texts & notifications. Sort of like a "mini-hub". Then I assign "Messages" to convenience key. Makes it single press by feel simple, without even looking, to access "Messages" from virtually ANY other app & location. Simple end or back key returns to where ever you left off. Handier message checking availability than even excellent HUB, imo. A muscle memory feature I really, REALLY miss when using my Classic. How-to was discussed in this very thread a while back.

Also, KB shortcuts provide wonderful navigational efficiency. Also discussed & partially listed pretty early in this thread. No need to learn them all at once. Just one or two at a time and let them incorporate into your work flow. Once learned, You might find you'll never want to be without them again! .

As for apps, "ShortcutMe", or similar, will assign anything to any key. Great app but I use slightly less functional deKilkken because for compatibility with a strange app "created", and used by my company. Also assign multiple presses to various keys. I have first press of convenience key to "Messages". Second press to spreadsheet (used a LOT for work), third press for Browser, fourth press for "Network"... Etc.

Also set double press Mute key to "flashlight". Quick fire up by feel. Third press Mute key pops up BB Maps... Etc.

Another app I value is BeWeather. A real PITA to set up the way I like it, tho. I can post my settings if needed? I really like how it displays on the home screen current conditions, forecast High/Low etc for current GPS derived location. It even displays what town I'm in on home screen. Great for frequent traveling. Its GPS relevant emergency alerts have saved me a couple times from Tornadoes. Once while driving. Another while in motel. But, getting it set up and fonts adhusted to fit on home screen took some patience. My settings should work for others, tho. Everyone at work uses them.

Other than that, TuneIn radio is great. DocsToGo, Unit Converter Pro,

Lygea HP10C is a great RPN scientific calculator if you happen to be "RPN minded". Lol.

EBay app still works.

A couple threads dedicated to available apps have been stickied.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 04:50 AM

I was certainly tempted to throw my Storm1 against a wall. Returned it before temptation became action... Lol.

I'm still accused of "Freudian sabotage" after "accidentally" drowning my then nine month old BB10.0.0 Z10 by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar) while answering the most important call of the year. Lol. BB10.0 was referred to as "Barely Baked 10" in my office. Poor Z10 never recovered. Lol.

Q10s that replaced it in my office are still unanimously despised for costing us BIG by failing to truly END calls via soft end. At least a couple coworkers have discussed using their old Qs as illuminated blue rock at the shotgun range... Lol. Range isn't open at night, tho so only talk so far. Lol.

All said, we've dropped our 99s a LOT. Including mine down a concrete stairway only to pop battery back in and keep working. Saw one 99 tumble down several stories of scaffolding, striking various things along the way... New KB, screen & battery cover had that one back in service in about 30 minutes as I recall. Always amazed me how well the touch screen works thru spider web cracks... Lol.

Our Classics have taken impressive beatings also. All in my office agree we'd rather endure multiple root canals than R&R a Classic keyboard, screen and battery, tho.
    anon(6038817) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-26-16 05:30 AM
    Actually I like hearing any "negatives" also (don't exist) for the 9900 (don't exist) because it's good to know why we love this device (it's perfect) and how to compare to others (9900 is best) kind of like test driving many cars before settling on one.

But in all seriousless, I'm curious about (and maybe anyone can answer this) How similar the TrackPads function between the 9900 and the Classic.

For example you mentioned that the Classic is less dependant on the Trackpad, I think.

Personally I like the Trackpad because I am lazy and prefer to move my thumb as little as possible or I get exhausted

Auto on, Auto off. I have never used that and I can't even remember where I saw that in the settings but I seem to recall it. Why not just set to Silent? I suppose if one is not charging the device all night, with auto off you don't have to worry about battery drain, or whatever. Personally I leave mine to "Phone Calls Only" and it sits on the pod charger all night. I don't ever want to be completely cut off from the world if an important call comes in, even if it is at 3 am or some emergency, etc.

My devices are 24/7 also. Can't even imagine the frantic barrage waiting if left off for a few hrs! Lol.

Surest way to shut down is battery pull. Once participated in a closed door meeting where all batteries were removed & set on conference room table beside confidently dead devices. Nother day in "corporate reality". Lol. Needless to say, NO iPhones were present. Lol.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 06:04 AM
    If I could find a way to get calendars, notes, and tasks to wirelessly sync on my 9930 I'd probably still be using it.

The ability to quickly view and edit these things across multiple devices has become an integral part of my workflow not only for other aspects of my life.

For example, my wife and I use shared iCloud calendars (she uses an iPhone and likely always will). I can sync my iCloud calendar with a BB10 device and when I add an appointment to it my wife instantly gets a notification and can see it in her calendar app. And I can see when my wife adds appointments to her calendar. This simple functionality has improved how we coordinate our schedules tremendously.

I found a way to get cloud-based calendars to sync manually with my 9930 when I connect it via USB cable to a Windows computer running Outlook, but that is just not good enough for what I need.

I pick up my 9930 and fiddle with it at least once a week, lamenting the fact that it is not being used. But I will never sell it. Because one day I may just say "what the heck" and start using it again.

But I do enjoy what BB10 has to offer and I am quite happy with my Q10 (and eagerly awaiting the Passport SE that I ordered late last week).

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 08:04 AM
    If I could find a way to get calendars, notes, and tasks to wirelessly sync on my 9930 I'd probably still be using it.

The ability to quickly view and edit these things across multiple devices has become an integral part of my workflow not only for other aspects of my life.

For example, my wife and I use shared iCloud calendars (she uses an iPhone and likely always will). I can sync my iCloud calendar with a BB10 device and when I add an appointment to it my wife instantly gets a notification and can see it in her calendar app. And I can see when my wife adds appointments to her calendar. This simple functionality has improved how we coordinate our schedules tremendously.

I found a way to get cloud-based calendars to sync manually with my 9930 when I connect it via USB cable to a Windows computer running Outlook, but that is just not good enough for what I need.

I pick up my 9930 and fiddle with it at least once a week, lamenting the fact that it is not being used. But I will never sell it. Because one day I may just say "what the heck" and start using it again.

But I do enjoy what BB10 has to offer and I am quite happy with my Q10 (and eagerly awaiting the Passport SE that I ordered late last week).

Is this something that used to sync when the devices were new?? Blackberry seems to have thought of everything when these came out, so my question is what about other devices made at the time.....did they sync? Just curious.

09-26-16 10:39 AM
    I was certainly tempted to throw my Storm1 against a wall. Returned it before temptation became action... Lol.

I'm still accused of "Freudian sabotage" after "accidentally" drowning my then nine month old BB10.0.0 Z10 by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar) while answering the most important call of the year. Lol. BB10.0 was referred to as "Barely Baked 10" in my office. Poor Z10 never recovered. Lol.

Q10s that replaced it in my office are still unanimously despised for costing us BIG by failing to truly END calls via soft end. At least a couple coworkers have discussed using their old Qs as illuminated blue rock at the shotgun range... Lol. Range isn't open at night, tho so only talk so far. Lol.

All said, we've dropped our 99s a LOT. Including mine down a concrete stairway only to pop battery back in and keep working. Saw one 99 tumble down several stories of scaffolding, striking various things along the way... New KB, screen & battery cover had that one back in service in about 30 minutes as I recall. Always amazed me how well the touch screen works thru spider web cracks... Lol.

Our Classics have taken impressive beatings also. All in my office agree we'd rather endure multiple root canals than R&R a Classic keyboard, screen and battery, tho.
    I would like to see an iphone still being used after being dropped off scaffolding from that high up! I once saw a lady drop her iphone (glass down) on some gravel back lane and the screen was toast, it wouldn't even turn on.

Then there is another guy I know who has spider webs all over his fractured 6S and he continues to use it for weeks like that. Man, talk about risking getting tiny pieces of glass under his skin, but he doesn't get it fixed!

I still say if one is stranded, in -20 weather, on a highway, with a flat tire, I would feel more comfortable still being able to use a dropped PKB than a glass slab because the PKB will still be able to work even if the screen doesn't.

anon(6038817) likes this.
    09-26-16 10:44 AM
    PS: I like the idea of being able to double press the mute button to have a flashlight!

Steve: do you NEED 1066 to take advantage of everything in AOLED? I tried it and I had too many questions about it.

I think you should create that thread just for this app because then I will download it and keep you busy, fo sho...

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-26-16 at 10:56 AM.
    09-26-16 10:45 AM
    Haven't used this guy in months!

You guys still finding it going strong for you?

#workwide #OG Black
    09-26-16 11:05 AM
    Is this something that used to sync when the devices were new?? Blackberry seems to have thought of everything when these came out, so my question is what about other devices made at the time.....did they sync? Just curious.

Those pesky iBorg types LOL it's always gotta be their way. One reason I keep my iPhone. Keep tabs on them. They feel frustrated because I'm only partly assimilated. :P

It's true what Newfangled says though I've tried everyway but Sunday to make my 9900 be able to sync with my brother's iPhone calendar but cannot be done, even by using Gmail sync, or tethering through computer (a hassle) etc. Can do it on my Classic though. Can also be done on any Drone I mean Droid.
    09-26-16 11:43 AM

I believe this was supported when it first came out, but BIS required some specific support on the part of email/calendar/contacts/notes/tasks providers in order for it to properly sync everything via the cloud. They all eventually discontinued support.

Other non-BIS devices also supported cloud sync but they didn't require any special support like BlackBerry BIS devices did.

Last edited by Newfangled; 09-26-16 at 04:37 PM.
    09-26-16 03:19 PM
    Roger that

09-26-16 04:21 PM
    look what I got finally..

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    09-26-16 05:00 PM
    So I hope those of you that have this massive app will be up for some questions, well, you have no choice really

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 05:01 PM
    ok so far this Advanced OS and LED makes my 9900 flash like a police car everytime I get a message. At nighttime it will be like a party with disco lights, cool

09-26-16 05:12 PM
    ok so far this Advanced OS and LED makes my 9900 flash like a police car everytime I get a message. At nighttime it will be like a party with disco lights, cool

The usefulness is that colors & patterns can be assigned to message type and for each contact. I, for example, set emails to red, calls to green, voice mail to rapid green, texts to blue, etc... Different patterns and alternating patterns for individual contacts. Play with it & get used to it and you'll know what type, and who, from the corner of your eye without diverting focus from primary tasks.
    09-26-16 11:20 PM
8,754 ... 110111112113114 ...