Edit: this was yet another worthless Battery app that didn't alert as advertised.
    Advance OS & LED is THE app to use, don't fight it - just install it! Even if you only use the battery monitor it's worth it, and you'll end up using it to manage memory flushing, nightly reboots, and more and more ...
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 09-24-16 at 08:04 AM.
    09-24-16 03:40 AM
    Advance OS & LED is THE app to use, don't fight it - just install it! Even if you only use the battery monitor it's worth it, and you'll end up using it manage memory flushing, nightly reboots, and more and more ...
    haha ok Roger that. I'll install it tomorrow. Just installing ios 10.0.2 on the ipad and iphone, taking quite a while for 50MB's

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-24-16 03:56 AM
    Advance OS & LED is THE app to use, don't fight it - just install it! Even if you only use the battery monitor it's worth it, and you'll end up using it manage memory flushing, nightly reboots, and more and more ...
    Considering all it provides, its 346k is really pretty light weight.

One would hope that RIM might've eventually included such features had they continued BBOS.
    09-24-16 07:38 AM
    haha ok Roger that. I'll install it tomorrow. Just installing ios 10.0.2 on the ipad and iphone, taking quite a while for 50MB's

No, don't Roger that - - Ralph that!
    After all it is you that we're blaming for everything
    09-24-16 08:09 AM
    For battery info - have been using this forever !

It's called Tiny Meter.

Very lightweight - 26.3 kb.
    No bells or whistles just logs for battery / temperature / memory.

It's still available for download ota :
    compactbyte.com/tinymeter/
    09-24-16 08:33 AM
    Really? I thought the att GSM frequency for USA was not supported by 9930? I know it works outside USA but in usa, it's CDMA because it's a verizon unlocked phone.
    All I know is I used an AT&T SIM in an unlocked Verizon 9930 in the US and it worked great.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-24-16 08:58 AM
    Hey Newfangled is back on his Q10 ... welcome back to the land of BlackBerry PKB's
    I can never stay away for long. Physical keyboards are essential for my ideal mobile experience. It's not just the typing, it's the shortcuts.

And I have a new Passport SE on order, so I'm looking forward to using its keyboard as a trackpad, too!

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-24-16 09:01 AM
    So, I just bought a fairly good used 9930. No app store! I had to find it from blackberry and download. Then I realised browser is pretty sluggish so I downloaded opera mini. I couldn't find a single good epub reader, so I found a way to download kindle reader directly to my 9930. The phone is supposedly unlocked but being a 9930, I don't think it will work on any USA GSM network. Any thoughts? If not, no big deal, I can save it as a backup pay as I go phone for verizon.

I put some mp3 on the phone, 6.2 gb free. Well gosh that's pretty unlimited for me, since this will not be a game phone. Just kindle reader, music, and epub if I ever find a good reader. Any ideas?

Os is 7.0.1 or something. Is that good enough? Do I need an update? I assume blackberry will have it somewhere on site.

Any good apps I might try?

Passport!
    Welcome home, btw.

Latest OS 7.1.0.1066 for Verizon has served well in my company's 9930s, World wide. We also use dedicated ATT 9900s so I have no experience with 9930 GSM on ATT. Sounds like it might work tho??

1066 is very good with memory management, battery life, signal optimization, feature set, etc... For 9930.

99s will accept 32GB SD cards. I keep a LOT of mp3 on its sd card and frequently bluetooth into stereo. I can drive from DC to Seattle and never hear the same song twice... Lol. TuneIn radio app is a must have for me, also.
    09-24-16 09:15 AM
    Really? I thought the att GSM frequency for USA was not supported by 9930? I know it works outside USA but in usa, it's CDMA because it's a verizon unlocked phone.

Now for WiFi, a Sim card is not needed. And I don't care about the slow download, as most 9930 apps are tiny in size and I won't use the browser much anyway. No games either.

Anyway, so far I love the 9930. Still learning how to use it but it's such a nice device. Questions --

Is there any easy way to check battery charge remaining? Opening up settings every time can't be right.

How do I shut down apps, or is that not necessary? I don't want unused apps running in the background and draining battery if I'm doing something else, unless that's not how the 9930 os works.

How fast does the 9930 charge up? Is fast charge safe or should I just do slowly or through desktop?

Passport!
    Our 99s can restore charge from 0% to 100% in three minutes flat! Including reboot after battery swap. Stand alone spare battery chargers can take however much time they want to charge the spare battery, since my 99 is never tied up wired to a wall acting as a dumb battery charger. True WIRELESS freedom!
    09-24-16 09:28 AM
    Given it's technical specs, the 9930 will only work on GSM 2G in the US. The 3G frequencies are 900 and 2100 MHz, which are used elsewhere in the world. There may be some small regional carrier that uses those frequencies, but the major players do not. Verizon may also block certain GSM carriers in the US. I don't know about that.

Given that AT&T is shutting down its 2G service on January 1, 2017, the only options will be T-Mobile or any MVNO using that network. T-Mobile will operate 2G until 2020, according to this report: https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...-t-2g-shutdown
    09-24-16 10:13 AM
    Given it's technical specs, the 9930 will only work on GSM 2G in the US. The 3G frequencies are 900 and 2100 MHz, which are used elsewhere in the world. There may be some small regional carrier that uses those frequencies, but the major players do not. Verizon may also block certain GSM carriers in the US. I don't know about that.

Given that AT&T is shutting down its 2G service on January 1, 2017, the only options will be T-Mobile or any MVNO using that network. T-Mobile will operate 2G until 2020, according to this report: https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...-t-2g-shutdown
    I got H+ using an AT&T SIM in an unlocked Verizon 9930.

09-24-16 10:17 AM
    I can never stay away for long. Physical keyboards are essential for my ideal mobile experience. It's not just the typing, it's the shortcuts.

And I have a new Passport SE on order, so I'm looking forward to using its keyboard as a trackpad, too!

BlackBerry currently have a significant sale on their smartphones and the Passport SE looks good value and very tempting at present prices.
    09-24-16 10:21 AM
    I got H+ using an AT&T SIM in an unlocked Verizon 9930.

Well, that shouldn't have happened! Compare the phone frequencies (http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_b..._9930-3755.php) with AT&T's frequencies (https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Co...s/td-p/4228054). Maybe it was an odd local tower? Or perhaps the phone is misreporting the connection? Or perhaps the online information is not entirely accurate?
    09-24-16 10:31 AM
    BlackBerry currently have a significant sale on their smartphones and the Passport SE looks good value and very tempting at present prices.
    No no no!!!!! Quit talking about it! I'm trying to ignore it. I know that keyboard must be all janky and weird to use.... right? right? I won't like it, right?
    09-24-16 10:33 AM
    Well, that shouldn't have happened! Compare the phone frequencies (http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_b..._9930-3755.php) with AT&T's frequencies (https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Co...s/td-p/4228054). Maybe it was an odd local tower? Or perhaps the phone is misreporting the connection? Or perhaps the online information is not entirely accurate?
    Just reporting what I saw and experienced first-hand.

09-24-16 10:47 AM
    No no no!!!!! Quit talking about it! I'm trying to ignore it. I know that keyboard must be all janky and weird to use.... right? right? I won't like it, right?
    I tried to talk myself out of it but I've been putting it off for far too long. It was a "now or never" type situation for me and I knew that if I didn't at least try it I would regret it forever.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-24-16 10:48 AM
    Where can I get 1066 and more importantly how do I install it?

Passport!
    09-24-16 11:01 AM

My company will be relegating our ATT 99s as wifi data entry terminals for our very unique QC validation. They might stay activated tho, just for time stamp coordination. ??

Our Verizon 9930s will soldier on. Some steel & concrete plants historically work best on GSM. Especially plants packed with certain manufacturer of frequency drives. ATT Passports will hopefully pick up the slack. A TALL order. Other plants favor Verizon. Go figure.

Passport is really my third place all time favorite. A distant third behind Classic, Classic being a distant second behind 9900, naturally. PP is a powerhouse and great for documents but it's really not a legitimate "single hander", imo. We're still exploring 9900 GSM options... TMo?
    anon(8063781) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-24-16 11:32 AM
    No, don't Roger that - - Ralph that!
    After all it is you that we're blaming for everything
    I'm sure Kim Khardashian is still blaming me as well, oops

09-24-16 11:33 AM
    For battery info - have been using this forever !

It's called Tiny Meter.

Very lightweight - 26.3 kb.
    No bells or whistles just logs for battery / temperature / memory.

It's still available for download ota :
    compactbyte.com/tinymeter/
    Any alerts for "Battery Full" and "Battery Charging?".

It looks like I have another one to test.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-24-16 11:42 AM
    Nope , no notifications whatsoever.

However when you hover over the icon it gives the percentage strength of your battery !
    09-24-16 12:26 PM
    Random (weird) story.

Today, after a heated conversation with somebody, I hurled my Bold into the wall in front of me.

Upon impact, the phone made a sizeable dent in the (fake) wall and the battery and rear cover flew off. After I calmed myself a little, I went to see what happened. To my surprise, the phone was 99% intact, with only a small piece of plastic that held the battery cover in place broken. As I have 3 Bolds (plus a spare housing) , I just took another battery cover and that was it. There were no other adverse effects that I could identify afterwards, as the phone functioned properly.

So...yeah. Disregarding my reaction, I think this is a fine example of the durability, endurance and quality of this BlackBerry product.

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-25-16 04:32 PM
    Nope , no notifications whatsoever.

However when you hover over the icon it gives the percentage strength of your battery !
    I still never got around to it.
    09-25-16 06:00 PM
    Random (weird) story.

Today, after a heated conversation with somebody, I hurled my Bold into the wall in front of me.

Upon impact, the phone made a sizeable dent in the (fake) wall and the battery and rear cover flew off. After I calmed myself a little, I went to see what happened. To my surprise, the phone was 99% intact, with only a small piece of plastic that held the battery cover in place broken. As I have 3 Bolds (plus a spare housing) , I just took another battery cover and that was it. There were no other adverse effects that I could identify afterwards, as the phone functioned properly.

So...yeah. Disregarding my reaction, I think this is a fine example of the durability, endurance and quality of this BlackBerry product.

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black

Now we know why you have 3 of them haha ok ok just kidding

I know exactly which piece broke off, because I have one of the tabs that broke off on my original one also, that's why I ordered a new back door some months back. $10 off Amazon I believe. The beauty of the one remaining tab (if that is what broke on yours) is that it will still sit flush with the factory Blackkberry brand batteries, but NOT with a higher cap battery.

Yeah the quality is so solid. That's why they feel so amazing to hold and part of the reason we love these so much I think.
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    09-25-16 06:04 PM
    PS: I never bother to use my BB soft Gel case. This device just feels like it can take some tumbles and keep on truckin.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-25-16 06:05 PM
8,754 ... 109110111112113 ...