I feel like I'm abetting an affair.
    HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-23-16 12:23 PM
    It's Friday

Work is done.

-collapses-
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-23-16 08:06 PM
    It's Friday

Work is done.

-collapses-
    No rest 4U! You have to explain why my CB app now shows a round loader thingy on the screen followed by the famous square spinning clock . This only happens about every 2 monmths and it can go away in as little as 2 hours.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-23-16 10:08 PM
    I learn something new about this device everyday....

So I got a call from a friend that has always showed the full caller ID, name and number, but this time I just saw a number! Good thing I recognized the number because seriously, who knows numbers anymore, we just press the name and hit CALL.

So I later realized that after a reboot and if you have not entered your screen lock encryption passcode yet, you will only see the NUMBER of the person calling. This must be another one of those smart little "Blackberry thought of everything" scenarios for security purposes. Its smart because if someone has your device, why should they get to see the name of a friend calling.

First time that ever happened to me in 10 months of use because my 9900 is used so much it never gets past the 1 hour set default for "screen lock" that I have set

There is still much to learn about this epic little communication device.
    Ursus Rufus and anon(8063781) like this.
    09-23-16 10:16 PM
    10 minutes ago, I had a choice. Preparing to head home after a 13 hr grueling day, my Classic, Passport and 9900 were drained. Waiting on reply from a coworker 10 time zones away. Should I wait for the next bus and wait on Classic or Passport to charge enough to maintain timely contact during the commute home?

I chose to leave the embedded battery devices locked in desk, charging. Swapped in a charged spare into 9900, grabbed briefcase and headed for bus. Felt 99 buzz to life just as elevator stopped at main floor, 2 minutes & 40 seconds later. Extracted 99 from holster and replied to critical msg in left hand while quick-walking to bus with briefcase in right hand. Started this post while waiting to board. Now boarded and standing with left arm around post and posting with left thumb. Briefcase in right hand.

After 5 years with this old friend, it's sometimes worth reflecting on the productive efficiency I too often just take for granted.

Ok, unique LED and vibe pattern tells me coworker just replied...

Tool of livelihood!
    09-23-16 10:37 PM
    10 minutes ago, I had a choice. Preparing to head home after a 13 hr grueling day, my Classic, Passport and 9900 were drained. Waiting on reply from a coworker 10 time zones away. Should I catch the next bus and wait on Classic or Passport to charge enough to maintain timely contact during the commute home?

I chose to leave the embedded battery devices locked in desk, charging. Swapped in a charged spare into 9900, grabbed briefcase and headed for bus. Felt 99 buzz to life just as elevator stopped at main floor, 2 minutes & 40 seconds later. Extracted 99 from holster and replied to critical msg in left hand while quick-walking to bus with briefcase in right hand. Started this post while waiting to board. Now boarded and standing with left arm around post and posting with left thumb. Briefcase in right hand.

After 5 years with this old friend, it's sometimes worth reflecting on the productive efficiency I too often just take for granted.

Tool of livelihood!
    A brilliant vignette. Ever thought of being a writer? Cos it seems you already are!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-23-16 10:40 PM
    A brilliant vignette. Ever thought of being a writer? Cos it seems you already are!

Lol... No writing, just "thumbing"...
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-23-16 10:46 PM
    10 minutes ago, I had a choice. Preparing to head home after a 13 hr grueling day, my Classic, Passport and 9900 were drained. Waiting on reply from a coworker 10 time zones away. Should I wait for the next bus and wait on Classic or Passport to charge enough to maintain timely contact during the commute home?

Tool of livelihood!

Good point Steve! You know often times when I swap a battery and am out the door I am in the habit of keeping the 9900 in my hand until I know it reboots fully because I don't want the device to pocket dial anyone. But then I just realized that I have the screen encryption passcode turned ON, so I don't think that could happen anyway.......
    09-23-16 10:50 PM
    Yep that's true about Apple. Seems like they've always been that way.

Actually the idea to hotspot came because a friend has been given one by an associate. He was wondering if he could simplify his situation (landline with add on LD plan, rocket stick Internet, dumbphone with almost no use factor, all on different contracts & providers). So the idea is get his gifted 9900 on a good plan & hotspot it.

Well I thought let's see how it's done before he pulls the rug out on his other stuff. Using my phone tried everything. No go. No help in the forums. Everything all around the mark but nothing definitive. Seems it's a known problem with Bolds on various versions of BBOS 7.

But tethering works. At least on mine.

So. We shall see.
    Update

Friend could not get Virgin to play ball with him (well, they couldn't get their sh** in a pile) even though he's now on a plan with them. A plan that includes 4 gigs of data & BIS (Berry symbol was showing).

Virgin tech ppl could not figure out how to enable his phone so he could hotspot it or even tether it (using BBDTM) to his laptop. So he is going to abandon it in favour of a midrange older Android slab, as he only wants a phone for data & long distance calling anyway.

Edit: I thought he said it was a 9900 but turns out it is a 9320. Nice phone. Too bad.

Edit: Tested my unlocked 9900 running Fido was not able to run a hotspot but tethering worked. Inserted his Virgin SIM in my Bold & neither one worked.

09-23-16 10:52 PM
    No rest 4U! You have to explain why my CB app now shows a round loader thingy on the screen followed by the famous square spinning clock . This only happens about every 2 monmths and it can go away in as little as 2 hours.
    I have NO clue! But I'll look into it if you'll explain to me why I can't reply via Firefox tonight. :P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    09-23-16 10:59 PM
    Good point Steve! You know often times when I swap a battery and am out the door I am in the habit of keeping the 9900 in my hand until I know it reboots fully because I don't want the device to pocket dial anyone. But then I just realized that I have the screen encryption passcode turned ON, so I don't think that could happen anyway.......
    Yeah, magnetic holster locks it down pretty well. Still feel vibe thru holster.
    09-23-16 11:03 PM
    So, I just bought a fairly good used 9930. No app store! I had to find it from blackberry and download. Then I realised browser is pretty sluggish so I downloaded opera mini. I couldn't find a single good epub reader, so I found a way to download kindle reader directly to my 9930. The phone is supposedly unlocked but being a 9930, I don't think it will work on any USA GSM network. Any thoughts? If not, no big deal, I can save it as a backup pay as I go phone for verizon.

I put some mp3 on the phone, 6.2 gb free. Well gosh that's pretty unlimited for me, since this will not be a game phone. Just kindle reader, music, and epub if I ever find a good reader. Any ideas?

Os is 7.0.1 or something. Is that good enough? Do I need an update? I assume blackberry will have it somewhere on site.

Any good apps I might try?

Passport!
    09-23-16 11:07 PM
    So, I just bought a fairly good used 9930. No app store! I had to find it from blackberry and download. Then I realised browser is pretty sluggish so I downloaded opera mini. I couldn't find a single good epub reader, so I found a way to download kindle reader directly to my 9930. The phone is supposedly unlocked but being a 9930, I don't think it will work on any USA GSM network. Any thoughts? If not, no big deal, I can save it as a backup pay as I go phone for verizon.

I put some mp3 on the phone, 6.2 gb free. Well gosh that's pretty unlimited for me, since this will not be a game phone. Just kindle reader, music, and epub if I ever find a good reader. Any ideas?

Os is 7.0.1 or something. Is that good enough? Do I need an update? I assume blackberry will have it somewhere on site.

Passport!
    I'm happy you got one but I'm concerned if you have no 3G or H+ speeds then you might lose patience with it, especially for downloading apps.
    09-23-16 11:17 PM

Passport!
    If it is unlocked and has a SIM card slot it WILL work on a GSM network. That's the beauty of those 9930s. I used one with an AT&T SIM before.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-23-16 11:35 PM
    Really? I thought the att GSM frequency for USA was not supported by 9930? I know it works outside USA but in usa, it's CDMA because it's a verizon unlocked phone.

Now for WiFi, a Sim card is not needed. And I don't care about the slow download, as most 9930 apps are tiny in size and I won't use the browser much anyway. No games either.

Anyway, so far I love the 9930. Still learning how to use it but it's such a nice device. Questions --

Is there any easy way to check battery charge remaining? Opening up settings every time can't be right.

How do I shut down apps, or is that not necessary? I don't want unused apps running in the background and draining battery if I'm doing something else, unless that's not how the 9930 os works.

How fast does the 9930 charge up? Is fast charge safe or should I just do slowly or through desktop?

Passport!
    09-24-16 12:07 AM
    Really? I thought the att GSM frequency for USA was not supported by 9930? I know it works outside USA but in usa, it's CDMA because it's a verizon unlocked phone.

Now for WiFi, a Sim card is not needed. And I don't care about the slow download, as most 9930 apps are tiny in size and I won't use the browser much anyway. No games either.

Anyway, so far I love the 9930. Still learning how to use it but it's such a nice device. Questions --

Is there any easy way to check battery charge remaining? Opening up settings every time can't be right.

How do I shut down apps, or is that not necessary? I don't want unused apps running in the background and draining battery if I'm doing something else, unless that's not how the 9930 os works.

How fast does the 9930 charge up? Is fast charge safe or should I just do slowly or through desktop?

Passport!
    For battery charge remaining I think we are limited to clicking Options, Device and then the stats or whatever they call it.

Mine takes maybe 3 hours to charge and that's with new batteries. I get 6-11 hours of use, depending on what I'm doing with it.

As for closing apps, press and hold the dotted Blackberry button, then you will see what apps are running in the background. Click the app with the same BB button that you want to close and scroll all the way down to "Close" and click it with the Trackpad.

Hopefully you have at least one spare battery because usually by the time the battery needs to be swapped, doing this takes care of closing any apps at the same time, and keeping the memory fresh.

Another trick is to clear the log, you go to your homescreen and hold "ALT" and then press L,G,L,G then all the logs show, press the dotted BB button and scroll down to "Clear all logs" and click that. I do that and 2 other tricks every day.

Doing all these maintenance tricks takes literally less than one minute when you learn them and it becomes "second nature.". Not a hinderance at all and worth it to have the best Keyboard even created to click away on....
    idssteve likes this.
    09-24-16 12:24 AM

Passport!
    Advance OS & LED provides some pretty useful battery monitoring functions.
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160924_000536.jpg
    09-24-16 01:23 AM
    Advance OS & LED provides some pretty useful battery monitoring functions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160924_000536.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	408896
    I wish there was something like that for my iphone!!!!! When I had the battery swapped in my 5C the charging temps were so hot when I touched the phone I made sure there was no paper around!

I'm curious about the "Temperature." does it show that the temp is higher when charging, etc? I might give that app another try just for the Battery Temp function, based on your pic....

09-24-16 01:33 AM
    I wish there was something like that for my iphone!!!!! When I had the battery swapped in my 5C the charging temps were so hot when I touched the phone I made sure there was no paper around!

I'm curious about the "Temperature." does it show that the temp is higher when charging, etc? I might give that app another try just for the Battery Temp function, based on your pic....

Yep, you can see temp variation during charge, discharge, etc. Shows it & other parameters in notification bar. Also adds to virtually all menus.

AOS also adds screenshot to menu. Just wouldn't do screenshot of that page with parameter selection menu showing so photo with Classic.
    09-24-16 01:53 AM
    Yep, you can see temp variation during charge, discharge, etc. Shows it & other parameters in notification bar. Also adds to virtually all menus.

AOS also adds screenshot to menu. Just wouldn't do screenshot of that page with parameter selection menu showing so photo with Classic.
    I remember it being quite complex with having so much more than what I would ever need. As for the iphone I have tried a half a dozen battery full alert and temp apps and NONE of them worked so I just gave up in ios!

There are just 2 thinngs in a battery app I want, Battery FULL alert and battery TEMPERATURE.

09-24-16 02:01 AM
    Mind you, that is why I have "Event Sounds" turned on under settings on the 9900, but the battery full sound is so mild it may as well be non-existant.

I DO find the Charging Sound very useful when using the desktop pod charger. It only takes one hand at the bedside table to place the device in the charger and with the charging sound you know that it is sitting properly/straight in the charger

09-24-16 02:04 AM

Not for sure about iPhone but embedding a battery down inside limits options for cooling. Our 99's glass fiber battery cover provides 2-3x better heat transfer than polycarb.

Coworkers relate an experience with a damaged JM1 that got pretty exciting. They just popped it out of the 99 and let it burn on the floor. At least the 99 didn't do a Samsung meltdown. Lol.
    09-24-16 02:07 AM
    Not for sure about iPhone but embedding a battery down inside limits options for cooling. Our 99's glass fiber battery cover provides 2-3x better heat transfer than polycarb.

Coworkers relate an experience with a damaged JM1 that got pretty exciting. They just popped it out of the 99 and let it burn on the floor. At least the 99 didn't do a Samsung meltdown. Lol.
    Lol well I am going to try this Battery Booster Advanced Free for a while and see what happens.

It does temp and voice alerts, full charge, down to 20%, and charging, etc 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474703294.499645.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474703308.298572.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474703320.565416.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1474703332.016167.jpg
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-24-16 at 03:03 AM.
    09-24-16 02:48 AM
    Edit: this was yet another worthless Battery app that didn't alert as advertised.
    09-24-16 03:04 AM
    If it is unlocked and has a SIM card slot it WILL work on a GSM network. That's the beauty of those 9930s. I used one with an AT&T SIM before.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Hey Newfangled is back on his Q10 ... welcome back to the land of BlackBerry PKB's
    09-24-16 03:34 AM
8,754 ... 108109110111112 ...