Anyone else here use Opera Mini?

I find that it has little to no trackpad functionality (fine, I use the touchscreen; kind of annoying but whatever) & the thing that is really irksome is that it cannot be closed!

Once it's running that's it! It's running whether I use it or not, until I reboot the 9900. There is no other way to close it down.

That can't be normal. Going to try a delete & reinstall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Hmm, I'm using OM version 8.0.35667, fwiw. Not sure what version you get at BBW but at the time, 2014, had to go to Opera's site & hunt under "other devices", if I recall. It's far from perfect but works on some sites where Native browser doesn't. And visaversa. How well trackpad works with each site depends on the site, but some work nicely. Others jump between targets rather that scroll cursor. CB's site is clunky combo of that for trackpad. Lol. Once you learn the behavior, it become second nature and pages & posts confront much less delay. Especially when in low signal conditions. Functionality, like image posting, is also limited but OM is still my go to for simple text posting on CB. Very fluid text entry. Fwiw.

Navigating Opera's interface itself is too frequently touch oriented. I've configured & programmed countless industrial touch HMIs over 1/4 century. Greatly convenient for the developer. Not so for the user on the floor, imo. Really important things like "Emergency Stop", etc still demand hard wire failsafe. My communications device is really important, to me. No one despises being coerced to use capacitive touch more than myself. That's just life in our virtual universe we think we're creating, tho. Lol.

I generally just leave OM running and my devices seem to tolerate its memory footprint. Fwiw. You should be able to exit & shut down OM by first pressing bb key. Then touching (I know, lol) the big orange "O" in the center, bottom of screen. Touch "exit" on the right bottom of that screen then confirm the nag: "I really do want to exit the phreaking program... Really!!!". Or what ever it is. Lol. Trackpad works fine on the "exit?" Nag. Go figure.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-15-16 08:02 AM
    Wow, so out of the 26 (assuming you still might have close to that number still) how many have remained on the old 9900's?

Please excuse my short reply, I don't feel like typing much on the iPhone
    Fortunately very low turn over so still 26. Including myself. Management has seen to it every one of us now has a 9900, a 9930, Classic, Passport & Z30. Most still use 9900 most.

One crew member transfered back to his home town near Mumbai about year ago. 99 is still his primary carry, last I heard.

Length of post is pretty indicative of device I'm using, also. As you can probably tell, the KB on this 9930 is particularly sweet.
    09-15-16 08:42 AM
    BTW, Opera Mini can also be set to mimic BB keyboard shortcuts. I use I & O zoom, Y for history, R for refresh, T for top, B fir bottom, etc quite a lot. Fwiw.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-15-16 09:43 AM
    Opera mini was quite good on my 9900 but the only problem I had with it is about every two months it would revert back to Spanish and I had to remove the app and reinstall it even though it was set to English.
    09-15-16 04:13 PM
    Anyone else here use Opera Mini?

I find that it has little to no trackpad functionality (fine, I use the touchscreen; kind of annoying but whatever) & the thing that is really irksome is that it cannot be closed!

Once it's running that's it! It's running whether I use it or not, until I reboot the 9900. There is no other way to close it down.

That can't be normal. Going to try a delete & reinstall.

Search around in the settings. There is -- or at least used to be -- a setting to enable an exit option when you press the red "O" button directly on the touchscreen. As Steve mentioned, there's also an option to enable BlackBerry shortcuts. Otherwise, you're correct: some things cannot be done with the trackpad, and must be done with the touchscreen.

I have a love - hate relationship with Opera Mini. It's fast, but limited in functionality, and it's usually responsible for every finger smudge on my screen.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-15-16 08:54 PM
    Search around in the settings. There is -- or at least used to be -- a setting to enable an exit option when you press the red "O" button directly on the touchscreen. As Steve mentioned, there's also an option to enable BlackBerry shortcuts. Otherwise, you're correct: some things cannot be done with the trackpad, and must be done with the touchscreen.

I have a love - hate relationship with Opera Mini. It's fast, but limited in functionality, and it's usually responsible for every finger smudge on my screen.
    Hahahaha ! Thanks. I needed that.

Long day. So will do as you & Steve have suggested & check in here after I've learned some more.

You and Steve, Ralph, David and mushroom_daddy (sorry if I've forgotten anyone, I'm knackered) have been so helpful. Thanks for helping this newb along.

I do understand why the first & most widely recognised nickname of the mobile era was named after an addictive cocaine derivative mixed with a bramble fruit.

I was jonesing for this keyboard all day. I think I might buy a couple more of these. But first things first. Need fresh batteries for swapping & a charger.

it's all about the perfect experience of utility, beauty, size, response... And oh ya, the clickyness.

09-15-16 09:36 PM
    Get a spare 9900 that is a little banged up, pop the sim into that one for when you are on the job

Perhaps a white KB would be better in your situation...

09-16-16 12:38 AM
    My iphone is really burning through the data. I never even thought about trying Opera Mini on the iphone to save some data, (if it is as good on ios) I usually just pop the sim into the 9900 when I need to save that prescious remaining data allowed near the end of the billing period.

09-16-16 12:41 AM
    My iphone is really burning through the data. I never even thought about trying Opera Mini on the iphone to save some data, (if it is as good on ios) I usually just pop the sim into the 9900 when I need to save that prescious remaining data allowed near the end of the billing period.

I wouldn't know about iOS but can see where Opera Mini might help on it. ?? Especially if Opera offers image & video compression on iOS??

Watching my vzw data usage out here on a jobsite over the past month clearly validates BIS data efficiency. My vzw 9930 does the heavy lifting for 90% of my use including quite a lot of Tunein Radio. Yet my BB10 devices, I use mostly for banking etc, eat up 80-90% of data. Go figure.

Personnel of some other contractors out here seem to suspect their iOS & Droid stuff are eating data surreptitiously. They seem unable to locate & stop the "data leaks". ??? These seem to be pretty tech savvy folks. Idk. My crew is VERY glad to have our 99s out here.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-16-16 06:42 AM
    The trackpad on my 9900 isn't really responding. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
    09-16-16 09:09 AM

A few years ago, I had an iPhone 4 from my employer, and Opera Mini worked quite well on it. It was faster, rendered some sites better, and did have data compression.

I guess things to consider when going with Opera Mini are that your data is all directed through Opera servers, the browser part of the business has been sold to Chinese investors (I don't know the laws around government access over there, but I suspect they're different from here), and Opera sync was hacked recently.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-16-16 11:53 AM
    The trackpad on my 9900 isn't really responding. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
    My crew has had trackpads misbehave for lots of reasons. Including contamination by soaked in water, oil, sunscreen, diesel fuel, beer, wine, etc... Observe fingerprints on your fingers thru the side of a drinking glass and then fill the glass and see the difference. That's what a contaminated trackpad is dealing with. Also, we've experienced "sun crazy" theoretically attributable to "fresnel-spectral" effects of micro-scratches on the surface. The only real fix will probably wind up being replacement, afaik.

I've historically found replacement to be 5 minute easy and $5 cheap to simply replace the whole trackpad/keyboard assembly BUT I've luckily had access to a proven batch of OEM keyboards purchased in bulk quantities by my company. A few others on this site have suffered "not-so-easy" experience with non-oem replacements.

Verifying quality replacement parts has gotten to be a gamble, it seems. Ralph finally found a good keyboard and might shed light on a good source??

Otherwise, I'd suggest searching out or starting a troubleshooting thread?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-16-16 01:27 PM
    Ok here's one that's probably easy & I thought I would ask it here as well as doing a search in other fora as well as the whirled wild web, in order to add to the continuing encyclopedic-ification of this thread:

1. How do I change the dollar sign key back to typing a dollar? Somehow it switched to �.

2. Further to that: How does one enable accented characters? (Beyond switching kb (alt + return) or using sym & the onscreen choices?)
    I'm talking about like e accent grave, o with an umlaut, etc. -Is there a way to do this? Perhaps an alt + numeric code as with Windows?

09-16-16 04:36 PM
    My crew has had trackpads misbehave for lots of reasons. Including contamination by soaked in water, oil, sunscreen, diesel fuel, beer, wine, etc... Observe fingerprints on your fingers thru the side of a drinking glass and then fill the glass and see the difference. That's what a contaminated trackpad is dealing with. Also, we've experienced "sun crazy" theoretically attributable to "fresnel-spectral" effects of micro-scratches on the surface. The only real fix will probably wind up being replacement, afaik.

I've historically found replacement to be 5 minute easy and $5 cheap to simply replace the whole trackpad/keyboard assembly BUT I've luckily had access to a proven batch of OEM keyboards purchased in bulk quantities by my company. A few others on this site have suffered "not-so-easy" experience with non-oem replacements.

Verifying quality replacement parts has gotten to be a gamble, it seems. Ralph finally found a good keyboard and might shed light on a good source??

Otherwise, I'd suggest searching out or starting a troubleshooting thread?
    Hmm well the beauty of my Track Pad is that it came included with the keyboard from "PureBrindle" on Ebay.ca I believe. But it looks like there are some available from Amazon.ca like this one.....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B008D2...UvbUpU12590747

09-16-16 10:22 PM
    Ok here's one that's probably easy & I thought I would ask it here as well as doing a search in other fora as well as the whirled wild web, in order to add to the continuing encyclopedic-ification of this thread:

1. How do I change the dollar sign key back to typing a dollar? Somehow it switched to �.
    Options, Typing and Language, Keyboard, and change it.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-16-16 10:25 PM
    Hello everyone,
    is it possible to use BBM without BIS?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB
    09-17-16 01:11 AM
    Hello everyone,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB
    I am not able to. But what is funny is my BBM iphone app can still use BBM and everything except Phone calls and text even with no Sim card installed.

Maybe someone can clarify if the ios BBM app uses BIS? But I think it uses its own system on ios.....

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-17-16 01:46 AM
    I am not able to. But what is funny is my BBM iphone app can still use BBM and everything except Phone calls and text even with no Sim card installed.

Maybe someone can clarify if the ios BBM app uses BIS? But I think it uses its own system on ios.....

Noticed that too. Never imagined it uses BIS at all.

09-17-16 04:47 AM
    Options, Typing and Language, Keyboard, and change it.

Thanks. How interesting there's a dedicated fiddly bit, well inside the options & settings, for one little tiny key! Guess that reveals the original business intention & origins of these phones eh?

So any word on getting accented characters etc?

I'm using Fancy Keys for now. Forgot about it but works well aside from some pesky pushy marketing that pops up.

09-17-16 04:52 AM
    Thanks. How interesting there's a dedicated fiddly bit, well inside the options & settings, for one little tiny key! Guess that reveals the original business intention & origins of these phones eh?

I'm using Fancy Keys for now. Forgot about it but works well aside from some pesky pushy marketing that pops up.

Well, if you're using that a lot, you can add languages to the OS thru Desktop Manager & then switch to that language under Options, Keyboard and Language, "Language". You mght find these languages already installed, depending on the OS that's already installed. Some of us remove many of the unneeded languages to conserve memory.

For not-so-often use, just press and hold letter with one thumb and scroll around with trackpad till the character you want shows up. Certainly not single handed friendly but gets the job done sometimes.
    09-17-16 08:27 AM

I don't even know what that is but it doesn't sound like something I would need for my basic messaging ;-)
    09-17-16 11:42 AM
    I don't even know what that is but it doesn't sound like something I would need for my basic messaging ;-)
    � � � � � � � � � � � � �
    ... And other vowels... Just hold the letter & scroll the track...

I'm far, far, from multilingual but the sun never sets on my global client base. Lol. Other platforms like BB10 provide something analogous but 99 is still a communications beast!
    Ursus Rufus and tinytyke like this.
    09-17-16 02:11 PM
    Hello everyone,
    Only on wifi, alas.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-17-16 03:20 PM
    Ony BBOS phones can or do use BIS.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-17-16 03:27 PM
    Only on wifi, alas.

And if you don't have BIS, not even on WiFi, in my experience.
    09-17-16 04:12 PM
8,754 ... 104105106107108 ...