PS: Any idea what this is about anyone? Comes up lately when i reboot or shut down then start phone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e928cb888a.jpg

PPS: Memory has been good. Had been down to 158 but back up to 165 earlier.

Like what was written here about Bold 99 running fine around 40 megs. Was that you Steve? Sorry cannot backcheck posts when composing.

Anyway ya wondering about this BBM message

Loving my Bold 9900

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    It doesn't look like an important message it's just letting you know that you can back up your BBM or whatever. I would just click OK and be done with it, but that's me :-)
    09-13-16 12:01 AM

PS On the iPhone we can check individual apps and see if they are getting fat as you put it. I know Twitter is bad that way for example so I delete it periodically. Is there a way to monitor or check in on the bloat of specific apps on the 9900?

Thanks.

Options, device, scroll down to Application Management and then swipe left once (but you have to wait a few seconds).

But I have never check to see if the storage space under this changes. I have a feeling that the sizes shown are the original sizes of the file, but not certain. I am not sure if they show the bloat under application management. Anyone?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-13-16 12:05 AM
    09-13-16 12:08 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473743254.773427.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	408263
    U got Application Resource Monitor? It helps keep things cleaned up. Seems like I recall it wasn't included in early 7.1...???
    09-13-16 01:10 PM
    It doesn't look like an important message it's just letting you know that you can back up your BBM or whatever. I would just click OK and be done with it, but that's me :-)
    It comes up e v e r y time I start or restart the phone. Would like to be done with it, aye, but apparently it's not done with me.

PS cannot get CrackBerry app to work when on Wi Fi only.

09-13-16 02:56 PM
    U got Application Resource Monitor? It helps keep things cleaned up. Seems like I recall it wasn't included in early 7.1...???
    Aye have it!

Haven't noticed it doing much (maybe that's a feature of it?) except from time to time it closes the CrackBerry app. The CB app does seem a bit like it's on crack.

:P

I did set up Messages so that it incorporates SMS now. Great. Have to go back & read your instructions on how to enable other alerts.

Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-13-16 at 03:51 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-13-16 03:02 PM
    Aye have it!

Haven't noticed it doing much (maybe that's a feature of it?) except from time to time it closes the CrackBerry app. The CB app does seem a bit like it's on crack.

:P

I did set up Messages so that it now incorporates SMS now. Great. Have to go back & read your instructions on how to enable other alerts.

There are third party mem optimizers, also. I gave up on CB app years ago. Some folks work with it, tho. I like typing posts in Opera Mini best. Not perfect, and few "features" work, but zero typing lag, at least. Too bad Crackberry app is such a pita for a REAL Blackberry... Go figure.

I'm so used to checking messages by pressing 9900's convenience key, I've worn a bright spot on the edge of my Classic where Convenience key SHOULD be... Lol.

Generally gets to messages quickly from within virtually any other app. Typically (not always) closing Messages will resume previous app where left off. Too "convenient" imo. Lol.

Goto Options, Device, Convenience Key... Select "Messages". Fwiw.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-13-16 03:58 PM
    09-13-16 07:29 PM
    Facebook and whatsapp ain't working on the 9900 though
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-13-16 07:31 PM
    Facebook and whatsapp ain't working on the 9900 though
    My same devices!
    Cool!

Don't use Facebook or WhatsApp.
    Sorry to hear they aren't working for you though.

09-13-16 10:58 PM
    Oops my bad that's a Passport.

09-13-16 11:12 PM
    There are third party mem optimizers, also. I gave up on CB app years ago. Some folks work with it, tho. I like typing posts in Opera Mini best. Not perfect, and few "features" work, but zero typing lag, at least. Too bad Crackberry app is such a pita for a REAL Blackberry... Go figure.

I'm so used to checking messages by pressing 9900's convenience key, I've worn a bright spot on the edge of my Classic where Convenience key SHOULD be... Lol.

Generally gets to messages quickly from within virtually any other app. Typically (not always) closing Messages will resume previous app where left off. Too "convenient" imo. Lol.

Goto Options, Device, Convenience Key... Select "Messages". Fwiw.
    Thanks as always!

I'm on it.

Now if I could just get BBM working again...
    : /
    09-13-16 11:14 PM
    Uninstalled BBM. Turned off 99. Reinstalled. Working again.

Hmm is this because I was switching my BBM use between two different devices?

09-14-16 12:18 AM
    No this is just what's under application management, under device
    09-14-16 01:11 AM
    Under Device my latest version 1066 for Verizon shows "Application Resource Monitor" just under "Application Management".

Quick screenshot by FileScout:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-screencapture_20160914-0459.png

Among other things, it'll try to shut down misbehaving apps before they crash the whole system, afaik.

Never played with early & later versions, sided by side, long enough to know but suspect this app might be part of 1066's improved mem-management??
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-14-16 at 06:52 AM.
    09-14-16 06:35 AM
    I was having loading issues too all evening with the CB app on the 9900. Just now finally started working.

Am considering my options but for now the 9900 is working fine with the OS version & the apps I am running and oh ya ever notice people with 9900s can be prone to run-on sentences it's because they can type so fast now if only I could fine a way to protect my keyboard from paint have tried cellophane and such don't even want to try to explain. Just swap my SIM out and use my iPhone. VKB not so vulnerable though the home button & the top speaker are.

Anyroads this wee jewel of a 99 has spoiled me I do not like using a VKB anymore make too many mistakes too much back & forth etc.

I am going to try to get Texts & maybe some alerts or whatever to show in "the original Hub" the way idssteve was explaining. Thx all and good night.

I've used old fashioned ziplock bags to protect my devices against various conditions, including paint. Slows 99 use but still possible to check messages, answer calls, etc. Learned the hard way (around powdered metal production) to blow any ferrous dust off of the bag with compressed air before extracting device. Most devices have magnetic components. Ferrous (iron/steel) dust will follow the device along the bag surface during extraction and leap "sci-fi style" to fatally infect devices. Lol. No such worries with "normal" paints, tho.

And yeah, our 99s' exquisitely ergonomic charms have spoiled us all! . The things charm words from our thumbs in truly enchanting ways! Welcome to the realm of 99 enchantment! You're stuck now... Just blame Ralph... Haha.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-14-16 07:41 AM
    Does anyone else hear a slight hissing sound very faint when you're charging your 9900 on a pod charger
    09-14-16 09:36 PM
    I've used old fashioned ziplock bags to protect my devices against various conditions, including paint. Slows 99 use but still possible to check messages, answer calls, etc. Learned the hard way (around powdered metal production) to blow any ferrous dust off of the bag with compressed air before extracting device. Most devices have magnetic components. Ferrous (iron/steel) dust will follow the device along the bag surface during extraction and leap "sci-fi style" to fatally infect devices. Lol. No such worries with "normal" paints, tho.

And yeah, our 99s' exquisitely ergonomic charms have spoiled us all! . The things charm words from our thumbs in truly enchanting ways! Welcome to the realm of 99 enchantment! You're stuck now... Just blame Ralph... Haha.
    Steve since I'm done playing with iOS 10 I installed it yesterday I'm so ready to go back to the 9900 man I'm just not a happy pappy typing on this glass...
    09-14-16 09:38 PM
    Under Device my latest version 1066 for Verizon shows "Application Resource Monitor" just under "Application Management".

Quick screenshot by FileScout:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenCapture_20160914-0459.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	408318

Among other things, it'll try to shut down misbehaving apps before they crash the whole system, afaik.

Never played with early & later versions, sided by side, long enough to know but suspect this app might be part of 1066's improved mem-management??
    Nope I don't have the Resource Monitor
    09-14-16 09:40 PM
    09-14-16 09:41 PM
    Nope I don't have the Resource Monitor
    Pretty sure it's available in BlackBerry World. Handy little thing.
    09-14-16 09:52 PM
    Steve since I'm done playing with iOS 10 I installed it yesterday I'm so ready to go back to the 9900 man I'm just not a happy pappy typing on this glass...
    Lol, yup, you're hopelessly addicted. Btdt myself. . We're on a site named after a notoriously addictive substance, after all. Lol. Once you succumb to 9900's charms, there's little hope of ever fully escaping the enchantment. Haha!

My whole crew of 26 coworkers wholeheartedly abandoned our 99s for the latest & greatest Z10, early 2013. We expected a learning curve and just kept telling ourselves to stop being old fashioned and embrace & learn the newer, modern, BB10 and we'll ultimately be more productive than ever! We gave it our very best enthusiastic shot.

Nine intense months later I crushed a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar) all over my Z while answering THE most important phone call of that year! Coworkers still tease about my antics. Lol. I was HAPPY the Z was wrecked and blindly jumped into Q10 only to discover the fools had forgotten the freaking TOOLBELT!! Ahrg!! Stupid me for not researching better. Stupid-er RIM for not researching better!!! Imo.

Toughed out that Q another three months until we lost our biggest client to a failure to "end" a call. In response to that calamity, one of my more "out of the box" coworkers dug out his old 99 and then a couple more "smart guys", also. Those three handed me a 99 one day and demanded: "show us ONE thing ZQ does more efficiently..." I played with 99 a few minutes and, after a solid year of not touching one, that old friend felt like I'd just put on the best fitting shoes EVER!

Our office then staged a "mini revolt", told IT where to stick their "Barely Baked Ten" disaster, and dug out or purchased 99's out of our own pockets. The first thing we collectively, and individually, noticed was immediate evaporation of stress!! Almost Zen like. For the first time in a year, mental exhaustion was surprisingly absent when heading home at day's end. Our productivity jumped ahead of where we left off a year ago. Errors virtually disappeared.

Profits generated out of our office soured! 2014 on 9900s set a record! ZQ 2013 was our worst year on record. A competitor surpassed our lead, for the first time in ZQ 2013 (using old 9650s BTW). Management noticed! That BIG client moved back to us once we demonstrated productive precision had been restored. We've reasserted our dominance in our market niche. Life has been good. No small thanks to our dear old 9900s.

It should be noted that my company's use case is quite unique and not necessarily representative of anyone else's. Still, our intense laboratory does provide fascinating ergonomic insight, imo. At least insight into the addictive nature of low stress productivity...
    09-15-16 01:01 AM
    Lol, yup, you're hopelessly addicted. Btdt myself. . We're on a site named after a notoriously addictive substance, after all. Lol. Once you succumb to 9900's charms, there's little hope of ever fully escaping the enchantment. Haha!

My whole crew of 26 coworkers wholeheartedly abandoned our 99s for the latest & greatest Z10, early 2013. We expected a learning curve and just kept telling ourselves to stop being old fashioned and embrace & learn the newer, modern, BB10 and we'll ultimately be more productive than ever! We gave it our very best enthusiastic shot.

Nine intense months later I crushed a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar) all over my Z while answering THE most important phone call of that year! Coworkers still tease about my antics. Lol. I was HAPPY the Z was wrecked and blindly jumped into Q10 only to discover the fools had forgotten the freaking TOOLBELT!! Ahrg!! Stupid me for not researching better. Stupid-er RIM for not researching better!!! Imo.

Toughed out that Q another three months until we lost our biggest client to a failure to "end" a call. In response to that calamity, one of my more "out of the box" coworkers dug out his old 99 and then a couple more "smart guys", also. Those three handed me a 99 one day and demanded: "show us ONE thing ZQ does more efficiently..." I played with 99 a few minutes and, after a solid year of not touching one, that old friend felt like I'd just put on the best fitting shoes EVER!

Our office then staged a "mini revolt", told IT where to stick their "Barely Baked Ten" disaster, and dug out or purchased 99's out of our own pockets. The first thing we collectively, and individually, noticed was immediate evaporation of stress!! Almost Zen like. For the first time in a year, mental exhaustion was surprisingly absent when heading home at day's end. Our productivity jumped ahead of where we left off a year ago. Errors virtually disappeared.

Profits generated out of our office soured! 2014 on 9900s set a record! ZQ 2013 was our worst year on record. A competitor surpassed our lead, for the first time in ZQ 2013 (using old 9650s BTW). Management noticed! That BIG client moved back to us once we demonstrated productive precision had been restored. We've reasserted our dominance in our market niche. Life has been good. No small thanks to our dear old 9900s.

It should be noted that my company's use case is quite unique and not necessarily representative of anyone else's. Still, our intense laboratory does provide fascinating ergonomic insight, imo. At least insight into the addictive nature of low stress productivity...
    Wow, so out of the 26 (assuming you still might have close to that number still) how many have remained on the old 9900's?

Please excuse my short reply, I don't feel like typing much on the iPhone
    09-15-16 02:48 AM

A corker of a story! Good read; thanks for sharing.

PS yes I have tried the sandwich bag / cellophane technique and - this is just me - I would just rather not risk it.

Even with due diligence I destroyed my first qwerty phone back in 2009 or 10. That was a Samsung Link. So, no great loss, haha.

Still I switched to all glass phones after that but always missed a full PKB.

So ya just not going to risk it with my precious beautiful 9900.

09-15-16 05:44 AM
    Anyone else here use Opera Mini?

I find that it has little to no trackpad functionality (fine, I use the touchscreen; kind of annoying but whatever) & the thing that is really irksome is that it cannot be closed!

Once it's running that's it! It's running whether I use it or not, until I reboot the 9900. There is no other way to close it down.

That can't be normal. Going to try a delete & reinstall.

09-15-16 06:04 AM
8,754 ... 103104105106107 ...