Remember this?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/12/son...es-after-hack/

Worth a mention again

Also read that as of 2011 there were no known Trojans for Blackberry. Wonder if that still holds true.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-11-16 04:37 AM
    I've also got the White Envelope icon as one of my 5 constantly running apps, it has to be or we likely wouldn't get any pushed emails.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-11-16 04:39 AM
    Remember this?

Sony Went Back To Old BlackBerry Devices After Hack | Ubergizmo

Worth a mention again

Also read that as of 2011 there were no known Trojans for Blackberry. Wonder if that still holds true.

FWIW, I keep asking but have not yet heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who's experienced a confirmed case of compromised security on BBOS or BB10. ??? Not that I'm in position where i necessarily WOULD hear. Has anyone here heard of a confirmed case?

That said, "external" threats have developed since BBOS's last update. My company's IT has warned against using our 99's for anything financial requiring a password or credit card #s. Fear of "man in the middle" exploits, as I understand. I think someone in another thread has tested his 9900 and found settings that may partially mitigate such threats?? Idk. My security expertise is next to zero so, right or wrong, all of my financial stuff gets done on updated BB10. FWIW.

As far as OS targeted trojans etc, BBOS & BB10 are currently relatively tiny market share. We might find some comfort in the hope that maybe malware authors find greater return on effort by focusing their misguided talents on bigger, more productive, targets?? Idk.

I DO ponder the potential vulnerability of the incomprehensible quantity of world wide information potentially accessible by Google/android... A lot of eggs for one basket, it seems. ??? Surely a more tempting target than our 99's ?? Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-11-16 at 07:18 AM.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-11-16 07:02 AM
    I DO ponder the potential vulnerability of the incomprehensible quantity of world wide information potentially accessible by Google/android... A lot of eggs for one basket, it seems. ??? Surely a more tempting target than our 99's ?? Lol.
    Hah hah... Personally, I look at Google's business model and wonder if anyone using Android would even care about privacy or security.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Ursus Rufus and Berry Happy 2 like this.
    09-11-16 07:30 AM
    Hah hah... Personally, I look at Google's business model and wonder if anyone using Android would even care about privacy or security.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Google's "pirate" ethics are demonstrably incompatible with my own. Too many old friends from a former life at Sun, I guess. Lol.
    09-11-16 10:05 AM
    Those were the apps that I always had running. Looks normal to me.
    OK thanks.

Have another question for you:

Do you notice when you check Options > Device > Storage > Application Storage (that's RAM right?) that it keeps shrinking?

Mine goes down a bit every day and even over the course of a few hours sometimes.

It was around 185 a couple of days ago & now even though I've added no apps or anything in the interval, it is down to 162.

Hmm so @ a rate like that, there is about a fortnight left...

09-11-16 11:19 AM
    I use Messages to handle email, sms/mms, missed calls, alerts, etc. 24/7. Do you use it? Never saw it not loaded on my BIS 99's. Gotta have it running to get alerts when incoming emails, etc show up. Mine's set to unique audible & led notifications for type and individual contacts via Advance OS & Led. Of course our non-BIS 99's use Logic Mail.

I set Messages (or Logic Mail) to convenience key. Convenience key then handily pops up Messages from virtually ANY other app ANYwhere. Handier than BB10's excellent hub, imo.

Typically press convenience key while withdrawing device from holster so that emails, texts, missed calls, alerts, etc are up and showing before eyes first view device. Checked VERY frequently. Convenience key programmed to Messages is by far my most used key. I, myself, can't visualize life without Messages running on 9900. Unless you're not on BIS??
    Hi Steve. A very interesting read, this. Thanks for answering my questions & asking good follow ups.

First things first yes I do have BIS because it comes standard with all current postpaid plans with my carrier.

Next I do have & use the Messages app quite a bit, though on my Bold it only incorporates email & PMs from my Twitter friends. Have never seen missed calls or MMS or SMS show up in there, let alone alerts etc.

For clarity: You mean the white envelope icon on the left of the home screen right? Not the thin banner that runs just beneath the time? If you do mean the latter then yes I get all manner of notifs and communications when I click on that! But even there I notice a separator between emails (what it calls "Messages") & Text Messages & Calendar alerts etc.

As for convenience key hmmm I will have to consider that. Verrry interesting!

Last thing: So my "Application Storage" seems to be losing weight, not sure why. It's gone from a fairly healthy 185 to about 160 in just a few days LOL.

So I'm wondering about installing that lovely looking "Advance OS & LED" app! Not sure that it wouldn't contribute to that problem... : /

Thanks for the help.

09-11-16 11:44 AM
    OK thanks.

Do you notice when you check Options > Device > Storage > Application Storage (that's RAM right?) that it keeps shrinking?

Mine goes down a bit every day and even over the course of a few hours sometimes.

It was around 185 a couple of days ago & now even though I've added no apps or anything in the interval, it is down to 162.

BBOS suffers abysmal memory "garbage collection". Aka "memory leak". I've talked with a few "smart guys" who feel that was an issue that might have possibly been correctable but... Here we are. As is, some apps are worse garbage litter bugs than others but re-boot will, sooner or later, eventually be required.

Several apps, including Advance OS & Led, can automate routine re-boots. I set mine to re-boot every 4:00AM. Three minutes per day, while (hopefully ) sleeping, is the small price we pay for enjoying our wonderfully comfortable 99s.

I use deReset for that automated reboot instead of Advance OS & Led because of compatibility issues with the modified lock app I'm using to turn off touch interface. Otherwise AOS is fine for that.

I also power my 99s mostly thru battery swaps. True wireless freedom! . Also cleans memory garbage.
    09-11-16 12:03 PM
    Hi Steve. A very interesting read, this. Thanks for answering my questions & asking good follow ups.

First things first yes I do have BIS because it comes standard with all current postpaid plans with my carrier.

Next I do have & use the Messages app quite a bit, though on my Bold it only incorporates email & PMs from my Twitter friends. Have never seen missed calls or MMS or SMS show up in there, let alone alerts etc.

For clarity: You mean the white envelope icon on the left of the home screen right? Not the thin banner that runs just beneath the time? If you do mean the latter then yes I get all manner of notifs and communications when I click on that! But even there I notice a separator between emails (what it calls "Messages") & Text Messages & Calendar alerts etc.

As for convenience key hmmm I will have to consider that. Verrry interesting!

Last thing: So my "Application Storage" seems to be losing weight, not sure why. It's gone from a fairly healthy 185 to about 160 in just a few days LOL.

So I'm wondering about installing that lovely looking "Advance OS & LED" app! Not sure that it wouldn't contribute to that problem... : /

Thanks for the help.

Yep, talking about the white envelope icon "Messages". Enable sms display in it by opening it. Press bb key, scroll (or "O" key shortcut) to "Options". Then "Inbox Management". Then select which email accounts to display and toward bottom of list select "Text Messages". The individual email & text accounts still have dedicated icons that I arrange in a dedicated folder but all selected here will show up in "Messages" also.

Been too many years since I set these up so there might be other refinements...

Some things can be a pita to set up but, once there, pretty safe to say we won't have to repeat setup because of OS "updates" on our 99s. Lol.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-11-16 01:02 PM
    BBOS suffers abysmal memory "garbage collection". Aka "memory leak". I've talked with a few "smart guys" who feel that was an issue that might have possibly been correctable but... Here we are. As is, some apps are worse garbage litter bugs than others but re-boot will, sooner or later, eventually be required.

Several apps, including Advance OS & Led, can automate routine re-boots. .
    Earlier versions of OS7 were more prone to memory garbage than the latest version, at least that's my observation / conclusion. Memory handling seemed to improve vastly when I updated to the O2 UK version and lockups and battery pulls became much rarer.

Similarly I also deployed AOS & LED to automate memory flushing (every 6 hours) and do nightly reboots, highly recommended to keep your 9900 running smoothly
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 09-11-16 at 02:29 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-11-16 02:18 PM
    FWIW, I keep asking but have not yet heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who's experienced a confirmed case of compromised security on BBOS or BB10. ??? Not that I'm in position where i necessarily WOULD hear. Has anyone here heard of a confirmed case?

That said, "external" threats have developed since BBOS's last update. My company's IT has warned against using our 99's for anything financial requiring a password or credit card #s. Fear of "man in the middle" exploits, as I understand. I think someone in another thread has tested his 9900 and found settings that may partially mitigate such threats?? Idk. My security expertise is next to zero so, right or wrong, all of my financial stuff gets done on updated BB10. FWIW.

As far as OS targeted trojans etc, BBOS & BB10 are currently relatively tiny market share. We might find some comfort in the hope that maybe malware authors find greater return on effort by focusing their misguided talents on bigger, more productive, targets?? Idk.

It's always something I am curious about because we rely on this device so much, but that's about the most comprehensive answer I have ever heard on it actually

The sim is still in the iphone until ios10 is out in a couple days but I was glad I could block a 1-888 number today that was some spam or automated response, and I sure wish I could do that on the 9900 without an app. It's just so awesome being able to hit "Block this Caller." So at least they cannot call even if I am using the 9900 now .

09-11-16 03:58 PM

Yesterday I was talking to the guy that lives in my building and he has a computer repair buisness. I teased him about Android malware with their app store, etc and he said he was working on 2 Apple viruses this week. I told him that the Podcast I like mentioned last year there were 8,000 Android viruses, etc. written for Android and for Apple there were only SUPPOSEDLY 8, yes 8. If that's true, I don't know but it would make sense for hackers to write malware for the more common and cheaper OS because they could target more victims, etc. (As Steve implied)

I think our BB's are simply not worth the "effort."

09-11-16 04:02 PM
    OK thanks.

That's not bad. I start with around 150 mb's and at the end of the day (if I didn't have to reboot) it might be down to 70 or so with normal functioning. It's normal.

Even my iphone has to have certain commonly used apps removed and reinstalled because they "get fat" and too big, and they take up too much room.

09-11-16 04:04 PM
    Earlier versions of OS7 were more prone to memory garbage than the latest version, at least that's my observation / conclusion. Memory handling seemed to improve vastly when I updated to the O2 UK version and lockups and battery pulls became much rarer.

Similarly I also deployed AOS & LED to automate memory flushing (every 6 hours) and do nightly reboots, highly recommended to keep your 9900 running smoothly
    For me anyway, I don't even want to use the space this app would take, even if it is 10 mb's. I don't mind swapping batteries and that takes care of the problem in 7 hours or so when it is about to die anyway I have tried that app, it IS AMAZING for all we can do with it, but I don't really need all that dazzle or even the functionality.

I have to swap batteries so often that it's just not necessary, basically.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-11-16 04:09 PM
    @Ursus, looking deeper I've found a couple additional settings that might prove relevant to working SMS in "Messages".

In Messages, Options, Text Messaging ... "Show SMS/MMS Mode Notifications" is checked on mine.

In Messages, Options, Emergency Alert Messages... all message types are selected.

I'm still trying to recall how I got phone calls to show in Messages. Possible it's default behavior?? Still pondering.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-11-16 05:06 PM
    For me anyway, I don't even want to use the space this app would take, even if it is 10 mb's. I don't mind swapping batteries and that takes care of the problem in 7 hours or so when it is about to die anyway I have tried that app, it IS AMAZING for all we can do with it, but I don't really need all that dazzle or even the functionality.

I have to swap batteries so often that it's just not necessary, basically.

No better garbage cleaner than battery swaps. Most days, using JM1s, I routinely swap 1-3 times per day. Depending on how much cradle time 99 gets.

Of course running several days on my monster 5000mah battery is where memory flush and auto reboot are nice.

Like Mushroom Daddy pointed out, OS versions make quite a difference also. Memory management efficiency improved on a version only to get worse on the next iteration. Last version was best, thankfully.
    09-11-16 05:33 PM
    OK thanks.

I never really had problems with memory. I don't know why. I have often thought that not using BIS is much easier on the device, but after reading through the thread, Steve's point about better memory management in the last version is just as likely to be the reason.

I've gone very long periods of tjme without a battery pull or three-ring salute -- at a couple of points I had gone for more than a month, and could have done that regularly if I wasn't always experimenting.
    idssteve and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-11-16 07:49 PM
    I never really had problems with memory. I don't know why. I have often thought that not using BIS is much easier on the device, but after reading through the thread, Steve's point about better memory management in the last version is just as likely to be the reason.

I've gone very long periods of tjme without a battery pull or three-ring salute -- at a couple of points I had gone for more than a month, and could have done that regularly if I wasn't always experimenting.
    Reading through all these posts ..

Thanks everyone.

So it becomes clearer with time that just rebooting does not seem to do more than slow the loss of available RAM. Perhaps it will just settle in somewhere as it seems to have done on Ralph's? In the 70 zone? That's. Like 10% of capacity. Hahah. Whatever I guess eh?

Options:

1. Get more batteries and a charger. . And swap out often.
    I will order some Duracells* and one of those wall chargers online.

*Or might ... Might ... get these JTMs I've heard about.

2. Download & upgrade to that O2UK release (?).

But Ralph & others (?) seem happy with older versions & I like mine too though the memory leakage does bug me a bit.

3. Reboot. Reboot. Reboot.

4. Delete and restore apps. Just like I do already from time to time on iPhone.

5. Consider using AOS & LED.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-12-16 at 05:13 AM.
    09-11-16 10:44 PM
    Reading through all these posts ..

Thanks everyone.

So it becomes clearer with time that just rebooting does not seem to do more than slow the loss of available RAM. Perhaps it will just settle in somewhere as it seems to have done on Ralph's? In the 70 zone? That's. Like 10% of capacity. Hahah. Whatever I guess eh?

Options:

1. Get more batteries and a charger. . And swap out often.
    I will order some Duracells* and one of those wall chargers online.

*Or might ... Might ... get these JTMs I've heard about.

2. Download & upgrade to that O2UK release (?).

But Ralph & others (?) seem happy with older versions & I like mine too though the memory leakage does bug me a bit.

3. Reboot. Reboot. Reboot.

4. Delete and restore apps. Just like I do already from time to time on iPhone.

5. Consider using AOS & LED.

Am I missing anything?

Hmm, I guess I'd wonder what low memory symptoms you're having? Lock ups? Spinning clock? (Or is it an hourglass? Can't recall). BBOS gets an amazing amount done with relatively tiny amounts of memory. Because of some special apps, built in house for my company's use, the 9930 I'm using this morning has only 41M memory. No problems with anything I'm doing. I switch between Verizon 9930 & Att 9900 depending on signal at particular jobsites. Can't recall seeing the infamous "spinning clock" since upgrading to 1066, about Dec of 2013, as I recall. That includes some prolonged (several months?) periods where this 9930 lived on cradle charging with zero battery swaps or manual reboots. It has always had the 4AM reboot scheduled but that got cancelled for at least a week at a time while I worked "grave yard". Some things got "sluggish" during those periods but letting it auto reboot during days off restored happy.

That period didn't include things like facebook or even BBM (long story) so... FWIW.

I, personally, can't speak highly enough of latest OS, from my experience. For memory management, battery life, signal, etc. These final versions seemed to have received some special love from departing BBOS devs on their way out the door, imo. BUT, individual situations differ. Things like carrier, etc ya kno. So if you're happy as is, I generally agree with "don't fix it till it's broke". So AYOR... Lol.

I use ASY-18976-003 spare battery chargers EVERYwhere... at desk, bedside, livingroom... Especially useful in cars & truck.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-12-16 07:40 AM
    Yep, talking about the white envelope icon "Messages"

Ursus Rufus and idssteve like this.
    09-12-16 08:06 PM

I personally feel like it's the more apps the more memory bleeding there is, I have 49 apps on my iPhone and the ones that I use the most always have the biggest bleeding or data loss whenever we want to call it.

PS: responding on the iPhone now using voice to text and I just don't even feel like responding unless I'm on the 9900 ha ha but I'm having some loading issues with the CrackBerry forum on the 9900 and I don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact that my Sim card is in the iPhone for this next few days. But usually it works fine.
    Ursus Rufus and anon(8063781) like this.
    09-12-16 11:00 PM
    I personally feel like it's the more apps the more memory bleeding there is, I have 49 apps on my iPhone and the ones that I use the most always have the biggest bleeding or data loss whenever we want to call it.

PS: responding on the iPhone now using voice to text and I just don't even feel like responding unless I'm on the 9900 ha ha but I'm having some loading issues with the CrackBerry forum on the 9900 and I don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact that my Sim card is in the iPhone for this next few days. But usually it works fine.
    I was having loading issues too all evening with the CB app on the 9900. Just now finally started working.

Am considering my options but for now the 9900 is working fine with the OS version & the apps I am running and oh ya ever notice people with 9900s can be prone to run-on sentences it's because they can type so fast now if only I could fine a way to protect my keyboard from paint have tried cellophane and such don't even want to try to explain. Just swap my SIM out and use my iPhone. VKB not so vulnerable though the home button & the top speaker are.

Anyroads this wee jewel of a 99 has spoiled me I do not like using a VKB anymore make too many mistakes too much back & forth etc.

I am going to try to get Texts & maybe some alerts or whatever to show in "the original Hub" the way idssteve was explaining. Thx all and good night.

09-12-16 11:33 PM
    I was having loading issues too all evening with the CB app on the 9900. Just now finally started working.

Am considering my options but for now the 9900 is working fine with the OS version & the apps I am running and oh ya ever notice people with 9900s can be prone to run-on sentences it's because they can type so fast now if only I could fine a way to protect my keyboard from paint have tried cellophane and such don't even want to try to explain. Just swap my SIM out and use my iPhone. VKB not so vulnerable though the home button & the top speaker are.

Anyroads this wee jewel of a 99 has spoiled me I do not like using a VKB anymore make too many mistakes too much back & forth etc.

I am going to try to get Texts & maybe some alerts or whatever to show in "the original Hub" the way idssteve was explaining. Thx all and good night.

Ha ha yeah that's so true hey I just want you to clarify so how much memory do you start the day with on your 9900 and what is it say after six or eight hours? Like I'm just trying to figure out what you're not too happy about LOL.
    09-12-16 11:35 PM
    PS: Any idea what this is about anyone? Comes up lately when i reboot or shut down then start phone.

PPS: Memory has been good. Had been down to 158 but back up to 165 earlier.

Like what was written here about Bold 99 running fine around 40 megs. Was that you Steve? Sorry cannot backcheck posts when composing.

Anyway ya wondering about this BBM message

Loving my Bold 9900

09-12-16 11:43 PM
    Ha ha yeah that's so true hey I just want you to clarify so how much memory do you start the day with on your 9900 and what is it say after six or eight hours? Like I'm just trying to figure out what you're not too happy about LOL.
    Hey Ralph LOL it usually was falling 20 to 25 MB per day but seems stable in the 160 zone now. I was probably just obcomming a bit. Heh. Will keep you posted though.

PS On the iPhone we can check individual apps and see if they are getting fat as you put it. I know Twitter is bad that way for example so I delete it periodically. Is there a way to monitor or check in on the bloat of specific apps on the 9900?

Thanks.

09-12-16 11:52 PM
8,754 ... 102103104105106 ...